Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Level 50 Pirate - with Level 35 Nautical

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 01, 2012
All my pirates have nautical that lags far behind. Is that normal?

Since my level 50 pirate can't gain regular experience (and only has the two quests), I've been using the time to start trying to level up the nautical (so she can use armour for her Royal Navy Heavy Galleon). It's a slow slog. What are the best fights?

I want fights with the most points, but that won't take so long, or knock down the ship's life so far (or, heaven forbid, get boarded) that she could've fought 3 or 4 smaller battles and made more total points.

I don't suppose you can redo any of the quests that gave nautical points, can you?

When can we get a new land?

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
Almost Shiny on Feb 13, 2013 wrote:

Since my level 50 pirate can't gain regular experience (and only has the two quests), I've been using the time to start trying to level up the nautical (so she can use armour for her Royal Navy Heavy Galleon). It's a slow slog. What are the best fights?

I want fights with the most points, but that won't take so long, or knock down the ship's life so far (or, heaven forbid, get boarded) that she could've fought 3 or 4 smaller battles and made more total points.

I don't suppose you can redo any of the quests that gave nautical points, can you?

Even with new land you would need to farm that nautical till lvl 50, i could suggest you 2 ways:

1. faster way (group): find a group of ppl fighting jade fleet ships in Tsubata skyway, in general when you see groups farming go with them.

2. long way (solo): farm ships in Tsubata, with a galelon you should be able to shink even jade fleet but if they are hard for you since they are lvl 48-49, search for other ships at around lvl 45, if you find some boss on a ship stop to farm him, boss ships give more xp and usually 3° tier gear (example if normal ships could give light/medium armor, the boss one drops the heavy).

With the first method i gone from 42 to 50 in about a hour and half .

Bosun
May 10, 2010
I have sometimes been a bit behind in my nautical level from my pirate level, but I usually like to farm ships and raise my nautical level. I like to be able to equip better gear, better ships, better attacking horns and cannons, so I dont board every ship, I get friends together and we have a ship sinking party where we blast ships out of the water and raise nautical level rather quickly.

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2012
yar, nautical lag is so annoying

i have the same experience with nautical, yes you can group and grind and scream and holler but the fact is that nautical leveling is the worst part of this game

i would say that your experience is normal

i can grind for a while but, lets face it, waiting for the seconds to tick down to use a ship attack is the most boring thing in this game

Community Leader
Nautical level only "need" be as high as the ship, and ship gear that you wish to use in the game requires. They did add some nautical level quest rewards as of going live that helped to keep the nautical up some for each pirate as they level, but its not required they be kept even.

I am happy to have something to work on (my nautical) having already maxed out my pirate and finished quests. I dont see any reason why they should level evenly, they are different aspect/challenges within the game.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Lieutenant
Feb 03, 2012
We should be getting side quest that give us massive amounts of nautical experience instead of the normal experience, let's admit it, everyone can get to lvl 50 easy with the main quest, if nautical leveling is optional, it would only make sense to include it in side quest, sicne it's also optional and gives the player some motive to actually complete side quest.

Ensign
May 01, 2012
As far as I know, I've completed every side quest except the knives - and I haven't completed that because I don't have access to all the areas yet (because I stopped advancing my main pirate after I realized all those points weren't counting - and the next quest has over 1300 points). It's possible that there was some character around a corner with an exclamation point over their head that I just didn't see - but I think I got all of them. And still, she made it to 50 with a nautical of 34. I've since raised it to 37. I'd like the get to at least 44 so she can equip her ship better. But at 200-250 per fight, it's just taking SO LONG - at it's pretty boring.

I wish there was more skill/choice involved in sea battles. Instead of "3, 2, 1 - ok, click on that again". I've played games on my iPhone or read a book while I'm fighting those battles. I kid you not.

Community Leader
Almost Shiny on Feb 17, 2013 wrote:
As far as I know, I've completed every side quest except the knives - and I haven't completed that because I don't have access to all the areas yet (because I stopped advancing my main pirate after I realized all those points weren't counting - and the next quest has over 1300 points). It's possible that there was some character around a corner with an exclamation point over their head that I just didn't see - but I think I got all of them. And still, she made it to 50 with a nautical of 34. I've since raised it to 37. I'd like the get to at least 44 so she can equip her ship better. But at 200-250 per fight, it's just taking SO LONG - at it's pretty boring.

I wish there was more skill/choice involved in sea battles. Instead of "3, 2, 1 - ok, click on that again". I've played games on my iPhone or read a book while I'm fighting those battles. I kid you not.
As far as stopping questing because you dont want to lose points. Nothing wrong with this approach however you will slowly fall further and further behind the games content, as they ALWAYS provide plentiful XP in the game to progress with each update even if every single quest had already been completed to that point. Each addition has ample XP to reach the next level cap on its own. Sometimes its worth questing just to keep "reading the story". ;)

When I am working on ships with my friends, we dont have any spare time!
Its actually a race to get a single attack in on a ship to get credit for it!!!
We have a blast doing it, getting a level raise every few minutes 15-20 for the upper levels.

Although I do not entirely disagree with you on how easy sea battles are, many think they are too difficult as it is. I do not envy KI in their attempts to balance the ship system. And for the record, when I am that strong ship wise, I take on 3-4 ships at once for some fun challenge (instead of multitasking).

The game itself has many facets, not just one facet (ie questing). No need for nautical to raise along with pirate level. It should raise as they pursue ship handling expertise.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Sep 14, 2011
just while we're on the subject of ship battles, try fighting skull island monquistan ships with your very first ship and no gear for it (and don't get boarded) also there's a boss ship a little bit past and to the right of Jonah Town, try fighting that to.

Ensign
Feb 12, 2012
My nautical level is worse than your's on my Swashbuckler, and i maxed out, so don't be ashamed.

Ensign
Feb 12, 2012
that was kind of my problem to but grinding is really the only way. I know I know bad idea but go to subata skyway in mooshu and near that snowy place there's a lot of amber hoarde ships. Somtimes you will see groups of ships fighting them. Then you get a lot of nautical XP! I am not commodore yet, only captain. Hope this helps!

Fearless Connor Underwood

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
If you don't make it a point of beating up additional ships just for NXP as you go along, your nautical level always falls behind your regular experience level. There was about a seven or eight level gap for my first pirate to hit lvl 50, and on the next one I made it a point of sinking more ships as I went along, and he was probably about NL 46 or 47 when he hit 50 in his class. The next two I have been working on are also lagging about 4 or 5 nautical levels behind their character levels.

OFxSaint: "As far as stopping questing because you dont want to lose points. Nothing wrong with this approach however you will slowly fall further and further behind the games content, as they ALWAYS provide plentiful XP in the game..."

In Wizard, my wife and I have been using the stop-questing-when-we-hit-the-experience-cap approach, and we are not falling further behind, noticeably. We seem pretty consistently to make it about 75% of the way through a new region before we max out. (Almost hit the wall in Azteca - we are both level 89 and c. 80% of the way to 90).

In terms of increasing nautical level, the fastest way (as already noted above) is team up with one or more people.

Administrator
Sidenote (sorry to barge in here) I have to say that the Community run Nautical Exp parties that some of our fan sites run are an absolute blast! Nautical Exp just FLIES when you attend (or run into) one of these parties happening in the skyway, and there's nothing quite like seeing a massive fleet taking down ships all at once. I've heard from many people that this is one of their favorite aspects of the game. If you haven't attended one of these, I highly recommend it!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Community Leader
You can get the most nautical XP per ship sunk by attacking ships at or above your own level. The further above the enemy ship your level is, the less NXP you get for sinking it.

If you can get into the game when it's busiest - late afternoon & evenings East Coast time, or weekend afternoons - and go to the busiest Realm you can (usually Avery) - you'll likely be able to find & help other pirates who need the same ships you're working on. Click on an enemy ship that's already taking fire from someone & blast away.

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Gunner's Mate
Nov 01, 2012
Sierra Starsong on Apr 11, 2013 wrote:
You can get the most nautical XP per ship sunk by attacking ships at or above your own level. The further above the enemy ship your level is, the less NXP you get for sinking it.

If you can get into the game when it's busiest - late afternoon & evenings East Coast time, or weekend afternoons - and go to the busiest Realm you can (usually Avery) - you'll likely be able to find & help other pirates who need the same ships you're working on. Click on an enemy ship that's already taking fire from someone & blast away.
Yes that is true i personally really hate having to destroy 12 ships because usually my ship isnt strong enough to handle other strong ships so when i hear you have to destroy 6 ships i get so happy and i know many of you will say just use gold to buy a better ship that can handle those ships, now i may have a lot of gold but i dont like buying new ships until i REALLY NEED THEM which only in cases when my ship gets hit with one attack and it drops my ships health down 50% which was happening in tumbleweed skyway when i was using my monquistan ship and that was when i finally bought a new ship. As for the nautical xp thing i agree with, but the way i handled it was by going back to ships that are easier to defeat and get like 200 nautical xp pe ship and now im nautical lvl 50. Another thing is also those quests where they give you nautical xp as a reward that was a big help in gaining like 5 levels especially in MS where all they ask you to do is gather things from the skyways and thats it and they give you like 400 nautical xp a quest which i loved that so KI pleasedo that for the future worlds. Thank you!
Find me in the game
Slick Cody Jones privateer lvl 50
Merciless Ethan Jenkinsswashbuckler lvl 49

Lieutenant
May 06, 2012
One-Eyed Jack on Apr 11, 2013 wrote:
Sidenote (sorry to barge in here) I have to say that the Community run Nautical Exp parties that some of our fan sites run are an absolute blast! Nautical Exp just FLIES when you attend (or run into) one of these parties happening in the skyway, and there's nothing quite like seeing a massive fleet taking down ships all at once. I've heard from many people that this is one of their favorite aspects of the game. If you haven't attended one of these, I highly recommend it!
Wow how do u find one?

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2012
sorry one-eyed-jack, that is the last thing i can think of as fun or a blast! one reason, good luck getting your click on the ship before it is sunk!

the nautical lag is the most annoying aspect of the game even as i travel from quest to quest i sink ships all along the way and still my nautical is a lag trap

Ensign
Apr 26, 2010
I was even alil lower on nautical level when I reached my first level 50, I think it is because Mooshu dont focus alot on battling ships is why you cant level up as quickly. I just feel there should be more nautical exp when it comes to ship related quests.

Administrator
Doctor Z on Apr 11, 2013 wrote:
Wow how do u find one?
A few of the fan sites will host them (The Pieces of Eight Podcast usually has one ever couple of weeks)! Visit them often, and you may find one you can attend.

Petty Officer
Jan 18, 2013
Almost Shiny on Feb 13, 2013 wrote:

You're lucky, i'm level 50 but my nautical lvl is even lower than yours

Ensign
Dec 06, 2012
One-Eyed Jack on Apr 11, 2013 wrote:
How do you get into a party? When I have seen another shipping attacking the enemy and tried to join my ship just ignores the battle and waits until I get too close to another ship that is not in a battle. I guess I do not understand the idea of farming for nautical experience.

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2010
Old Pirate on May 8, 2013 wrote:
How do you get into a party? When I have seen another shipping attacking the enemy and tried to join my ship just ignores the battle and waits until I get too close to another ship that is not in a battle. I guess I do not understand the idea of farming for nautical experience.
in ms sub skyway i see many people attacking jade ships. if its more than 2 its a farm for exp or someone helping. No harm in a click and firing off a shot at these. I have joined many and my NL is 50 it helps the people trying to get to 50 too :-) also when i was 50 for the first time my NL was like 16 dont feel bad :) its all even now but was not in the start thats what i get for being 50 in less than a week when p101 was new :)

Administrator
Old Pirate on May 8, 2013 wrote:
Hi! This is something I touched on a bit in a Newsletter article a few months ago. Hope this helps!

"The answer is simply a matter of targeting the enemy ship and using the power buttons.

Step 1: Either click on the ship you want to target or use the bracket keys ("[" or "]") on the keyboard to select a ship as your current target.

Step 2: Either click the power buttons on the screen or use the 1-4 buttons on your keyboard to activate powers and begin combat."