Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

To bring Boochbeard bundle to live realm

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 25, 2012
On the sixth of Tuesday I was doing a Moo Manchu run with some pirates in team up. On the third fight one of my fellow pirates used a companion called Iron Tom Kidd. It also said it was a cat marauder of swashbuckler class. I saw Iron Tom Kidd use his epic strike. It did about one thousand damage, pretty powerful for an epic strike. I decided that I wanted to have that companion for myself. I did some research on wiki on how I could get that companion. I found Iron Tom Kidd comes from a retired bundle that was only available in the beta realm. It came with an assortment of items, a companion, and a one year member or sixty thousand crowns all for the price of about ninety dollars. It was the Boochbeard bundle! I personally think that is quite a deal. I think that KI should bring the Boochbeard bundle to the live realm. Please post if you agree the Boochbeard bundle should be brought to the live realm.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
OptimisticOctavio on Aug 11, 2015 wrote:
On the sixth of Tuesday I was doing a Moo Manchu run with some pirates in team up. On the third fight one of my fellow pirates used a companion called Iron Tom Kidd. It also said it was a cat marauder of swashbuckler class. I saw Iron Tom Kidd use his epic strike. It did about one thousand damage, pretty powerful for an epic strike. I decided that I wanted to have that companion for myself. I did some research on wiki on how I could get that companion. I found Iron Tom Kidd comes from a retired bundle that was only available in the beta realm. It came with an assortment of items, a companion, and a one year member or sixty thousand crowns all for the price of about ninety dollars. It was the Boochbeard bundle! I personally think that is quite a deal. I think that KI should bring the Boochbeard bundle to the live realm. Please post if you agree the Boochbeard bundle should be brought to the live realm.
Unfortunately KingsIsle has permanently retired that bundle and they mean what they say. Permanent means permanent. This company has integrity and that means a lot to me, even if it means I can't have the Boochbeard Bundle.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
OptimisticOctavio on Aug 11, 2015 wrote:
This comes up time and time again, and the answer is always the same.

The bundle is retired. It's not coming back. Those of us who missed it, missed it, and there's nothing to be done.

Ensign
Mar 04, 2010
anecorbie on Aug 11, 2015 wrote:
Unfortunately KingsIsle has permanently retired that bundle and they mean what they say. Permanent means permanent. This company has integrity and that means a lot to me, even if it means I can't have the Boochbeard Bundle.
This is the case in Wizard also. Once retired that's it. But WAIT they have a thing called Throw Back Thursday. On this day, and only for that day, they bring back items from bundles allowing newer players the chance to acquire some of those very coveted items, mounts, etc. This would be a great idea for Pirates. It would solve the problem of newer pirates missing out on retired bundles AND , very importantly to Anecorbie, keep the integrity of the company intact.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
crowmagus on Aug 11, 2015 wrote:
This is the case in Wizard also. Once retired that's it. But WAIT they have a thing called Throw Back Thursday. On this day, and only for that day, they bring back items from bundles allowing newer players the chance to acquire some of those very coveted items, mounts, etc. This would be a great idea for Pirates. It would solve the problem of newer pirates missing out on retired bundles AND , very importantly to Anecorbie, keep the integrity of the company intact.
Throwback Thursday does indeed bring back retired items- packs, and houses, pets, and mounts from bundles. But the Boochbeard bundle is a retired beta bundle. KingsIsle has officially said that it will not return. I'm tired of seeing these kinds of posts; it isn't that hard to do a message board search and realize that the issue has already been addressed and closed multiple times.

The bundle is permanently retired. There will be no throwing back on Thursdays. End of story.

I apologize for being this frank about it, but it seems that people cannot realize that the bundle won't be coming back.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
crowmagus on Aug 11, 2015 wrote:
Yes, but you never see the pioneer dragon available on TbT, do you?

I'd love to have more of the wonderful cat pirates and skarakeets for my other accounts as well, but I've resigned myself to never seeing that happen. It sucks, but I'd rather only one account gets the cat and birds than KI break its promise to permanently retire the bundle.

I would hope that KI would be honest enough with us to keep its promise that if you were able to get it in beta you would be part of a unique group and not weasel out of that promise like a politician post election.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Aug 11, 2015 wrote:
Throwback Thursday does indeed bring back retired items- packs, and houses, pets, and mounts from bundles. But the Boochbeard bundle is a retired beta bundle. KingsIsle has officially said that it will not return. I'm tired of seeing these kinds of posts; it isn't that hard to do a message board search and realize that the issue has already been addressed and closed multiple times.

The bundle is permanently retired. There will be no throwing back on Thursdays. End of story.

I apologize for being this frank about it, but it seems that people cannot realize that the bundle won't be coming back.
Misty, you got to realize one fact - it's that CAT, everybody wants that cat! Although I agree that permanent is permanent, a Throwback Thursday seems a good option. Also the Boochbeard Bundle was available for a limited time when Pirate101 came officially on-line.
If KI of P101 team should decide to do a Throwback Thursday, may I put in a request for That Cat?
Here, kitty, kitty
^..^

Ensign
Mar 04, 2010
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Aug 11, 2015 wrote:
Yes, but you never see the pioneer dragon available on TbT, do you?

I'd love to have more of the wonderful cat pirates and skarakeets for my other accounts as well, but I've resigned myself to never seeing that happen. It sucks, but I'd rather only one account gets the cat and birds than KI break its promise to permanently retire the bundle.

I would hope that KI would be honest enough with us to keep its promise that if you were able to get it in beta you would be part of a unique group and not weasel out of that promise like a politician post election.
You have the bundle dont you? I got a very strong impression you have the bundle and would like to remain in the elite strata of having gotten it. People that have something that is desired usually would prefer that it not be made available to others.

Throwback doesnt have to offer the whole bundle - It could offer select items from the bundle - a one day one shot offer only done on a thursday.

And then you could have your skarakeets on your multiple accounts.

And unlike politicians it would not be breaking a promise - they don't have to ever offer the bundle again - just a dribble or trickle - a taste of what only the elite posses.

Ensign
Mar 04, 2010
MistyDragon13 on Aug 11, 2015 wrote:

There is a difference between offering pieces of a bundle and offering a bundle - apples and oranges kind of thing.

And I never suggested offering the bundle again. I am sorry if I was remiss in indicating that only pieces of the bundle should be offered. As to end of story - Unless I miss my mark you do not have the authority to decide these factors.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
The difference between the Boochbeard bundle and retired Wizard bundles is that KI marketed the Boochbeard bundle as a limited edition, will-never-be-available again deal. Retired Wizard bundles are just older bundles that have been rotated out - so there is no issue should they decide to make them (or parts of them) briefly available again.

To me, the ideal compromise is what essentially KI already did with the Dread Pirate outfit from that bundle: create something that looks enough like the original to make people who like that style happy, but varied enough that the retired DPO from the BB is still distinctly different.

As anecorbie says, it is pretty much always the CAT that people really really want. I think (speaking as someone who has two of the BB cat companions) that KI should release a cat - different color, different outfit, different mix of epics* - who looks reasonably similar to the BB cat. So the promise that the BB bundle will never be available again is maintained, but people who would love to add a lanky roguish kitty to their crew may do so.

I don't think owners of the original cat would feel particularly betrayed if something similar was available again, and I think having something similar would satisfy most people who regret having missed the original. Maybe KI could take a poll of players with the original cat to see if they would object if his cousin became available. I would sure vote yes, because like Firorenza I would love to have more of my pirates with cats.

-Indigo

*The cats with the flash clothes, top hats, and daggers you run into in Marleybone are a good example of what I mean: same basic body type, but different fur and very different outfits.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I remember well the debates when the original bundles were announced. Were they "worth it," etc., Many, many Beta players were already thinking their crews were too filled with "useless" companions and pronounced the poor Cat Pirate lame due to lack of exciting epics.

I love my Cat Pirate, and the fact that he is a very rare Companion, but I can't switch him around to all of my characters, so if I could buy another Cat Pirate for the rest of my characters, I don't have any problem with KI releasing a clone Cat Pirate in the Crown Shop someday. They could always give it a slightly different name, like Cat Smuggler Pirate or something.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
crowmagus on Aug 12, 2015 wrote:
You have the bundle dont you? I got a very strong impression you have the bundle and would like to remain in the elite strata of having gotten it. People that have something that is desired usually would prefer that it not be made available to others.

Throwback doesnt have to offer the whole bundle - It could offer select items from the bundle - a one day one shot offer only done on a thursday.

And unlike politicians it would not be breaking a promise - they don't have to ever offer the bundle again - just a dribble or trickle - a taste of what only the elite posses.
Fiorenza isn't the type of person who would deny other players from getting a choice companion simply because she has it. She was merely defending KI choice to permanently retire a bundle, without being harassed into changing their minds.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Willowydream on Aug 12, 2015 wrote:
I remember well the debates when the original bundles were announced. Were they "worth it," etc., Many, many Beta players were already thinking their crews were too filled with "useless" companions and pronounced the poor Cat Pirate lame due to lack of exciting epics.

I love my Cat Pirate, and the fact that he is a very rare Companion, but I can't switch him around to all of my characters, so if I could buy another Cat Pirate for the rest of my characters, I don't have any problem with KI releasing a clone Cat Pirate in the Crown Shop someday. They could always give it a slightly different name, like Cat Smuggler Pirate or something.
I can agree with this. I DON'T have the Cat Pirate, but it doesn't make me upset and angry about KI not bringing it back on a Thursday. It was available to the people who'd been around for Beta. I would have gotten it, but unfortunately, I did not receive any news about Pirate101 Beta from KI. I began my adventure on the first day of the live realm. I believe that even then it was available, but it was FAR too expensive for me, and I also believed that it should be reserved for the people who tested the game. I have a bit of solace in owning the Ninja Pig. However, the Ninja Pig was distributed in a great way. You solved a puzzle, and you got not just one code, but FIVE of them to give to your friends. It was a good way to share the wealth......thus here is MY idea. The Cat Pirate is distributed on Pirate101's next anniversary, but with a catch. All players who are at max level (meaning they have spent money and lots of time in the game, sort of like a loyalty reward) get 5 codes for the Cat Pirate, and then they distribute them to other players through the game, spreading the Cat Pirate around to other players! It could be done just the same way with the Ninja Pig as well! You guys can discuss this as much as you want. Vote for it or criticize it.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
crowmagus on Aug 12, 2015 wrote:

Actually, if you were to look back at the previous threads about the bundle, you'd see that I have been one of the people suggesting even then that a similar-looking cat would be a nice compromise. I'm not generally a person who cares about elite stuff and I greatly resent that you would even suggest that without knowing me at all. I'm content enough to buy the budgies available from the gift cards to have a bird on the other accounts.

Clearly I have the bundle, or I wouldn't have commented about the skarakeets, would I?

A broken promise is a broken promise, even if it's only slightly broken. What good is KI's word on anything when they break promises made about one thing?