Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Chess and the Armada

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Ok, so I have 2 things that I would like to talk about in this post:
1: Could they add Chess to the mini games? It makes sense as you literally can see chess pieces on the table. I have always thought it would be really cool if they could add a chess minigame, where you could see the in-game models acting as if the board was a game of "wizard's chess". You could unlock it once you have played through most of the story, and you could use your companions as "pieces". Bonnie Anne as Bishop, Starter Companion as Knight, Hawkules or Ratbeard as Rook, You would play as either the king or the queen (I feel like it would make sense for you to be the king, as you command everything, or maybe the queen, as you are the most powerful). El Toro would probably take the position you do not take. The enemy would of course be the armada, (Rooke as the Rook, Bishop as Bishop, Deacon as Knight, Kane as King, Queen/Dame/Whateverhernameis As Queen, Phule as pawn). I was also thinking about a version where the Commodore is king, Mordecai is Rook, Vadima is Bishop, Morgan is Queen, Fish Eye is Knight, and so on. Now this may not be a possibility, but I thought it would be cool.

2: This is just a theory of mine, and it may be completely off, but what if Phule in this game, plays more of a role as the "Queen" (as in chess) then "Dame" herself? There is a theory that Dame is basically the Public Relations for the Armada. Now if Dame is the Public Relations person in the armada, then it would seem that she would need to stay secure and not move around to much (Like the King) and if she is revealed, then all of Valencia will know about how bad the armada is, which basically means that they lose control of the region. Now in the game of chess, the queen acts like a combination of a Rook and a Bishop. Think about what Phule is. He seems very much like a mix between Rooke (His Dark side, where he is brutal), and Bishop (His "light" side, where he seems to look at a situation to see how it would benefit him, very much like a egotistical mastermind). The queen is also the opposite of the knight, which it seems is what Deacon is, which makes sense, as Phule seems to be the opposite of Deacon, Deacon being very rational, while phule is... not.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Voodoo Cornelius on Apr 23, 2015 wrote:
1: Could they add Chess to the mini games? It makes sense as you literally can see chess pieces on the table. I have always thought it would be really cool if they could add a chess minigame, where you could see the in-game models acting as if the board was a game of "wizard's chess". You could unlock it once you have played through most of the story, and you could use your companions as "pieces". Bonnie Anne as Bishop, Starter Companion as Knight, Hawkules or Ratbeard as Rook, You would play as either the king or the queen (I feel like it would make sense for you to be the king, as you command everything, or maybe the queen, as you are the most powerful). El Toro would probably take the position you do not take. The enemy would of course be the armada, (Rooke as the Rook, Bishop as Bishop, Deacon as Knight, Kane as King, Queen/Dame/Whateverhernameis As Queen, Phule as pawn). I was also thinking about a version where the Commodore is king, Mordecai is Rook, Vadima is Bishop, Morgan is Queen, Fish Eye is Knight, and so on. Now this may not be a possibility, but I thought it would be cool.

2: This is just a theory of mine, and it may be completely off, but what if Phule in this game, plays more of a role as the "Queen" (as in chess) then "Dame" herself? There is a theory that Dame is basically the Public Relations for the Armada. Now if Dame is the Public Relations person in the armada, then it would seem that she would need to stay secure and not move around to much (Like the King) and if she is revealed, then all of Valencia will know about how bad the armada is, which basically means that they lose control of the region. Now in the game of chess, the queen acts like a combination of a Rook and a Bishop. Think about what Phule is. He seems very much like a mix between Rooke (His Dark side, where he is brutal), and Bishop (His "light" side, where he seems to look at a situation to see how it would benefit him, very much like a egotistical mastermind). The queen is also the opposite of the knight, which it seems is what Deacon is, which makes sense, as Phule seems to be the opposite of Deacon, Deacon being very rational, while phule is... not.
I like the idea of chess or checkers being added as a mini game; not so sure that using our crew or us as chess pieces would be work-able.
On the subject of Phule; did you know there is a version of chess called "Jester Chess"? This uses an extra piece called The Jester and is played on a 10 x 10 square board. The jester piece/s have no assigned move, it replicates a move of a previously moved piece - for example: if a bishop was moved last, then the jester would mimic this move. ( As if chess needed to be more difficult, ha! )

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Voodoo Cornelius on Apr 23, 2015 wrote:

i don't really think the armada needs public relations considering it an army of robot saviors(reference to my thread for those who didn't see it) they could basically oppress everything in a region and no one could stop them, PR in Valencia is completely useless considering its skyways are completely theirs, other worlds already hate them so PR is useless there too, I would imagine the dame being more of an assassin or even sort of a justicar, eliminating the most dangerous armada rebels and threats, or she may even be the personal warden of the one who created kane.....

anyway we don't know enough about her

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
For those who missed zuto4011's post; it's titled - THEORY: Armada saviors. A very interesting hypothesis and well worth reading again.
Zuto, maybe you should re-post it and support your arguments with new evidence.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
public relations, eh? interesting, but I don't think that the Armada is especially concerned with their geopolitical appearance at the moment. I personally think that she is either meant to be some kind of companion to Kane or some kind of Diplomat. I mean, someone must have engineered the Armada's relationship with Mooshu for those cows to allow an entire foreign military fleet through their skyway when we had to hide in a barrel to get a single pirate to rokugara.

True, Rooke WAS there, but the denizens of Mooshu seem to be very keen on etiquette, and i get the impression that Rooke is not the most . . . tactful . . . Member of Kane's court.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Apr 24, 2015 wrote:
i don't really think the armada needs public relations considering it an army of robot saviors(reference to my thread for those who didn't see it) they could basically oppress everything in a region and no one could stop them, PR in Valencia is completely useless considering its skyways are completely theirs, other worlds already hate them so PR is useless there too, I would imagine the dame being more of an assassin or even sort of a justicar, eliminating the most dangerous armada rebels and threats, or she may even be the personal warden of the one who created kane.....

anyway we don't know enough about her
I searched and could not find your post, do you mind linking that? Also wouldn't the fact that the skyways is completely theirs be enough reason to have a PR person. There was already a resistance that rose up, and I imagine that they would want to make sure that did not happen again. They would want to make sure that no Valencians escaped and reported the armada's inner-working to the outside world. And something that has been bothering me is why the armada even allows anyone to be in Valencia in the first place... Why are all of these unicorns allows to live here? What purpose do they have for the Armada? I have been thinking about that, and here is something I just thought of:

What if the Armada is limited by the 3 laws of Robotics? Those are by the way:
1. A robot may not harm a human, or through inaction, allow a human to come to harm.
2. A robot must do what it is told to do by a human as long as it does not conflict with the 1st Law.
3. A robot must preserve itself for as long as it can, as long as it does not conflict with the 1st or 2nd Law.

The way that the Machines get around this is the reasoning that: Humanity > Individual Humans and that Humans don't know how to take care of themselves, and that robots could do it better. This allows for the robots to attempt to take over all of humanity.

Now take the Human part out of that and replace it with Valencian, and you could see why the armada is preserving all of the Valencians that in reality, serve almost no purpose to further their goals. The best way to have control over the Valencians after the revolutions would be to cut the people off from the most rebellious skyway, (The one we can access) and convince everyone that they are protecting them. Anyway just an Idea, Critique as you wish.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Voodoo Cornelius on Apr 25, 2015 wrote:
I searched and could not find your post, do you mind linking that? Also wouldn't the fact that the skyways is completely theirs be enough reason to have a PR person. There was already a resistance that rose up, and I imagine that they would want to make sure that did not happen again. They would want to make sure that no Valencians escaped and reported the armada's inner-working to the outside world. And something that has been bothering me is why the armada even allows anyone to be in Valencia in the first place... Why are all of these unicorns allows to live here? What purpose do they have for the Armada? I have been thinking about that, and here is something I just thought of:

1. A robot may not harm a human, or through inaction, allow a human to come to harm.
2. A robot must do what it is told to do by a human as long as it does not conflict with the 1st Law.
3. A robot must preserve itself for as long as it can, as long as it does not conflict with the 1st or 2nd Law.

The way that the Machines get around this is the reasoning that: Humanity > Individual Humans and that Humans don't know how to take care of themselves, and that robots could do it better. This allows for the robots to attempt to take over all of humanity.

Now take the Human part out of that and replace it with Valencian, and you could see why the armada is preserving all of the Valencians that in reality, serve almost no purpose to further their goals. The best way to have control over the Valencians after the revolutions would be to cut the people off from the most rebellious skyway, (The one we can access) and convince everyone that they are protecting them. Anyway just an Idea, Critique as you wish.
Or alternatively, they are not yet in the position to completely take over and whatever is in El Dorado will allow this.
Huh, I haven't seen Asimov's Laws of Robotics in action among the clockworks of the Armada. Perhaps 'G' forgot to add those protocols.
The Lady Elite could very well be a diplomat, but when diplomacy fails an assassin could step in and remove an 'obstruction'.
Phule could be a spy himself.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Blixet on Apr 25, 2015 wrote:
public relations, eh? interesting, but I don't think that the Armada is especially concerned with their geopolitical appearance at the moment. I personally think that she is either meant to be some kind of companion to Kane or some kind of Diplomat. I mean, someone must have engineered the Armada's relationship with Mooshu for those cows to allow an entire foreign military fleet through their skyway when we had to hide in a barrel to get a single pirate to rokugara.

True, Rooke WAS there, but the denizens of Mooshu seem to be very keen on etiquette, and i get the impression that Rooke is not the most . . . tactful . . . Member of Kane's court.
But that instance of the Armada being allowed entry to Mooshu skyways is exactly where you would use a PR person, or a diplomat.

I disagree completely with the idea that the female elite must a companion to Kane, they're clockwork automatons, they don't need companions. And I also disagree with it because everyone who says that the female elite is Kane's companions seems to base this simply because she is female, kinda like, "Aha, the clockwork is female, it must not have any actual purpose other than to be Kane's companion."

No, the clockworks do need a public relations expert, or a diplomatic leader. You wouldn't want the richer denizens of Valencia putting their money behind the resistance movement. Yes, a few of the Valencians would join the resistance, but many would be either too scared, or would think that they could gain something by helping the clockworks. Keeping this rift going between the resistance and non-resistance in Valencia would be very important, and it would be the main job of a P.R. elite.

Next, Kane would require a trusted elite to look after the diplomatic relations between Valencia and other worlds. Valencia is mostly at peace with the other worlds, the war in Marleybone was started because we made Valencia and Marleybone think that their treaty had been broken. Treaty's are written by diplomats.

I'd say the female elite would be perfect as a diplomat, mainly because of how the majority of people on the boards are already underestimating her, placing her in the position of consort, or even wanting to believe the the female elite might be good, and will turn against Kane by joining the pirates. And, all because she appears female.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Voodoo Cornelius on Apr 25, 2015 wrote:

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-tavern/theory-armada-saviors-8ad6a4184641eb740146600ec8bb58f2?page=1 here is the link and anecorbie I might do that