Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Is Mustang Sally Good?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 18, 2013
I am a swashbuckler, level 25 and I know that I will be getting Mustang Sally around level 34-40ish. I just want to know if Mustang Sally is good or not. (As in is she worth leveling up, worth putting as one of my mains, ect). I know that El Toro is good, of course, but I have my doubts about Sally. It would be awesome if someone would tell me if she is worth leveling her up and tell me what epic is best to put on her.

Thanks!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FierySilverWolf on Nov 2, 2014 wrote:
I am a swashbuckler, level 25 and I know that I will be getting Mustang Sally around level 34-40ish. I just want to know if Mustang Sally is good or not. (As in is she worth leveling up, worth putting as one of my mains, ect). I know that El Toro is good, of course, but I have my doubts about Sally. It would be awesome if someone would tell me if she is worth leveling her up and tell me what epic is best to put on her.

Thanks!
Yes, she's good and worth leveling, and I'm hoping that she'll get a promotion soon.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Thanks!
Hi Wolf, welcome to the message boards.
In my humble opinion, all my companions are worth leveling up. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and yea there are the powerhouses but they all add to the fun mix. Since they can go and get training tomes for you, just keep the less favored ones gathering them and you can keep your whole crew strong. Ya just never know when you may need one to step up for you after a hard run of battles has put your A Team to bed for much needed rest.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Admiral
May 30, 2010
I like Sally well enough, but she's not exactly El Toro, is she? Whether you think her worth leveling is going to depend on your play style, really. She's good enough that I keep her in the "don't put them to work unless they go out of action" group of my companions if that helps at all.

A couple of things to consider -- get her as dodgy as you can, since she's not exactly overwhelmed with hit points. A combination of riposte and dodgy is good. Mine doesn't seem to want to crit as often as her hubby does, so one blade storm is probably plenty. She's decent, but probably not going to be one of your 'workhorse' (no pun intended) crew. Sarah Steele is better in my opinion. OTOH, she still hits more often than do the witchdoctors, and is less likely to drop like a rock the second an enemy glowers at her.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Like I always say, it depends.
You can make Mustang Sally into a Swashbuckling Swashbuckler, a companion who can greatly impact your chances in winning a fight or you can make Mustang Sally be pretty weak compared to some companions and this can cause her to greatly impact your chances of losing a fight.
I'd say give her dodgy and agile to make her a very useful companion, then again, every companion can be useful no matter what, it just depends on how you use them, really.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
Well, Mustang sally IS a good companion, but not really one i would keep at my side for battles. when you first get her, she is good, but quickly loses value because of your other companions that get promoted while sally does not. so although she is very much a decent companion, she does live in the shadow of sarah, toro, and flans because of a lack of abilities and promotions.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012

Thanks!
There are tiers regarding companions. Sally is not a top tier companion. I wouldn't even rank her among the second or third tier companions. She fits in the same category as the lizard guy from Cool Ranch and the little monkey dudes from Monquista. I leveled her to max after I had maxed most of my other companions and just kept hitting the gold cap and needed something to spend it on. I would concentrate on others before I worried about leveling her. I rank companions as follows. My first tier would be the two class companions Chantal and Quint. Also in the first tier are Bonnie Anne...an original companion, Zeena...a quest companion and Nausica...a bundle companion. Nausica actually almost belongs in a class by herself. I think she is the best companion in the game when it comes to dealing damage. Then comes the other class companions and the rest of the original companions. The original companions are the ones that are given to pirates when they first start the game and they make up my second tier. They are much better than the others you pick up along the way with the exception of El Toro and Ratbeard, who I think should be included in the second tier. Then comes the third tier which includes companions like Goronado and Samocles. Some people would argue that these companions are as good as the originals but I would disagree. I would take Kan Po over Goronado or Samocles any day. After those guys comes the fourth tier which is...everyone else. That is where I would rank Sally...in the fourth tier. I suppose that if I took a little more time I could do a more accurate and comprehensive job of ranking companions than this, but beyond the examples I have given, the differences would start to become very small.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Spiral Cowboy on Nov 5, 2014 wrote:
There are tiers regarding companions. Sally is not a top tier companion. I wouldn't even rank her among the second or third tier companions. She fits in the same category as the lizard guy from Cool Ranch and the little monkey dudes from Monquista. I leveled her to max after I had maxed most of my other companions and just kept hitting the gold cap and needed something to spend it on. I would concentrate on others before I worried about leveling her. I rank companions as follows. My first tier would be the two class companions Chantal and Quint. Also in the first tier are Bonnie Anne...an original companion, Zeena...a quest companion and Nausica...a bundle companion. Nausica actually almost belongs in a class by herself. I think she is the best companion in the game when it comes to dealing damage. Then comes the other class companions and the rest of the original companions. The original companions are the ones that are given to pirates when they first start the game and they make up my second tier. They are much better than the others you pick up along the way with the exception of El Toro and Ratbeard, who I think should be included in the second tier. Then comes the third tier which includes companions like Goronado and Samocles. Some people would argue that these companions are as good as the originals but I would disagree. I would take Kan Po over Goronado or Samocles any day. After those guys comes the fourth tier which is...everyone else. That is where I would rank Sally...in the fourth tier. I suppose that if I took a little more time I could do a more accurate and comprehensive job of ranking companions than this, but beyond the examples I have given, the differences would start to become very small.
I completely disagree about your assessment of Sally; she is in my second tier of companions, in fact above Shiruku! She criticals for me fairly often and I have used her in many battles.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
anecorbie on Nov 5, 2014 wrote:
I completely disagree about your assessment of Sally; she is in my second tier of companions, in fact above Shiruku! She criticals for me fairly often and I have used her in many battles.
Negative sir. Sally is nowhere close to belonging in the second tier. She has no power cards, no heals, no nothing. Shiruku at least has a power card. Sally may do okay while battling NPC's, but if we were to pvp I could show you why Sally belongs in the bottom tier of companions. 99.9% of the time, any companion that has a power card should be ranked ahead of those that do not. Why? Because it's a guaranteed hit. Also, since the last update, Buccaneer and Musketeer companions that have critical hit power cards to use will also trigger epics like Double Tap and Bladestorm. As I said the second tier (for me anyway) consists of companions like El Toro, Ratbeard, Sarah and Kan Po. All of which are much much better than Sally. The third tier consists of companions like Goronado, Argos and Samocles. Again...all of which have power cards to use and are much better than Sally. If Sally had a heal or a buff or a guaranteed critical, then yes, she would rank higher. But until then she will be watching from the sidelines...where she belongs.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Spiral Cowboy on Nov 6, 2014 wrote:
Negative sir. Sally is nowhere close to belonging in the second tier. She has no power cards, no heals, no nothing. Shiruku at least has a power card. Sally may do okay while battling NPC's, but if we were to pvp I could show you why Sally belongs in the bottom tier of companions. 99.9% of the time, any companion that has a power card should be ranked ahead of those that do not. Why? Because it's a guaranteed hit. Also, since the last update, Buccaneer and Musketeer companions that have critical hit power cards to use will also trigger epics like Double Tap and Bladestorm. As I said the second tier (for me anyway) consists of companions like El Toro, Ratbeard, Sarah and Kan Po. All of which are much much better than Sally. The third tier consists of companions like Goronado, Argos and Samocles. Again...all of which have power cards to use and are much better than Sally. If Sally had a heal or a buff or a guaranteed critical, then yes, she would rank higher. But until then she will be watching from the sidelines...where she belongs.
El Toro doesn't have an epic, only a buff, so making a comparison based on cards is a fallacy. Shiruku, even with her epic, does not do as well as Sally. I don't care about PVP! This thread is about whether Sally is worth leveling and using in PVE situations. She will always remain one of my favorite companions ( even if she is not as good as Fan or Sarah ).
I'm hoping with a promotion that I can move Sally up to first tier where she belongs!
Really, you've put El Toro, Ratbeard, Sarah and Kan Po in the second tier? And you consider companions like Goronado, Argos and Samocles as third tier? Who do consider worthy of first tier, then?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
I must chime in with Esperanza here (anecorbie) and say as well that Mustang Sally is in my second tier of companions. Sometimes (since I like to switch companions around) she is even in my first tier. It is true, as Spiral Cowboy argues, that she is not the very strongest of companions. El Toro is a much stronger companion, true, though side by side in a fight Mustang Sally can sometimes outlast him (she seems to dodge more) and she does riposte very well.

Acknowledging then that there are others that are 'better' companions, why do I often bring Mustang Sally into a battle? I simply like her. I like her looks, her fighting style; I love her criticals. She has style. In the same fashion, on my privateer I keep my little Monquisitor initiate on the first page; he is such a feisty little guy, and his critical just makes me laugh with delight.

As for most battles, Mustang Sally can handle it. I of course keep an eye on her (all swashbuckler companions are naturally vulnerable), and I have heals in my deck and -if necessary- 'gallant defense'. But most of the time she can simply laugh at the enemy and survive along with the rest of my companions. And yes, I do bring her out in the Tower of Winter's Fury -- the lower levels. She can handle those wicked Pigs quite nicely...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Nov 6, 2014 wrote:
I must chime in with Esperanza here (anecorbie) and say as well that Mustang Sally is in my second tier of companions. Sometimes (since I like to switch companions around) she is even in my first tier. It is true, as Spiral Cowboy argues, that she is not the very strongest of companions. El Toro is a much stronger companion, true, though side by side in a fight Mustang Sally can sometimes outlast him (she seems to dodge more) and she does riposte very well.

Acknowledging then that there are others that are 'better' companions, why do I often bring Mustang Sally into a battle? I simply like her. I like her looks, her fighting style; I love her criticals. She has style. In the same fashion, on my privateer I keep my little Monquisitor initiate on the first page; he is such a feisty little guy, and his critical just makes me laugh with delight.

As for most battles, Mustang Sally can handle it. I of course keep an eye on her (all swashbuckler companions are naturally vulnerable), and I have heals in my deck and -if necessary- 'gallant defense'. But most of the time she can simply laugh at the enemy and survive along with the rest of my companions. And yes, I do bring her out in the Tower of Winter's Fury -- the lower levels. She can handle those wicked Pigs quite nicely...
Nicely said, the both of you. *Blows a Mustang Sally kiss*

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
anecorbie on Nov 6, 2014 wrote:
El Toro doesn't have an epic, only a buff, so making a comparison based on cards is a fallacy. Shiruku, even with her epic, does not do as well as Sally. I don't care about PVP! This thread is about whether Sally is worth leveling and using in PVE situations. She will always remain one of my favorite companions ( even if she is not as good as Fan or Sarah ).
I'm hoping with a promotion that I can move Sally up to first tier where she belongs!
Really, you've put El Toro, Ratbeard, Sarah and Kan Po in the second tier? And you consider companions like Goronado, Argos and Samocles as third tier? Who do consider worthy of first tier, then?
As I clearly stated...Quint, Chantal, Zeena, Bonnie Anne and Nausica are my first tier. This thread will become quite long if you keep asking me to repeat myself. You said that you don't PVP and that's fine, but that's where the differences between companions becomes glaringly obvious. You admitted that I have tested these companions in ways that you have not since I have tried them all in PVP and you haven't. That would seem to indicate that I have a better working knowledge of how these companions perform in a wider variety of circumstances than you do. Also, El Toro and the others you mentioned as being my second tier companions, consistently outperform Goronado and Samocles. Basing their rankings on power cards is not a fallacy because many times that guaranteed hit can mean the difference between winning or losing. El Toro's buff is an accuracy and dodge buff for your entire team and makes a huge difference because again...it increases your ability to do damage to your opponent while avoiding taking damage yourself...whether it's PVE or PVP. Like I said, I could go into greater detail as to why I rank these companions this way. It always has to do with power cards, heals and talents like Hold the Line etc. These abilities can be game changers and help you get through the game faster.The differences in companions not only shows up in PVP, but also in the harder dungeons. I have completed the Moo Manchu Tower several times without losing a single companion, except in the battle with the Nefarious Five...can't ever seem to make it through that one unscathed. Try doing the tower with Sally as your companion and see how long she lasts. Lastly, the question was whether or not Sally was worth leveling and I have answered it. She is worth leveling after you have leveled the many companions that rank above her and have nothing else to spend your gold on. No offense, but I do believe that most experienced players would agree with me. I have maxed three pirates and have a mid level Privateer and a mid level Buccaneer and I rarely lose at PVP so I think I have quite a bit of experience upon which to base my opinion.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Spiral Cowboy on Nov 7, 2014 wrote:
As I clearly stated...Quint, Chantal, Zeena, Bonnie Anne and Nausica are my first tier. This thread will become quite long if you keep asking me to repeat myself. You said that you don't PVP and that's fine, but that's where the differences between companions becomes glaringly obvious. You admitted that I have tested these companions in ways that you have not since I have tried them all in PVP and you haven't. That would seem to indicate that I have a better working knowledge of how these companions perform in a wider variety of circumstances than you do. Also, El Toro and the others you mentioned as being my second tier companions, consistently outperform Goronado and Samocles. Basing their rankings on power cards is not a fallacy because many times that guaranteed hit can mean the difference between winning or losing. El Toro's buff is an accuracy and dodge buff for your entire team and makes a huge difference because again...it increases your ability to do damage to your opponent while avoiding taking damage yourself...whether it's PVE or PVP. Like I said, I could go into greater detail as to why I rank these companions this way. It always has to do with power cards, heals and talents like Hold the Line etc. These abilities can be game changers and help you get through the game faster.The differences in companions not only shows up in PVP, but also in the harder dungeons. I have completed the Moo Manchu Tower several times without losing a single companion, except in the battle with the Nefarious Five...can't ever seem to make it through that one unscathed. Try doing the tower with Sally as your companion and see how long she lasts. Lastly, the question was whether or not Sally was worth leveling and I have answered it. She is worth leveling after you have leveled the many companions that rank above her and have nothing else to spend your gold on. No offense, but I do believe that most experienced players would agree with me. I have maxed three pirates and have a mid level Privateer and a mid level Buccaneer and I rarely lose at PVP so I think I have quite a bit of experience upon which to base my opinion.
When I say I don't care about pvp, I didn't mean to imply that I haven't done pvp. I have competed many times, until the nasty 'smack talk' and arrogance drove me out.
I have as much knowledge as you about my crew and their capabilities and since I have six pirates at max level ( one of each class plus an extra swashbuckler, I feel more than qualified to comment on companions.)
Of the companions you mention as first tier, two of them are unavailable to swashbucklers ( the class of the original poster ). Nausica comes from the Empire Bundle and while powerful, she has problems in combat also - to wit: she can only use her critical attacks when she's on top of an enemy ( a hazard for a musketeer, since this class is better sniping from a distance ). Unless you have 40.dollars to spare I don't consider her viable to this discussion!
The original question was if Mustang Sally was good and worth leveling, to which my answer will always be "YES!"

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
anecorbie on Nov 7, 2014 wrote:
When I say I don't care about pvp, I didn't mean to imply that I haven't done pvp. I have competed many times, until the nasty 'smack talk' and arrogance drove me out.
I have as much knowledge as you about my crew and their capabilities and since I have six pirates at max level ( one of each class plus an extra swashbuckler, I feel more than qualified to comment on companions.)
Of the companions you mention as first tier, two of them are unavailable to swashbucklers ( the class of the original poster ). Nausica comes from the Empire Bundle and while powerful, she has problems in combat also - to wit: she can only use her critical attacks when she's on top of an enemy ( a hazard for a musketeer, since this class is better sniping from a distance ). Unless you have 40.dollars to spare I don't consider her viable to this discussion!
The original question was if Mustang Sally was good and worth leveling, to which my answer will always be "YES!"
Lol. Then we agree. She is worth leveling. But then again...aren't all companions worth leveling? And regardless of what class companions are available to, they would still be ranked in that order and that still provides two examples of companions that are available to Swashbucklers that are better than Sally and should be leveled ahead of her...not to mention the slew of second and third tier companions that should also be leveled ahead of her. Also, what you view as a weakness for Nausica, I view as a strength. She can still snipe from a distance and the mind blowing damage she does with her critical attacks more than makes up for any lack of them from a distance. My advice would still be to level your other companions first. At the low and mid levels, gold and training tomes aren't as plentiful as they are for higher level pirates. If your goal is to make it through the game at a decent rate of speed, then you want your strongest companions with you. I use Sally when I want to increase the level of difficulty when questing. As stated by some of the others in this thread, Sally is also used just because they like her...not because she is a great companion. Any companion will be 'decent' at higher levels, but some are outstanding. Bottom line...Sally is a decent companion. She is not a game changer. As the original post was made by a Swashbuckler, they would be better served leveling and using companions that compliment that class. I have found that Buccaneer companions and at least one ranged companion are best for us Bucklers. I think Sally would be more fitting for Witchdoctors and Musketeers. I believe that Sally will get a promotion at some point. We can talk again after that happens. Fair sailing, friend.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013

Thanks!
Yeah, she kicks butt, she's a swashy and if you lvl up her relentless, first strike, and vengeance strike, then she does even better.

Petty Officer
May 14, 2011
Sally survives well at the tower and i have found her much longer surviving than toro her dodge is amazing, sadly only to epics though. In pvp even with toros buff i would use her instead nausica is amazing with the unique skills and all but exeter or emmet can destroy a nausica as well as most ranged and i have heard sally will soon get a promo which will help fix the epics problem she also can hold her own quite well in smugglers arena.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Although i have received her for free as a swashbuckler about two weeks ago,she is a great companion.I can't say much, since I have only recently received her as a swashbuckler. A second tire would be great addition, I wonder what hidden talanet she has if she got a promotion ? Now that's some mystery we may find out, in a future update.

Petty Officer
May 14, 2011
In the test realm notes at some point it said her promo but it was never released so we know its planned probably with next large update

Petty Officer
Feb 27, 2009
Don't take it from me, since my Swashbuckler is level 8, but my friend, Duncan, whenever he pulls up Mustang Sally to get KOed in combat. Sometimes, he chants: "die Sally die!" as ghost samoorai tear her to pieces. Duncan is funny, but sometimes a little too funny for his own safety, if you know what I mean.

( no offense if you found this Duncan )

Quentin Davenport, lvl 63