Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Doubloons summoning in bad places

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
When using doubloons that summon units, sometimes these units appear in squares that my character/companions were going to move to. This happens even if there is free space elsewhere on the board. It is random and rare to happen but it still happens and I don't think it should.

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
YES! This is is infuriating! Doubloon summons sometimes appear where my companions are going to move, making them not able to move that turn. This should really be dealt with!

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Any confirmation of this actually being bug and being looked into? Or is it a "feature" the we just have to live with.

It still happens every other battle when a summon is used. I have even seen it happen where a musketeer has put a trap, which was rather annoying.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
While we're on the subject:
1) I suggest you (KI) allow the player to assign the space a summoned unit goes to, just like we can with spell-summoned allies.
2) Other Doubloon (Dub) powers that only affect one unit should be assigned by the player who casts the Dub also.
3) The space where a summoned unit, trap, or summoned object (Barrel, Stalactite, Ice barrier, etc.) is assigned to go should be marked and unavailable for units to move onto them, just like units' movement destinations currently are (thanks for that change!). Availability of a space for designation should be on a first ordered, first assigned basis, as it is for movement. If a player's orders become impossible because computer lag allows another player's later order to supersede his order, 10 seconds should be added to the planning timer for each occurrence; a special, new sound effect should pronounce the occurrence; and the unit whose order was superseded should revert to "no orders status on the affected player's screen.
4) "dub" should be added to the chat glossary as a word, unless KI deems it to be naughty for some reason; because dub has become a common abbreviation for Doubloon with open chat players.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Row4n412 on Oct 22, 2014 wrote:
1) I suggest you (KI) allow the player to assign the space a summoned unit goes to, just like we can with spell-summoned allies.
2) Other Doubloon (Dub) powers that only affect one unit should be assigned by the player who casts the Dub also.
3) The space where a summoned unit, trap, or summoned object (Barrel, Stalactite, Ice barrier, etc.) is assigned to go should be marked and unavailable for units to move onto them, just like units' movement destinations currently are (thanks for that change!). Availability of a space for designation should be on a first ordered, first assigned basis, as it is for movement. If a player's orders become impossible because computer lag allows another player's later order to supersede his order, 10 seconds should be added to the planning timer for each occurrence; a special, new sound effect should pronounce the occurrence; and the unit whose order was superseded should revert to "no orders status on the affected player's screen.
4) "dub" should be added to the chat glossary as a word, unless KI deems it to be naughty for some reason; because dub has become a common abbreviation for Doubloon with open chat players.
Players have been using the word 'coin' as a short version for Doubloons.

Developer
Row4n412 on Oct 22, 2014 wrote:

Nope.

Nope.

If Doubloons worked just like powers.... well, then they'd just be powers, wouldn't they?

Doubloons are meant to be quick and easy to use-- having to plot, plan, open a UI, select a target, etc.-- no thank you.

We're aware of the issue with doubloon summons, and we have some fixes in mind, but we've decided that fix should wait for some other (related) combat improvements in a later milestone.

In the short term, you'll have to deal with the minor inconvenience. Sometimes using a summons doubloon will mean that somebody misses a turn because the summon might get in the way.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Ratbeard on Oct 23, 2014 wrote:

Nope.

Nope.

If Doubloons worked just like powers.... well, then they'd just be powers, wouldn't they?

Doubloons are meant to be quick and easy to use-- having to plot, plan, open a UI, select a target, etc.-- no thank you.

We're aware of the issue with doubloon summons, and we have some fixes in mind, but we've decided that fix should wait for some other (related) combat improvements in a later milestone.

In the short term, you'll have to deal with the minor inconvenience. Sometimes using a summons doubloon will mean that somebody misses a turn because the summon might get in the way.
Good points RB!

It also kind of makes sense that we can't control where the summons show up. They are bound to the Doubloon which is left lying around in a random, fancy chest somewhere, that any and all pirates out there have access to. The powers or spells that we use to summon minions come from us players being trained in these arcane arts, or at least from us harnessing the arcane magic by equipping the gear that holds the summon(s).

So it would make sense that we would have better control over the 'gear and trained' summons and thus would be able to 'place' them were we want to. A doubloon summons would seem to be more 'wild, untamed and harder to control', seeing as we just pick them up from random chests and they are bound to the powers of the Doubloon...and not necessarily to our pirates. I mean, have you ever tried to get a stray dog to fetch your slippers or the paper, on the very day you found it? Now a trained dog that is bound to the owner, that's a different story.
At least that's how I kind of see it or at least make sense of it.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Thank you Ratbeard, that is all I wanted to hear. And I look forward to these combat improvements that you are hinting at. Keep up the good work.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Hey if a two-headed dog or a minotaur shows up I'm good.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey