Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Charming Gaze 1 Bugged

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
May 29, 2009
I have an Emerald Budgie who got Charming Gaze 1 in it's Talent slot 2. This talents works like the Witchdoctor's Charm to "beguile" enemies into allies. It's only supposed to last one turn.

However, I've found that it's lasted up to 5 turns and only my pirate, crew, and the "Charmed" enemy now ally are all that's left on the board during some battles. You can't hit it with a single attack while it's in this state. The only way I've been able to finish the battle is by using a multi enemy attack or waiting until it wears off.

~SM~

Developer
I need a bit more information to track this down for you.

1) Why are you under the impression that it should only last for 1 turn? The ability has never had a duration of 1.

2) What do you consider a turn? For example, switching back and forth between teams A and D, like this:

A
D
----
A
D

would be 2 turns, not 4 turns.

In addition to the random chance to apply the effect, all Charms have a requirement that the target cannot be the last person left on their team (to avoid the wait till it goes away scenario you describe).

If there is only 1 enemy on the opposing side, they will be immune to (new) Charm effects.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
SorceressMiklai on Jun 25, 2014 wrote:
I have an Emerald Budgie who got Charming Gaze 1 in it's Talent slot 2. This talents works like the Witchdoctor's Charm to "beguile" enemies into allies. It's only supposed to last one turn.

However, I've found that it's lasted up to 5 turns and only my pirate, crew, and the "Charmed" enemy now ally are all that's left on the board during some battles. You can't hit it with a single attack while it's in this state. The only way I've been able to finish the battle is by using a multi enemy attack or waiting until it wears off.

~SM~
I've noticed this in a PvP bout with a Blue Ringed Walktopus, that Charmed gaze lasted three rounds!

Lieutenant
May 29, 2009
Ratbeard on Jun 25, 2014 wrote:
I need a bit more information to track this down for you.

1) Why are you under the impression that it should only last for 1 turn? The ability has never had a duration of 1.

2) What do you consider a turn? For example, switching back and forth between teams A and D, like this:

A
D
----
A
D

would be 2 turns, not 4 turns.

In addition to the random chance to apply the effect, all Charms have a requirement that the target cannot be the last person left on their team (to avoid the wait till it goes away scenario you describe).

If there is only 1 enemy on the opposing side, they will be immune to (new) Charm effects.
Hi Ratbeard! Thanks for replying back.

1) I am under the impression that it should only last for 1 turn because the notification when you hover over the charmed enemy says 1 (Hourglass) which usually means one turn. Here is a picture for proof.

2) This is how I consider a round:

A-My pirate & crew
B-The enemies
C-My pets
D-Any allies or NPCs

The round begins after I have made my selection then it goes in order (minus any triggered abilities) and when it is my turn to select again then begins another round.

As you can see by the picture link above the Rollie Pollie who was charmed was not the last person on their team.

If I am missing something please be sure to let me know.

~SM~

Ensign
Dec 08, 2009
I have also had problems with Charming Gaze. So far only in skyway battles with creatures you run into and fight on your ship. If they spawn on the battlegrid directly next to your pet with CG, they can start charmed. If they do, then they won't un-charm when the duration wears off. Their portrait background stays yellow instead of turning to red, and they sit there taking no actions. They are untargetable but can still be damaged by things like Gunnery that don't require a specific target. If you don't have enough of those, then the battle is unwinnable. Very frustrating to have happen, hope you can get it fixed.