Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companion fix suggestions!

AuthorMessage
Bosun
May 10, 2010
I love the fix to the Cat Ninja, finally you have made her Epic again!

A couple of suggestions to fix a few companions.

Sarah Steel: Change her Repel Boarders to First strike because repel boarders totally kills a good hide setup.

El Toro: Give him his long overdue critical hit card, especially now that you are going to nerf his buff!

Wing Chung: Change Riposte to Repel Boarders, since he cant possibly get any dodge!

Old Scratch: Please give him the mojo storm card or update his drain spell, he main attack is great, but his spells are falling behind other witchdoctor companions... Moro is looking so much better.. love Moro!

That is about all the changes that need to be made, off the top of my head. If anyone else has any suggestions on fixing some of the missing links in companions, please state them here.

Thanks,

DarthJT

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Darth JT on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:
I love the fix to the Cat Ninja, finally you have made her Epic again!

A couple of suggestions to fix a few companions.

Sarah Steel: Change her Repel Boarders to First strike because repel boarders totally kills a good hide setup.

El Toro: Give him his long overdue critical hit card, especially now that you are going to nerf his buff!

Wing Chung: Change Riposte to Repel Boarders, since he cant possibly get any dodge!

Old Scratch: Please give him the mojo storm card or update his drain spell, he main attack is great, but his spells are falling behind other witchdoctor companions... Moro is looking so much better.. love Moro!

That is about all the changes that need to be made, off the top of my head. If anyone else has any suggestions on fixing some of the missing links in companions, please state them here.

Thanks,

DarthJT
I would love for Scratch to have Jobu's Ruse so he is comparable to the other witchdoctor companions with it. You can't train any accuracy for Scratchy nor does he get a second chance. He can be so powerful when he gets on a roll but his accuracy weakness sure could use a boost.

Ensign
Aug 14, 2008
Wing Chun could get some use out of Riposte if he had Elusive; in fact, I'd love to see more companions with Elusive.

Developer
I'm definitely open to suggestions.

I can't make any promises on timelines, but we've set a goal to improve a handful of companions each time we can squeeze it in.

And don't feel that you have to restrict yourselves to the main storyline companions, either.

It seems that Froggo Villa is popular-- who are some other 2nd tier characters you'd like to see improved next?

Personally, I'm thinking Nurse Quinn.

Ensign
Aug 14, 2008
Ratbeard on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:

I can't make any promises on timelines, but we've set a goal to improve a handful of companions each time we can squeeze it in.

And don't feel that you have to restrict yourselves to the main storyline companions, either.

It seems that Froggo Villa is popular-- who are some other 2nd tier characters you'd like to see improved next?

That's awesome, Ratbeard!

I like Froggo Villa too; when he first joined my crew, I was literally in awe whenever he does his critical animation! Mustang Sally is another companion I really like; it's very, very satisfying to see her critical animation--even the sound effects seal the deal for me! I'm actually surprised that Mustang Sally isn't anywhere close to a 1st-tier companion given her role in the storyline and her relation to El Toro.

I agree that Nurse Quinn needs desperate attention too; even changing her class to Privateer would be a major improvement in my eyes.

I'd also like to see Taro Moomori earn a promotion to Samoorai Warlord if it's possible.

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2014

That Eagle Archer isn't very good at all, that's for sure. But at least I have reason to gain the most useless partners: Orders, so I can gain stuff.

Batacuda REALLY needs to be improved, period. In fact, a lot of partners only Witchdoctors get are bad, and need to be improved. Witches could use some better partners in Book 15 for sure.

Lieutenant
Sep 04, 2013

Well since you asked...
I bought all them monquistador companions on the test server (the living ones) and they're pretty useless compared to the majority of companions. You get to pick only one epic, nothing great for the epic talent choices either. Speaking of those, the Crazy Monquistador is just the worst, no choices of epic talents , and of all the things, Return Fire.

And the Troggy High Chief has 2 promotions and his poison power never upgrades to the tier 2, which is disappointing.

And speaking of the Cat Ninja buff, I noticed the Yakooza was buffed too, were any others affected?

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011

I have thoughts about the special Cat Pirate companion from the Boochbeard Bundle, and others, too.

1. Give him some Swashbuckler Powers as that companion promotes and a long overdue Critical hit card, because as of right now, he has none. I would really like to see that happen so that the Cat Pirate Companion may be more useful.

2. El Toro should have a main story exclusive Power and another of the common Powers.

3. Nurse Quinn, she is definitely the one to be promoted. She doesn't seem to have a promotion to Tier 2... yet.

4. Monkey King should have a new main story exclusive Power or two, and a few Swashbuckler related Powers.

5. Catbeard should receive some Powers of his own, both main story excusive similar to Ratbeard's and Bonnie Anne's own Powers, and common to others, other than his critical hit. He may need them.

Other than that, I like how main storyline companions get exclusive powers of their own, in addition to the others that have Powers that are trained for other pirate classes. I would like to see much more like that happen!

I may have this to say, even though it's quite off-topic, but I've this to say, anyway, and hope you can answer...

About how Gracie Conrad got her ability to summon the War Golems from the main quest, "Anarchy in the MB!", although very neat, I'm certain that's not her "promotion", because she doesn't get an appearance change and a new title to go with it, unlike the other companion promotion quests. I think it's more likely a Companion Power reward than a promotion reward, because of how that quest's reward mistakenly functions like a companion promo quest. I think the quest reward engine functions for Companion Powers should be modified so that it looks more like gaining Companion Powers through some quests instead of mistakenly being part of the "promotion", other than promotion quests, of course, example being "Gracie Conrad learned a new Power! "War Golem"!". Picture this change in your head, Ratbeard. I'm just thinking of ideas.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

I would like to see Thunder Hoof spruced up a bit, Ratbeard. That big guy saved my hide so many times in Cool Ranch and there is just something about him that I can't get enough of. He was a trusty first mate for a while but soon become 'obsolete' as I got into MooShu...plus a certain 'Bellowing, Blowharrrd of a Bovine'
--"Ar-r-r-r-r-r-riba!"-- played a hand in Hoof being ousted.

I think maybe giving him a Flanking along with an extra Relentless or 2 (maybe instead of cheap shot) would help him regain some respectability. Although I guess maybe Flanking is considered more of a sneaky, Swashbuckler Epic Talent (and some Privateers/Buccaneers), but then again so is Riposte and the Buccaneer Dead Mike/S.M. Arson have it available to them, so I guess it is possible- especially with other Buccs like Hawkules able to get Flanking. And possibly upgrading his Critical Strike from a Super to either Mega or Epic would help him out a lot as well.

Another companion I wouldn't mind seeing upgraded is, Iago. In my opinion, he was one of the coolest and most pirate-y looking companions there is (Lucky Jack is right up there as well), but he underachieves a bit in terms of Epic Talents available. I personally think he could benefit from an additional Riposte or two and/or maybe one Relentless. Same as Thunder Hoofs Critical, it would be nice if Iago's was upgraded as well.

And Nurse Quinn, OH YEAH- she sure could use some tender lovin' care. Personally both her and Nadya could use quite a bit of an overhaul, tweaking or retooling. I would be willing to bet that the majority of pirates who have them, have placed them far down in the roster, if not sentenced them to a loooooong nap.

By the way, Ratbeard- Thank you for considering our requests in regards to this. Very nice of you to ask for suggestions from us on companion improvements and upgrades...and we appreciate it tremendously.

Petty Officer
Aug 13, 2012
our presidio companions can get a new power or two just like the tavern companions.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Nurse Quinn would be an awesome companion to keep updated, as she is one of my second string favorites, but then, I have many second string favorites:

Ah Bo is probably my biggest 2nd tier favorite, if setup correctly, this necromancer is deadly! Just needs a couple great witchdoctor spells and maybe an Epic hit card!

Froggo Villa is another fan favorite, definitely needs a good upgrade! He just needs a hide, backstab, and shadowdance! of course, as icing on the cake another epic talent!

Mustang Sally is an all time favorite, needs to be on same level as El Toro I think!

Rooster Cogburn is another great companion, I loved him when I first met him, before he was totally nerfed!

Jim Miller would be so cool, if he got a dynamite attack card like his NPC counterpart has and more epic talents!

Li Bo is nice too

Tonka and Black Angus are also excellent 2nd Tier companions that would be awesome to see upgraded

Just a few of my most favorite 2nd tier companions that I would love to see, Super!

Thanks for listening Ratbeard...

Ensign
Jun 17, 2009
Ratbeard,

I've already made a thread explaining my thoughts on buffing the Aztec companions. Not exactly sure if they're considered 2nd tier, but I believe they should receive a buff/s of some sort. They're really difficult to obtain, so why not make them stand out a little more?

Ensign
Jun 06, 2010
Well I was gonna say Cat Ninja, but I looked on Test Realm and it seems you already did that with this update!

On the subject of Witchdoctors, I think Mojo Rising should be one of the options for them. Companions like Old Scratch and Mormo (to name the 2 common ones) could benefit with this talent.

I also think that the various Water Mole companions (slingman, spearman, etc.) could do with another promotion and possibly an Epic talent list revamp? I always have them benched because all the other companions I have are so much better with a better selection of talents.

Ratbeard, here's the biggy: you! I LOVE using your namesake, but I most often don't because he doesn't have Relentless and so doesn't hit for as much damage as others in my crew. If he had Relentless he would be one of my most favorite companions! Especially with the new promotion where he hits and knocks back everyone around him! Repel Boarders, Blade Storm, First Strike and Relentless would be the best Ratbeard ever!

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
I think that Old Scratch should have both Skeletal Pirate and Skeletal Corsair summon, because the Skeletal Corsair is pretty weak at times, but still helpful, and giving him both summons could get him less haters :p

I agree with you Blind Mew, Nurse Quinn should get some buffs for her heals if not make her more useful to attacking other enemies, and another is Crazy Monquistador, I don't have a problem with him, but I hear allot of people complain about him, maybe increase his accuracy a little bit? He misses more often than not.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Nurse Quinn, Madame Nadya, Jane Canary -- female companions are few and far between. They should all be AWESOME as a result. I've always thought that Nurse Quinn needs a promotion to Dr. Quinn, then she can get a stethoscope weapon that acts like Toro's whip.

Developer
Ijjob on May 1, 2014 wrote:
Ratbeard,

I've already made a thread explaining my thoughts on buffing the Aztec companions. Not exactly sure if they're considered 2nd tier, but I believe they should receive a buff/s of some sort. They're really difficult to obtain, so why not make them stand out a little more?
They're really difficult to obtain, so why not make them stand out a little more?

We try to strike a fair balance with the crowns companions between utility and just plain "cool factor."

Developer
Ratbeard, here's the biggy: you! I LOVE using your namesake, but I most often don't because he doesn't have Relentless and so doesn't hit for as much damage as others in my crew. If he had Relentless he would be one of my most favorite companions! Especially with the new promotion where he hits and knocks back everyone around him! Repel Boarders, Blade Storm, First Strike and Relentless would be the best Ratbeard ever!

Ratbeard is a very unique companion, with abilities that straddle the line between Buccaneer and Swashbuckler. He's not really designed to be your big hitter-- but he's a solid support companion.

Developer
I have thoughts about the special Cat Pirate companion from the Boochbeard Bundle, and others, too.

The Cat Pirate is the only companion that has access to ALL of the melee Epic Talents. That's his unique advantage.

No matter what kind of tactics you're trying to build around, the Cat Pirate has a solid stat line and can be customized with any Epics you may need.

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2014
Sano Musa on May 1, 2014 wrote:
Well I was gonna say Cat Ninja, but I looked on Test Realm and it seems you already did that with this update!

On the subject of Witchdoctors, I think Mojo Rising should be one of the options for them. Companions like Old Scratch and Mormo (to name the 2 common ones) could benefit with this talent.

I also think that the various Water Mole companions (slingman, spearman, etc.) could do with another promotion and possibly an Epic talent list revamp? I always have them benched because all the other companions I have are so much better with a better selection of talents.

Well, I doubt Ratbeard would change his talents. I mean, everyone doesn't HAVE to have Relentless or Riposte, you know. It's not everything in Pirate101. All of the Buccaneer-Class Presidio Partners all do not have Relentless and do you see anyone complaining about that? No.

There's more to power than Relentless. Sure, it is very disappointing, but not every partner can have Relentless/Burst Fire/Mojo Echo.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Willowydream on May 1, 2014 wrote:
Nurse Quinn, Madame Nadya, Jane Canary -- female companions are few and far between. They should all be AWESOME as a result. I've always thought that Nurse Quinn needs a promotion to Dr. Quinn, then she can get a stethoscope weapon that acts like Toro's whip.

I forgot about Nadya, she has been useful to me more than I thought she would be, I thought she she would be a Witchdoctor at first :P

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Ratbeard on May 1, 2014 wrote:

The Cat Pirate is the only companion that has access to ALL of the melee Epic Talents. That's his unique advantage.

No matter what kind of tactics you're trying to build around, the Cat Pirate has a solid stat line and can be customized with any Epics you may need.
I understand. I was thinking that the Cat Pirate Companion may need a few Powers added.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2009
Hmm, i had a couple of companions that I think should be updated!

1.Crab Hermit
2.Cutthroat Pirate
3. Monquistador Veteran
4.Black Storm Raider
5. Yakooza
6.Froggo Villa

Thanks!
The Loyal Swashbuckler
Noble Ryan Thompson

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
Hmm. Companions whom need fixing....

Catbeard, for being a story line companion, could use a Privateer power to be more useful, although I'm not saying he isn't useful now, cause his 5 epics are pretty awesome.

The Presidio 5 could definitely use some more powers. I wish my own Lucky Jack would have a Privateer buff or maybe even a Strength buff, ( although I am not sure which stat helps him with Relentless rate, Strength or Will? ).

Definitely love the improvement on the Tavern companions, definitely a great idea to have done that, they were getting dull for the most part before that update.

With El Toro's buff being a bit nerfed, I'd say he could use another power, to even out his loss a bit. I'd say something on the lines of his previous buff or maybe Shadowdance? ( He seem's to be a great dancer, with his movement skills and whatnot )

The Eagle Mercenary and Argos could also use another power? :D They may not have much attacks, but they're both pretty cool, especially Argos.

Definitely Old Scratch, his powers could use an upgrade. He is strong in terms of epics and talents, but with talents like Spooky, I feel he should either get his powers upgraded, or gain a new power to keep him a bit more loved by the lower level pirates. I've seen many people post about how "weak" Old Scratch is at lower levels. It's a pity some don't level him up to see his potential.

Ridolfo and Iago could definitely also use some extra powers. They could both have Swashbuckler strikes, similar to Kobe or Sarah. Iago should also gain an epic, he's one of the coolest pirate looking companions I've seen!

I think that's all I can think of for now. I hope most of these guys get the upgrades they need to become more useful in combat, hopefully by the next update.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
I would like to make a suggestion, especially now that buffs are being nerfed, I think that all companions should keep the previous buff and still learn the new buff, so they have both and can use both.

This would not only go for buffing, but healing also. Keep the lower version and when promoted, gain the new heal also. This would keep incentive, make up a bit of the nerf that is being give to the buff, so that it would all be evened out and a bit more fair to all.

Just a suggestion

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
Ratbeard on May 1, 2014 wrote:

Ratbeard is a very unique companion, with abilities that straddle the line between Buccaneer and Swashbuckler. He's not really designed to be your big hitter-- but he's a solid support companion.
Ratbeard's role in combat is to help protect more fragile units and he does that job pretty dang well. He has an awesome Epic-pool and has a rather nice amount of bulk to help him support the team. Despite this, I feel Ratbeard is still lacking in some elements. He himself doesn't really carry the natural bulk needed to best support his teammates.

Can you please apply Heavy-armor to Ratbeard since his armor is rather low and since he doesn't really carry any offensive means, providing him with natural Armor piercing like Hawkules and a few other companions have would be a big help. I'd also ask for trading Triton's Song to Kraken's Lament, but since the duration has increased to 10 rounds, I think that'll suffice. Once again, Ratbeard himself is a pretty amazing companion, but he does lack the natural elements he is supposed to have based on his role in combat.