Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Several Combat Questions

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Lucas Walker on Mar 22, 2014 wrote:
How does the game choose which target will be hit with Mojo Echo when activated by an AoE? How does the game choose which units are hit by things like Double-Tap and Bladestorm? Is it totally random or based on how much Agility, Will, or Strength the probable targets are?
Double tap and Bladestorm are whoever your character is close to and if there is a choice, it's random. The Mojo Echo hits whoever was your center target in the AoE grid.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
1of1 Buccaneer on Mar 22, 2014 wrote:
I also have a question, it's somewhat about combat. Why don't Buccaneers get the epic Relentless in class.

~Dead-eye Octavio Devereaux, level 65 Witchdoctor~

~Fearful Zane Parker, level 58 Buccaneer~
Relentless doesn't belong to the class and not all Epics are available to players yet.

Musketeers don't naturally learn Burst Fire, Witchdoctors don't naturally learn Readied Spell, etc.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
I also have a question, it's somewhat about combat. Why don't Buccaneers get the epic Relentless in class.

eh you kinda do at the end, its called reckless frenzy, of course its a power close enough to relentless at the cost of some health per strike.

although if bucks were to have relentless, then they could easily be one of the most dominant pirates in the skyway, vengeance strikex2, bladestormx2 and now relentlessx2? sorry to say, that's just too overpowered, the game has to have SOME balance lol

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Logan Sharp on Mar 23, 2014 wrote:
eh you kinda do at the end, its called reckless frenzy, of course its a power close enough to relentless at the cost of some health per strike.

although if bucks were to have relentless, then they could easily be one of the most dominant pirates in the skyway, vengeance strikex2, bladestormx2 and now relentlessx2? sorry to say, that's just too overpowered, the game has to have SOME balance lol
That would be hard to deal with but I wouldn't mind one bit since my only maxed pirate is a buccaneer. Also, Buccaneers at max level actually have Vengeance Strike x3 (Rank 3) and Blade Storm x3 (Rank3). So that would make them even more potent, with possibly getting Relentless x3 thrown into the mix.

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
Logan Sharp on Mar 23, 2014 wrote:

I definitely know that I get reckless frenzy. I also know all of your information that you've provided. It just really seems like they would learn relentless. But I've never thought of it that way (I mean it being to powerful).

~Fearful Zane Parker, level 61 Buccaneer~

(What class does relentless belong to?)

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009

If bucks DID get relentless. They would be one of the most feared pirates on the game.
Think about it: Vengeance strike2. Turn the tide. Bladestorm2. And now relentless2?
If you ask me. That would be one of the scariest pirates in the world. KI has to make it so ALL classes are somewhat balanced. Lol. Otherwise almost everyone would be bucks. But thats my input

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Ratbeard on Mar 21, 2014 wrote:
Can we expect critical strikes for ranged units?

If I recall correctly there were a lot of tough camera issues to solve with ranged units (e.g. "bullet time") which is why there's no special crit animations for ranged. It's something our tech team could probably, eventually solve, but it doesn't seem like a great investment of resources.

Will we see higher ranked Epics?

Yes.

Can we see something that will allow Musketeers to make better use of their high accuracy?

Accuracy is doing more than you think. There is no such thing as a "dump stat" in P101. There will always be, unfortunately, some combat calculations that are too complex to put in front of the players, as they would just end up frustrating casual players.

What is Blood flames supposed to do?

Circle back and ask me after it's finally fixed.

Will power series ever go past 3?

Probably not.

Is the Armor Penetration in P01 the same as W101?

No.

Can we expect to see AP on magical ranged weapons?

Maybe.

Will we receive a stronger version of the Ol' Quigley?

You'll receive stronger versions of long range muskets.

Since Hold the Line is exclusively for melee units and Witch Hunter is exclusively for Witchdoctors or magical companions, is there an Epic solely for Musketeers?

Witch Hunter isn't exclusive to WD or magical companions. By happenstance more than design, that's where it tends to end up. But there are a couple of other companions that have it.

That may answer your second question-- "Each class should have an exclusive talent!" is not a design goal, so there's no particular reason to think that Musketeers should or would get one.

A better example is Turn the Tide. That is exclusive to Buccaneers, by design. That does not necessarily mean that any other class will get an exclusive talent.

Will Witchdoctor units have their own version of Crossfire/Flanking?

It's called "Doomspell"-- you just haven't seen it before. I'll make sure to expose it on a WD companion or two.
Sorry for this extremely late reply, i just found this interesting thread and i wanted to say, i've noticed with accuracy reductions, when i do rarely hit, it deals less damage then if i'd hit with a non accuracy reducted attack. Plus, mojo echo seems to be less likely to trigger when i have accuracy reductions. I always assumed it was "well i was going to miss anyways" but this post made me think deeper into all of this.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
What role does accuracy play on the damage of shooty weapons and shooty powers? I feel like it does do something involving them (you said Accuracy is doing a lot more than we think),

Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
If having a higher or lower strength/will/agility stat than your opponent affects the amount of damage you do to them when using that stat in an attack, then (not counting the +1 damage for every 5 points) how much extra damage do we do per amount of stat difference between combatants? This would help us make decisions on equipment offering flat damage bonuses vs. stat raising bonuses.

Developer
What role does accuracy play on the damage of shooty weapons and shooty powers? I feel like it does do something involving them (you said Accuracy is doing a lot more than we think).

Accuracy is a key stat for Musketeers, even if you are using powers that never miss. I recommend you do some testing to confirm that.

If having a higher or lower strength/will/agility stat than your opponent affects the amount of damage you do to them when using that stat in an attack, then (not counting the +1 damage for every 5 points) how much extra damage do we do per amount of stat difference between combatants? This would help us make decisions on equipment offering flat damage bonuses vs. stat raising bonuses.

Your question refers to pre-Test Realm way that stats used to work, so I'll give you the pre-Test Realm answer.

Previously, you would receive up to a +25% bonus to damage on each and every attack if your stat exceeded your target's stat. It's not a linear difference (X - Y) but a comparative check (X:Y). I will leave it to you to figure out the details, if you care-- suffice to say, more is better.

(It will also be considerably easier to figure out, for those of you who are so inclined, because the combat feedback has been enhanced.)

Post-Test Realm, you will now get +1% damage bonus per 5 points of stat (regardless of who you are attacking.) In addition, the comparative bonus to damage is removed, and you will now instead receive a bonus to your critical hit chance.

If I may offer my own opinion on your gear dilemma, I think damage bonuses are slightly better at low levels. But I'd start looking to sunset them in favor of stats bonuses well before you hit 50th level, and even earlier if you use the stat buff powers.

And finally, for those of you who are primarily concerned about PvP, I'd just like to take this opportunity to say that I have still not begun balancing for PvP.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
Thank you, Ratbeard. We highly appreciate your information, opinions and observations.

One last question regarding stats? I notice on the character sheet that strength/agility/will has (your stat)/100. I've seen people go over 100, so is there or will there be a benefit cap on those stats in any way?