Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Inquiries for Blind Mew

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
May 21, 2009
Dear Blind Mew,

If you could answer a few of my questions I would be ever so grateful. Firstly, are we ever going to Grizzleheim, since I recall that one of the crew members on the photograph of Marco Pollo's crew was 'Erika the Red', a bear and a very clever play I assume on the viking 'Erik the Red', father of Leif Eriksson.

Secondly, I absolutely adore your insights on the storyline and that you are head writer - I'd like to hear more if you don't mind!

Thirdly and finally, any hints on the next worlds we are visiting? I know this coincides a bit with question one, but I am a curious sort and I absolutely love the unique worlds in the game. Thank you ever so much!

Ensign
Oct 23, 2012
Developer
CaptainFlint193 on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
Dear Blind Mew,

If you could answer a few of my questions I would be ever so grateful. Firstly, are we ever going to Grizzleheim, since I recall that one of the crew members on the photograph of Marco Pollo's crew was 'Erika the Red', a bear and a very clever play I assume on the viking 'Erik the Red', father of Leif Eriksson.

Secondly, I absolutely adore your insights on the storyline and that you are head writer - I'd like to hear more if you don't mind!

Thirdly and finally, any hints on the next worlds we are visiting? I know this coincides a bit with question one, but I am a curious sort and I absolutely love the unique worlds in the game. Thank you ever so much!
It's a good bet that all the people in that photograph will be showing up at one point or other (at least, those that are still alive). And yes, Erika the Red draws her name from Erik, and she is indeed from Grizzleheim. Just because she hails from Grizzleheim doesn't necessarily mean the PC will go there - if you know anything about Vikings, you know that they were the ultimate explorers, and ended up in all sorts of unexpected places.

I'm not going to overtly hint about upcoming content, but one thing I can say, though, is that Book 13 is going to be a bit darker that what we've done before, and it's definitely a war story.

As for more story insights, it's tough to simply extemporize - I do better with specific questions. Making the Pirate101 story has definitely been a learning experience, and very rewarding. I hope to someday assemble a post mortem/dissertation on what we did and how we did it, but i may need to wait till our first main story is finished - we have a long way to go!

I must admit though, I am continually tempted to post on the Easter Egg threads. It's awesome to see so many obscure references appreciated, but there are even more out there...

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
GrunkleStan12 on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
Happy Leaf Eriksson day! Yahingadingur
Sorry to burst your holiday bubble, but that day's gone by once again. Don't worry. When that day comes again, you'll know when to say that on the correct day. By the way, you're very off topic for this.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Blind Mew on Jan 2, 2013 wrote:
It's a good bet that all the people in that photograph will be showing up at one point or other (at least, those that are still alive). And yes, Erika the Red draws her name from Erik, and she is indeed from Grizzleheim. Just because she hails from Grizzleheim doesn't necessarily mean the PC will go there - if you know anything about Vikings, you know that they were the ultimate explorers, and ended up in all sorts of unexpected places.

I'm not going to overtly hint about upcoming content, but one thing I can say, though, is that Book 13 is going to be a bit darker that what we've done before, and it's definitely a war story.

As for more story insights, it's tough to simply extemporize - I do better with specific questions. Making the Pirate101 story has definitely been a learning experience, and very rewarding. I hope to someday assemble a post mortem/dissertation on what we did and how we did it, but i may need to wait till our first main story is finished - we have a long way to go!

I must admit though, I am continually tempted to post on the Easter Egg threads. It's awesome to see so many obscure references appreciated, but there are even more out there...
Wow!

What a nice way to tease about Pirate101's main story arc continuation, Blind Mew, about Book XIII, that is. Normally, a poster or a very small video trailer would accompany said upcoming storyline Books, but I guess that may do. Come to think of it, that may be the only teaser you've left for us, for the moment.

You're right about this, though. The Armada Arc still needs a long way to go before it's end, and I'm hoping for it to end in a very epic climactic battle against Supreme Commander Kane himself, and I really, really wish for it to be very climactic and epic! I do have to say, once he's ready to try to take Pirates down in his yet-to-be final battle, you can bet that he won't ever go easy on us. Knowing of end-of-arc battles, he will do everything in his power, unleash everything he's got, go too far by the Armada's own commands, he's even bound to use dirty tricks of combat cheating, just to attain the final victory for the Armada and El Dorado. One day, and I mean, one day, Kane will finally go down in pieces once and for all!

Until then, we'll keep on fighting for the Resistance... and, hopefully, some peace to the Spiral, too.

Community Leader

Tantalizing! I look forward to seeing how the story continues and will be dissecting this comment in the months to come, I'm sure.

I do have a direct question that you may be able to answer in a spoiler free way: does our choice of parent death during character creation have any further ramifications in the chapter's to come?

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2012

Great insights as always!

I can't wait to see what Book 13 has in store for us. Sounds like it will be full of excitment.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009

I want book 13 to come already now. Also, can anybody tell me how many books there are currently? I never counted

Community Leader
Dead Eye Luke on Jan 2, 2013 wrote:
I want book 13 to come already now. Also, can anybody tell me how many books there are currently? I never counted
The current game ends with the completion of book 12.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2009
Merciless Morgrim on Jan 2, 2013 wrote:
Great insights as always!

I can't wait to see what Book 13 has in store for us. Sounds like it will be full of excitment.
Or possibly full of regret.......we pirates made some choices that will likely lead to more suffering and pain...indeed dark times ahead. After all, we did start a war and the consequences will probably catch up with us, especially knowing where the next map piece is headed......

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
As blind mew stated, book 13 is going to be a war story. Didn't we start a war between marleybone and the armada in port regal? (My way of saying I definitely think marleybone is the next world)

Dead-eye Luke, Level 50 Cunning Luke Sharp, Level 50 Ruthless Luke, Level 10

Developer
Talkin The Plank on Jan 2, 2013 wrote:
Tantalizing! I look forward to seeing how the story continues and will be dissecting this comment in the months to come, I'm sure.

I do have a direct question that you may be able to answer in a spoiler free way: does our choice of parent death during character creation have any further ramifications in the chapter's to come?
The parental death choice determines which Companion you find in the Presidio - Gaspard DeVole, Dead Mike, Lucky Jack Russell, Birgus Latro, or Milo Graytail.

The choice has a pretty indirect impact on play (I'm not enough of a systems guy to tell you how the specific Companions impact combat vs. each other) - mostly, at points in the quests when your Companions speak, that determines which one pipes up - they each have their own unique viewpoints on events.

Of course, the other impact the Companion choice has is which Promotion quests you get to do. I have to say, Dead Mike's quests are so bizarre, that as I was writing them I was thinking "this is some crazy stuff - where the heck did this come from?"

Community Leader
Blind Mew on Jan 4, 2013 wrote:
The parental death choice determines which Companion you find in the Presidio - Gaspard DeVole, Dead Mike, Lucky Jack Russell, Birgus Latro, or Milo Graytail.

The choice has a pretty indirect impact on play (I'm not enough of a systems guy to tell you how the specific Companions impact combat vs. each other) - mostly, at points in the quests when your Companions speak, that determines which one pipes up - they each have their own unique viewpoints on events.

Of course, the other impact the Companion choice has is which Promotion quests you get to do. I have to say, Dead Mike's quests are so bizarre, that as I was writing them I was thinking "this is some crazy stuff - where the heck did this come from?"
That makes sense. I do really like the idea of customizing our Pirate's backstory and the parent's death question was a good one that, when you look at it from the Presidio companion perspective, has lasting ramifications throughout your entire play experience. I hope that in future expansions, we can make more of these types of choices (that aren't necessarily class specific) where we flesh out or PC's history and that effect what happens to us in the present. This may be selfish of me, as I like to see different aspects of the game with subsequent playthroughs as opposed to being able to see everything with one character, but it seems that the game was set up that way, where you get to experience more if you have more than one Pirate in your stable.

Look forward to doing the Dead Mike promotion quests! He's on my Swashbuckler who is next in line to trek to 50.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
How's this? Since Book 13 is on it's way, how about adding in a silhouette of the next book's icon with a big question mark on it's center, along with "Coming Soon..." label on top on it in the Chapter Pricing section? The Book number can still be shown, though. Similar to what Wizard101 did when the world of Celestia was coming soon over two years ago, you should do the same to upcoming Books, starting with Book 13. Once it's on the Test Realm, the next Book's icon shall be revealed, but the top label shall be changed to "On Test" until it goes live, and once it's live, the label changes to "New!", and the cycle repeats. It's an idea for knowing Pirates what's coming to the game. Can't wait to see what Book 13 is about, and maybe... oh, but it's much early to say about what comes after Book 13! That counts as a teaser to the continuing story, right, Blind Mew? May you please do that?

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2011

A dark war story? Ugh sounds like either my homeworld(marleybone) or Polaris(hello? hint the polaris war)
Black rose Level50 Musketeer

Ensign
Apr 10, 2009

When you say war are you referring to the war between Marleybone and Valencia or will we be caught up in another civil war where we side with the resistance? Anyway, I wanted you to know I'm very passionate about the game and have an interesting idea: We find the Armada is know pratically invincible now as they've learned the process of creating a clockwork from the original inventor and are rebuilding their ranks but only this time, they're even stronger and new types of clockworks are introduced: these include new types of Armada officers which include swashbucklers and privateers and are also known as Armada Fencers and Privateers(Obviously).
In addition, an old enemy is back from the gold mine(hint hint). I hope you like my idea and can share it with all the great people over at Kingsisle.

P.S. Three things I wanted to ask you guys to fix:

1. On Gaspard's first promotion quest, the Aztecosaurs that assist the blood lord are all level 27 which makes the battle too difficult for my companions, can you lower their level?

2. The Marleybonian officers are constantly referred to as privateers but their not really privateers. Can you change their class and, if you can, add an animation for their swords.

3. Nothing is really glitching, but ships, enemies, companions, and players all keep phasing through each other like ghosts which was sorta bothering me.

Thanks!

Ensign
Feb 01, 2013
I think we go to marleybone for decoding the map and a start to the war. Then we go back to Valencia in the other skyways then sent to monquista for the windstone to Aquila then we save Aquila from Polaris. Then we destroy Napoleguins palace since he becomes a enemy. Then we to to Krokotopia and kill napoleguin there. In amongst all that we get map pieces and then we travel to El Dorado through Krokotopia. Hope ye like me ideas

Impish William Nichols lvl 50