Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Needed PvP changes ASAP

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
I was wondering when we are going to get PvP changes that will balance some things?

I am sure that you guys are aware by now, that WD's are not having great time in the arena, as a matter of fact they are not having any kind of time there. Why should they? Current meta is making them weak beyond any words. I am enjoying this feature since August and I have played over 500 matches so far. I am really surprised how nothing has been done to help this class (I don't count Old scratch and Cotta boost changes, because it made things for the worse, not better).

I am really tired getting stuck at hero facing the same people that are able to beat me in a single turn, first turn.

I can use Ratbeard with HtL, or try to summon Cottas, or to place barricades, or use summon of any kind to back them away, but it doesn't help. I am placing my fate on to pet with scent 2, which is my only counter against hidden enemy. Pet is easy to kill, there is no guarantees that he will appear, he often wonders somewhere else, when enemy charges it doesn't get revealed even if he got past my pet. To many randoms for a only counter to black fog, walk in darkness and walk in shadow.

Lets talk about lvl 5 class companions.

Everyone uses Pete, Chantal, Fan and Marchioness. They all have their class attribute boost, guaranteed critical, great chain of epics. Fan and Pete are able to finish two companions or a player and companion in one singe chain of hits. Pete is stronger then WD player itself. Chantal is deadly with overwatch, which activates chain of epic hits and criticals.

Carcarius? No one uses him, low range for WD, low accuracy, easy to kill, can't do any real damage, no guaranteed Crit hits, no room for chain of epic hits. Overall - companion is not nearly powerful as other class companions. One more thing WD's are damaged with.

Lets talk about critical. Do we have some lower chance then the others? Even without boost buccs and bucklers critical a lot. I faced a bucc, who was under Musketeer's Mettle, that reduces Weapon Power and Will. I was boosted with will by 100%. I used mojo reaver, no crit.

Another example. I was surrounded with treants and bucc comps in one battle, I had increased will by 25%. I used Jobu's Embrace and Mojo Storm and I didn't land a single crit. How is that possible?! Are we crippled with this too? Please don't tell me that it is RNG, bcs this happens all the time. Buccs crit way to much, even with critical debuff, and WD can't crit even with boosted wiil?

Witchhunter - I think that this problem has been mentioned too many times, so I will just ask, can we expect a fix?

Reckless Frenzy - Really OP tool for a bucc with Absorb and damage reduction.

I can't remember now all the things I wanted to say, but I am really displeased on how you are handling this update.

Hopefully, you do something about it before you loose all WD's in the arena. It is great class, real shame that it has to suffer like that.

Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Duncan StormThief on Nov 9, 2015 wrote:
I was wondering when we are going to get PvP changes that will balance some things?

I am sure that you guys are aware by now, that WD's are not having great time in the arena, as a matter of fact they are not having any kind of time there. Why should they? Current meta is making them weak beyond any words. I am enjoying this feature since August and I have played over 500 matches so far. I am really surprised how nothing has been done to help this class (I don't count Old scratch and Cotta boost changes, because it made things for the worse, not better).

I am really tired getting stuck at hero facing the same people that are able to beat me in a single turn, first turn.

I can use Ratbeard with HtL, or try to summon Cottas, or to place barricades, or use summon of any kind to back them away, but it doesn't help. I am placing my fate on to pet with scent 2, which is my only counter against hidden enemy. Pet is easy to kill, there is no guarantees that he will appear, he often wonders somewhere else, when enemy charges it doesn't get revealed even if he got past my pet. To many randoms for a only counter to black fog, walk in darkness and walk in shadow.

Everyone uses Pete, Chantal, Fan and Marchioness. They all have their class attribute boost, guaranteed critical, great chain of epics. Fan and Pete are able to finish two companions or a player and companion in one singe chain of hits. Pete is stronger then WD player itself. Chantal is deadly with overwatch, which activates chain of epic hits and criticals.

Carcarius? No one uses him, low range for WD, low accuracy, easy to kill, can't do any real damage, no guaranteed Crit hits, no room for chain of epic hits. Overall - companion is not nearly powerful as other class companions. One more thing WD's are damaged with.

Lets talk about critical. Do we have some lower chance then the others? Even without boost buccs and bucklers critical a lot. I faced a bucc, who was under Musketeer's Mettle, that reduces Weapon Power and Will. I was boosted with will by 100%. I used mojo reaver, no crit.

Another example. I was surrounded with treants and bucc comps in one battle, I had increased will by 25%. I used Jobu's Embrace and Mojo Storm and I didn't land a single crit. How is that possible?! Are we crippled with this too? Please don't tell me that it is RNG, bcs this happens all the time. Buccs crit way to much, even with critical debuff, and WD can't crit even with boosted wiil?

Witchhunter - I think that this problem has been mentioned too many times, so I will just ask, can we expect a fix?

I can't remember now all the things I wanted to say, but I am really displeased on how you are handling this update.

Hopefully, you do something about it before you loose all WD's in the arena. It is great class, real shame that it has to suffer like that.

Stubborn Duncan Freeman
Especially when they have such potential to do damage. Its a shame that such a great class is hampered by these problems but also that a signature power of the WDs has been banned - Charm. Hopefully that power will be allowed soon.

Lieutenant
Feb 14, 2014
I think I can speak for the majority of Witches when I say this, but the PVP Hall is a dark and gloomy place for us. We can't even use companions of our own class to combat others. Swashbucklers can use Sarah, Fan, and Toro. Buccaneers can use Goro, Pete, and Baar. Musketeers can use Chantal, Louis, and Nausea. And Privateers can boost just about any class in any way. At this rate Witches should just avoid the PVP Hall at all costs. Even with Old Scratch we are helpless to defending ourselves and getting damage in as soon as possible. Some changes need to be made. On another note I cannot stand to see other classes complain about PVP being unfair for their class. No, you just don't understand strategy.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 07, 2014
Since PVP is a sub-unit to the main game - I personally hope it is 2 years and 5 months + some before they do anything more with PVP. That is how long we have been waiting for the next chapter of the MAIN GAME.

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
anecorbie on Nov 9, 2015 wrote:
Especially when they have such potential to do damage. Its a shame that such a great class is hampered by these problems but also that a signature power of the WDs has been banned - Charm. Hopefully that power will be allowed soon.
Charging classes would have to think twice before charging, since getting charmed might turn the odds in a battle.

I am currently farming Moo Tower for Charming Gaze mask. Once it gets off from the ban list, I am sure that Charming Gaze talent will be dominant in the future meta.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Developer
The timing of updates is out of my hands, but my ears are open in the meantime.

I have some things already in the works, but feel free to post suggestions here.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Charging classes would have to think twice before charging, since getting charmed might turn the odds in a battle.

I am currently farming Moo Tower for Charming Gaze mask. Once it gets off from the ban list, I am sure that Charming Gaze talent will be dominant in the future meta.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman
When the Charm/Charming Gaze ban is lifted, my WD will have access to 2 gazes ( mask & pet ) as well as her Charm spell. Can you then imagine the cries of dismay and the torrent of complaints flooding these boards? I've already had conversations with a few competitors in the PVP hall, all of whom claim Charm is "unfair".

Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014

Stubborn Duncan Freeman
I am going to show you how to disagree with every single topic you just stated.
You are complaining about the super companions from the update? Of course everybody is going to use them, they are the best companions of each class that have ever been created and you will just have to deal with it like the rest of us do. There are easy ways to counter all of these companions such as

Chantal Livingstone:
If you are a witchdoctor she shouldn't be a problem. All you need to do is to be able to think like a musketeer and be smart where you place your summons, she could easily be killed by summons in the matter of several rounds and since that has her occupied, the musket will most likely either fort/absorb or heal her in which you can get all your buffs up and a few aoe hits on the musket team.

Peter Quint:
In my privateer pvp, I next to always beat buccaneers using Emmett and ratbeard. This can work for witchdoctor too, just buy Exeter from the crown shop if you are willing to. Don't take this as pro advice, but if Exeter does have emmets weapon power debuff, you are good to go. Once pete takes his brutal charge he is all yours and you can easily weapon power de buff him and just spam all the de buffs or hits you can on him. Like for example, a chain lightning could be a good way to get rid of an absorb if luck is in your favor.

The Marchioness:
Privateers don't have that many good companions to actually rush in, take a lot of hits and do decent damage except Egg Shen. The marchioness was the solution to this problem. March can rush in and do damage but you just need to crit de buff her and you should be fine since she relies on chain criticals.

Fan Flanders:
Fan also relies on crit chains which means if you can critical de buff her, weapon power de buff her you should be in good shape for the rest of match once you get her down.

If you are struggling with Witchdoctor PvP I recommend you practice with a friend and learn the best strategy to get you to champ.

-Yohohoho

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
Unfair Angel on Nov 9, 2015 wrote:
I am going to show you how to disagree with every single topic you just stated.
You are complaining about the super companions from the update? Of course everybody is going to use them, they are the best companions of each class that have ever been created and you will just have to deal with it like the rest of us do. There are easy ways to counter all of these companions such as

Chantal Livingstone:
If you are a witchdoctor she shouldn't be a problem. All you need to do is to be able to think like a musketeer and be smart where you place your summons, she could easily be killed by summons in the matter of several rounds and since that has her occupied, the musket will most likely either fort/absorb or heal her in which you can get all your buffs up and a few aoe hits on the musket team.

Peter Quint:
In my privateer pvp, I next to always beat buccaneers using Emmett and ratbeard. This can work for witchdoctor too, just buy Exeter from the crown shop if you are willing to. Don't take this as pro advice, but if Exeter does have emmets weapon power debuff, you are good to go. Once pete takes his brutal charge he is all yours and you can easily weapon power de buff him and just spam all the de buffs or hits you can on him. Like for example, a chain lightning could be a good way to get rid of an absorb if luck is in your favor.

The Marchioness:
Privateers don't have that many good companions to actually rush in, take a lot of hits and do decent damage except Egg Shen. The marchioness was the solution to this problem. March can rush in and do damage but you just need to crit de buff her and you should be fine since she relies on chain criticals.

Fan Flanders:
Fan also relies on crit chains which means if you can critical de buff her, weapon power de buff her you should be in good shape for the rest of match once you get her down.

If you are struggling with Witchdoctor PvP I recommend you practice with a friend and learn the best strategy to get you to champ.

-Yohohoho
You misinterpreted my point.

Of course that they can be countered, but still you need to give in some extra work in order to achieve that, where for Carcarius you don't need to give even 5% of that extra work in order to defeat him or counter (fact is that there ins't anything to counter).

My point is that each class have that one special companion that they can count on. Compered with WD lvl 5 class companion, which is really silly companion, they are really way above him in every aspect of the game.

I am using Exeter. I am able to use movement debuff in first turn in 10% of my matches, boxes are always in the way. That same round Pete charges, and even with overwatch accuracy debuff, he is able to chain all his hits successfully.

Once pete takes his brutal charge..

...one, or sometimes two, of my companions are dead, and even if I kill him, Goronado and Barnabus are next in line to rush in, along with bucc pirate itself.

Fan also relies on crit chains which means if you can critical de buff her

Can't do much since she is usually hidden. And I am almost certain that crit debuff doesn't do anything, since I take criticals even when the opponent is cirt debuffed.

I think I played enough matches to make a decisions in battle that will result in good strategy, plus I have knowledge in all 5 classes, since I am leveling each pirate. It is certain at this point that WD struggles too much in PvP with any given strategy.

Champion Fall Weapon might help a LOT! But I have to get there somehow first.

@Ratbeard
I have some things already in the works, but feel free to post suggestions here.

I will do that. I think Carcarius needs some improvement, something that will make other players think "Oh no, he used Carcarius, I better prepare and think twice before I rush in, or before they rush in". Just like I am thinking about Chantal, Fan, Pete and Marchioness.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan freeman

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Ratbeard on Nov 9, 2015 wrote:

I've been thinking about this for a while, it's about summons.

Right now we pretty much assume they are nearly useless, I wont get back on that.

Now, what if summons (WD only summons, not item ones) had some kind of "priority target" tag?

Simply put, one cant attack anyone else until all summons are dead.

Dont tell me it's OP, summons are easy to kill, and WD dont have that many.

But it could turn the tables, give an extra turn or two to WD's.

Problem is, when charm is un-banned, WD might become too strong lol.

But maybe there's something to work with here?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

I think the main problem is Carcarius - although he has a useful buff for will and Purge, in accuracy and range he can't compare with the other level 5 class companions. A little tweaking there would be a big help.
The main item, though, is to allow Charm in ranked PVP, but I know you're already working on that.

Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014
You misinterpreted my point.

Of course that they can be countered, but still you need to give in some extra work in order to achieve that, where for Carcarius you don't need to give even 5% of that extra work in order to defeat him or counter (fact is that there ins't anything to counter).

My point is that each class have that one special companion that they can count on. Compered with WD lvl 5 class companion, which is really silly companion, they are really way above him in every aspect of the game.

I am using Exeter. I am able to use movement debuff in first turn in 10% of my matches, boxes are always in the way. That same round Pete charges, and even with overwatch accuracy debuff, he is able to chain all his hits successfully.

Once pete takes his brutal charge..

...one, or sometimes two, of my companions are dead, and even if I kill him, Goronado and Barnabus are next in line to rush in, along with bucc pirate itself.

Fan also relies on crit chains which means if you can critical de buff her

Can't do much since she is usually hidden. And I am almost certain that crit debuff doesn't do anything, since I take criticals even when the opponent is cirt debuffed.

I think I played enough matches to make a decisions in battle that will result in good strategy, plus I have knowledge in all 5 classes, since I am leveling each pirate. It is certain at this point that WD struggles too much in PvP with any given strategy.

Champion Fall Weapon might help a LOT! But I have to get there somehow first.

@Ratbeard

I will do that. I think Carcarius needs some improvement, something that will make other players think "Oh no, he used Carcarius, I better prepare and think twice before I rush in, or before they rush in". Just like I am thinking about Chantal, Fan, Pete and Marchioness.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan freeman
What do you mean "she is usually hidden"? Fan is only hidden when the fog of that the buckler itself is cast upon fan flanders. Hidden can now be easily countered these days thanks to the Emmett/Exeter Buffs like I said and you can just do Maelstrom on fan or anybody else that is seeming of a threat though I recommend not to do it on people with charges in hand since movement de buff cant affect that. Back to the point, there is many things you can do while they are hidden. Can you not Mojo storm or something like that I don't know your witch doctor ways but as I have seen in pvp witchdoctors are rare to see these days even though they can easily counter hidden in the meantime.

(Also this is probably the most radical idea ever seen in message boards but wouldn't it be cool if we could buy the other class super companions from the crown shop for something like 15000 crowns or maybe more/less, yet that would change pvp forever in the making so we will keep that idea at the drawing boards unless KI plans to implement any further notice into it what so ever).

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010

Ok, here are my thoughts.

First, I think that everyone agrees that Carcarius should be improved. Give him, Super Hit card. Make him stand out from other Witch companions. Boost his damage, accuracy, or maybe give him spell that does that to all witchdoctors. Power Within: +50% Will, + 50% Accuracy, + 50 (flat) armor.

Give Witchdoctor players ability to learn Retribution 3.

If anyone wonders what that is, here is the link to p101 Wiki Central Retribution Rank 1. My guess that Rank 2 would give WD chance to do up to 3 magic attacks after an enemy hits, and Rank 3 would do the same with chance to Stun an enemy.

When I play against buckler, and after I am dead, my companions can't do anything against him because he hides to much, heal, shield, etc. There has been situations where Old Scratch would just run around the arena in order to catch Swash when he is revealed, unsuccessfully. After his hide shows up, he hides, do all the above, and kills. This situation breaks the dynamic of the game, and it just consumes time and ends up with same result. This happens more often then it should.

Improve Mojo Blast 3 - Everyone with this epic rank 3 can target area rather then enemies. Meaning that Old Scratch can hit hidden units, without a chance to activate an epic.

I like Silver Angel's idea for WD power. Low level summons, that are bound to WD's Soul. While they are alive, WD is immune to any attack (lets call this power Horcrux Party). They can't deal any damage and instead of running towards an enemy, thy run away from them.

Make Mojo Echo and Jobu's Rouse hit to do damage to same area as original hit. In case we cast wand hit, which covers 3x3 area, X area or + area, above talents would do the same instead of hitting just the center target.

These are my suggestions so far.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
I hope I am not wrong when I say that Retribution gives WD and extra magic attack whenever he is hit by either slashy, smashy, stabby, shooty and staffy weapon.

Am I wrong?

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
Duncan StormThief on Nov 13, 2015 wrote:
I hope I am not wrong when I say that Retribution gives WD and extra magic attack whenever he is hit by either slashy, smashy, stabby, shooty and staffy weapon.

Am I wrong?

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman
I just checked this in game, and it appears that I am wrong.

Never mind then about Retribution Epic. Give us an epic that would act as retribution, vengeance strike and true grit all in one. We would be able to do bonus magical attack if we get hit by Slashy, Smashy, Stabby, Shooty or Staffy. That would make us unique :D

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014

First, I think that everyone agrees that Carcarius should be improved. Give him, Super Hit card. Make him stand out from other Witch companions. Boost his damage, accuracy, or maybe give him spell that does that to all witchdoctors. Power Within: +50% Will, + 50% Accuracy, + 50 (flat) armor.

If anyone wonders what that is, here is the link to p101 Wiki Central Retribution Rank 1. My guess that Rank 2 would give WD chance to do up to 3 magic attacks after an enemy hits, and Rank 3 would do the same with chance to Stun an enemy.

When I play against buckler, and after I am dead, my companions can't do anything against him because he hides to much, heal, shield, etc. There has been situations where Old Scratch would just run around the arena in order to catch Swash when he is revealed, unsuccessfully. After his hide shows up, he hides, do all the above, and kills. This situation breaks the dynamic of the game, and it just consumes time and ends up with same result. This happens more often then it should.

Improve Mojo Blast 3 - Everyone with this epic rank 3 can target area rather then enemies. Meaning that Old Scratch can hit hidden units, without a chance to activate an epic.

I like Silver Angel's idea for WD power. Low level summons, that are bound to WD's Soul. While they are alive, WD is immune to any attack (lets call this power Horcrux Party). They can't deal any damage and instead of running towards an enemy, thy run away from them.

Make Mojo Echo and Jobu's Rouse hit to do damage to same area as original hit. In case we cast wand hit, which covers 3x3 area, X area or + area, above talents would do the same instead of hitting just the center target.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman
Carcarius yes... he needs improvement, aside from what you said, he also needs range boost.

I could be wrong, but I assume he doesnt get to use his purge magic often... why not make it so that he can MOVE and purge? (only for Carcarius tho, not players eh)

I'm not sure about retribution 3, but I've witnessed retribution 1 in Regatta (from Old Scratch clone) and it seemed to counter whatever came at them... rank 1 might be enough for players. Remember just one can trigger mojo echo/rising etc.

WD players also need Mojo echo rank 2, any other class has access to relentless or burst fire rank 2 thank to trainers and pets. WD have a natural mojo echo, I think it wont hurt the game too much if a trainer can teach another rank.

I like the IMB 3 idea, target an area instead of a unit... but then the 10% damage boost should be removed.
Though I dont know if echo can trigger if you dont target a unit...

Echo and Jobu's ruse hitting 3x3 would be OP I think, Ratbeard already stated IMB and mojo rising are incompatible (on companions) because it would be too strong.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Silver Angel on Nov 10, 2015 wrote:
I've been thinking about this for a while, it's about summons.

Right now we pretty much assume they are nearly useless, I wont get back on that.

Now, what if summons (WD only summons, not item ones) had some kind of "priority target" tag?

Simply put, one cant attack anyone else until all summons are dead.

Dont tell me it's OP, summons are easy to kill, and WD dont have that many.

But it could turn the tables, give an extra turn or two to WD's.

Problem is, when charm is un-banned, WD might become too strong lol.

But maybe there's something to work with here?
"Simply put, one can't attack anyone else until all summons are dead."
I'm sorry, but that's completely wrong. That would ruin any strategy by making them attack targets they don't want to attack. In PVE there are plenty of examples of this kind of priority - Hydra and the Moo battle - where you have to follow steps before the battle can be won, but why on earth bring this into the PVP hall?
".... summons are easy to kill and WD don't have that many."
You point out that summons are easy to kill, that maybe so, but also WDs do have at least 4 summons and access to more through gear; all they have to do is spam summons, then what is the WD doing in the meantime? Without restrictions on them, they are attacking the opponent at will, this is truly unfair and OP by any definition.
"Haha, I can hit you, but you can't hit back."

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
I give up for now.

Will stay from the arena till something is changed. Won't update my sub.

Got little furious after Buccaneer stripped all my health + 2k absorb all under 50% shield with reckless frenzy, and live. What is the negative effect of this power then?

I can't deal with this unfairness anymore.

Echo and Jobu's ruse hitting 3x3 would be OP I think

Every other class is OP with something, only we are failing behind.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
anecorbie on Nov 9, 2015 wrote:
When the Charm/Charming Gaze ban is lifted, my WD will have access to 2 gazes ( mask & pet ) as well as her Charm spell. Can you then imagine the cries of dismay and the torrent of complaints flooding these boards? I've already had conversations with a few competitors in the PVP hall, all of whom claim Charm is "unfair".
All is fair in love and war.......

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I'd like some cool looking privateer gear and a power that causes blind or confusion or maybe a power that makes the target tiny like tiny Manchu when he is beaten. Tiny Tiny!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Feb 08, 2014
I normally use an Old Scratch, Mormo, and Inoshishi Necromancer/Carcarious Grimtooth combo. Works fine, most of the time...

Lieutenant
Feb 08, 2014

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman
Maybe give WD's Intuition 3 as well

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
I'm here to talk about Reckless Frenzy.

XD like 3 times now Fearless Finnigan's buck has missed me on the second hit on reckless frenzy and lost the fight.

btw, that's like 130 accuracy against 80 dodge, and like full critical chance

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
AndrewDeathblade11... on Nov 19, 2015 wrote:
I'm here to talk about Reckless Frenzy.

XD like 3 times now Fearless Finnigan's buck has missed me on the second hit on reckless frenzy and lost the fight.

btw, that's like 130 accuracy against 80 dodge, and like full critical chance
Well when it does work I crush you(In the spirit of friendly competition, of course)

Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014
If only buccaneers didn't have highland then I would win 11/10 fights vs champion buccaneers with my privy...