Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Buccaneers Are 2 Good 4 Me

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Okay, first, let me get this straight. For the record, Privateers have been and always will be my favorite class.

Now that that's outta the way, this post is ALL about how super awesome Buccaneers are.
Like, really, I haven't been here that long but from KV's series, I knew that Buccaneers were pretty underpowered before BS update. But now? Oh gosh, combined with Peter Quint, Buccaneers are so darn good.
No joke. Like, the whole reason I took like a 13 month+ break from the game was because Port Regal was too annoying for Owen to handle, because I was dumb and hadn't thought to Level Up my Nautical Level. Well, that and in 2013 my patience levels were astronomically low. BUT NOW, Oh man.. don't get me wrong, Rachel is only Nautical Level 20. But with Bladestorm/Relentless Kobe (thanks by the way to Quite Jacques and The Helpful Pirate ) and a Relentless 2/Bladestorm Pete, I feel like NOTHING can stop me, long as I keep popping these Shark's Fury. Man, it feels invincible to be a Buccaneer If I'd known how much fun this class was earlier, I woulda let Mordekai yell at me all day and created one sooner. I'm on my last Marleybone ship, then it's time to show those Clockworks just how powerful Pelicans can be!

Corrupt Rachel Bellamy, Level 29 Buckaroo (that's such a silly title but I love it)

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Jun 14, 2015 wrote:
Okay, first, let me get this straight. For the record, Privateers have been and always will be my favorite class.

Now that that's outta the way, this post is ALL about how super awesome Buccaneers are.
Like, really, I haven't been here that long but from KV's series, I knew that Buccaneers were pretty underpowered before BS update. But now? Oh gosh, combined with Peter Quint, Buccaneers are so darn good.
No joke. Like, the whole reason I took like a 13 month+ break from the game was because Port Regal was too annoying for Owen to handle, because I was dumb and hadn't thought to Level Up my Nautical Level. Well, that and in 2013 my patience levels were astronomically low. BUT NOW, Oh man.. don't get me wrong, Rachel is only Nautical Level 20. But with Bladestorm/Relentless Kobe (thanks by the way to Quite Jacques and The Helpful Pirate ) and a Relentless 2/Bladestorm Pete, I feel like NOTHING can stop me, long as I keep popping these Shark's Fury. Man, it feels invincible to be a Buccaneer If I'd known how much fun this class was earlier, I woulda let Mordekai yell at me all day and created one sooner. I'm on my last Marleybone ship, then it's time to show those Clockworks just how powerful Pelicans can be!

Corrupt Rachel Bellamy, Level 29 Buckaroo (that's such a silly title but I love it)
Woot a brother in arms! Bucc has always been my favorite class, and I'm glad you're enjoying it as well! Wait until you get Vengeance Strike 2 and Blade Storm 2, the chains will be out of this world!

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Nightblood1995 on Jun 15, 2015 wrote:
Woot a brother in arms! Bucc has always been my favorite class, and I'm glad you're enjoying it as well! Wait until you get Vengeance Strike 2 and Blade Storm 2, the chains will be out of this world!
I already have Vengeance 2 (I don't know about you but holy moly that was the hardest class quest I ever had to do. Those stupid Shaman's were always critting) and I'm practically dying from excitement for when I get to Level 40. I'm in Tumbleweed and just gathered the seven, and I feel as though the Broncos, Blood, and Deacon combined couldn't stop me!

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
UPDATE: As I suspected, my Buck cruised through the rest of Cool Ranch [with help from a new Swashbuckler friend]. She soloed Miranda with ease and beat Blood no prob. I helped my Swash friend beat Blood then we both fought Deacon together and totally messed him up. It was SO fun! Can't wait to do Kobe's promotion quest :)

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Jun 15, 2015 wrote:
I already have Vengeance 2 (I don't know about you but holy moly that was the hardest class quest I ever had to do. Those stupid Shaman's were always critting) and I'm practically dying from excitement for when I get to Level 40. I'm in Tumbleweed and just gathered the seven, and I feel as though the Broncos, Blood, and Deacon combined couldn't stop me!
I have never died on my Bucc, except for that highly unfair and rigged battle in the Banditoad Fortress where it's 5 against 3. That's the only time I lost, simply cuz they kept critting nonstop. Other than that, just keep your Kobe alive (if you're using him) and you're golden XD

Oh man, in Mooshu I remember I got a full chain of Blade Storms, all of which Criticals. That was so sweet XD and I agree, that Vengeance Strike 2 quest was so irritating but so worth it in the end). I can't wait until I get Reckless Frenzy in about 10 levels XD

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Nightblood1995 on Jun 16, 2015 wrote:
I have never died on my Bucc, except for that highly unfair and rigged battle in the Banditoad Fortress where it's 5 against 3. That's the only time I lost, simply cuz they kept critting nonstop. Other than that, just keep your Kobe alive (if you're using him) and you're golden XD

Oh man, in Mooshu I remember I got a full chain of Blade Storms, all of which Criticals. That was so sweet XD and I agree, that Vengeance Strike 2 quest was so irritating but so worth it in the end). I can't wait until I get Reckless Frenzy in about 10 levels XD
CHEERS, Wolf & Owen!

I absolutely love playing as a Bucc. I think it's a class that often gets mislabeled as not requiring much skill or strategy. I've heard that kind of comment from quite a few players in the Spiral. It seems that those that aren't familiar with the class think that it's simply a charge into battle with no planning, swing till you or the enemy becomes 'bobbley' & that's about it. I think this misconception comes from players stereotyping Buccs as what they are 'supposed to be' & not what they can 'achieve to be'. Just because a Bucc has high health, high armor & lots of attacking & counter attacking Epic Talents, it doesn't mean that they have to be all brawn & no brains.

There's somewhat of a 'fueled by thought & guided by luck, random science' to triggering all of you Bucc's Blade Storms, Critical Hits, Vengeance Strikes & possibly Follow Through. Sure you can just go in swinging wildly, but with proper placement & targeting, it does actually require thinking to get the most out of your epic chains & talents. What good is multiple Vengeances, Blade Storms, TtT's Follow Through, if you don't position yourself to target the 'right' enemy to increase your chances of as many Epics triggering in any given round?

I think the Bucc. was developed as one of the most complete classes in the game, with every power & Epic Talent making the most of each, other power/talent, & the class. Reckless Frenzy goes hand in hand with your Bucc's Turn the Tides. And proper targeting & timing of your Brutal Charges & Vicious Strikes add to the strategy. Using RF when your Bucc is near or below 50% health & after using a combo of a couple of Shielding, Strength & Accuracy buffs, ensures that those Reckless strikes do a ton of additional damage and also trigger Blade Storms to keep the attack going. The bonus Damage, Accuracy & Dodge from RF-- combined with your buffs -- are key to prolonging your chains.

It's a great class & I truly enjoy playing as a Buccaneer!

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Nightblood1995 on Jun 16, 2015 wrote:

Oh sweet Marco Pollo, Reckless Frenzy looks like a stupid fun power to use. I mean, you get to HIT until you MISS and it's a huge risk and it feels perfect for Buccaneers. Can't wait till I get to that point! However, for today, I'm taking a tiny break from the message boards and from my Buccaneer since I didn't get much sleep and so I feel off. I just started a Witch and I'll work on my Witch for today so I don't say anything I regret. Thank you very much for commenting :p I have a huge respect for Bucks now (every class really but I've only just tapped the surface of what it's like to be a Buck).

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Buckies are indeed a lot of fun.

I think KI did a great job balancing the diverse classes. I have run at least one pirate of each class to max level solo, except witchdoctor (Silent Quinn is now at lvl 60, so he is close). Based on my experience, here is how I would rank the classes for solo play:

Privateers
Swashbucklers/Musketeers (too close to call)
Buccaneers
Witchdoctors

This ranking is based on limited data (one pirate in each class, except two buckies) and probably my experiences will not be universal (for example, I have run two buckies all the way up, and one had a much easier time than the other - in part because of better luck scoring kit).

For cooperative play, I would still rank the Privateer first.

-Indigo

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jun 16, 2015 wrote:
CHEERS, Wolf & Owen!

I absolutely love playing as a Bucc. I think it's a class that often gets mislabeled as not requiring much skill or strategy. I've heard that kind of comment from quite a few players in the Spiral. It seems that those that aren't familiar with the class think that it's simply a charge into battle with no planning, swing till you or the enemy becomes 'bobbley' & that's about it. I think this misconception comes from players stereotyping Buccs as what they are 'supposed to be' & not what they can 'achieve to be'. Just because a Bucc has high health, high armor & lots of attacking & counter attacking Epic Talents, it doesn't mean that they have to be all brawn & no brains.

There's somewhat of a 'fueled by thought & guided by luck, random science' to triggering all of you Bucc's Blade Storms, Critical Hits, Vengeance Strikes & possibly Follow Through. Sure you can just go in swinging wildly, but with proper placement & targeting, it does actually require thinking to get the most out of your epic chains & talents. What good is multiple Vengeances, Blade Storms, TtT's Follow Through, if you don't position yourself to target the 'right' enemy to increase your chances of as many Epics triggering in any given round?

I think the Bucc. was developed as one of the most complete classes in the game, with every power & Epic Talent making the most of each, other power/talent, & the class. Reckless Frenzy goes hand in hand with your Bucc's Turn the Tides. And proper targeting & timing of your Brutal Charges & Vicious Strikes add to the strategy. Using RF when your Bucc is near or below 50% health & after using a combo of a couple of Shielding, Strength & Accuracy buffs, ensures that those Reckless strikes do a ton of additional damage and also trigger Blade Storms to keep the attack going. The bonus Damage, Accuracy & Dodge from RF-- combined with your buffs -- are key to prolonging your chains.

It's a great class & I truly enjoy playing as a Buccaneer!
I agree, Bucc requires more strategy and thinking than most would think. Mainly because Buccs have pretty much no offensive Powers, just the 3 Charges and Reckless Frenzy from what I can remember without logging on to check completely. The rest is all about Talents and taking hits.

As a Bucc, you gotta keep an eye on your Companions (especially Kobe and Toro) since they're your primary source of burst damage. You gotta keep the aggro on yourself while they sneak around wiping out the enemy one by one. Otherwise, with them down, you've got a long and rough battle ahead.

Totally agree! Blade Storm, Vengeance Strike and Turn the Tide exists for crowd control, not 1v1 combat. I normally will use Walk in Shadows, then use a Vicious Strike right in the center of the enemy so I can get as many hits off on as many targets as possible. I've actually strung a full Blade Storm and Vengeance Strike chain before against a Bucc that had Vengeance Strike 2. It was so awesome, the samoorai had over 2k health and I was still able to take him out with ease.

You summed up the Bucc class perfectly! Agreed, it's not about being the 'easiest' class, it's about being the biggest melee class in game. You're a tank, as such your job isn't necessarily to destroy enemy after enemy but rather to draw their attention and keep them on you while your crewmates/friends go to town on them from behind.

Only thing I hate about the Bucc at the moment is how useless Loud is. Doesn't work at all, at least for me.

Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
Welcome to the family! I love how close Kobe is to your pirate, he becomes like an adoptive brother/father to you You could say I'm his #1 fan