Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The issues of having a ranked PvP-system

AuthorMessage
Captain
Mar 24, 2013
I used to ranked pvp in wizards, and belive it players begin to fight with each other.I just hope pirates won't fallow that path, like calling out to others due to envy, false reporting the victor ect. Belive me I been there and that did turned ugly.

So if ranked pvp comes to pirates, I just want to have a friendly competition that's all. If I may request please be nice to others when playing ranked pvp, like no false reporting if you lose the match or posting mean comments during the pvp, it just ruin the enjoyment for everyone. I hope this respond to the post make sense,what I don't want to see very often is word fighting at Avery's court. It ruins the friendly atmosphere of the game, like some one said to me once in wizards " Keep clam and carry on."

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I don't enjoy pvp because it creates a hostile atmosphere. I lose more friends through pvp then any other way. Actually people aren't friends at all really. I haven't had the luck or pleasure. I enjoy playing this game and helping others. The run of my associations look like this: friendly beginnings, assisting on quests, helping farm for strong gear, and then the day comes. He challenges me to pvp. Not again. Sure sometimes I refuse but he comes back again whispering it on my screen nonstop, endlessly until it fills up my screen. So we fight and after his loss I say good game and he defriends me or gets angry and I do the same to him. Terrible way to live. I would like to have nice people where I don't have to constantly have that happen. I would like some peace and laughter and you know what, I actually would like to morph a decent pet or go to a party.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
You can't regiment people's behavior, some will always be sore losers or boastful winners. There will be a handful of truly generous, kind pvp players - to them the match truly is about strategy and playing against another human and not a machine, winning to these players isn't so important.
If pvp is what you enjoy, don't let a few loud mouth, smack talking egoists get you down. Brush them off and go on to the next fight. I like the advice in the above post: "Keep calm and carry on".

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
DuranteRamses87 on Feb 10, 2015 wrote:
I don't enjoy pvp because it creates a hostile atmosphere. I lose more friends through pvp then any other way. Actually people aren't friends at all really. I haven't had the luck or pleasure. I enjoy playing this game and helping others. The run of my associations look like this: friendly beginnings, assisting on quests, helping farm for strong gear, and then the day comes. He challenges me to pvp. Not again. Sure sometimes I refuse but he comes back again whispering it on my screen nonstop, endlessly until it fills up my screen. So we fight and after his loss I say good game and he defriends me or gets angry and I do the same to him. Terrible way to live. I would like to have nice people where I don't have to constantly have that happen. I would like some peace and laughter and you know what, I actually would like to morph a decent pet or go to a party.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
simple solution, stay out of the brawl hall, there's no reason to go there unless your going to pvp

Petty Officer
Jul 22, 2013
I wouldn't call it luck but chances:
Ex: I El Toro to a enemy with 1000 health I have a Chance to kill him with rentless

David Percy Level 65

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
zuto4011a on Feb 10, 2015 wrote:
simple solution, stay out of the brawl hall, there's no reason to go there unless your going to pvp
It's usually at my house and it's by people on my friend list who relentlessly whisper until I fight and if I refuse they come back the next day and do the same thing and then when I win they defriend and never come back. I defriend when they can't get past their loss and continue to be friends. Why does losing a pvp match have to be a deal breaker? I'm just saying I wish it didn't come to that all the time.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
DuranteRamses87 on Feb 13, 2015 wrote:
It's usually at my house and it's by people on my friend list who relentlessly whisper until I fight and if I refuse they come back the next day and do the same thing and then when I win they defriend and never come back. I defriend when they can't get past their loss and continue to be friends. Why does losing a pvp match have to be a deal breaker? I'm just saying I wish it didn't come to that all the time.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
I don't see why your complaining about having these people unfriend you, it just shows they aren't real friends, your saving yourself future trouble

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Feb 10, 2015 wrote:

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
I have also experienced what you describe, however I have also experienced the flip side...good natured competition among friends and strangers alike. I think that pvp is a natural progression for games like this one where a player farms for gear in order to build the strongest character they can. I feel that at some point we all want to see how we stack up against our peers. I enjoy the storyline and questing most of all, but pvp is an element of the game that I also enjoy a great deal. Just be aware of the fact that you will have both positive and negative gaming experiences...just like you will have these types of experiences outside of the game. Such is life and there is no way to avoid or regulate it. I have been fortunate enough to forge some lasting friendships here in p101 that are just as important to me as the friendships I maintain in the 'real world'. My friends and I quest together and we also pvp together. It is sad that we all will eventually encounter a poor sport or a bully, but just like in real life...it's bound to happen sooner or later. Just conduct yourself honorably and respectfully and the rest will take care of itself. Fair sailing, friend!

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
DuranteRamses87 on Feb 13, 2015 wrote:

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
You see high yet failed expectations are followed by foolish responses. Thing is that some people upgrade the self-related thoughts, and degrade the opponent-related ones. The actions in which you're experiencing with your so-called friends, are definitely a result of them thinking low of you, and high of their own. Some are positive shocks, and some are negative. They pretty much get shocked by losing to someone that they have had mentally criticized and poorly ranked. Forgive them mate; and ask them to not judge a book by its cover.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Tactician0 on Oct 28, 2014 wrote:
To be quite honest I have a small "vision" for the ranking of PvP. Now apart from the fact that PvP is about strategy, positioning, timing, skill, and apart from using your head in battle, there is what you call LUCK. Luck has a huge part in PvP. You can have an ingenious plan, some unreadable and mysterious tactics, even if you do every single thing right, every single move in time; you're still going to face luck at some point. I fear one day, players who deserve the highest ranks, players who do their best in PvP, will face cheap defeats and losses because of luck, will have their ranks as heavy as an anchor in the sea. Trust me when I say this, players are going to hurt and end up acting recklessly.
Assume there are two pro-level players in a 1v1, they're both really good and none of them is better than the other, now let's say they both do everything right and don't make a mistake, so they reach the level of being equal in the battle; at one certain point, luck is going to release its force and turn the tides. Long story short, nothing can be perfect; we all want the ranking system to hit the game, but even light has some weight, everything carries some negativity. So may the significance reduce the consequences.

Cheers!
Well, even in real life, if two combatants were as evenly matched as you say, luck would also be a factor. In a real life situation what circumstances would determine the outcome? One of those involved catching their foot on a rock and stumbling? A bead of sweat dripping into an eye at the wrong moment? The pvp system in this game is about as good as they get. I have fought enough battles in this game and others to know that the better player usually wins. I have yet to see an instance where 'dumb luck' had any significant impact on the outcome. Even if it did, the randomness of it would ensure that eventually you would benefit from it as well. I love the combat system in this game and I don't see a whole lot of room for improvement.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
The only thing I would request changed about the battle system is if the Powers didn't come up randomly. That, I think, would balance out the luck factor of the game.

Now, onto my next subject. I've gotten into PvP fairly recently, and NEVER have I found a sore loser, even people about 50 levels below me. When I win, they just laugh, so I laugh with them. No hard feelings. I don't just pick off guarantied kills for me though. I've fought a max level privateer once, and I emerged on the winning side. It was all good afterwards, no hard feelings at all. I understand some people have a hard time with losing matches, but I ask those people this, "Are you happy with yourself? Does that make you feel like a big man now? Demeaning your superiors?" Just laugh off your losses, find your Achilles's Heel, and find a way around that weakness. i.e Nausica is too frail, put up valor's whatever on her(seriously, anything helps tremendously)

When Ranked PvP enters P101, I'll participate NOT for that Warlord badge, but for finding an opponent other than a computer.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl 65

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
FireMorgan13 on Mar 29, 2015 wrote:
The only thing I would request changed about the battle system is if the Powers didn't come up randomly. That, I think, would balance out the luck factor of the game.

Now, onto my next subject. I've gotten into PvP fairly recently, and NEVER have I found a sore loser, even people about 50 levels below me. When I win, they just laugh, so I laugh with them. No hard feelings. I don't just pick off guarantied kills for me though. I've fought a max level privateer once, and I emerged on the winning side. It was all good afterwards, no hard feelings at all. I understand some people have a hard time with losing matches, but I ask those people this, "Are you happy with yourself? Does that make you feel like a big man now? Demeaning your superiors?" Just laugh off your losses, find your Achilles's Heel, and find a way around that weakness. i.e Nausica is too frail, put up valor's whatever on her(seriously, anything helps tremendously)

When Ranked PvP enters P101, I'll participate NOT for that Warlord badge, but for finding an opponent other than a computer.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl 65
Totally agreed on getting rid of the powers' order's randomness. That itself would be a whole new subject, that's why I focused on the in-battle engagement luck.
Now, yet again, someone personalizes using specifications. Missing my point has become such a wide commonality in this thread. But like I mentioned in my previous replies, this is an extremely generalized topic. Nothing is personal; forget the "you" and remember the "it", will ya?
Achilles's Heel however, has nothing to do with this case. We're talking about luck right here, and luck is a double-edged sword. It was never mentioned anywhere, that by any chance, the heel of Achilles was his point of strength; it was nothing but his weakness. Achilles's heel is a reversed, one-edged sword, that's targeting you. Luck onthe other hand is aimed by you just like on you.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Tactician0 on Apr 2, 2015 wrote:
Totally agreed on getting rid of the powers' order's randomness. That itself would be a whole new subject, that's why I focused on the in-battle engagement luck.
Now, yet again, someone personalizes using specifications. Missing my point has become such a wide commonality in this thread. But like I mentioned in my previous replies, this is an extremely generalized topic. Nothing is personal; forget the "you" and remember the "it", will ya?
Achilles's Heel however, has nothing to do with this case. We're talking about luck right here, and luck is a double-edged sword. It was never mentioned anywhere, that by any chance, the heel of Achilles was his point of strength; it was nothing but his weakness. Achilles's heel is a reversed, one-edged sword, that's targeting you. Luck onthe other hand is aimed by you just like on you.
Ok, there seems to be a misunderstanding(I have a lot of those myself). I wasn't targeting you specifically; I meant people who insult or falsely report other people after losing. I completely agree with what you're saying and I respect you.

I'm also well educated in Greek mythology, and I'm aware that according to The Illiad written by Homer, during the Trojan War, Achilles was caught off guard by Paris and got shot in the heel, which resulted in his death. It should be noted he wasn't fighting at the time.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Umm... saying that Achilles's heel has nothing to do with the situation is like saying that the bad side of luck doesn't have an effect. The whole thing about Achilles is that he was INVINCIBLE unless that part was targeted. The Achilles's Heel principle is totally a double edged sword. You are immune to all attacks, unless you are hit right here. Maybe the Achilles principle would be a better term for it, but even then that heel still is half of the sword, the balancer, if you want to call it that..

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
FireMorgan13 on Apr 3, 2015 wrote:
Ok, there seems to be a misunderstanding(I have a lot of those myself). I wasn't targeting you specifically; I meant people who insult or falsely report other people after losing. I completely agree with what you're saying and I respect you.

I'm also well educated in Greek mythology, and I'm aware that according to The Illiad written by Homer, during the Trojan War, Achilles was caught off guard by Paris and got shot in the heel, which resulted in his death. It should be noted he wasn't fighting at the time.

Again, sorry for the confusion.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. But no problem at all as long we're on topic!
It's true, Paris was the one who shot an arrow towards Achilles. As well as Achilles wasn't fighting; he was talking to the captive girl Briseis. I'm glad we share this knowledge and interest of the Trojan War!

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
Voodoo Cornelius on Apr 3, 2015 wrote:
Umm... saying that Achilles's heel has nothing to do with the situation is like saying that the bad side of luck doesn't have an effect. The whole thing about Achilles is that he was INVINCIBLE unless that part was targeted. The Achilles's Heel principle is totally a double edged sword. You are immune to all attacks, unless you are hit right here. Maybe the Achilles principle would be a better term for it, but even then that heel still is half of the sword, the balancer, if you want to call it that..
I meant what I said in a different sense. Simple differentiation: luck and the heel of Achilles. His heel was nothing but his weakness; if you look at the whole image. Every part of his body was immortalized, but his heel. Now yes the rest of his body is immune to attacks, but we're talking about the heel only. So comparing that to luck, luck has a positive and a negative effect. You gain and lose with luck. While the heel of Achilles was what caused his death! Achilles lost with his heel, he didn't gain! In fact, being the only unprotected part, his heel was the negative connection with the fully-resistant rest of his body.
In addition to that, the Achilles's Heel principle is a symbolization of weakness; nothing else! I'm not sure how it's a double-edged one.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
he isn't PERSONALIZING the situation, he is APPLYING the theory. its not personal if it is a hypothetical situation involving circumstances and companions that all players have.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Tactician0 on Apr 4, 2015 wrote:
I meant what I said in a different sense. Simple differentiation: luck and the heel of Achilles. His heel was nothing but his weakness; if you look at the whole image. Every part of his body was immortalized, but his heel. Now yes the rest of his body is immune to attacks, but we're talking about the heel only. So comparing that to luck, luck has a positive and a negative effect. You gain and lose with luck. While the heel of Achilles was what caused his death! Achilles lost with his heel, he didn't gain! In fact, being the only unprotected part, his heel was the negative connection with the fully-resistant rest of his body.
In addition to that, the Achilles's Heel principle is a symbolization of weakness; nothing else! I'm not sure how it's a double-edged one.
I see what you mean now. Sorry about that. I made mistake of responding to your post without looking at what context it was used in what you were responding to. Though I would like to point out the the Achilles's Heel principle, while the heel itself is a deadly weakness, it in itself implies overall strength everywhere else.

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
Blixet on Apr 5, 2015 wrote:
he isn't PERSONALIZING the situation, he is APPLYING the theory. its not personal if it is a hypothetical situation involving circumstances and companions that all players have.
I think #FireMorgan13 and I already cleared the misunderstanding from the situation!!

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
Voodoo Cornelius on Apr 5, 2015 wrote:
I see what you mean now. Sorry about that. I made mistake of responding to your post without looking at what context it was used in what you were responding to. Though I would like to point out the the Achilles's Heel principle, while the heel itself is a deadly weakness, it in itself implies overall strength everywhere else.
Very true, if we think about it differently it could be thought of as a tool of success. Achilles was most likely a Swashbuckler so he surely needed his heel to make use of his agile body.

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
anecorbie on Oct 29, 2014 wrote:
When PVP comes to P101, it won't be played for strategy, but for status. The ranking badges that I see in W101 are proudly displayed, it will be the same here. Also throw in the tickets that you get which can be used to purchase unique items.
You mentioned that a player with good gear and strategy could 'face a cheap defeat' due entirely to luck, this will certainly lead to negative experiences, because very few young people ( I group those 18 and under in this category ) have the maturity to deal with a defeat. Even a few adults have trouble with it.
The point being, PVP is already very competitive, it will become worse with ranked.
Aye, It's a horrible truth. In w101 i can't get anywhere in pvp, and i feel shamed. Though it is still a fun sport (yes, a sport) it will have consequences like so. Btw, if anyone needs a good privy i'm open. I is terrible at 1v1, and work better in groups .

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
Tactician0 on Apr 6, 2015 wrote:
Very true, if we think about it differently it could be thought of as a tool of success. Achilles was most likely a Swashbuckler so he surely needed his heel to make use of his agile body.
funny.
would a musketeer's version of the achilles heel be someoneanother-icus' eye?

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
noahdd on Apr 7, 2015 wrote:
funny.
would a musketeer's version of the achilles heel be someoneanother-icus' eye?
Lol maybe. To a Privateer though it would be totally non-physical.