Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A Distinct Lack Of Privateers And Musketeers

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Where are they all at? I understand musketeer and privateer don't have super spooky spells, insta-kill hits, or just pure awesome-ness and brute force, but they are still pretty darn awesome!

Just a wonder, how many of you have actually played privateer and musketeer to a higher level, both of the classes make soloing a cakewalk! Recently while I was maxing my witch I was struggling to all heck trying to keep my companions and myself alive, but I'm pretty sure that musket was not as nearly as hard (I maxed this character like a year ago and I'm pretty sure it was even more difficult back then) and I'm doing some light questing on my privy in marleybone and I haven't lost a single companion.

Why is this game Swashbucklerdoctorneer101?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Dead Eye Luke on Oct 27, 2014 wrote:
Where are they all at? I understand musketeer and privateer don't have super spooky spells, insta-kill hits, or just pure awesome-ness and brute force, but they are still pretty darn awesome!

Just a wonder, how many of you have actually played privateer and musketeer to a higher level, both of the classes make soloing a cakewalk! Recently while I was maxing my witch I was struggling to all heck trying to keep my companions and myself alive, but I'm pretty sure that musket was not as nearly as hard (I maxed this character like a year ago and I'm pretty sure it was even more difficult back then) and I'm doing some light questing on my privy in marleybone and I haven't lost a single companion.

Why is this game Swashbucklerdoctorneer101?
I have ALL classes at max level. They have their strengths and weaknesses. I have soloed all dungeons in this game on all classes and the only one I absolutely HAD to have help with was the Hydra dungeon.
My swashbucklers had the worse time in Cool Ranch ( all those musketeers with over watch! )
My Musketeer had trouble in MooShu ( all those Samoorai )
My buccaneer became a TANK when she got to level 25, everything was fine after that.
Both Witchdoctors and Privateers have the most trouble in the early parts of the game, but with higher levels; the witches get powerful spells and the privs get more choice of companions with powerful buffs, so everything evens out.

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
True what you said, but it's quite obvious why. Swashbucklers have about the most attacks and instant killing powers and of course hiding, and players find Swashbuckling the fastest way to max up your character. It's true, out of all my chars in the game, the fastest was the buckler. Now I'm not sure about Musket, but I am darn sure about Privateers! Privy is the boring class when people give it a quick look from the outside, but in reality, Privateering is a profession; so is Swashbuckling, Buccaneering, Archery, and Witchcraft. Now I do agree not a lot of Privateers exist anymore, and that's because not anyone knows how to use it the right way.That's why I always argue that Privateer is the most complicated class when it comes to making a use of what it offers.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
i dont have a clue what your talking about! true, it seems like a lot of people (myself included) favor swashbucklers as their main class for the high damage output and in-combat-flexibility. however, i see witchdoctors, buccaneers, musketeers, and privateers almost as often as bucklers; in fact i would say that musketeer is number 2 in popularity and privateer is 3. maybe one of us is just having an unusual time with player variation. . . and in answer to your question, i have a maxed privy, musket, and buckler.

Ensign
Dec 21, 2013
i actually have both a maxed Privateer and a maxed Musketeer and i must agree, i see a lack of privateers i barely see any around

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I am a privateer that plays regularly. The reason that many players choose not to be a privateer is because battles take longer because our attack is lower and we don't have many epics. Yet I love being a privateer because I empower YOU to use your epics. There is nothing more satisfying to a battle commander than the ability to empower his troops and see them kick the enemy's butt.

I got your six! Charge!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Oct 28, 2014 wrote:
I am a privateer that plays regularly. The reason that many players choose not to be a privateer is because battles take longer because our attack is lower and we don't have many epics. Yet I love being a privateer because I empower YOU to use your epics. There is nothing more satisfying to a battle commander than the ability to empower his troops and see them kick the enemy's butt.

I got your six! Charge!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
True, the Privateer class is for thinkers and planners, these are the 'Generals' who lead the troops to victory, I'm always happy to see a privateer, and never discount what they do 'behind the scenes' when I'm up-front and fighting ( because I know every critical and heavy damage comes from them )

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I am not sure WHAT you mean. My main Chrissy is a max privateer and is quite the popular pirate for Moo Tower runs. Actually I have TWO privateers, I have one in Cool Ranch too. I also have a max musketteer that totally kicks tush too. Privateers and musketeers have done me proud.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Are you talking about PvP or just running around in general? I have pirates of all classes running around at various levels, but you'll never see a one of them in PvP - so you can't judge the general population just by a small viewing window like that.

Also, many of us choose to play in the quiet realms rather than Avery.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 28, 2014 wrote:
I am not sure WHAT you mean. My main Chrissy is a max privateer and is quite the popular pirate for Moo Tower runs. Actually I have TWO privateers, I have one in Cool Ranch too. I also have a max musketteer that totally kicks tush too. Privateers and musketeers have done me proud.
Yep! Same here! I focus all of my time on my Musketeer, and he is really popular with running through the Tower when I am up to it! Musketeers are EXTREMELY useful, and I believe that given the sheer amount of moves they can get, are extremely powerful.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 28, 2014 wrote:
I'm glad you are one of the actual people that has actually grasped the strengths of these classes

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
I've been on P101 long enough to notice a lot, but I can't see where ye be going here mate, I've seen more then enough of every pirate P101 how can there be a lack of these pirate.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I haven't particularly noticed an imbalance, except for a tilt toward people swashing their buckles. Overall I think KI did a good job balancing the classes, and it seems like in the realms I play in the classes are all represented quite well.

Personally, on my two accounts I have three privateers and three swashies and two of everybody else. I haven't maxed a Buccie yet (the highest as 58) or a muskie (highest = 63), but only because I was sidetracked before running them up those last few levels (the last update with the new Skull Island quests lured me into playing more baby pirates).

-Indigo

Ensign
Nov 23, 2013
Right now my only Pirate on my one account is a Swashie, and she totally kicks tush. I'm thinking about trying out Musketeer or Buccaneer, but Privateer sounds good, too.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Indigo Ring on Oct 29, 2014 wrote:
I haven't particularly noticed an imbalance, except for a tilt toward people swashing their buckles. Overall I think KI did a good job balancing the classes, and it seems like in the realms I play in the classes are all represented quite well.

Personally, on my two accounts I have three privateers and three swashies and two of everybody else. I haven't maxed a Buccie yet (the highest as 58) or a muskie (highest = 63), but only because I was sidetracked before running them up those last few levels (the last update with the new Skull Island quests lured me into playing more baby pirates).

-Indigo
LOL "Swashing their buckles" I love it.

Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
I think this really has to do with how each class is presented. Sure Musketeers are powerful, and Privateers dominated to the point where they had to be nerfed, but in the opening sequence, players may find hoodoo more appealing than smuggling. The idea of a healer may not be too exciting compared to a heavy damager or spell caster.

If you are struggling with a fight, you will hire a swashbuckler henchman to finish off enemies, not a musketeer. Early heal spells like Bonnie Anne's are weak, and are often a waste of a turn, which gives players a bad opinion of healing in general. Traps are not used by Musketeer enemies, because players would be smart enough to avoid them. In truth, traps are a lot of what makes Musketeer such a fun type to play. Privateer enemies are often portrayed as substitute Buccaneers/Witchdoctors inserted in to battles for enemy type variety.

You get the point. KI should try to make Musketeer/Privateer more appealing to play. For instance, more flashy move animations. That would decrease the amount of players that overlook these types completely.

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 40
(Talon Fisher, Level 11 )