Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Musketeers too overpowered?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 08, 2013
This is just insane, and it's been a big issue for a long time.
Musketeer mortar shells last ten entire rounds. This leaves witchdoctors, swashbucklers, buccaneers, and privateers at a huge disadvantage, especially with their newly acquired ability snipershot (along with Chantal Livingstone), is it really necessary to have them for 10 whole rounds? Musketeers can just be taking cheap shots at you the whole time and you can't even get past their bombs without getting interrupted by tempest of torpedoes. I propose the idea of nerfing the time limit on those traps, it's simply unfair and insanity. Let's look at the pros and cons of lowering the rounds mortar shells take or, my argument.
Pros -
  • It would be a lot more balanced if other classes had an equal opportunity to counter musketeers rather than just sit helplessly and take cheapshots at the player.
  • Zeena's fire trap is very similar to mortar shells, why not make it even?
  • Tempest of Torpedoes alone tears up the opposition and lasts for 10 whole rounds, it's just too overpowered right now and lasts the same as the weaker mortar shells.
  • No one wants to wait out traps for 10 rounds just to charge, they'd be dead by then.
  • Strong buffs got nerfed by lowering their rounds, it only seems fair that the same happen for musketeer traps.
  • Musketeers can have a total of 8 mortar shells (including companion mortar shells), this is obviously being abused way too much for opposing teams to take.
  • You'll be dead going through all those bombs before even reaching the opposing musketeer team.
  • The brawlin' hall/spar chamber gets bombarded with bombs making it impossible to walk outside of battle, lowering the mortar shell rounds can make this issue less irritating.
Now lets look at the cons (or opposition from a musketeer point of view)
  • That is their only line of defense (for 10 rounds, seriously?)
  • It's easier to win battles by hiding behind a field of mortar shells.

Musketeers have 17 different attacks and on top of that they bombard us with those bombs that can last an eternity in battle. It is insanity, and it's been taken too far especially since they can now have a limit of up to 6 mortar shells (excluding the 2 crab companions they can acquire in the game). No one has been complaining about this issue because they know the advantages of abusing it, I just think it was time I spoke for all of the 4 other classes and broke the silence on this issue. The privateers got weakened from abusing their everlasting buffs, why shouldn't the musketeers face similar consequences?

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Well sir, I am a musketeer so I will give you an idea about why our bombs last that long.

1. Musketeers are made for long range combat, and they have NO close range capabilities. The bombs hold off the enemy so that way the musketeer player can deploy his defenses and companions.

2. Musketeers can learn only THREE mortar moves, while the other 3, I presume, come from boss drop gear. If YOU want a mortar move, go farm Buck Bronco, he drops his hat which gives Rain of Mortarshells. I have it, but I don't use it.

3. The only time musketeers are truly OP is when FOUR of them team up, and all of them and their companions use buffs. Believe me, Friar Sand was a weeping wreck when me and 3 other Musketeers finished with him lol.

4. Unlike Privateers, Musketeers can only heal ONCE if they get Rouse from Commodore, and one minor team heal from Commodore. However, I went farming, and now I can use 3 Revives and 1 Rouse, and the team healing move. The bombs keep the enemies away so that way the player Musketeer doesn't take as much damage.

5. Finally, Musketeers get some pretty powerful companions, like Ridolfo Capoferro and Tyson. It's a good class to try.

Hope this helps!

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
swashbuckler347 on Jun 12, 2014 wrote:
Musketeer mortar shells last ten entire rounds. This leaves witchdoctors, swashbucklers, buccaneers, and privateers at a huge disadvantage, especially with their newly acquired ability snipershot (along with Chantal Livingstone), is it really necessary to have them for 10 whole rounds? Musketeers can just be taking cheap shots at you the whole time and you can't even get past their bombs without getting interrupted by tempest of torpedoes. I propose the idea of nerfing the time limit on those traps, it's simply unfair and insanity. Let's look at the pros and cons of lowering the rounds mortar shells take or, my argument.
Pros -
  • It would be a lot more balanced if other classes had an equal opportunity to counter musketeers rather than just sit helplessly and take cheapshots at the player.
  • Tempest of Torpedoes alone tears up the opposition and lasts for 10 whole rounds, it's just too overpowered right now and lasts the same as the weaker mortar shells.
  • No one wants to wait out traps for 10 rounds just to charge, they'd be dead by then.
  • Strong buffs got nerfed by lowering their rounds, it only seems fair that the same happen for musketeer traps.
  • Musketeers can have a total of 8 mortar shells (including companion mortar shells), this is obviously being abused way too much for opposing teams to take.
  • You'll be dead going through all those bombs before even reaching the opposing musketeer team.
  • The brawlin' hall/spar chamber gets bombarded with bombs making it impossible to walk outside of battle, lowering the mortar shell rounds can make this issue less irritating.

Musketeers have 17 different attacks and on top of that they bombard us with those bombs that can last an eternity in battle. It is insanity, and it's been taken too far especially since they can now have a limit of up to 6 mortar shells (excluding the 2 crab companions they can acquire in the game). No one has been complaining about this issue because they know the advantages of abusing it, I just think it was time I spoke for all of the 4 other classes and broke the silence on this issue. The privateers got weakened from abusing their everlasting buffs, why shouldn't the musketeers face similar consequences?
Just to tell ya before any hopes go up.

Ratbeard doesn't really plan on making any huge changes on powers just because of PVP until Ranked PVP comes into play. I'm sorry, but you'll have to think of a different strategy to approach Musketeers. Nobody is unbeatable, it just takes more time to defeat some people than it will for others.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Pros -

I slightly agree and disagree with what you're saying.
Chantal livingstone took the musketeer class to a whole new level. Out of all the new companions, i'd say she's the most overpowering. I don't care if anyone disagrees with me, that's my opinion and it will stay that way. 2 sniper shots, which can deal easily 1,000 damage at infinite range make it almost impossible to approach especially with witchdoctor/swashbuckler companions. Then people wonder why nobody uses them, it's because they're too vulnerable to companions like this. As well as a super hit power from 5 range, she's pretty beastly. Then she's got a good cloud spirit buff, which makes her slightly overpowered. The epics add to this, she can train burst fire, quick draw, overwatch and double tap, which are perfect combinations.
Also, muskets do have a heavy advantage. With the crown weapon, they have another bomb power, and if they have Bucks brim, they'll have 5 base bombs. Bring louis and that's 6, which can easily shut a team down for some turns. The only way to beat them before they stack bombs is to rush. And when you do rush, Chantal will just sniper shot you or your companions. This leaves you in a stalemate. Do i wait for the musketeer to approach me and set up bombs, or do i rush and get killed with overwatches, sniper shots and AoE's.
However, there are a lot of ways to beat them.
As a witchdoctor, i find killing the musketeer or a deadly musketeer companion first to be a good idea. I pick the serpent augur, so i can double mournsong and do a lot of damage. Then, if they're brave enough not to hide behind a pole, soul reaver, then a ghostwail will take them out. The great thing about facing companions, when they die, they die, and cannot be revived.
As a privateer, i'll just keep healing my companions and ignore their sniper shots and bombs. I can rush easily and buff up my defenses so we take less damage. And i can shield my companions with fortress, shield and armor. Then my gear with assassin's strikes and vicious charge can deal heavy damage to the musketeers. (A tip for all classes, bring hawkules or goronado if you have him. They use strength, and have relentless, so they can do a TON of damage to musketeers).
As a swash, i'll just hide all my companions, rush before he can bomb us and seperate them so they can only be bombed and one companion will be unhidden. Then, my poison and assassin's do the job.
As a buccaneer, i'll use the increased movement, shield myself then vicious charge over again, to kill the companions' accuracy. Then, reckless frenzy could a ton of musketeers. P.S, Bring peter quint, barnabus and goronado if you have them. The quadruple vicious charge hurts a LOT.
Good luck in PvP in the future!
Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 58

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
you can look at this another way, if you chose too.
in my opinion, with the privateer buff issue out of the way, none of the classes are overpowered.
keep in mind, musketeers have ridiculously low armor. get a buck, priv, or swash close enough, and they are dead meat. yeah, the mortars are effective, but perhaps a strategy along the lines of not straight up suicide rushing is a good idea? i mean really, just go around. now that the absurd 10 turn privateer buff is gone, pvp is way better.

with that in mind, ratbeard has made it clear that the only reason privateers got nerfed was not related to pvp,
and that he will balance pvp when it becomes ranked. at the moment it is just there for the lolz, essentially a prototype.

just my opinion. dont take life too seriously!

Matthew Walker-65
Sly Sloan Silver-65
Matthew Walker-43

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Pros -

Musketeers are anything but overpowered. One mistake and a Musketeer is a goner. I have lots more room for error with my Swashbuckler and Witchdoctor than with my Musketeer. Trends come and go. A certain class will dominate until someone figures out how to beat them. The way around that is to have a pirate from each class. Then you're good to go regardless of what's trending. Besides, Privateers are still quite formidable. Just gotta get used to the new buff durations, that's all. This has been a public service message brought to you by The No More Nerfs Foundation.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Spiral Cowboy on Jun 21, 2014 wrote:
Musketeers are anything but overpowered. One mistake and a Musketeer is a goner. I have lots more room for error with my Swashbuckler and Witchdoctor than with my Musketeer. Trends come and go. A certain class will dominate until someone figures out how to beat them. The way around that is to have a pirate from each class. Then you're good to go regardless of what's trending. Besides, Privateers are still quite formidable. Just gotta get used to the new buff durations, that's all. This has been a public service message brought to you by The No More Nerfs Foundation.
Muskets are actually overpowered to any class but bucaneers. Buccaneers, i feel, have been buffed a bit too much. Even as a swashbuckler, they easily reduce my accuracy and my companions' with the "Goro, Peter and Barnabus" combo. 4 vicious charges (not to mention they get some from gear) is a lot to handle, and muskets and witchdoctors are very vulnerable to these buccaneers. I've been knocked from green to red in one turn from one vicious charge and relentless combo on my witchdoctor, it feels extremely unfair.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Spiral Cowboy on Jun 21, 2014 wrote:
im sorry but you rustled my jimmies there, privateers are not formidable, remember cunning Justin silver, you know, most tournament wins, best 1v1 player, yea well um, he's a privateer and just the other day I saw him lose to an ungeared witch, you cant explain that

Ensign
Sep 01, 2013
warriorscreed on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
Well sir, I am a musketeer so I will give you an idea about why our bombs last that long.

1. Musketeers are made for long range combat, and they have NO close range capabilities. The bombs hold off the enemy so that way the musketeer player can deploy his defenses and companions.

2. Musketeers can learn only THREE mortar moves, while the other 3, I presume, come from boss drop gear. If YOU want a mortar move, go farm Buck Bronco, he drops his hat which gives Rain of Mortarshells. I have it, but I don't use it.

3. The only time musketeers are truly OP is when FOUR of them team up, and all of them and their companions use buffs. Believe me, Friar Sand was a weeping wreck when me and 3 other Musketeers finished with him lol.

4. Unlike Privateers, Musketeers can only heal ONCE if they get Rouse from Commodore, and one minor team heal from Commodore. However, I went farming, and now I can use 3 Revives and 1 Rouse, and the team healing move. The bombs keep the enemies away so that way the player Musketeer doesn't take as much damage.

5. Finally, Musketeers get some pretty powerful companions, like Ridolfo Capoferro and Tyson. It's a good class to try.

Hope this helps!
yeah i agree because some musketeers are not close range.But i'm a musketeer and i have close range attacks from my gear that has assassins strike and brutal strike and if you need some farming advice just find me in the morphing tent my characters name is shy hazel iornside

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
nextworld on Jul 8, 2014 wrote:
yeah i agree because some musketeers are not close range.But i'm a musketeer and i have close range attacks from my gear that has assassins strike and brutal strike and if you need some farming advice just find me in the morphing tent my characters name is shy hazel iornside
Welcome to the message boards Hazel. Being a versatile and helpful pirate sure makes a difference and your willingness to help and also being an assumed member of Pet Morphers Anonymous shows that you fit right in with the Message Board Marauders.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Pros -

Geez. First it was the Privateers who were overpowered. Now it's the Musketeers? I am a Swashbuckler and I fear no single class in pvp more than another. Each one must be approached differently. Think outside the box and learn from each encounter. If you lost to a Musketeer because they could get to you, but you couldn't get to them...what's that tell us boys and girls? You need ranged attacks. They're out there for all classes. There are companions available to all classes that have ranged attacks also. Go get the sun glasses from Sato. Musketeers (and Witchdoctors) hate it when a Swashbuckler 'pops' up right next to them. I get some good comments every time I do it and the looks on their faces? Priceless. Remember, my young padawan, in pvp it is important to know thy enemy, but even more important to...know thyself. I would tell you more, but I can't give it all away now can I? Fair sailing friend!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Countering musketeer mortar shells, traps and barriers would be simple IF I as a swashbuckler could leap over them. I mean look at my Talents, I have Jumpy this helps me to get over obstacles in battle, I can even jump from ship to ship! Yet, suddenly in the Brawlin' Hall my boots are nailed to the floor?! Come on!
Chantal should not have two snipershots and a unrealistic range, twice the length of a football field and beyond! One snipershot and reduce her range, I say.
I also have a max level Musketeer and fighting PvP, is ridiculously easy for her

Petty Officer
Feb 05, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 11, 2014 wrote:
Countering musketeer mortar shells, traps and barriers would be simple IF I as a swashbuckler could leap over them. I mean look at my Talents, I have Jumpy this helps me to get over obstacles in battle, I can even jump from ship to ship! Yet, suddenly in the Brawlin' Hall my boots are nailed to the floor?! Come on!
Chantal should not have two snipershots and a unrealistic range, twice the length of a football field and beyond! One snipershot and reduce her range, I say.
I also have a max level Musketeer and fighting PvP, is ridiculously easy for her
Its called A SNIPER SHOT for a reason. She should have unlimited range yo. Thats kind of the point of sniping the enemy

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
Pros -

They definitely have an advantage against Swashbucklers

Ensign
Nov 03, 2012
Well, swashbucklers have a HUGE advantage against musketeers. And, what's the definition of musketeer?

Google definition: a soldier armed with a musket

Well, a musket is a long range weapon. So really, there's nothing that they can do about it besides remove that class which there is a 1% chance they will. Unless long range shots isn't your problem, but it seems like it is. If it isn't what is it? Because there's no point of being a musketeer if they don't have guns and stuff. Btw some musketeers can only shoot from 3 spots away and some from 8.

Also, musketeers don't get to good of companions besides, well... um... yea... can't think of any fantastic ones I have unless you count El Toro which everyone has.

And, it's because wise choices these musketeers make. Sometimes they'll do something stupid. Like a max musketeer uses his/her best power against a level 18 skeleton warrior and the rest of the enemies are level 63 (I'v seen this before)

So, I guess what I'm saying is that it matters of the pirate that's the musketeer. Not the class itself.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
At first I was happy the focus was off us Privateers but then I was like oh no not again. Come on guys you don't realize how these types of arguments take their toll on regular players. Not everybody does pvp. Your fighting caused a nerfing of Privateer abilities and a shift in power to other classes so you guys could win your pvp battles. What about those who don't participate in those? Unfortunately KI has been swayed by a small group of people who cry op. If this continues there won't be any abilities that make any class unique. Is that what you want?

Virtuous Dante Ramsey