Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Ratbeard help me dispel farming myths

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
If you can't answer this question, then I understand because I know you all don't like to give away secrets regarding loot drops but hopefully you can.

I always hear little myths about how to manipulate the game to drop the things you want such as, "Farm on realm 'Vadima' and you get more drops." Or "Farm with a privateer and you will get more drops because drop rates increase for privateers." This list goes on and on.

I personally, think that this is just peoples way of trying to assign a pattern to pure randomness but if you could confirm that in fact, there is no way to manipulate drop rates and its all random no matter the realm, class of pirate, etc, etc, then that would be much appreciated.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Sp4zRX on Jun 22, 2013 wrote:
If you can't answer this question, then I understand because I know you all don't like to give away secrets regarding loot drops but hopefully you can.

I always hear little myths about how to manipulate the game to drop the things you want such as, "Farm on realm 'Vadima' and you get more drops." Or "Farm with a privateer and you will get more drops because drop rates increase for privateers." This list goes on and on.

I personally, think that this is just peoples way of trying to assign a pattern to pure randomness but if you could confirm that in fact, there is no way to manipulate drop rates and its all random no matter the realm, class of pirate, etc, etc, then that would be much appreciated.
Lol sounds like those friends reside deep in urban legend land.

Developer
Purely random.

Of course in good conscience I must confess that there is no such thing as "purely" random where computers are concerned-- computers typically generate a pseudorandom number, which is nevertheless random by any observable human standard.

And if you want to get really metaphysical about it, I suppose you could argue that, at the subatomic level, the entire universe follows a prescribed set of rules and there's no such thing as "random" at all.

In fact thanks to the Butterfly Effect, it may be possible to affect the loot roll by rubbing your tummy and patting your head before opening any chest, despite that chest being nothing more than a virtual object composed of 1's and 0's and hosted on a server in a temperature-controlled environment in an undisclosed location probably, but not necessarily, a thousand miles away, somewhere in the continental United States.

Because I don't want to give away too much when it comes to loot rolls, you will have to experiment with both the rate and direction (clockwise, counter-clockwise, and/or contrariwise) of the head patting and tummy rubbing.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Thanks Ratbeard I Really needed that giggle. Delightful sense of humor.

Ensign
May 12, 2010
Ratbeard on Jun 24, 2013 wrote:
Purely random.

Of course in good conscience I must confess that there is no such thing as "purely" random where computers are concerned-- computers typically generate a pseudorandom number, which is nevertheless random by any observable human standard.

And if you want to get really metaphysical about it, I suppose you could argue that, at the subatomic level, the entire universe follows a prescribed set of rules and there's no such thing as "random" at all.

In fact thanks to the Butterfly Effect, it may be possible to affect the loot roll by rubbing your tummy and patting your head before opening any chest, despite that chest being nothing more than a virtual object composed of 1's and 0's and hosted on a server in a temperature-controlled environment in an undisclosed location probably, but not necessarily, a thousand miles away, somewhere in the continental United States.

Because I don't want to give away too much when it comes to loot rolls, you will have to experiment with both the rate and direction (clockwise, counter-clockwise, and/or contrariwise) of the head patting and tummy rubbing.
Wait what?!

Petty Officer
Oct 04, 2012
Purely random.

On a sub-atomic level the uncertainty principal would operate, surely? About as random as it gets.

Administrator
CleverDanteBlake on Jun 24, 2013 wrote:
Wait what?!
Do forgive Ratbeard. He's just making a little joke. There are no ways to improve your chances at receiving a drop from a loot table. As he stated in his first sentence, these chances are "Purely random." However, I do believe I shall now start rubbing my tummy whenever I really want a drop.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
Community Leader
One-Eyed Jack on Jun 24, 2013 wrote:
Do forgive Ratbeard. He's just making a little joke. There are no ways to improve your chances at receiving a drop from a loot table. As he stated in his first sentence, these chances are "Purely random." However, I do believe I shall now start rubbing my tummy whenever I really want a drop.
I would rub my tummy too, but I think the head patting may be more effective :P

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
Purely random.

Sub-atomic wha?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
x Snickers x I am the consummate multi tasker. It's head patting and tummy rubbing for me. Except for the uber rare stuff that I have all that I need but one, then its Tummy patting and head rubbing.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Chinspinner on Jun 24, 2013 wrote:
On a sub-atomic level the uncertainty principal would operate, surely? About as random as it gets.
Certainly the uncertainty principal would work...................
x head starts to hurt x x Wipes eyes from laughing x

Petty Officer
Oct 04, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jun 25, 2013 wrote:
Certainly the uncertainty principal would work...................
x head starts to hurt x x Wipes eyes from laughing x
I'm just glad that a century of experimentation in quantum mechanics can tell us that a privateer will loot not more than a witch doctor.

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Purely random.

Am I the only one who understood every word he said?

Thanks for the laugh Ratbeard- I needed it!

Ciao!

Gunner's Mate
Apr 09, 2011
CleverDanteBlake on Jun 24, 2013 wrote:
Wait what?!
i fell ya

Admiral
May 30, 2010
And I note he doesn't say anything about which hand goes on tummy and which on head.

Hmmm... Is Ratbeard left-handed or right-handed?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Jul 1, 2013 wrote:
And I note he doesn't say anything about which hand goes on tummy and which on head.

Hmmm... Is Ratbeard left-handed or right-handed?
Well that hook on his left hand may factor greatly. Hmmm the magnetic effects of the metal in his hook could exacerbate the butterfly effect greatly or static electricity.