Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

buying/using companions

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Aug 04, 2011
I bought a compantion from the crown shop while in battle. But it didnt show up DURING the battle. Are they NOT like henchmen in Wiz 101?

Community Leader
No. The companions in this game are summoned from your list of companions at the beginning of battle. I never used a henchman in Wiz 101 so I don't know how they worked, but in Pirates, they are permanent additions, your permanent "crew". So the companion you bought should show up in the next few battles!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Petty Officer
Nov 28, 2008
The companion you purchased in in your "stable" of companions to be pulled from in battle. They each have a percent chance to be selected depending on how YOU rank them. Go into your companion screen and it will show you all the percent chances. Move the ones you want more often to the front of the list. Your First Mate will appear every time. There is still some randomness for the rest but it is weighted toward the ones in the front.

The companion tab is the one that has a horse symbol on the side tabs.

Ensign
Dec 10, 2011
If I am not mistaken, the companions are more crew members. All crew members are referred to as companions. So they have a chance to appear in battle based on how you setup your crew.

Ensign
Mar 23, 2009
If you were in battle at the time you bought them. Then they will not appear in that fight. They are not like Henchmen. They become part of your crew for life.

Petty Officer
Oct 13, 2012
Trishn5grands on Oct 18, 2012 wrote:
I bought a compantion from the crown shop while in battle. But it didnt show up DURING the battle. Are they NOT like henchmen in Wiz 101?
they are definetly not like hench men they follow you around and help you in battle and they are garunteed to help you if they are your firstmate

Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2009
No they aren't. Companions are permanent and you must place them in your firstmate slot to ensure they always appear in battle. The further from firstmate your companion is, the least amount of chance your companion has of showing up in battle.

Ensign
Jan 05, 2009
Usually one to three of your companions will show up. If you look at the companion page, it actually has % chance listed for each to appear. The number of companions is usually two less than the number of enemies (so your party is one less combatant than the foes) in single player combat...usually.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
A Companion is a crew member which means they will have a random chance (percentage numbers below their icon in the Companion Management Interface) of appearing in battle except for your Firstmate who will appear in every battle unless that character was defeated (health to 0). You have to adjust the order of your companions to determine who has the better or worse chances of appearing in a battle (which means if you are in a battle and get a Companion through the Crown Store, that Companion cannot appear in it). Also, from what I've seen, any of the first page of Companions can appear during any battle (it's random) except for the epic battles where you get to choose which Companions appear.

Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
No, they are not like the henchmen you get in W101. They will become your companions like the other companions you acquire in the game. You can level them up and they will take a spot in your companion section.