Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Should I learn repel boarders?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
While my privy is still low lvl and I haven't had a chance to mess him up, I wanted to know if it was worth it to get Repel Boarders, it has a lot of disadvantages but could come in handy.

Advantages:
1. With a grant repel boarders pet, I could learn RP (Repel Boarders) 3 which reduces accuracy
2. It can lead to chains if I get grants relentless and grants blade storm.

Disadvantages:
1. It can lead to vengeance strike and riposte which could also lead to relentless and blade storm combos for the enemy.
2. It can take me out of hidden.

I want to know what you guys think.

P.S., planning on being a melee privy.

Lvl 70
Lvl 46
Lvl 16

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Adam Wintersinger on Jun 24, 2016 wrote:
While my privy is still low lvl and I haven't had a chance to mess him up, I wanted to know if it was worth it to get Repel Boarders, it has a lot of disadvantages but could come in handy.

Advantages:
1. With a grant repel boarders pet, I could learn RP (Repel Boarders) 3 which reduces accuracy
2. It can lead to chains if I get grants relentless and grants blade storm.

Disadvantages:
1. It can lead to vengeance strike and riposte which could also lead to relentless and blade storm combos for the enemy.
2. It can take me out of hidden.

I want to know what you guys think.

P.S., planning on being a melee privy.

Lvl 70
Lvl 46
Lvl 16
You will get Repel Boarders automatically ( I forget at what level ).

Petty Officer
Nov 22, 2010
Hey Adam! As much as it would be awesome if you could not learn repel boarders, you unfortunately don't have a choice, as repel boarders 2 is a requirement for blast of discord. It is also this way for musketeers, as we have to train quick draw to get knock backs. So, yes, I would say train repel boarders 1 and 2.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
If I could unlearn mine, I would. Honestly it's been more of a curse than a boon, mostly because it cancels hide.

Sure you probably dont need hide much during the storyline, except maybe when you enter a new world, but in pvp or late game content such as Valencia 2, you'd be glad to be safe for a few turns to be able to buff and/or heal.

Ensign
Jul 26, 2013
You have to learn it or you cant get the next few skills if I am correct (its been awhile). It is worth having if you train riposte from the secret trainers and if you can get vengeance strike from a pet. Also its the only attack skill we get and it isn't useless if you max yourself and get the manticore sting and gain RB3. If you really are planning on melee good luck because you cant get very powerful (if you are set on it then train smashy weapons 2, big choppy, and use slashy/smashy weapons). We just aren't built for that unlike swashbucklers and buccaneers who have many attack talents and powers.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
For pirate class, learning the repel boarders epic I would say in my opinion go for it.This talent is great for a support character class. It also good, for a surprise attack. I can't say much since as a , my character is some what a low to mid leveled pirate and beginning to understand how this class work.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
GoldenNorth on Jun 24, 2016 wrote:
You have to learn it or you cant get the next few skills if I am correct (its been awhile). It is worth having if you train riposte from the secret trainers and if you can get vengeance strike from a pet. Also its the only attack skill we get and it isn't useless if you max yourself and get the manticore sting and gain RB3. If you really are planning on melee good luck because you cant get very powerful (if you are set on it then train smashy weapons 2, big choppy, and use slashy/smashy weapons). We just aren't built for that unlike swashbucklers and buccaneers who have many attack talents and powers.

You cant learn riposte from secret trainers...

And a privateer can still get decent as melee, sure that requires more work than bucaneer or swash, but for example mine has relentless 2, bladestorm, assassin strikes, backstabs and super strikes. With staff of power that has, if I remember right, 235 weapon power.

That's not too shabby if you ask me, and I'm sure I could get even more powers and epics.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
Oh, you need repel boarders to learn tower of iron will and tower of iron will to learn fighting fervor and fighting fervor to learn focus fire and focus fire to learn the repel boarders thing and that thing to learn Blast Of Discord.

Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014
anecorbie on Jun 24, 2016 wrote:
You will get Repel Boarders automatically ( I forget at what level ).
I think it is 52

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
Unfair Angel on Jul 7, 2016 wrote:
I think it is 52
Just learned it today actually xD

Lvl 70
Lvl 56