Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Trading

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Apr 06, 2016
Something I have always thought of.How come we can't trade gear in pirate101? I mean real pirates use to trade all the time! And also wouldn't it be cool if you can trade gear? Example:Blood's jacket for Moo manchu's robe.
This is just and example.

Anyways wouldn't that be a great idea for an update?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DariusMusk on Jun 21, 2016 wrote:
Something I have always thought of.How come we can't trade gear in pirate101? I mean real pirates use to trade all the time! And also wouldn't it be cool if you can trade gear? Example:Blood's jacket for Moo manchu's robe.
This is just and example.

Anyways wouldn't that be a great idea for an update?
I played an MMO once that allowed complete trading of anything; gear, gold whatever. The scammers and cheaters were also abundant in this game; there wasn't an hour that went by when I didn't hear a player complain that "so and so took my ___ and ran off" or "someone has taken all my gold". I hope that KI won't open this can of worms by allowing gear trading!

Lieutenant
Apr 06, 2016
anecorbie on Jun 21, 2016 wrote:
I played an MMO once that allowed complete trading of anything; gear, gold whatever. The scammers and cheaters were also abundant in this game; there wasn't an hour that went by when I didn't hear a player complain that "so and so took my ___ and ran off" or "someone has taken all my gold". I hope that KI won't open this can of worms by allowing gear trading!
I am saying as in like how you trade doubloons.There wont be a way to steal people's gold.and The trade only happens if both people agree.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I am saying as in like how you trade doubloons.There wont be a way to steal people's gold.and The trade only happens if both people agree.
The game I'm speaking of had the same kind of "fail-safe" of agreeing, yet scammers found a way around that.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
Just curious, but how would people be capable of stealing gear and/or gold if the gear/gold trading system works like the doubloon trading system? Both players have to agree to the trade. Even if one player has already agreed, it makes them hit the "Agree" button again if the other player makes changes to his side of the deal. The only way someone could scam is if the "scammee" was careless and clicked the "Agree" button immediately after the "would-be-scammer" changed his side of the deal. I don't play any other MMO games, so Idk how other trading systems work, but I can't imagine how someone could fool the trading system KI has setup for Doubloons in P101 and Treasure Cards in W101.

Ensign
Nov 09, 2012
Hmm, I think I know which MMO you're talking about... You mentioned it in another post. I played it too, and there were lots of scammers. If trading was allowed in Pirate101, the same thing might happen. Players may start scamming, and Pirate might have to SHUT DOWN. So, this could be a great risk for Kingsisle. Like you, I also do not agree with this idea.

However, the closest thing we have to "trading" is auctioning things in the Bazaar. Some valuable gear cannot be auctioned, which is far less risky (Actually, not risky at all) than just giving them away. Only things that are common, and easily dropped can be auctioned. Safe.

Sorry if this was exaggerated, or something.

Faithful Caitlin Strong lvl 69

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
There's no such thing as "there won't be a way to steal people's gold". Whenever humans are involved, one of them will eventually find a way to bilk others out of their property.
But there's a way to do what you want to do anyway...
Theoretically, if the Bazaar works the same in P101 as it did in W101, work out a time and place for both parties to be in the Bazaar. Party #1 has the item that you, Party #2, wants. Party #1 sells the item - it shows up in the Bazaar item list - Party #2 purchases it.
It's not foolproof but it's a way to accomplish the same thing without an unnecessary re-write of the game.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
The game I'm speaking of had the same kind of "fail-safe" of agreeing, yet scammers found a way around that.
Agreed

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ShadowStrikerV2 on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
Just curious, but how would people be capable of stealing gear and/or gold if the gear/gold trading system works like the doubloon trading system? Both players have to agree to the trade. Even if one player has already agreed, it makes them hit the "Agree" button again if the other player makes changes to his side of the deal. The only way someone could scam is if the "scammee" was careless and clicked the "Agree" button immediately after the "would-be-scammer" changed his side of the deal. I don't play any other MMO games, so Idk how other trading systems work, but I can't imagine how someone could fool the trading system KI has setup for Doubloons in P101 and Treasure Cards in W101.
In that trading system, you could keep adding stuff to the list to be traded, but what many didn't know was that the new stuff added to the trade would "bump" out the first few items.
Someone tried to do this to me, but I first reviewed the list then realized that the item I wanted and was trading a valuable item for ( I had an extra so didn't mind trading ) was no longer on the list.
Even "friends" on your list could try to scam so you really couldn't trust anyone, unless you knew them IRL and even then I knew a few who succumbed to temptation and scammed a real friend.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
anecorbie on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
In that trading system, you could keep adding stuff to the list to be traded, but what many didn't know was that the new stuff added to the trade would "bump" out the first few items.
Someone tried to do this to me, but I first reviewed the list then realized that the item I wanted and was trading a valuable item for ( I had an extra so didn't mind trading ) was no longer on the list.
Even "friends" on your list could try to scam so you really couldn't trust anyone, unless you knew them IRL and even then I knew a few who succumbed to temptation and scammed a real friend.
Really? Last time I used the trading system (in W101) It wouldn't let me add more than 4 different cards at once. I had to deselect them in order to add a different card. I think a gear trading system would be kind of cool, but I'm not gonna push for it. I'm just really curious as to how the scamming could happen. I can't think of a practical way to scam anyone with the trading system KI has set up (which is a VERY good thing).

Lieutenant
Apr 06, 2016
anecorbie on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
Lets all be honest.Scammers will Always find A way.I played one of the 'safest' MMO games and of course Scammers once again found a way.My only question to you is:How come no one ever lost Doubloons?I mean you can trade doubloons am I right? Well you don't see anyone complaining about people stealing their doubloons.Don't get me wrong I see where your going with this.I'm just saying I have always wanted a way to trade gear.

Orlando

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
ShadowStrikerV2 on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
Really? Last time I used the trading system (in W101) It wouldn't let me add more than 4 different cards at once. I had to deselect them in order to add a different card. I think a gear trading system would be kind of cool, but I'm not gonna push for it. I'm just really curious as to how the scamming could happen. I can't think of a practical way to scam anyone with the trading system KI has set up (which is a VERY good thing).
You wouldn't think it would be possible for someone to hack into the Federal Government database either but people still figure out how to do it. And banks, and medical records facilities, and credit card companies, and dating sites... the list is endless. Compared to cracking the encryption in those sites, doing it to a game program would be cake no matter how many firewalls and safeguards are in place. The reason it doesn't happen more frequently is that there's no substantial real world money in it for the hackers.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
TucsonWizard on Jun 23, 2016 wrote:
You wouldn't think it would be possible for someone to hack into the Federal Government database either but people still figure out how to do it. And banks, and medical records facilities, and credit card companies, and dating sites... the list is endless. Compared to cracking the encryption in those sites, doing it to a game program would be cake no matter how many firewalls and safeguards are in place. The reason it doesn't happen more frequently is that there's no substantial real world money in it for the hackers.
That has no bearing whatsoever in this discussion. We're talking about scammers, not hackers. They're not the same thing. Scammers either abuse the system or find a way to get around it (without hacking). I can't think of any way to do either.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
ShadowStrikerV2 on Jun 24, 2016 wrote:
That has no bearing whatsoever in this discussion. We're talking about scammers, not hackers. They're not the same thing. Scammers either abuse the system or find a way to get around it (without hacking). I can't think of any way to do either.
Whoa, settle down there lil' pirate, I'm not attacking you, I'm only commenting on what you said about not finding a way to do it.
It absolutely has a bearing on this conversation. The principals are the same no matter what semantic label you call it. Hacker - scammer - thief - troublemaker - blackguard - ne'er-do-well ... in this context they're all about the same thing which is causing chaos. Some will go to extreme lengths to get something for nothing... even to the point of expending more effort in the attempt than what it would take to do it through legitimate channels. Some will do it only because they can. Some will do it only because they get a thrill from causing other people to suffer. Whatever name you put on them they'll find ways around the system it will eventually happen.

Captain
May 16, 2011
DariusMusk on Jun 23, 2016 wrote:
Lets all be honest.Scammers will Always find A way.I played one of the 'safest' MMO games and of course Scammers once again found a way.My only question to you is:How come no one ever lost Doubloons?I mean you can trade doubloons am I right? Well you don't see anyone complaining about people stealing their doubloons.Don't get me wrong I see where your going with this.I'm just saying I have always wanted a way to trade gear.

Orlando
Simply because Doubloons aren't that valuable compared to items that are generally farmed for. They can be useful, but not necessary. Of course, scammers usually find a way. If not, they just sit around and complain, until someone, perhaps even the company gives them what they want, even if they didn't have it before. And sometimes, this works.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
This just plain wrong for such player to hack in a gaming system, to steal other players hard earned loot. That's why gear trading, and other stuff with other players in both 101 games is disabled. Only in this case doubloons can be traded.

Lieutenant
Apr 06, 2016
Alright I get it,Its a bad idea lets end this topic shall we?

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
TucsonWizard on Jun 24, 2016 wrote:
Whoa, settle down there lil' pirate, I'm not attacking you, I'm only commenting on what you said about not finding a way to do it.
It absolutely has a bearing on this conversation. The principals are the same no matter what semantic label you call it. Hacker - scammer - thief - troublemaker - blackguard - ne'er-do-well ... in this context they're all about the same thing which is causing chaos. Some will go to extreme lengths to get something for nothing... even to the point of expending more effort in the attempt than what it would take to do it through legitimate channels. Some will do it only because they can. Some will do it only because they get a thrill from causing other people to suffer. Whatever name you put on them they'll find ways around the system it will eventually happen.
Was I acting defensive? Sorry. I wasn't really defensive, just confused by the sudden shift from scamming to hacking. The reason hacking does not fit into the original discussion is because it wouldn't matter whether or not a trading system was in place; hackers will still hack. Even without a gear-trading system, they'll hack whatever they want, which is usually whole accounts.

If I want (and know how) to hack the game, I'd just give myself whatever I wanted. It truly does not matter whether or not there is a gear-trading system in place.

Now if I want to scam, then that would matter, because if there was no gear-trading system then there'd be no possible ways for scammers to actually scam people. I'm just saying that the current system used for doubloon trading seems to be scam-proof, not hack-proof. Nothing is hack-proof.

Again, sorry for sounding harsh. I really didn't mean anything by it.

Lieutenant
Apr 06, 2016
ShadowStrikerV2 on Jun 26, 2016 wrote:
Was I acting defensive? Sorry. I wasn't really defensive, just confused by the sudden shift from scamming to hacking. The reason hacking does not fit into the original discussion is because it wouldn't matter whether or not a trading system was in place; hackers will still hack. Even without a gear-trading system, they'll hack whatever they want, which is usually whole accounts.

If I want (and know how) to hack the game, I'd just give myself whatever I wanted. It truly does not matter whether or not there is a gear-trading system in place.

Now if I want to scam, then that would matter, because if there was no gear-trading system then there'd be no possible ways for scammers to actually scam people. I'm just saying that the current system used for doubloon trading seems to be scam-proof, not hack-proof. Nothing is hack-proof.

Again, sorry for sounding harsh. I really didn't mean anything by it.
I agree,In wizard there are so many players who threaten people by hacking sometimes threaten me! But I report them,