Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Starting PvP

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Sep 02, 2015
Ahoy there pirates!
I am gonna be starting PvP soon and was wondering what types of things I will need to be aware of. I have the Moo Manchu Robe(Corrupted Shinobi's Gi) and the Ornament of Moo Manchu, and I am going to continue to farm for more gear. I am currently training a new pet, a Phantasm Pogona. Any tips or suggestions as to what I should do to prepare?

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
narnialover1104 on Jan 12, 2016 wrote:
Ahoy there pirates!
I am gonna be starting PvP soon and was wondering what types of things I will need to be aware of. I have the Moo Manchu Robe(Corrupted Shinobi's Gi) and the Ornament of Moo Manchu, and I am going to continue to farm for more gear. I am currently training a new pet, a Phantasm Pogona. Any tips or suggestions as to what I should do to prepare?
Assuming you are swashbuckler based off of your avatar I would reccomend farming Cadmus for his blades straight off the bat use a curse so they can't heal back to full health

Ensign
Sep 07, 2013
Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
You should post what class you're planning to be playing as it all depends on that. We could give you a million tips for each different class but only like 2 may be helpful.

Other then that some staple things you should note is you need to get access to Spooky 2 (Talent trained by the Witchdoctor trainer for 5 TP if you invest ONLY in talents correctly), have rouse+valor's shield (3 Points into Powers only from the Privateer trainer), make sure all your companions you're using are maxed out at lvl 65, set your powers correctly (ppl can give tips if you tell them what class you're using), make sure to have at least 1 Valor's Fortress piece of gear, 1 Heal (If possible) and purchase the Empire Bundle for Nausica if you haven't already! <3

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I really take exception to people promoting a certain companion as a "must have" to win. Nausica is the prime example, I've heard "OP", "unbeatable" and "please nerf her".
Nausica is beatable, she's not "OP" and she's not necessary to win in PVP. I've personally beaten Nausica as a swash or buck, I've even used Ratbeard against her, victoriously.
Do not spend the money on her if you think having her will give you "easy" wins.
She's on par with the class companions we get ( Carcarius is the only exception ) she can be beaten by these companions.
Think seriously about any expenditures of Crowns for Ranked PVP. You don't want to risk being disappointed, "But you said if I had Nausica, I would win."

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
anecorbie on Jan 13, 2016 wrote:
I really take exception to people promoting a certain companion as a "must have" to win. Nausica is the prime example, I've heard "OP", "unbeatable" and "please nerf her".
Nausica is beatable, she's not "OP" and she's not necessary to win in PVP. I've personally beaten Nausica as a swash or buck, I've even used Ratbeard against her, victoriously.
Do not spend the money on her if you think having her will give you "easy" wins.
She's on par with the class companions we get ( Carcarius is the only exception ) she can be beaten by these companions.
Think seriously about any expenditures of Crowns for Ranked PVP. You don't want to risk being disappointed, "But you said if I had Nausica, I would win."
But can you deny having her would give you an exceptional boost if used properly? Also people like to explain that they can 'beat' her using all these other weird companions but the thing is, it doesn't matter if you can defeat a single companion if you use so many resources to do so. This is why I talk about trading in the game making sure in ranked you have a way to guarantee everything trades at minimum 1 for 1 if not more. If you can't guarantee that then you're bringing a companion on a whim that you'll face a certain class, with a certain set up, with a certain companion set. This will lead you to unnecessary losses. No matter what people say, Nausica is exceptionally better then any other companion for ranked and even normal pvp as she can guarantee a 1 for 1 trade with her amount of critical hits and sometimes 2 for 1 or an entire team sweep. She gives you almost a 100% win guarantee vs Muskets if used correctly as well so then you can focus your other gear pieces and companions to cater to the 4 other classes.

She's universally an amazing companion and I would say if you want exceptional results for ranked. Get Nausica and learn to play her at the highest caliber. It does make a difference. If you want to trade 2 Black Fog units to take out 1 Nausica. That's fine if I walk away in a 2v4 as then I have something to work with which is what I force you to use. It's a war of trading resources, that's what any pvp game like this is. I trade my queen to take out 2-3 key pieces. Not bad at all.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
TechnomagePvP on Jan 14, 2016 wrote:
But can you deny having her would give you an exceptional boost if used properly? Also people like to explain that they can 'beat' her using all these other weird companions but the thing is, it doesn't matter if you can defeat a single companion if you use so many resources to do so. This is why I talk about trading in the game making sure in ranked you have a way to guarantee everything trades at minimum 1 for 1 if not more. If you can't guarantee that then you're bringing a companion on a whim that you'll face a certain class, with a certain set up, with a certain companion set. This will lead you to unnecessary losses. No matter what people say, Nausica is exceptionally better then any other companion for ranked and even normal pvp as she can guarantee a 1 for 1 trade with her amount of critical hits and sometimes 2 for 1 or an entire team sweep. She gives you almost a 100% win guarantee vs Muskets if used correctly as well so then you can focus your other gear pieces and companions to cater to the 4 other classes.

She's universally an amazing companion and I would say if you want exceptional results for ranked. Get Nausica and learn to play her at the highest caliber. It does make a difference. If you want to trade 2 Black Fog units to take out 1 Nausica. That's fine if I walk away in a 2v4 as then I have something to work with which is what I force you to use. It's a war of trading resources, that's what any pvp game like this is. I trade my queen to take out 2-3 key pieces. Not bad at all.
It is true that used properly, Nausica can give an advantage, but only slightly. She needs extra protection & buffs.
Peter Quint can take her down easily.
So can Fan Flanders.
A musketeer with Chantal & Louis on their team can trash her before she can approach.
Well, privateers have an excellent selection, but doesn't Emmett have a movement reduction?
A witchdoctor can slow Nausica with Widow's Touch and pound her with Mojo Storm ( hopefully with help from Old Scratch ). And hopefully be still alive to use Mojo Reaver.
These companions I've mentioned are all now "basic" to any class taking part in Ranked PVP. Isn't this true?
You may lose Nausica before she can "trade" pieces.
Even though I do have Nausica ( and use her ) I'm just cautioning a new potential competitor to chose wisely and if they then feel that they need Nausica, then buy her. But I have also PVP-ed without her and done well.
The sole basis for winning with Nausica is to make sure you have done your best to protect her and buff her, but make sure your team is as equally powerful.

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
anecorbie on Jan 14, 2016 wrote:
It is true that used properly, Nausica can give an advantage, but only slightly. She needs extra protection & buffs.
Peter Quint can take her down easily.
So can Fan Flanders.
A musketeer with Chantal & Louis on their team can trash her before she can approach.
Well, privateers have an excellent selection, but doesn't Emmett have a movement reduction?
A witchdoctor can slow Nausica with Widow's Touch and pound her with Mojo Storm ( hopefully with help from Old Scratch ). And hopefully be still alive to use Mojo Reaver.
These companions I've mentioned are all now "basic" to any class taking part in Ranked PVP. Isn't this true?
You may lose Nausica before she can "trade" pieces.
Even though I do have Nausica ( and use her ) I'm just cautioning a new potential competitor to chose wisely and if they then feel that they need Nausica, then buy her. But I have also PVP-ed without her and done well.
The sole basis for winning with Nausica is to make sure you have done your best to protect her and buff her, but make sure your team is as equally powerful.
Sorry I have to disagree with a lot of these, first off we're talking about ranked. So Widow's touch is not going to be something you do early on as a Witch vs Buckler or any class in that matter unless you're a buck. Pete obviously is the only one who can really take Nausica down early as it's a miss match Buck vs Agility = Gg for any musket units that this guy decides to target.

Fan won't chain as they're both agility units so no she wouldn't destroy Nausica, ever, in any situation. Normally as a Buckler you should bring a strength unit just so you can have someone to target Nausica with to get high % of chaining her, hence why Goronado is so popular for Bucklers.

Muskets who are in ranked using Louis.... Come on we all know they struggle already because of Nausica. If you're bringing Louis you lose tempo as he can't chain. You obviously bring Bonnie in that case, actually I take that back the best team for Musket atm in ranked by far is the Chantal, Nausica, Scratch core. Chantal is also a musket so you can still trade your Nausica with her and I can say with strong certainty she can kill a Chantal easily... Sorry, no one can deny the fact in a match up vs Muskets Nausica isn't a free win if used basically... I think we can at least agree here on this fact.

Emmet in ranked is useless as he can't stop her for anything, Privy have no way to stall a nausica. Emmet's reduces use sight unlike Widow's touch so the chance of a player moving there Nausica into sight without already being in your face in ranked pvp is close to no chance at all. And I can 100% say with certainty if you know how to pvp even just a bit, you can always get a 1 for 1 with a Nausica.... That's a fact. Nausica forces people to use resources on her so you can destroy them with the rest of your team or you get a killing machine to trade with.

You don't even need to focus your buffs on Nausica... She's simple, one 100% scratch absorb or a fort and she's good to go. That's why I love her.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
TechnomagePvP on Jan 14, 2016 wrote:
Sorry I have to disagree with a lot of these, first off we're talking about ranked. So Widow's touch is not going to be something you do early on as a Witch vs Buckler or any class in that matter unless you're a buck. Pete obviously is the only one who can really take Nausica down early as it's a miss match Buck vs Agility = Gg for any musket units that this guy decides to target.

Fan won't chain as they're both agility units so no she wouldn't destroy Nausica, ever, in any situation. Normally as a Buckler you should bring a strength unit just so you can have someone to target Nausica with to get high % of chaining her, hence why Goronado is so popular for Bucklers.

Muskets who are in ranked using Louis.... Come on we all know they struggle already because of Nausica. If you're bringing Louis you lose tempo as he can't chain. You obviously bring Bonnie in that case, actually I take that back the best team for Musket atm in ranked by far is the Chantal, Nausica, Scratch core. Chantal is also a musket so you can still trade your Nausica with her and I can say with strong certainty she can kill a Chantal easily... Sorry, no one can deny the fact in a match up vs Muskets Nausica isn't a free win if used basically... I think we can at least agree here on this fact.

Emmet in ranked is useless as he can't stop her for anything, Privy have no way to stall a nausica. Emmet's reduces use sight unlike Widow's touch so the chance of a player moving there Nausica into sight without already being in your face in ranked pvp is close to no chance at all. And I can 100% say with certainty if you know how to pvp even just a bit, you can always get a 1 for 1 with a Nausica.... That's a fact. Nausica forces people to use resources on her so you can destroy them with the rest of your team or you get a killing machine to trade with.

You don't even need to focus your buffs on Nausica... She's simple, one 100% scratch absorb or a fort and she's good to go. That's why I love her.
Thank you for clearing this up for me, I'm always learning more about PVP.
We do agree she's valuable, but for those beginning PVP and don't have the Crowns to invest in a bundle, what do you suggest?

Petty Officer
Sep 02, 2015
Sorry everyone for not posting what class. I am a swashbuckler!

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
anecorbie on Jan 15, 2016 wrote:
Thank you for clearing this up for me, I'm always learning more about PVP.
We do agree she's valuable, but for those beginning PVP and don't have the Crowns to invest in a bundle, what do you suggest?
Luckily they stated there class, it's buckler so they can probably get away early on and trying to camp the avery realm to avoid other bucklers who actually have Nausica I would say Toro, Fan, Sub. Like I said you need at least one Buccaneer to take care of those annoying Musketeers and other Nausica's you may run into which Sub does an amazing job at for sure.

Petty Officer
Sep 02, 2015
So my team should be Toro, Fan and Subodai? Would Ratbeard work also? Any other companion set up suggestions?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
narnialover1104 on Jan 18, 2016 wrote:
So my team should be Toro, Fan and Subodai? Would Ratbeard work also? Any other companion set up suggestions?
Ratbeard is an excellent choice, but be sure to give him First Strike 3 ( to protect from other SBs ) and Hold the Line 2 or 3.

Petty Officer
Sep 02, 2015
Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
anecorbie on Jan 18, 2016 wrote:
Ratbeard is an excellent choice, but be sure to give him First Strike 3 ( to protect from other SBs ) and Hold the Line 2 or 3.
Eh Toro Fan Sub beats any other combination using Rat in it. You don't have a need for Ratbeard in this current meta as a buckler unlike back in the Moo Robe meta where you would need him to hold off as many as possible and being great bait. Just you're a buckler you need companions that not only bring utility and purpose but can spike damage. Ratbeard only does half of that making your Buck slot as a Buckler for sure go to Subodai/Goronado. I actually prefer Subodai in some cases because he has that reduce accuracy AND agility by half. I would put my team order as Toro Sub Fan so this way I can do an insane Combo to guarantee kill any unit, just use your character to kill Scratch or Pete by using your Character and Toro. Then Subodai reduce into Fan's super is an insta kill on any unit fort or not if they're agility for 2 reasons. 1 Subodai hitting a musketeer for example with this makes there agility the same as a Witch's base in most cases if not less, so then Fan already dealing 2k base with a Black Fog super strike will not only get a higher base because of the difference of agility but also combined with the chain spam from Subodai you may have already gotten do to being a Buck hitting a Musket (Very high chain potentials there) but now Fan is hitting onto someone like that with the same crit and chain chance bonus as Subodai would. :)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
TechnomagePvP on Jan 19, 2016 wrote:
Eh Toro Fan Sub beats any other combination using Rat in it. You don't have a need for Ratbeard in this current meta as a buckler unlike back in the Moo Robe meta where you would need him to hold off as many as possible and being great bait. Just you're a buckler you need companions that not only bring utility and purpose but can spike damage. Ratbeard only does half of that making your Buck slot as a Buckler for sure go to Subodai/Goronado. I actually prefer Subodai in some cases because he has that reduce accuracy AND agility by half. I would put my team order as Toro Sub Fan so this way I can do an insane Combo to guarantee kill any unit, just use your character to kill Scratch or Pete by using your Character and Toro. Then Subodai reduce into Fan's super is an insta kill on any unit fort or not if they're agility for 2 reasons. 1 Subodai hitting a musketeer for example with this makes there agility the same as a Witch's base in most cases if not less, so then Fan already dealing 2k base with a Black Fog super strike will not only get a higher base because of the difference of agility but also combined with the chain spam from Subodai you may have already gotten do to being a Buck hitting a Musket (Very high chain potentials there) but now Fan is hitting onto someone like that with the same crit and chain chance bonus as Subodai would. :)
Both are excellent companions and before I used Nausica, I was using Ratbeard ( mostly as a counter to the terror-cotta before the change. )

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
anecorbie on Jan 13, 2016 wrote:
Off topic but I love how you just defamed carcarius

XD

My day is made

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
AndrewDeathblade11... on Jan 20, 2016 wrote:
Off topic but I love how you just defamed carcarius

XD

My day is made
He needs dispel instead of purge magic then he would be unqiue!

Petty Officer
Sep 02, 2015
Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
narnialover1104 on Jan 23, 2016 wrote:
Whats epics for Subodai?
Relentless 3 Blade 2 Veng 1 (or 3 I can't remember off the spot if he gets enough for veng 3 if so drop blade 2 for blade 1 veng 3 but you need blade 1 at least :P)

Ensign
Sep 07, 2013
Well most subodai I see have relentless level 2 blade storm level 2 and vengeance strike level 3. Although I have seen other setup can't remember them.