Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Scrip

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 22, 2014
Ahoy!

I wish to inquire is there anyone thinks there should a bit more easier way to acquire scrips? I have an idea, how about making scrips as reward for a quest being completed. May I get some of your thoughts on it?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
monttella1968 on Dec 7, 2015 wrote:
Ahoy!

I wish to inquire is there anyone thinks there should a bit more easier way to acquire scrips? I have an idea, how about making scrips as reward for a quest being completed. May I get some of your thoughts on it?
Welcome to the Message Boards! Yes, many players have asked for an easier way to gain scrip, from companion tasking, boss drops and even your idea!
The easiest way to get scrip is to buy the Smuggler's Cove house in the Crown Shop ( and you can buy it with gold ). There is a secret well in the house that rewards scrip randomly in small amounts, the most I've received is 99 scrip.
Scrip is intended to be rare, so I don't believe that there should be an easier way to get it.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Ahoy!

It has been clearly stated that scrip is supposed to be hard to come by. As it is, with the regatta, the gauntlet, all the ships you can sink, the turrets, and PvP, there is plenty of opportunity to get scrip. I could only see scrip as a quest reward if it was a particularly hard and sea-going heavy quest, and even then I couldn't see offering more than a few scrip as a (very) small part of the reward.

Ensign
Mar 13, 2010
Ahoy!

I think KI intended scrip to be hard to earn. I agree scrip farming is a difficult task, but it is worth it when you have enough to buy the cool items in the Black Market.

Petty Officer
Feb 10, 2011
I think the Scrip prices need to be lowered or the drop rate increased. Or, as you suggest, we should get scrip as part of quest rewards.

But I do agree, something needs to be done about scrip since, except in very rare extreme cases, I don't think most pirates are willing to put in that much time for what's offered.

Ensign
Dec 22, 2014
Ahoy,

Many thanks for your thoughts on the subject. But, I will keep this thread open for now to see if more replies forth coming.

Ensign
Oct 25, 2013
aaronlightwalker on Dec 8, 2015 wrote:
I think the Scrip prices need to be lowered or the drop rate increased. Or, as you suggest, we should get scrip as part of quest rewards.

But I do agree, something needs to be done about scrip since, except in very rare extreme cases, I don't think most pirates are willing to put in that much time for what's offered.
That is very true. The price tag for things in the black market is pretty high. I don't think (and i think i speak for all the pirates out there) i want to spend a whole day to get enough scrip to buy one pet.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
merciless billy cl... on Dec 17, 2015 wrote:
That is very true. The price tag for things in the black market is pretty high. I don't think (and i think i speak for all the pirates out there) i want to spend a whole day to get enough scrip to buy one pet.
Welcome to the message boards, mattquake! One complete run through the Smuggler's arena can easily gain you enough for a Black Market pet! I usually receive between 400 - 500 from the Arena.

Petty Officer
Feb 10, 2011
anecorbie on Dec 17, 2015 wrote:
Welcome to the message boards, mattquake! One complete run through the Smuggler's arena can easily gain you enough for a Black Market pet! I usually receive between 400 - 500 from the Arena.
I'm thinking of more things like the cosmetic items.

I understand why the banners have to cost since they affect game play, but the cosmetic items don't affect game play so don't see why they need to be so expensive.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
I think all they need to do is increase the drop rate and the amount you get because everything is so hard to get. I am level 65 and I still have only over a thousand scrip. And the on l y thing really worth getting costs 25,000 scrip

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pirate101 fan on Dec 19, 2015 wrote:
I think all they need to do is increase the drop rate and the amount you get because everything is so hard to get. I am level 65 and I still have only over a thousand scrip. And the on l y thing really worth getting costs 25,000 scrip
It depends on what you consider "worth getting", for me, I can live without a fancy ship's cabin. Banners? Heck I fight just fine without that, so does my crew ( besides it takes away a needed item ).
But the couple of items I did want was the Smugglers outfit with the boots. It took me a year and a bit; ship farming, Smuggler's Arena, & some rank PVP. I kept getting distracted by the room dividers ( "oooh, I want that for my house! ) But, eventually, I did it. Stop complaining and work to earn those items, not everything is going to be handed to you ( yep, not even in a great game like Pirate101 )!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
With all the ways to gather scrip in this game, there is no reason why you can't earn enough to get what you need in a reasonable amount of time.
1. Hunt ships. If you can, hunt ships or towers in Marleybone or Aquila. My favorite "victim" for this is Captain Brocks in MB ( you can find him beyond the Trafalgar Vortex ). He drops a reasonable amount and spawns quickly. There's also a bonus of ship gear. The Armada Turret spawns slowly, you'll have to wait some time, it's also a tough fight so bring at least one friend.
2. Play Ranked PVP. ( Requires membership or crowns ) The scrip rewards increase as you rise in rank, even if you lose there's a scrip reward.
3. Smuggler's Arena. I've found that this item is well worth the purchase. Gather a few friends together and challenge yourself. The rewards for completing the arena run about 400-500 scrip. If you can't buy one, I'm sure you have a friend who has one ( or a friend of a friend ). Most want to use their arena but have trouble finding anyone to join them ( the rumors of how hard it is have scared many away. )
4. Nautical Gauntlet. Rather grueling, but worth it. Good drops, rare equipment ( Captain Swing ) ship gear and reasonable scrip.
5. Smuggler's Cove House. ( Can be purchased with gold in the crown shop ) By far the easiest way to get scrip. It's random though, I usually get a scrip drop monthly and amount varies - the most I've received was 99 scrip.

Petty Officer
Feb 10, 2011
anecorbie on Dec 20, 2015 wrote:
With all the ways to gather scrip in this game, there is no reason why you can't earn enough to get what you need in a reasonable amount of time.
1. Hunt ships. If you can, hunt ships or towers in Marleybone or Aquila. My favorite "victim" for this is Captain Brocks in MB ( you can find him beyond the Trafalgar Vortex ). He drops a reasonable amount and spawns quickly. There's also a bonus of ship gear. The Armada Turret spawns slowly, you'll have to wait some time, it's also a tough fight so bring at least one friend.
2. Play Ranked PVP. ( Requires membership or crowns ) The scrip rewards increase as you rise in rank, even if you lose there's a scrip reward.
3. Smuggler's Arena. I've found that this item is well worth the purchase. Gather a few friends together and challenge yourself. The rewards for completing the arena run about 400-500 scrip. If you can't buy one, I'm sure you have a friend who has one ( or a friend of a friend ). Most want to use their arena but have trouble finding anyone to join them ( the rumors of how hard it is have scared many away. )
4. Nautical Gauntlet. Rather grueling, but worth it. Good drops, rare equipment ( Captain Swing ) ship gear and reasonable scrip.
5. Smuggler's Cove House. ( Can be purchased with gold in the crown shop ) By far the easiest way to get scrip. It's random though, I usually get a scrip drop monthly and amount varies - the most I've received was 99 scrip.
I think you're missing the point.

Some players really have no desire to do pvp, ranked or otherwise, nor run a crown shop dungeon over and over again. Nor run the same gauntlet again and again. Nor get an aesthetically unappealing house on the hope of getting scrip drops once a month. One of the things I like about Pirate101 versus Wizard101 is the less focus on endless grinding.

That said, I can live without what's offered with scrip since it doesn't really affect gameplay, however, I do agree removing needless grind in any game is an idea worth supporting.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
aaronlightwalker on Dec 21, 2015 wrote:

Some players really have no desire to do pvp, ranked or otherwise, nor run a crown shop dungeon over and over again. Nor run the same gauntlet again and again. Nor get an aesthetically unappealing house on the hope of getting scrip drops once a month. One of the things I like about Pirate101 versus Wizard101 is the less focus on endless grinding.

That said, I can live without what's offered with scrip since it doesn't really affect gameplay, however, I do agree removing needless grind in any game is an idea worth supporting.
I hate to sound harsh here, but if players aren't willing to put in an effort to get whatever it is they want - be it "OP" gear, gold or scrip, then they don't deserve an easy path. ( SCCs not withstanding )
"Aesthetically unpleasing" is only an opinion, many players have expressed how wonderful this house looks.
As it is; "grinding" is the only thing many max level players can do due to a lack of story line.

Petty Officer
Feb 10, 2011
anecorbie on Dec 21, 2015 wrote:
I hate to sound harsh here, but if players aren't willing to put in an effort to get whatever it is they want - be it "OP" gear, gold or scrip, then they don't deserve an easy path. ( SCCs not withstanding )
"Aesthetically unpleasing" is only an opinion, many players have expressed how wonderful this house looks.
As it is; "grinding" is the only thing many max level players can do due to a lack of story line.
I don't think you sound harsh. I was simply pointing out the other side to the discussion. And I didn't see the original person saying they wanted it "easy".

One of the things I notice in KI forums is when an opinion/suggestion is stated, someone will come along later and attempt to invalidate that opinion/suggestion because "they" are okay with it. It's like saying "it" doesn't matter because "it" doesn't bother them.

These are merely suggestions and opinions from other players, nothing more. Perhaps other players agree, perhaps not, but it shouldn't lessen their opportunity to state their opinion, or advocate for the possibility for something to be considered in the future.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
aaronlightwalker on Dec 23, 2015 wrote:
I don't think you sound harsh. I was simply pointing out the other side to the discussion. And I didn't see the original person saying they wanted it "easy".

One of the things I notice in KI forums is when an opinion/suggestion is stated, someone will come along later and attempt to invalidate that opinion/suggestion because "they" are okay with it. It's like saying "it" doesn't matter because "it" doesn't bother them.

These are merely suggestions and opinions from other players, nothing more. Perhaps other players agree, perhaps not, but it shouldn't lessen their opportunity to state their opinion, or advocate for the possibility for something to be considered in the future.
Very true.

Ensign
May 25, 2013

i know. w101 is easier because they don't even have a black market and most things are cheaper

Lieutenant
Mar 07, 2009
I have mentioned before that boarding ships should get you scrips. Sorry but I get board sinking ships. boarding takes longer but more fun I think. I was using my scrimshaw galleon in MB with my witch doc. Till I realized you cant get scrips by boarding which I think is so wrong. Thats what pirates do....board ships AAARRR

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
nitewalker7180 on Feb 16, 2016 wrote:
I have mentioned before that boarding ships should get you scrips. Sorry but I get board sinking ships. boarding takes longer but more fun I think. I was using my scrimshaw galleon in MB with my witch doc. Till I realized you cant get scrips by boarding which I think is so wrong. Thats what pirates do....board ships AAARRR
Many more players can sink a ship than can board and sink a ship - this is why its necessary to sink ships for scrip. It's meant to be a community effort.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013

I suppose the grinding can be boring but switching between all of the 5 options makes the game fun, revisiting skyways to release your nautical energy, challenge players to intense PvP, look into the P101 housing market, I'm sure it's not that boring?

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
nitewalker7180 on Feb 16, 2016 wrote:
Boarding is basically another mob battle, just on a ship. Not all pirates board - sinking is the quicker, easier way to go, plus it gives you the chance of getting new ship equipment for the higher-leveled ships you need as you progress.

Boarding-only to defeat ships is self-defeating in the end.

Lieutenant
Mar 07, 2009
anecorbie on Feb 16, 2016 wrote:
Many more players can sink a ship than can board and sink a ship - this is why its necessary to sink ships for scrip. It's meant to be a community effort.
It still can be a community effort boarding ships...and earning scrips....pirates board ships and fight and plunder the last time I knew.

Lieutenant
Mar 07, 2009
Willowydream on Feb 17, 2016 wrote:
Boarding is basically another mob battle, just on a ship. Not all pirates board - sinking is the quicker, easier way to go, plus it gives you the chance of getting new ship equipment for the higher-leveled ships you need as you progress.

Boarding-only to defeat ships is self-defeating in the end.
Pirates board ships and fight and plunder....that is what pirates also do....not just sink ships. It takes a team effort to bring down a ship and also fight on a ship if you choose. Sorry but sailing around the skyway just sinking ships...for me is boring. by myself or with others. I still do it because it is the game. Their is nothing wrong with another choice. doing both is better than one. so much for self defeating... Have fun!!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
nitewalker7180 on Feb 21, 2016 wrote:
It still can be a community effort boarding ships...and earning scrips....pirates board ships and fight and plunder the last time I knew.
But only four can board, leaving out the rest of the scrip hunters. I've been in "packs" of up to 20 ships hunting scrip, if boarding was allowed the first 4 on board would get the reward, leaving out the others.