Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Few suggestions to improve Witchdoctors in PvP

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
Hello everyone,

I thought of a few possible improvements that will help witches in PvP.

Improve Grimtooth - Give him line of Valor powers (Valor's Shield, Valors Armor, Valors Fortress and Valors Rampart). Using this companion for these protections would be a fair trade of not using other more damage-dealing companion. Grimtooth range and accuracy ae making him one of the weaker companions in game. These powers will improve him a bit.

Improve our line of sight and range - I am thinking of power that extends Witches range and ignores obstacles for some number of rounds. As an alternative, we can even have sentry wards that can be placed anywhere on the map. Sentry enables Witch to cast power as it he was at that place with reduced range to 2 or 3 squares. Sentry acts as an object and it can be destroyed.

Limit Witch Hunter to Staffy weapons or hybrid staffy/any weapons - Melee unit with Witch Hunter has an incredible advantage over Witchdoctor in close range combat. Mojo Reaver suggests that we shouldn't be taken lightly when attacked by melee unit. But all that goes down the drain if Melee unit can deal hit just before our move and have serious chain of attacks. How are we supposed to attack our opponent if there is a great chance for us to die when we use magical or staffy attack to him. As an alternative stop Witch Hunter activating other epics. One hit is more then enough to put us in danger.

I already suggested talent called Focus on another thread - Allowing your powers to show up how you placed them in deck, or at least increasing the chance for that.

Terror-Cottas Troupe - With each Will increase you gain ability to summon one terror cotta for sure and percentage to summon another one. For example, lets say that with 100 will, you will summon 4 cottas for sure, with 75% to summon 5th, 50% to summon 6th, 25% to summon 7th. With further increase of Will you will get more cottas for sure and a percentage for even more after that..

I think that is it for now.

I ask all Witches and all other classes to give their voice on this thread.

We Witches are powerful servants of magic and we shouldn't be taken lightly and we should have a fighting chance in the arena.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Duncan StormThief on Sep 21, 2015 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Improve Grimtooth - Give him line of Valor powers (Valor's Shield, Valors Armor, Valors Fortress and Valors Rampart). Using this companion for these protections would be a fair trade of not using other more damage-dealing companion. Grimtooth range and accuracy ae making him one of the weaker companions in game. These powers will improve him a bit.

Improve our line of sight and range - I am thinking of power that extends Witches range and ignores obstacles for some number of rounds. As an alternative, we can even have sentry wards that can be placed anywhere on the map. Sentry enables Witch to cast power as it he was at that place with reduced range to 2 or 3 squares. Sentry acts as an object and it can be destroyed.

Limit Witch Hunter to Staffy weapons or hybrid staffy/any weapons - Melee unit with Witch Hunter has an incredible advantage over Witchdoctor in close range combat. Mojo Reaver suggests that we shouldn't be taken lightly when attacked by melee unit. But all that goes down the drain if Melee unit can deal hit just before our move and have serious chain of attacks. How are we supposed to attack our opponent if there is a great chance for us to die when we use magical or staffy attack to him. As an alternative stop Witch Hunter activating other epics. One hit is more then enough to put us in danger.

I already suggested talent called Focus on another thread - Allowing your powers to show up how you placed them in deck, or at least increasing the chance for that.

Terror-Cottas Troupe - With each Will increase you gain ability to summon one terror cotta for sure and percentage to summon another one. For example, lets say that with 100 will, you will summon 4 cottas for sure, with 75% to summon 5th, 50% to summon 6th, 25% to summon 7th. With further increase of Will you will get more cottas for sure and a percentage for even more after that..

We Witches are powerful servants of magic and we shouldn't be taken lightly and we should have a fighting chance in the arena.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman
The Valor series are Privateer powers, other classes can only gain these by gear. Carcarius, being a witchdoctor, should not have access to them. This isn't to say he couldn't be improved with maybe an accuracy boost? ( Gosh maybe El Toro can help? ) And with FS3 stop those pesky bucklers?
Increase your range by using staffs that have a better range, just as musketeers need better range for their weapons, why should you have better eyesight than the rest of us?
No, Witch hunter should stay as is. It depends on the pirate whether to gain this talent or not. Boost your dodge to avoid being hit/reduced. ( Oooh, maybe El Toro can help there? )
Cotta are fixed as of now, boost your Will, if you want more.

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Duncan StormThief on Sep 21, 2015 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman
Haha wrong forum section Duncan!

I like the ideas though. The Grimtooth idea is interesting, but it would also mean we would give up a stronger companion to be able to use him. In all honesty, even with the fort, he might not be worth using because of how easily Witchdoctor companions die and how often they miss without a Privateer accuracy buff. I have been discovering while fighting on my Privy with Old Scratch, that usually after the mojo buff the poor guy is mostly useless as he dies so quickly whenever the opponent decides to focus him.

The line of sight and range improvement is interesting, but I think a better solution might be just to remove the obstacles from the arena or have mournsong line of power ignore obstacles (like Big Guns). The benefit of the obstacles was to prevent melee classes from getting hit by sniper shots and mournsongs first turn, but with how well melee classes are doing, perhaps the ranged classes do need that advantage.

A 100% agree with your Witch Hunter idea. I think it is silly that Witch Hunter, trained by any class, can trigger no matter what weapon you have AND start off Buck/Swashbuckler chains of relentless/bladestorm.

Focus sounds interesting, but don't think it will help much.

Warriors need to stay as they are imo. As someone who used the Warriors to their full potential last season, it needed to be nerfed. I think we are better off directly buffing the weaker classes (Witches) rather than buffing the Warriors back up.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
First of all... I think this is the wrong forum :P

Second, valor line is privateer powers, I'm sure you can find something else...

Increasing range alone will already make a big difference.

Someone mentioned that on another post, Intuition should trigger before witch hunter, which then can trigger mojo echo etc.

I like your focus suggestion, actually I would like that for all classes, lol.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
1.) I don't think Grimtooth should get another Privateer power...he is a WD. It is already a great benefit that he has one unique power unavailable to the WD naturally, but adding more just doesn't make sense. Now, if Privateer companions that are available to the WD were granted some Valor's powers that would be different. However, I have to suspect that KI limits the total class powers on companions specifically so that variables in a match do not get too overwhelming.

2.) Spell Power/Spooky users are about to receive a major upgrade in damage in the near future with Mojo Flow. The greatest defense against range classes is preventing their line of sight. So I disagree that WDs should be granted increased line of sight capabilities....in addition to the increased damage they will be doing in the near future with the Flow fix.

3.) From an RPG standpoint, if you are going to go on a "witch hunt" you don't do with a staffy weapon. Staffy weapons are synonymous with magical/mage abilities. Witch hunters are specifically looking to destroy those who use staffy weapons. From a gameplay perspective, the idea is that the WD keeps melee from getting too close to do the destructive damage you are describing (or severely debuff them by the time they get there). You can't have a class that is superior at range damage and excellent at close damage mitigation. Their are trade offs in this game and WDs/Bucklers are squishy in defense, specifically because they deal a considerable amount of targeted damage.

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
This isn't to say he couldn't be improved with maybe an accuracy boost?

Still, his small range limits him. He is weak by all PvP standards. Protection power would increase his value.

Increase your range by using staffs that have a better range, just as musketeers need better range for their weapons, why should you have better eyesight than the rest of us?

Yes. We are very limited against melee units. My matches against Swash and Bucc can be over in 2 to 3 rounds top, based on the variables. Witches don't have that luxury, even with the best possible outcome we can't finish our matches in less then 5-7 rounds.

And with FS3 stop those pesky bucklers

I am witch and I don't have FS3, and I can't devote everything just to go against up swash, there are other classes out there.

I am really eager to hear people opinions here, but please don't just say random things like this. I already said, I boosted my will. Even with 115 Will (just through gear) +100% buff I summoned 1 Terror Cotta, just one. And I saw swash with his base will summoning 4 of them. That is just too random.

I played over 300 matches so far. There is obvious problem with charging and hidden units. Even with 100% Spell Power Boost, we have to have clear sight of our opponent and have to damage them all in one turn. Otherwise Witch is done for. Cottas helped a lot with Hold the Line 3. Ratbeard with same epic helps too but he is not effective as they were. Peter Quint with one chain of attacks killed one companion and gets other two to yellow bar. Even if I make necessary sacrifices to preserve and gain advantage, Swash hides, heals, buffs and all that without any threat of taking damage. Maybe an answer to this would be that you allow witch companions to target an area rather then unit. That way witch comps can hit hidden units.
I am not even sure what to do against bucc who uses highland charge.
I am open to suggestions.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Duncan StormThief on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
This isn't to say he couldn't be improved with maybe an accuracy boost?

Still, his small range limits him. He is weak by all PvP standards. Protection power would increase his value.

Yes. We are very limited against melee units. My matches against Swash and Bucc can be over in 2 to 3 rounds top, based on the variables. Witches don't have that luxury, even with the best possible outcome we can't finish our matches in less then 5-7 rounds.

And with FS3 stop those pesky bucklers

I am witch and I don't have FS3, and I can't devote everything just to go against up swash, there are other classes out there.

I am really eager to hear people opinions here, but please don't just say random things like this. I already said, I boosted my will. Even with 115 Will (just through gear) +100% buff I summoned 1 Terror Cotta, just one. And I saw swash with his base will summoning 4 of them. That is just too random.

I played over 300 matches so far. There is obvious problem with charging and hidden units. Even with 100% Spell Power Boost, we have to have clear sight of our opponent and have to damage them all in one turn. Otherwise Witch is done for. Cottas helped a lot with Hold the Line 3. Ratbeard with same epic helps too but he is not effective as they were. Peter Quint with one chain of attacks killed one companion and gets other two to yellow bar. Even if I make necessary sacrifices to preserve and gain advantage, Swash hides, heals, buffs and all that without any threat of taking damage. Maybe an answer to this would be that you allow witch companions to target an area rather then unit. That way witch comps can hit hidden units.
I am not even sure what to do against bucc who uses highland charge.
I am open to suggestions.
Sorry, I meant El Toro has the FS3 and to use him to boost everyone.

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
anecorbie on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
Sorry, I meant El Toro has the FS3 and to use him to boost everyone.
I actually think that I will try him out and place him instead Ratbeard.

Will see how that setup works.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman