Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Enemy's with hide

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
May 07, 2009
This is something I have been wondering since the update to combat hide. Of course it could just be for PvP, but I thought that it would probably only affect PvP. So, in book 15 and beyond; are some enemy's gonna have hide?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Dogsrock5656 on Sep 7, 2015 wrote:
This is something I have been wondering since the update to combat hide. Of course it could just be for PvP, but I thought that it would probably only affect PvP. So, in book 15 and beyond; are some enemy's gonna have hide?
So far the only enemies with a hide I've encountered is in the Tower of Moo Manchu - the Nefarious Five fight, Jonathan the buckler ( and he has Black Fog ).

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Why not have some equality out there on the field too? Battle gets boring when victory is guaranteed.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Here's something that I came across a couple weeks ago, from this thread on Central, that was rather interesting....and that I was completely clueless to. Seems that there are already other enemies out there in the Spiral that have the ability to hide (besides Tower foes).

If you follow the link, you'll see that not only could that Spider Boss in Devilfish Hollow hide, but it is indeed Black Fog that it has in it's possession...and does actually use. Pretty neat to know that there's still some 'unknown secrets' tucked away in some creepy corners of the vast Spiral.

Spiders that hide and then strike for 2x damage........burbrrbrbrbrrrrbrraaahhhh!! (And yes, that's the sound made if you leave your lips loose and rapidly shake your head side to side, whilst making a 'ewww, that gives me the creeps' kind of sound).

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 8, 2015 wrote:
Here's something that I came across a couple weeks ago, from this thread on Central, that was rather interesting....and that I was completely clueless to. Seems that there are already other enemies out there in the Spiral that have the ability to hide (besides Tower foes).

If you follow the link, you'll see that not only could that Spider Boss in Devilfish Hollow hide, but it is indeed Black Fog that it has in it's possession...and does actually use. Pretty neat to know that there's still some 'unknown secrets' tucked away in some creepy corners of the vast Spiral.

Spiders that hide and then strike for 2x damage........burbrrbrbrbrrrrbrraaahhhh!! (And yes, that's the sound made if you leave your lips loose and rapidly shake your head side to side, whilst making a 'ewww, that gives me the creeps' kind of sound).
If I could give you two yars, I would!

1.) For the neat tidbit info.
2.) For all "that" in the last paragraph.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Oran from Urz on Sep 8, 2015 wrote:
If I could give you two yars, I would!

1.) For the neat tidbit info.
2.) For all "that" in the last paragraph.
Thank you Oran, glad to offer up something yarrable!

So here's the question of the day.....how many times throughout the day, or at least after reading the post, did you try to recreate that glorious sound-- just to see if my spelling was correct ( and after making sure no one was looking of course) :P

I'll shamefully admit that I practiced it quite often, as I tried to see if I left out any B's, R's, U's, A's or H's. Hey that seems like a perfectly fitting word and name for that majestic display, combining deft coordination and sublime vocal skills.........Bruah it is!!!

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 9, 2015 wrote:
Thank you Oran, glad to offer up something yarrable!

So here's the question of the day.....how many times throughout the day, or at least after reading the post, did you try to recreate that glorious sound-- just to see if my spelling was correct ( and after making sure no one was looking of course) :P

I'll shamefully admit that I practiced it quite often, as I tried to see if I left out any B's, R's, U's, A's or H's. Hey that seems like a perfectly fitting word and name for that majestic display, combining deft coordination and sublime vocal skills.........Bruah it is!!!
I tried it once. After getting strange looks while making the sound and shaking my head side to side, I dropped it.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Oran from Urz on Sep 11, 2015 wrote:
I tried it once. After getting strange looks while making the sound and shaking my head side to side, I dropped it.
Wise decision....very wise. Well, that is unless you have 2 year old twins, like me-- in which while conducting such a foolish display you'll get gazed upon as if you are some sort of epic hero.

I'll surely pay for it when they hit those teen years though. But until that day....let the foolish fly!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 11, 2015 wrote:
Wise decision....very wise. Well, that is unless you have 2 year old twins, like me-- in which while conducting such a foolish display you'll get gazed upon as if you are some sort of epic hero.

I'll surely pay for it when they hit those teen years though. But until that day....let the foolish fly!
I make that very sound (Brilliant spelling by the way) for my 6 & 7 year great niece and nephew and it delights them no end. They are still just padawans in the duplication of such glorious silliness but I have them well in my tutelage and will indeed "Train them up in the way they should go" when it comes to the goofification department.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Sep 11, 2015 wrote:
I make that very sound (Brilliant spelling by the way) for my 6 & 7 year great niece and nephew and it delights them no end. They are still just padawans in the duplication of such glorious silliness but I have them well in my tutelage and will indeed "Train them up in the way they should go" when it comes to the goofification department.
Chrissy, I'm quite sure your niece and nephew have been enriched by you immensely, and I just know that the goof has a lot to do with the enriching. Seems that kids are taught to 'stash the silly' way too soon these days and everyone is in a hurry for them to grow up, way too fast. So many are forced to mature way before they are even mature enough to mature, and then that often paves the way for a lot of under-matured maturity that often translates into immaturity later on in life.There's nothing like the hold-nothing-back laughter produced by something so absurdly silly and kids blasted by the utterly goofy, do it best. I try to keep in mind that my own kids will have the whole rest of their lives to 'serious them up' and that it won't be long before the responsible realities of the world will surround and attempt to smother them. Childhood is a time for learning, preparing and molding, but it's also a time for laughter and actually enjoying being a child. Heck, most adults could stand to embrace the goof, just a wee bit more.

So, I think it is absolutely wonderful that you are instilling in your niece and nephew the fine arts of 'goofifcation'...among other, less goofified things, I'm quite certain.

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 14, 2015 wrote:
Chrissy, I'm quite sure your niece and nephew have been enriched by you immensely, and I just know that the goof has a lot to do with the enriching. Seems that kids are taught to 'stash the silly' way too soon these days and everyone is in a hurry for them to grow up, way too fast. So many are forced to mature way before they are even mature enough to mature, and then that often paves the way for a lot of under-matured maturity that often translates into immaturity later on in life.There's nothing like the hold-nothing-back laughter produced by something so absurdly silly and kids blasted by the utterly goofy, do it best. I try to keep in mind that my own kids will have the whole rest of their lives to 'serious them up' and that it won't be long before the responsible realities of the world will surround and attempt to smother them. Childhood is a time for learning, preparing and molding, but it's also a time for laughter and actually enjoying being a child. Heck, most adults could stand to embrace the goof, just a wee bit more.

So, I think it is absolutely wonderful that you are instilling in your niece and nephew the fine arts of 'goofifcation'...among other, less goofified things, I'm quite certain.
I've never seen a post that serious with the word 'goof' in it so many times.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Fearless Finnagan on Sep 14, 2015 wrote:
I've never seen a post that serious with the word 'goof' in it so many times.
Well.....I can't be tooooo serious, now can I?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 11, 2015 wrote:

Oh, yeah, so true! I used to dance around all the time, to the delight of my children. But now... well, I better not even let my toes start tapping in a parking lot or some such place!

Though my Microbiology students always liked the spontaneous vocalizations that accompanied lectures on the behavior of microbes (I'd often get something like 'So how do gliding bacteria move again, professor?' so they would get a repeat of the squelching, squooshing sounds I was using to relate the bacterial action... )

But back to the topic at hand: yes, I do think an enemy having 'hide' or 'black fog' adds an appealing dimension of uncertainty to battles (I am talking specifically about PvE, but I see no reason why this shouldn't apply to PvP). It is the knowledge that you don't have all the winning cards in your hand; that you have to focus and think; that this battle has more of the thrill of 'danger' [a very safe danger, in a game, of course!].

And if you could not discern their position at all --as our enemies can not perceive us--, that would lend itself to a fight with a very 'dangerous', creepy feeling indeed. I think Ratbeard once said this full reversal would not be a possibility (perhaps on technical grounds), and I could imagine all the bitter complaints KI would get if they ever did, so not wise in that regard either. However, it makes excellent fuel for the imagination, and I've used the concept in my fan fiction more than once to thoroughly scare and 'creep out' my protagonist (much in the spirit of the real historic author, Ann Radcliffe, too! )

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 16, 2015 wrote:
Oh, yeah, so true! I used to dance around all the time, to the delight of my children. But now... well, I better not even let my toes start tapping in a parking lot or some such place!

Though my Microbiology students always liked the spontaneous vocalizations that accompanied lectures on the behavior of microbes (I'd often get something like 'So how do gliding bacteria move again, professor?' so they would get a repeat of the squelching, squooshing sounds I was using to relate the bacterial action... )

But back to the topic at hand: yes, I do think an enemy having 'hide' or 'black fog' adds an appealing dimension of uncertainty to battles (I am talking specifically about PvE, but I see no reason why this shouldn't apply to PvP). It is the knowledge that you don't have all the winning cards in your hand; that you have to focus and think; that this battle has more of the thrill of 'danger' [a very safe danger, in a game, of course!].

And if you could not discern their position at all --as our enemies can not perceive us--, that would lend itself to a fight with a very 'dangerous', creepy feeling indeed. I think Ratbeard once said this full reversal would not be a possibility (perhaps on technical grounds), and I could imagine all the bitter complaints KI would get if they ever did, so not wise in that regard either. However, it makes excellent fuel for the imagination, and I've used the concept in my fan fiction more than once to thoroughly scare and 'creep out' my protagonist (much in the spirit of the real historic author, Ann Radcliffe, too! )
Oh yes and I forgot to mention that Jonathan has First Strike 3, so no more hide boosted attacks on that nefarious lout will work ( alas. ) He has Shroud and so does Lynne
Your students will forever remember how gliding bacteria move because of those sound effects.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 16, 2015 wrote:

Anne, please tell me you have some audio clips of the squelching and squooshing sounds those 'gliding bacteria' make....for public use-- that I just have to hear! I Googled 'squelching and squooshing sounds used to describe bacteria movement, made by no-shame-in-their-game Microbiology professors' and I got nothin'...so far! But I'll keep on searching-- if I 'find it', it'll surely be worth it!

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Besides that Johnathan lad of Moo's, I be eager to know if KI will have future foes with Walk in Shadow/Darkness, or Black Fog, fer I me self love a good challenge, cause truth be told I could use a deadly uncanny force to have a good ol' fashion pirating brawl at, I grew tired of Moo and his wee lackeys, I mean what ol' Skydog wouldn't be if ye know what I mean.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
jack morgan933 on Sep 16, 2015 wrote:
Besides that Johnathan lad of Moo's, I be eager to know if KI will have future foes with Walk in Shadow/Darkness, or Black Fog, fer I me self love a good challenge, cause truth be told I could use a deadly uncanny force to have a good ol' fashion pirating brawl at, I grew tired of Moo and his wee lackeys, I mean what ol' Skydog wouldn't be if ye know what I mean.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
Hmmm, a deadly uncanny force -- sort of like an evil mastermind lurking in an ancient stronghold seeking to terrorize the innocent?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Moo and his wee lackeys have provided well-thought-out and interesting fights, with some very nice twists (speaking as a player, of course!) Moo himself makes an excellent villain: clever, sinister, immoral; vindictive, but sometimes generous. Intensely prideful, he plans a careful revenge on those who thwart his well-laid plans -- you! Getting his 'invitation' (which has to be translated, as he puts it in code. An extra snobby gesture...), with the menacing implications if he "has to wait too long for her" makes it a very personal threat indeed (and thanks, KI, for changing the pronouns relevant for boys and girls! It really makes an important emphasis).

So yes indeed, Jack, deadly, uncanny enemies with a personal grudge out to get you -- that's the sort of thing that makes Pirate101 a great story and a great game! Sure, and I am looking forward to more!

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 17, 2015 wrote:
Hmmm, a deadly uncanny force -- sort of like an evil mastermind lurking in an ancient stronghold seeking to terrorize the innocent?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Moo and his wee lackeys have provided well-thought-out and interesting fights, with some very nice twists (speaking as a player, of course!) Moo himself makes an excellent villain: clever, sinister, immoral; vindictive, but sometimes generous. Intensely prideful, he plans a careful revenge on those who thwart his well-laid plans -- you! Getting his 'invitation' (which has to be translated, as he puts it in code. An extra snobby gesture...), with the menacing implications if he "has to wait too long for her" makes it a very personal threat indeed (and thanks, KI, for changing the pronouns relevant for boys and girls! It really makes an important emphasis).

So yes indeed, Jack, deadly, uncanny enemies with a personal grudge out to get you -- that's the sort of thing that makes Pirate101 a great story and a great game! Sure, and I am looking forward to more!
Ye make a valid point dear lass, plus I never underestimate an opponent we all know how dangerous Moo can be, but I just be saying that maybe just maybe KI may have came up with another deadly challenge coming soon maybe not another foe but maybe a mysterious threat causing utter chaos in Skull Island or any other world perhaps, I mean well ALL like a deadly challenges to keep us busy fer awhile since we know the last newsletter said that the Main Story won't be here fer some time so, might as well get a little bit more uncanny around here fer the time being don't ye think.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan