Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Crown Shop Companions Bought With Gold

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Aug 23, 2008
Companions have a huge impact in every battle, one could even say that a team of good companions is better than any pirate, especially in lower levels.

So I think that we should be able to buy the companions in the crown shop with gold just like the houses, I say this because there is no other way to get some on them and most of them cost more than 5000 crowns ( I really think that 10$ for a companion is way too much ) and considering that some of them are extremely good it can even count as "pay-to-win" because having really good companions from the start will make the game and pvp battles way easier.

I'm not sure how many players buy them but it might even help bringing more players to the game, they would need to farm gold to buy the companions, and with the players base as low as it is I think its a good way to bring former players.

This is just my opinion as a collector.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Quemtedera on Aug 12, 2015 wrote:
Companions have a huge impact in every battle, one could even say that a team of good companions is better than any pirate, especially in lower levels.

So I think that we should be able to buy the companions in the crown shop with gold just like the houses, I say this because there is no other way to get some on them and most of them cost more than 5000 crowns ( I really think that 10$ for a companion is way too much ) and considering that some of them are extremely good it can even count as "pay-to-win" because having really good companions from the start will make the game and pvp battles way easier.

I'm not sure how many players buy them but it might even help bringing more players to the game, they would need to farm gold to buy the companions, and with the players base as low as it is I think its a good way to bring former players.

Welcome to the message boards Quemtedera1 Now, why would KI implement such a policy? People buy crowns to get companions or pets or other nifty stuff in the Crowns Shop, crowns keep the company fiscally afloat and pays their employees. If they did this they would lose a fat chunk of revenue. And I must say, that since the advent of the Tower of Moo Manchu, getting gold is super easy, why just one run can get a pirate to the gold cap!

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
This seems like a horrible idea businesswise. I imagine that companions are a good source of income for the Kingsisle team. Also, its not like that many companions from the crown shop have a giant effect on the battle. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Baar, who is a pack companion (so a no go there), Goro, who I could maybe understand making gold because of the work you have to do to get him, and maybe a couple of the starter companions.

Admiral
May 30, 2010

Houses are a luxury item. You don't need a house; they don't affect game play particularly. Your own words indicate that crown companions do affect game play and do so dramatically.

Ignoring the revenue issue (and KI is a business; they're pretty much glued to the revenue issue), for many players the challenge of the battles is a major part of the fun of the game; why take that away?

KI gives you an opportunity to earn crowns in-game. Use it regularly enough and you can afford your desired companion at no real cost to you (other than time).

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
I can agree with gold for companions as long as its 200,001 gold for a companion

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Aug 17, 2015 wrote:
I can agree with gold for companions as long as its 200,001 gold for a companion
That was wicked, Robert

Admiral
May 30, 2010
zuto4011a on Aug 17, 2015 wrote:
And when the gold cap increases as it is likely to do eventually?

Ensign
Feb 14, 2012
I like the idea but kingisle will never do it but I think the 2000 crown companions could cost 150000 gold and 4000 crown companions cold cost 200000 at least they might do that

Ensign
May 24, 2014

If I was KI and I did this I would make it 600,000-100,000,0

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Maybe all the lesser companions, such as Madclaw and those that cost 2995 crowns (not including holiday ones) could be purchased for 200000 gold.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
If I may add, Crown Shop Companions are powerful and very special.That's why, they only accept crowns to " hire " these characters , for thire services. To help our pirate character(s) to defend against the armada forces and other evil forces, that tries to take over the spiral. Sometimes I "hire " these companions when they are on sale, look for an anoucement on the loading screen.

There are two other ways to earn crowns, like someone pointed out earlier click on the earn free crowns button and play trivia with 75% or higher score, after a great adventure.If avilable check at participating stores for gift cards and reddem the code for crowns, that's the secound way to earn crowns or do both. If wanted try entering a contest who knows, if luck is on your side you can win the big one, that's a lot of crowns.

Until then see you at the sky way.