Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Howdy, fellow pirates!

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 06, 2015
Howdy, guys!

I have just started playing pirate101 2 days ago, the game seems pretty fun to me and I believe i'll be sticking with it for a long time. I don't really know anyone in the game, at the moment, so if you guys want to add me i'll be more than glad! Anyways, I'd love to get a few things right about the game, so bear with me newbish questions, please :P

1- Are the crownshop pets worth it? I've noticed that it says "max" stats, does that mean it hatches with max attributes already or what?
2- What should I spend my crowns on?
3- Any tips for a musketeer? I took my time reading some guide here and there and I've got to admit, they really helped me a lot but I'm still missing a few things.
4- What talents & powers should I mainly focus on as a musketeer? Right now, I'm going for rouse and light armor.
5- Are the weapons from the crownshop worth it? I really like the swivel gun xD
6- What's the best class for pvp?

That'd be all for now! Thanks, guys!

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
Beso4ever on Jul 10, 2015 wrote:
Howdy, guys!

I have just started playing pirate101 2 days ago, the game seems pretty fun to me and I believe i'll be sticking with it for a long time. I don't really know anyone in the game, at the moment, so if you guys want to add me i'll be more than glad! Anyways, I'd love to get a few things right about the game, so bear with me newbish questions, please :P

1- Are the crownshop pets worth it? I've noticed that it says "max" stats, does that mean it hatches with max attributes already or what?
3- Any tips for a musketeer? I took my time reading some guide here and there and I've got to admit, they really helped me a lot but I'm still missing a few things.
4- What talents & powers should I mainly focus on as a musketeer? Right now, I'm going for rouse and light armor.

Welcome both to Pirate101 and the Message Boards, Beso! We're a pretty strong community, but we're also very... divided on many things, so you can expect our answers to differ considerably. Anyway, I'll do my best to give you what I think are the best answers.

1- Only if you really Like the way they look. Pets in P101 have a 'pedigree', something that affects the talents and powers that that pet receives. the higher the pedigree, the higher the talents/powers. Pedigree maxes out at 700, but the only way to get a pet with a high pedigree is to morph and hatch with another player. if you have not already, I would recommend that you visit Bestia to learn more about this.

2- Anything you like! although, personally, if I were you I would save my crowns until I was at a much higher level. That said, if you like playing the odds and have enough crowns, the 2 main packs (I can't remember their actual names...) can be excellent sources of gear, pets, mounts, and, if you are super lucky, companions.

3- Hmm. If you've already read a guide, then I doubt I can really tell you that much more. I guess I would advise you to play cautiously, and always try to focus you and your crew on one target at a time.

4- those are excellent choices. I would also recommend gunnery, because its good to have an infinitely ranged AoE, as well as 'fast' which will increse the distance you can move when it is your turn.

5- its totally up to you. however, later in the game, players gain access to a dungeon called 'The Tower of Moo Manchu' where you can get superb gear very reliably, as well as (if you're lucky) an excellent weapon.
In the end, it is up to you.

6- I think that almost everyone will answer 'SWASHBUCKLER' here, but the truth is that the meta game of P101 is cyclical. additionally, if you play well you can win just about any fight. Additionally, it is looking like pvp might be revamped soon, so don't worry too much about it.

I hope that helped! have fun in the Spiral!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Welcome to message boards, mate! You'll find we are friendly bunch here and you may get an over-flow of info, lol.
!. pets here are worth training ( and are super easy to train ) many make really good hybrids, too. But I'll let the Pet experts answer that question.
2. A good mount is useful, and you can get a chance at a mount from the Tribal Pack. This pack also gives pets, training tomes, housing items and a chance at some powerful companions.
3.I can say nothing as to tips for a musketeer, but you might want to check out the post: "what is a Musketeer".
4. Rouse and light armor are very good choices ( also I suggest you train Walk in Shadows from the swashbuckler trainer Morgan LaFitte. )
5. weapons from the crown shop are excellent, I still get use from my boarding daggers, however, buying a weapon at this level isn't recommended as you will soon 'out-grow' that weapon, wait until you reach a higher level.
6. Everyone has something to say on that subject, but I believe that Musketeers are at the top of the 'food-chain' PVP-wise.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Howdy, guys!

Welcome to the message boards

I will tackle the musketeer training question. Rouse is a good thing to have. Be sure to train some Spooky from the witchdoctor trainer as that will help strengthen any magical skill you have like your traps and bombs.
It is a good idea to check the bazaar for higher level gear you like and will work towards. Then if that gear is, for example, slashy/shooty or stabby/shooty, then train in that other skill so you can use that weapon or gear.
Anything that increases your accuracy is good too.
Also, since musketeers main boost is in agility, anything that will boost that will help you to hit stronger with your shots or bombs. Laying those bombs and traps in front of your crew and having them wait and let the enemy come to them will do a lot of damage to the enemy before they even hit you. You and your crew can then take out an already weakened enemy.
Have fun blowing things up, I love it.

Ensign
Jul 06, 2015
Thanks so much guys for answering, I feel at home already :)

@Blixet
Yeah, I'm not willing to buy anything till I hit a high level :D But I still can't really get the hang of the pet system

@anecorbie
Agreed! Friendly pirates for the win!

@Chrissy
Blowing things is super fun, indded :D By the way, what do you think...Up till now, I've never thought about going dual (Shooty/Slashy...etc). I was thinking of going pure shooty all the way. Would that work good in dungeons?

Thanks guys for the warm welcome, once more! You guys rock!

Ensign
Dec 02, 2014
Howdy, guys!

i'll add you meet me
on skull island in
buccaneer class trainer
under realm deacon
my name on the game is little Chris Hawkins's
I'll be there on July the 11 around 7:00pm maybe a little late

for your questions here the answers

1 crown shop pets are as good as any pet you can get from battle but it easier to get them there they just start out what level you are to make a good pet you wanna morph your pets.

2 i say ship gear xp boost or a weapon

3 i say try not to get up close to your enemy s because your best at far away combat

4 i say get the healing talents from privateer school then once you got the healing i say focuse mainly on because your class and there class runs on the same thing and boost on the same thing

5 yes if you get it at max

6 any of them they all have skill set your just have to figgure out your playing style

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Welcome to the message boards!

To answer you questions,

Since you'll be getting your own pet later on, I say all pets are the same. It doesn't really matter what their stats are (to me). If you like the pets in the Crown Shop, go right ahead and buy them, or morph with someone who has it already.

Spend your crowns on Grizzly Beast Packs(it's worth those companions!) and some crown shop companions, or areas if you're not a member.

You're a Musketeer! It's my favorite class.
I say, keep your weapon type to shooty, or shooty/stabby combos. Since you will be benefitting from agility, focus on these weapon types.
You'll get some very good companions at the beginning of the game. I'd use Bonnie, Louis, and Chantal. They really are a powerful trio.

Good Luck, and Fair sailing to ye!

-Black Wolf Bowman Level 65
-Loyal Zane Bowman Level 65
-Able Anna Urswick Level 23

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Howdy, guys!

Howdy Beso4ever!

Before I begin, welcome to the Message Boards and Pirate101!

1. Personally, I don't worry about my pet too much. If you really want one, you'll get a pet during any questing you do. I personally have gotten at least 4 or 5. There's one I got from the 4th world, called Cool Ranch, that I use still as a max. However, I'm not a pet master by any stretch of the definition. I haven't ever morphed once.

2.Hmm, I'd say a mount. You could chance it with packs, but I spent my first crowns on a ki-ren mount(which I still use). Still, there's some cool stuff to get from packs if you don't get a mount(I got a companions after just one pack, but it's complete chance keep in mind).

3. I don't know musketeer too well. I do a musketeer with my brother(who uses a buccaneer) but it's at level 29, so take my advice with a grain of salt. If you've read guides, then I'm likely not telling you anything new. Keep the enemy a good distance from you. You can hold the enemy back with companions while you shoot them. On the chance they get past your companions, focus attention to him. Also, this is just advice in general, it's better to attack one unit with too many companions, then not enough.

4. I'd probably do tough from buccaneer and walk in shadows from swashbuckler. Rouse and light armor are good to get first though.

5. No. Absolutely no. You'll get better weapons just playing the game. I've NEVER, for any reason, had to buy a weapon from the crown shop. Imo, it's not worth it.

6. This is a nice and controversial opinion. Some people say swashbuckler is over powered. Honestly, I don't think there is a best class, just people who know how to use their class effectively. PvP will be getting a revamp soon, as Blixet said.

Hope I could help you!

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65(swashbuckler)

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Welcome to Pirate101 Beso, and to the message boards!

1. Crownshop pets would not be my first choice if Crowns are limited - unless you really see one you like. You can obtain them indirectly by morphing one of your pets with someone else's Crownshop pet (there is no guarantee you are going to hit the CS pet the first time, of course). When you morph two pets together there is a tendency for the better (more "rare") abilities to transfer to the new pet, so that is how you build a more powerful pet over time.

2. I recommend companions. Pets will soon be replaced by better ones if you do much morphing. Gear, ship equipment, etc. you buy at a fixed level so unless you wait and buy the maxed version, you will likely be replacing it in 10 levels or so (although it can be passed to a lower-level pirate on your account, if you create one). Similarly, buying a crown ship means you have a nice ship for a few levels, but you will soon outgrow it (and unlike gear, you cannot currently pass a ship from one pirate to another). The two card packs (the Tribal Crew and Grizzly Beasts packs) have some really nice stuff as potential rewards, but are random and the best stuff is rare... very, very rare. Companions come at a set level when you buy them (slightly higher than your pirate) but they will continue to level with you as you progress through the game and become a higher-level pirate yourself, as long as you train them with the companion training points you receive every time you level up and sometimes from quests. In short, of all the Crown Shop items, the companions are the one thing you will never outgrow.

-Indigo

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
3. My Muskies tend to hang back behind a screen of melee companions and attack from a distance. Some Muskies like to cross train with melee skills, take a shooty/slashy (etc.) combo weapon and wade into the brawl. I like holding back. Muskies have limited healing ability, and if you are using it to keep yourself in the fight, your crew are being neglected.

4. Musketeers don't receive healing as part of their class skill set, although you can pick up some healing from cross-training, as you have already done. So, items and/or pets that give you healing are a Good Thing. Similarly, I like things that make me extra dodgy to avoid damage in the first place. Any bonus to Agility will mean you do more damage and you will have more chance of critical hit results.

5. The Crown Shop weapons are nice for their level, but again they don't improve as you do and will soon be left behind. My first couple of pirates sometimes invested in them, but I decided fairly quickly they were not the best use of crowns (unless you wait and buy the most powerful version... although they will become outclassed once the level caps are raised). There are some nice weapons you can "farm" for if you know where to look. One bit of sad news: one of the best weapons for musketeers mid-game are the peacemaker pistols, which you receive as the result of a quest - which musketeers never receive! If your musky wants a set, you will have to level up another pirate to obtain them and then pass them over.

6. I have no idea - I ignore the whole PVP thing.

Good hunting, pirate! See you in the Skyways,

-Indigo

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Chrissy Th'Blesser said: "Have fun blowing things up, I love it."

Different kind of blessing than I was thinking of, certainly.

I quite enjoyed my musketeers; they're a lot of fun. As everyone has said, don't spend your crowns on good gear until you're a bit higher level, unless you think you're going to be running a bunch of muskies, and frankly, all the classes are fun to run.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Quoting myself from earlier: " In short, of all the Crown Shop items, the companions are the one thing you will never outgrow."

Firemorgan13 promptly invalidated my observation, correctly pointing out that mounts are quite handy - and you never outgrow one.

-Indigo

Ensign
Jul 06, 2015
@King Leo
Thanks! So, what's your timezone?

@Captainblackwolf
Yep, I love musketeers so far!

@Firemorgan
I'll just save em for later on ;)

@Indigo ring
But if we take, for instance, the level 65 swivel gun...Is it worth it?

@Fiorenza
Yep, that's probably what I'm gonna do :P

Thanks again, guys!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I have two level 65 musketeers, and neither use the crown shop swivel gun. Silver Roslyn is using Armada Blasters, which are probably a little weaker: 11 points less damage and does not give the bomb card (Rain of Mortershells"), but does add +10 to accuracy. Chase Nichols has a better weapon, a shooty/staffy Staff of Power from the Tower of Moo Manchu, which does slightly more damage than the swivel gun and boosts his agility slightly and gives a "Suppression Fire" team epic card instead of the bombs. All three of these weapons have the same range.

While the max level swivel gun is slightly better than Roslyn's Armada Blasters, I don't feel it is enough better to justify spending 5,500 crowns on it.

-Indigo

Ensign
Dec 02, 2014
@King Leo
Thanks! So, what's your timezone?

@Captainblackwolf
Yep, I love musketeers so far!

@Firemorgan
I'll just save em for later on ;)

@Indigo ring
But if we take, for instance, the level 65 swivel gun...Is it worth it?

@Fiorenza
Yep, that's probably what I'm gonna do :P

Thanks again, guys!
the time zone is Colorado

Ensign
Aug 09, 2013
As always, i'm a little late to the party.. :P

And welcome to the forums! I hope you have a great time here.

1 - I'd say no... I've found that a few of them can be obtained from just fighting some bosses in game, so buying them isn't really worth it unless you like how they look.

2 - I'd have to say the Tribal Crew Pack and the Grizzly Bear Booster Pack, both are chock-full of greats things that help quite a lot, gear, weapons, pets, companions, etc.

3 - As someone who started with a musketeer and got all the way to the end with her, I think I can help here. :P Musketeers have pretty high average attack and health and might require a bit more strategy than the other classes if you play solo, since you have to plan out where the enemies are gonna go and place traps the to slow them down or kill them faster. And since Musketeers get the most companions, It's usually a good idea to just hang back and let the enemies come to you, shooting from afar and using any melee companions to block the enemies.

4 - Yeah, i'd say go down the Privateer path and then down the Swashbuckler path until you get "Hidden in Darkness" (I think), and then Witchdoctor, for more ranged attacks.

5 - I honestly don't know, i've never bought any of those weapons...

6 - I don't PvP, at all, can't help here. :P

Also, I'd like to add ya, in case you ever need any help from me, I can meet you on my Musketeer just outside Avery's house Deacon realm at say 8:00 PM EST? Her name's "Clever Brianna Quinn". :)

Ensign
Jul 06, 2015
@King Leo
Alright, I'll see you then :)

@Indigo
Hmm, I see. It seems I'd better not be wasting my crowns on it. Thanks for the tip :)

@SlyZenobia
Haha, I don't think you were late or anything :P Thanks for welcoming me :D
I have already tried my luck with 4 tribal packs...but...Guess I wasn't lucky enough haha xD The only thing I got was a treasure worth 7k, the rest were not so good. Oh, and yeah, I would be more than happy to meet you ingame! Thanks a bunch!

Ensign
Jul 06, 2015
@King Leo
Oh, dang! I don't know, I may not be up at that time. It will be 7 AM here xD Anyways, we can always reschedule that because I don't want to waste your time or something. My IGN is Jack Burke, by the way.