Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

History

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 26, 2012
History is interesting. Not just the politics and the wars, but the economies, cultures, and traditions of people around the world. Now, here in Pirate101, there are references aplenty to all sorts of history. I know that we all know the big ideas(the multiple worlds representing a synthesis of cultures and etc.), but can we see all the smaller stuff that the Pirate101 team has incorporated into the game? I'm talking small things like an in game reference to a movie from the 80's, and such (plenty of those in Cool Ranch).

Here's the challenge: name one subtle thing you noticed in the game that relates to history - any kind of history (anything that happened in the past and present)!

To start off, I'll give a not-so-subtle example: the DBZ reference with the Turtle Balls in Mooshu. In my opinion, Japanese anime is awesome, and I'm sure many of you feel so too.
Let the challenge begin!

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
How about Admiral Nelson, and the battle in Trafalgar Vortex? Unless I am Severely Mistaken, there is a Statue of an Admiral Nelson in A certain Trafalgar Square in the Real World.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Rasenshruiken on Jul 2, 2015 wrote:
History is interesting. Not just the politics and the wars, but the economies, cultures, and traditions of people around the world. Now, here in Pirate101, there are references aplenty to all sorts of history. I know that we all know the big ideas(the multiple worlds representing a synthesis of cultures and etc.), but can we see all the smaller stuff that the Pirate101 team has incorporated into the game? I'm talking small things like an in game reference to a movie from the 80's, and such (plenty of those in Cool Ranch).

Here's the challenge: name one subtle thing you noticed in the game that relates to history - any kind of history (anything that happened in the past and present)!

To start off, I'll give a not-so-subtle example: the DBZ reference with the Turtle Balls in Mooshu. In my opinion, Japanese anime is awesome, and I'm sure many of you feel so too.
Let the challenge begin!
The Prospector Zeke quest in Marleybone has you hunting for the Rolling Stones. Well done KI.

Good question.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Not only are there history puns, there are plenty of food puns. Here are a couple:

Tyson- he's a chicken. Tyson's is a real restaurant that serves chicken

Blind Mew has said Louis Le Bisque's name comes from two crab dishes: Crab Louis and Crab Bisque.

Also the War Between the Flocks might be a reference to the Civil War, as the Union is mentioned a few times.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Jul 2, 2015 wrote:
Not only are there history puns, there are plenty of food puns. Here are a couple:

Tyson- he's a chicken. Tyson's is a real restaurant that serves chicken

Blind Mew has said Louis Le Bisque's name comes from two crab dishes: Crab Louis and Crab Bisque.

Also the War Between the Flocks might be a reference to the Civil War, as the Union is mentioned a few times.
Mike Tyson is a boxer, too

Ensign
Mar 20, 2010
FireMorgan13 on Jul 2, 2015 wrote:
The Prospector Zeke quest in Marleybone has you hunting for the Rolling Stones. Well done KI.

Good question.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65
All of the Zeke quests from both games are named after bands. The Smiths, Blue Oyster Cult, the Gypsy Kings...

I noticed one very subtle one that I hope is a reference to Tamora Pierce's Provost's Dog books. In Scrimshaw - after you defeat English Bill and are looking for Mustang Sally - there is a rat with information on Sally's job called Rosco Ratso. The Rat of Corus (a position akin to a thief lord) in the Provost's Dog books is named Rosco. I was thrilled to see this reference, though it might be unintentional.

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
Rasenshruiken on Jul 2, 2015 wrote:

Let the challenge begin!
Someone at KI must love Robert Louis Stevenson.

The tavern in the isle of dogs is called the admiral's benbow

There is a side quest in skull island where you have to fight bobby bones. (billy bones)

There is a side quest in Marleybone called Kidnapped where you have to help David Balfour.

The tavern in Flotsam is called the Black Spot.

And our favorite blind cat, Blind Mew. (Blind Pew).

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
Darkwillow Rushidi on Jul 6, 2015 wrote:
All of the Zeke quests from both games are named after bands. The Smiths, Blue Oyster Cult, the Gypsy Kings...

I noticed one very subtle one that I hope is a reference to Tamora Pierce's Provost's Dog books. In Scrimshaw - after you defeat English Bill and are looking for Mustang Sally - there is a rat with information on Sally's job called Rosco Ratso. The Rat of Corus (a position akin to a thief lord) in the Provost's Dog books is named Rosco. I was thrilled to see this reference, though it might be unintentional.
I love Tamora Pierce and I am literally in the middle of re-reading that series. However, the character you are referring to is Rosto, and he is the Rogue of Corus. "Rat" is the term the book uses for criminals in general. I'm not sure that it's a reference on Kingsisle's part. It's nice to hear from someone else who reads those books though.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Fearless Finnagan on Jul 9, 2015 wrote:
Someone at KI must love Robert Louis Stevenson.

The tavern in the isle of dogs is called the admiral's benbow

There is a side quest in skull island where you have to fight bobby bones. (billy bones)

There is a side quest in Marleybone called Kidnapped where you have to help David Balfour.

The tavern in Flotsam is called the Black Spot.

And our favorite blind cat, Blind Mew. (Blind Pew).
The inn in Treasure Island was called The Admiral Benbow ( a person ) Though Ratbeard calls it the Admiral's Elbow.
Someone must like Herman Melville, too, sense we have a Captain Ahab ( Moby Dick ) and in Miranda we meet Bosun Budd ( Billy Budd )

Ensign
Jan 12, 2012
There are a few references from The Princess Bride.
Catbeard says in Book 8: "I'm hiring you to start a war. It's a prestigious line of work with a long and glorious tradition."
In Ratbeard's second promotion quest he says: "My name's Ratbeard. You killed me father! Prepare to die!"
Then of course there's the new shrieking eel pet.
Also, I'm not sure if this is in game or not, but I remember someone asking Blind Mew why Lucky Jack Russell wore a mask, and Mew replying: "He just thinks that they're terribly comfortable. In the future, everyone will be wearing them."