Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Cultural Inspirations

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Just like the real world, the Spiral is ever full of wondrous cultures and wondrous creatures, and I believe some of these people could very easily be traced to real-world cultures and countries, so I created this post to try and guess which characters were based off of which culture. I may leave out a few species [like Sloths] because I either forgot them or have no clue. Regardless, I hope you enjoy! Please feel free to add your own guesses.

Skull Island
Sharks- Australian [cutthroats], Carribean [Threshers, Mordekai]
Water Moles- Hawaiian Tribes
Wharf Rats- Unknown, but maybe a bit of Italian based off of Milo's Crit Music
Pelicans- Bostonians, due to their market being centered around fish and trade, and living on a whale as well as selling chowder.
Crabs [only SI crabs]- North Eastern US, because of their accents
Jackrabbits- Irish, because of accents
Tree Frogs/Troggies- Unknown :(

Monquista
The Monkeys [of course ] - Spain

Valencia
Unicorns- Renaissance Italians
Guinea Pigs- Renaissance Italians
Crabs- Renaissance Italians, with the exception of Birgus Latro and Louis LeBisque, who are respectively based off of a New Yorker and a Frenchman.
The Armada- I honestly don't want to say who I think this is, because calling them a culture would be an insult, as they were a party centered around prejudice and hate.

Cool Ranch (this one's a doozy)
Chickens, Ducks, Cranes, and Peacocks- Pioneers from the East
Bison and Buffalo- Native Americans
Mustangs- Wild-West-era Mexico
Frogs- Mexican Federales
Serena Gutierrez- Oh hey it's Selena Gomez! Cool!
Captain Blood- Himself
Jim and Bat Masterson- Vampires!

MooShu-
Pigs- Ninjas and Bandits [fun fact: Inoshishi are literally wild boards!]
Goats- Feudal-Japanese Citizens
Geese- Monks
Cranes- Monks
Sheep- Citizens
Cows- Samurai
Horses- Mongolians [Subodai is actually based off of famous Mongolian strategist Subutai!]
Yaks- The Yakuza

Marleybone-
Dogs- Victorian England Upper Class
Cats- Victorian England Middle Class
Foxes- Scotland and Victorian England Lower Class
Frogs- Victorian England Lower-to-Mid Class, with The Frogfather based off of The Godfather

Aquila-
Eagles- Ancient Greeks
Vultures- Roman raiders
Snakes- Trojans
Mythological Creatures- Themselves :3
Hippocrates- Himself :)

Other Worlds-
Penguins- The French during the French revolution
Polar Bears- Russians

I hope you enjoyed this! If something seems culturally insensitive for ANY reason whatsoever, please let me know right away because this was certainly not the intention of this post. I just wanted to showcase the awesome variety of different cultures in this game, and the amazing job the writers did in implementing all these spectacular characters. Thank you very much for reading this and as always I hope you have a fantastic week!

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Polywogger