Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Crown shop companions can't be gifted?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 30, 2013
Ahoy!
This question is for a KI employee: Can you PLEASE allow us to gift companions? I can't see a good reason for why can't we gift them. It depends on whether the person who's gifting wants it or not, and begging has always been there and can be ignored. I would LOVE to see the answer I want.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Mindy GoldenHeart on May 28, 2015 wrote:
Ahoy!
This question is for a KI employee: Can you PLEASE allow us to gift companions? I can't see a good reason for why can't we gift them. It depends on whether the person who's gifting wants it or not, and begging has always been there and can be ignored. I would LOVE to see the answer I want.
I imagine that the actual reason is that it would be a pain to program. Many companions are given to certain classes only, such as Tonka, and because you cannot have 2 of the same companion, gifting it to them would be a disaster. You also have to think about how this might cause spoilers in the story, such as you would not want to gift someone like Jane Canery, as you then will learn that you will be getting the Mag 7 as companions or if you get. And then there is the fact that this could unbalance the game a little. Many of the updated companions start by getting a large amount of epics that could unbalance a player, for instance could you imagine if someone started off the game with say, Argos? And what happens if someone gifts you a companion you already bought? There are just so many variables that must be accounted for that programming it in would take a lot of work, and frankly I would hope that that work was put into the next update.

TLDR: There are a lot of reasons mainly involving programming.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
I am not a KI employee but I suspect that you will be disappointed in their answer. The reason is that for a gift must be able to be used by an account but a Companion can only be used by a Pirate that has gone far enough in the game to unlock that Companion in the Crown Shop. Since a gift by definition can be used by any Pirate in the account accepting the gift, that makes it incompatible with being able to gift it. I guess they could block that particular gift from being used by a certain Pirate who wasn't far enough along in the game but the way it is set up now you can't gift Companions. Just like you can't transfer Companions among your Pirates for what I suspect are the same reasons.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
If you really want to gift a friend a companion, why not buy them a few packs? There is a chance that your friend will get an awesome companion from either the Tribal or Beast packs; and since they are less expensive than a crown shop companion, you can give them more than one.

Ensign
Jun 30, 2013
anecorbie on May 29, 2015 wrote:
If you really want to gift a friend a companion, why not buy them a few packs? There is a chance that your friend will get an awesome companion from either the Tribal or Beast packs; and since they are less expensive than a crown shop companion, you can give them more than one.
Ahoy!
Actually, my sister did that a week ago, and I received Ghor from the first pack. Furthermore, she tried to get a bear like I did, and purchased about 20 packs that we were barely able to afford to buy the crowns for, and got nothing. You see, sometimes it can be very much cheaper, and sometimes very much more expensive, and we really aren't that rich to afford tens of packs that aren't any helpful.
See ya all in the spiral!
-Brave Mindy Sharp-
Note: You can call me Cap'n Sharp.