Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Floating Islands

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 26, 2014
is there an explanation to why the islands float in the game?

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
ArmoredBuccaneer on Apr 11, 2015 wrote:
I'm sure that Anne Radcliffe and Anecorbie have probably already answered this. We've been speculating on what makes islands and ships float for a while now.

The islands may be floating for a variety of reasons, it could be from a substance called Aether, or it could be caused by gravitational anomalies, or knowing the spiral it could simply be caused by magic. However, I prefer things to make sense in a nice logical way, even if it's game about pirates in The Spiral. So let's say it's something other than magic. There are a few reasons for this.

1) Only larger islands remain floating, smaller islets such as those seen in Aquila tend to bob up and down. As if the smaller islets can float, but just barely.

2)Broken ships sink. When a ship is damaged to the point that it breaks apart, it sinks, suggesting that the ships' size, shape, or something else determines if the ship will float or not.

3)Some being made objects don't float. Bestia is carried on the back of Atlas, and flying eagle. This does suggest that Bestia cannot float on it's own. Also Flotsam requires a large number of broken ships to stay afloat.

4)small animals such as sky gar, appear to need wings in order to stay in the sky. The only exception appears to be squid, and lighting sharks.

To me this suggests that there is something in the air that allows objects of certain size and shape to float. This suggests either aether or gravitational anomalies, possibly causes by the spinning of the Spiral.

I'll need to make a second post to explain further, I'm running out of characters to type.

Petty Officer
Aug 30, 2014
Ahoy!

I think the air takes place for water in Pirate101 because ships sail in the air. So if ships sail in the air, islands in Pirate101 should float too.

--This is my opinion. If you want to look further, go to Pirate101 central wiki or any pirate101 websites.

Erin

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
I suspect it is the same reason that our ships appear to float. Just call it magic or a natural phenomenon.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
I don't believe there is in the game. Slightly off topic, but here is a theory I have been thinking about:
What if the actual "ground" in the game is a large collection of a highly magnetic metal, which results in a magnetic force that is pushing the island away from the ground, while gravity pulls them in, resulting in them floating? Then el dorado could be a large patch of gold, which because it is not magnetic is a way to get down to the surface of the planet? Or maybe because of the spherical way the worlds are shaped, everything is being pulled away from the center of the vacuum of space, while the gravity of a planet in the middle of the world is holding us in? Just speculation though. I don't think we have any concrete evidence on how it happens.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
There is a theory, put forth by Virtuous Anne Radcliffe that the islands and our ships are supported by an element called aether. I think its also this but also a combination of light, less dense wood and magic ( for our ships ).