Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

King of Marleybone

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
We all know that Marleybone has a queen. She is the most royal person in the empire, but what about a king? Without a king you cant call a person a queen. Did he die in the Polarian War? Get eaten by a sky squid? The story never mentions it but there must of have been one.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ryanbold2 on Feb 14, 2015 wrote:
We all know that Marleybone has a queen. She is the most royal person in the empire, but what about a king? Without a king you cant call a person a queen. Did he die in the Polarian War? Get eaten by a sky squid? The story never mentions it but there must of have been one.
I don't know whether to smile or cry at this comment: "Without a king, you can't call a person a queen."
Since Marleybone is modeled on Britain during the mid to late 19th century; the Queen of Marleybone is based on Queen Victoria. It's true she was married at one time BUT she was Queen by right of succession and her husband became King by marrying her.
Also there have been many famous female rulers, who ruled without a man at their side; notably Queen Hapsphetet ( sorry don't know exactly how to spell her name ) of ancient Egypt and Queen Elizabeth I of England 1558-1603.

Lieutenant
Feb 14, 2014
Well, actually you can call a woman a "Queen" even without a king. It's about the royal blood line. It's not just prince after prince after prince, there are princesses to who then become queen, regardless of marriage. And as for the King of Marleybone, either there was a king, or it was the royal blood line that put the Queen of Marleybone on the throne. And if there are more than one prince or princess born, the first born will assume the throne first.

Catherine Reade- Lvl 53 Witchdoctor.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Ryanbold2 on Feb 14, 2015 wrote:
Yay, something I can answer, (since I'm Canadian)

The Marleybonean Royal lineage is based off of England's Royal Lineage. So yes, in Marleybone/England there can very well be a Queen without a King. Currently, England (and the commonwealth) is ruled by Queen Elisabeth II. Queen Elisabeth does have a husband, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

Now, a King always has a position above the Queen. So, when the throne passes to the King's Daughter (as it did for Queen Elisabeth, and Queen Victoria) that princess then becomes the Queen, however, her husband who is not of royal blood only becomes a prince. This is done so that the throne stays within the proper blood line.

So, if the heir to the throne is a male, then he becomes King, and his wife becomes Queen, but if the heir is female, then she becomes Queen, and her husband becomes a Prince.

Basically, only the Royal blood line are given Royal titles, for example, Prince William's wife is not officially known as a Princess, her titles are actually, Katherine Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn.

So, in Marleybone, the Queen is Queen Victoria, her husband, would then be Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

Ensign
Dec 19, 2010
Well if her parents only had her (a daughter) and the parents died the daughter now a queen would only be left. This is assuming she didn't marry. So there might not be a king in her love life right now. ;D

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
I guess I should correct myself when I said there needs to be a king to be called a queen, but I wonder if there was a king?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
CdeWinter has already explained excellently the model of the English royal system, which Marleybone playfully acknowledges, although if I remember correctly from Wizard, I think the Marleybonean Queen's name is 'Ellen'.

But, this being Marleybone, we don't know precisely how inheritance works. Is it primogeniture (eldest child is the heir) favoring males, like many historic monarchies? This would mean that you could have five girls older than their little brother, but the brother still gets to be the ruler. (And boy, can you tell from historic portraits, with the boy in the portrait decked out the most fancily, how true that is.). Or is it strict primogeniture, where the eldest child of either gender is the heir (and the rest of the siblings follow in their order)? If this were the case, Queen Ellen might have numerous younger siblings, probably titled as dukes and duchesses. Or does the ruler of Marleybone get elected by a council of nobles, like the old Anglo-Saxon way? No idea. But however she got there, the Queen is the ruler of Marleybone in the contemporary world of both Wizard and Pirate.

She doesn't have to be married to be the queen. Certainly Queen Elizabeth I never was. If she is queen in her own right, and married, then her husband is her 'Prince Consort' or 'King Consort'. King Philip of Spain never got over finding out that when he married Queen Mary (Henry VIII's eldest daughter) that he did not become King of England, but rather Mary's King Consort, which gave him a lot less money, power, and influence than he had expected to fall into his lap. Which is just as well, since King Philip of Spain was not exactly Mr. Popularity in England and had he real power, there likely would have been a massive uprising right there and then.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Well...Marleybone is modeled off of England,so...

Traditionally,if you were the Monarch of England,the crown was on your head because you had the bigger army.Someone with a bigger one could just come and take it off your head.As time marched on the world grew less violent(well...uh...kinda...),rules were issued to make sure who was to get the crown,named the 1701 rules,not surprisingly,in 1701.

CdeWinter,Anne Radcliffe,and quite a couple of others here have given far more detail than I ever could,but the three main rules in the 1701 rules are:No Catholics,No illegitimate children,and Male Primogeniture.If you're a Catholic,or have illegitimate children(or both),the Crown has a nice term,called ''naturally dead'' to refer to you and your lack of right to the throne.So,obviously,to become a queen,you'd have to be the daughter of a king and queen who do not have a son.

Esperanza mentioned Queen Elisabeth the First,who ruled before these rules were made,and indeed,she was a brilliant monarch,who refused to marry,since she saw it as not only her right,but her responsibility to take care of England.

And as has been said by Esperanza as well,Marleybone is based on a much later England,and this is backed up by Blind Mew(who at some point said they won't make a Shakespearre character simply because Marleybone is based on a much later period),so Marleybone is far more Victorian(19th century) than Elisabethan.

So,there doesn't have to be a King behind each Queen,even in this time of history(the male primogeniture rule only applies if there is a male primogeniture,if not then it's just primogeniture),so...is there a King?There doesn't have to be one,but is there?

WHat do you guys think?

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2012
anecorbie on Feb 15, 2015 wrote:
I don't know whether to smile or cry at this comment: "Without a king, you can't call a person a queen."
Since Marleybone is modeled on Britain during the mid to late 19th century; the Queen of Marleybone is based on Queen Victoria. It's true she was married at one time BUT she was Queen by right of succession and her husband became King by marrying her.
Also there have been many famous female rulers, who ruled without a man at their side; notably Queen Hapsphetet ( sorry don't know exactly how to spell her name ) of ancient Egypt and Queen Elizabeth I of England 1558-1603.
Hapsphetet (I tried spelling) was the regent of a young to be pharaoh him being to young to rule by himself but she stole the throne and wouldn't give it back even when he was of age, she later died of an unknown death.