Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Armada chess formation

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
Has anyone else noticed the way the armada elite court seems to be arranged in a chess pattern?

Think about it. There's Rook the big, stocky, frontal assault type of guy. Then there is the chess piece, the Rook aka the castle, a big, stocky, frontal assault type of piece. That can't be a coincidence. Can it? Still don't believe me? What about Bishop? a master strategist, who often nabs his enemies at unexpected angles. Just like the chess piece which nabs the enemy at unexpected angles (diagonally) . Then there is Deacon the spymaster, who being who he is, has a habit of sneaking past enemy lines and being away from his own lines when you least expect it. Pretty coincidental that the knight can hop over pieces and sneak past your defences and move away from his own line isn't it? Ok I admit it is a little bit of a stretch but a thought quite hard about what they have in common and that's what I came up with alright? As for the name it's a bit obvious calling him knight isn't it? So um now then...
There that's better . Anyway the mysterious Armada Queen probably represents the chess Queen possibly moving things in the background, possibly hasn't been played yet. we may very well find out soon. Then there is Kane himself the obvious king. Doesn't do much except stay alive. When he topples the army topples just like in chess (although I admit one theory to topple mine is when Avery says he's "faster, smarter and stronger than any living person" of course those r just rumors) the clockwork soldiers prob represent the pawns for obvious reasons. The only thing that stands out is Phule. Perhaps since his mask is white and black (like the colours of the 2 teams of chess) he is playing a massive chess game against his split personalities, one of the Armada one of your pirate and your allies. Who knows maybe he's so preoccupied with his game that the armada aren't planning to invade wizard city. Or r they? (oooooo plot twist )
Thank you that is all and good bye.

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Grin Reaper on Oct 11, 2014 wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the way the armada elite court seems to be arranged in a chess pattern?

Think about it. There's Rook the big, stocky, frontal assault type of guy. Then there is the chess piece, the Rook aka the castle, a big, stocky, frontal assault type of piece. That can't be a coincidence. Can it? Still don't believe me? What about Bishop? a master strategist, who often nabs his enemies at unexpected angles. Just like the chess piece which nabs the enemy at unexpected angles (diagonally) . Then there is Deacon the spymaster, who being who he is, has a habit of sneaking past enemy lines and being away from his own lines when you least expect it. Pretty coincidental that the knight can hop over pieces and sneak past your defences and move away from his own line isn't it? Ok I admit it is a little bit of a stretch but a thought quite hard about what they have in common and that's what I came up with alright? As for the name it's a bit obvious calling him knight isn't it? So um now then...
There that's better . Anyway the mysterious Armada Queen probably represents the chess Queen possibly moving things in the background, possibly hasn't been played yet. we may very well find out soon. Then there is Kane himself the obvious king. Doesn't do much except stay alive. When he topples the army topples just like in chess (although I admit one theory to topple mine is when Avery says he's "faster, smarter and stronger than any living person" of course those r just rumors) the clockwork soldiers prob represent the pawns for obvious reasons. The only thing that stands out is Phule. Perhaps since his mask is white and black (like the colours of the 2 teams of chess) he is playing a massive chess game against his split personalities, one of the Armada one of your pirate and your allies. Who knows maybe he's so preoccupied with his game that the armada aren't planning to invade wizard city. Or r they? (oooooo plot twist )
I would like to point out that there's a version of chess called 'Jester Chess'. I t is played on a 10 by 10 square board, with an extra piece called the jester ( a synonym for fool ). The Jester piece doesn't have an assigned movement, it mimics the move of a previously played piece.
Deacon, in my opinion, wasn't a knight, but a bishop and he was sacrificed early in the game.
The Lady Elite ( whom I call Dame or Milady ) is the knight and a swashbuckler. For my reasons, look at my post titled "Speculations on the Armada".

Ensign
Apr 06, 2014
Developer
626Eanostman123 on Oct 17, 2014 wrote:
i don't know how to play chess so yea.
You should learn. It is one of the essential Life Skills.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Ratbeard on Oct 17, 2014 wrote:
I totally agree here. Chess is one of those games that is easy to learn but takes a lifetime to master.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
anecorbie on Oct 12, 2014 wrote:
I would like to point out that there's a version of chess called 'Jester Chess'. I t is played on a 10 by 10 square board, with an extra piece called the jester ( a synonym for fool ). The Jester piece doesn't have an assigned movement, it mimics the move of a previously played piece.
Deacon, in my opinion, wasn't a knight, but a bishop and he was sacrificed early in the game.
The Lady Elite ( whom I call Dame or Milady ) is the knight and a swashbuckler. For my reasons, look at my post titled "Speculations on the Armada".
Hmmm. I didn't know that. It would make sense however. But you have got to remember I'm basing this off of names (Bishop, Rook, etc). I was simply speculating on the fact that the 2 sides of Phule's mask is white and black just like the two sides. Also why is Deacon a bishop? I'm not denying your opinion, but I'm honestly curious. thanks for the post, and I hope to see an answer soon. Goodbye

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
anecorbie on Oct 12, 2014 wrote:
Um. I can't seem to find your post. I would love to find your reasons but I just can't find it. thanks.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Grin Reaper on Oct 19, 2014 wrote:
Um. I can't seem to find your post. I would love to find your reasons but I just can't find it. thanks.
It's titled Speculations on the Armada, as far as I know it hasn't been removed. or try a search using my message board name - anecorbie ; time wise - within six months

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
anecorbie on Oct 19, 2014 wrote:
It's titled Speculations on the Armada, as far as I know it hasn't been removed. or try a search using my message board name - anecorbie ; time wise - within six months
Ok found the post. I just don't know where the actual comment involving Deacon being a bishop is. And there are literally 7 pages, each quite long. I don't want to search through all that. So would help me out? Thanks

-The Grin Reaper.

P.s I went as The GriM Reaper for Halloween. What did you go as?

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
Ratbeard on Oct 17, 2014 wrote:
I get better at chess against my dad each time I try. When he said he wanted to go easy on me I said no don't hold back because of the reason I just said. I also used P101/W101 boss fights as an analogy: they don't hold back, and I get better each time I play against them. So there's that.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Grin Reaper on Oct 31, 2014 wrote:
Ok found the post. I just don't know where the actual comment involving Deacon being a bishop is. And there are literally 7 pages, each quite long. I don't want to search through all that. So would help me out? Thanks

-The Grin Reaper.

P.s I went as The GriM Reaper for Halloween. What did you go as?
I thought you were more interested in my speculations on Queen/Dame/Milady AKA the Lady Elite. I don't care any more about Deacon, because he's been destroyed and is out of the game ( unless, he gets revived, which is always possible ).

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
The Grin Reaper on Oct 11, 2014 wrote:

Um. Something else. The chess game that Phule is playing probably started at the beginning of the Polarian war. Before the the Armada happened. If you know of The Professor from the five boxes event in W101 then you know what the meaning of the words I'm about to speak. It's entirely possible that The Professor or even The Maestro brought Phule back in time for some reason, where he started the chess game. Maybe? Just something that occurred to me.

Bye now. The Grin Reaper

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Kind of makes sense. Kane being the king as he controls the whole Armada, I think he is the strongest piece because he commands every other piece and the result of the battle rests in his hands, the King is yet to play in the game. Desdemona(?) being the queen, who is yet to be played, probably going to be a powerful piece of the game and fight alongside Kane? Deacon being the knight as he seems to get to different places without anyone knowing, he almost hops over every square, if you will. Bishop, who uses ranged attacks and almost magic-like, takes a different angle from the members of the Armada, working close beside Rooke. Rooke being the Castle or the Rook, he is a tank, he is powerful and wields allot of armour, a powerful piece in the game as an upside down Rook can be deemed a Queen(not saying that Rooke could be the Queen... just saying that he can have similar strength to the Queen). Phule being the Jester, as Anercobie stated, mimicking the movements of the Pirate, Phule is in random places we go to and he knows what we were, are and will be doing but hasn't actually been played yet either. Armada members being the Pawn, although Pawns can become Rooks, Bishops, Knights or Queens when they have reached the enemy's side of the board, showing that the Pawns in the game can be just as lethal if you slip up. It does seem like a chess game, if you beat the King, game over, but I have a sneaking suspicion about the Queen, since we know nothing about her, not even her name. As for the Pirate's side, the Pirate is the King who moves all his pieces, the Companions are the different classes, either being strong and lethal(Buccaneers), attackers from a different angle(Musketeers and Witchdoctors), pieces that hop over obstacles(Swashbucklers), the Queen kind of being the First Mate who fights alongside the King and Pawns are Privateers because they can rise up to be stronger than any other piece and they provide support for their side(Pawns are just as strong).

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
anecorbie on Oct 31, 2014 wrote:
I thought you were more interested in my speculations on Queen/Dame/Milady AKA the Lady Elite. I don't care any more about Deacon, because he's been destroyed and is out of the game ( unless, he gets revived, which is always possible ).
yeah but isn't chess all about positioning, and often sacrificing pieces to get said positioning? I think that's how deacon truly got killed. He was sacrificed for a better position!

Lieutenant
Feb 15, 2014
Gunner's Mate
Dec 31, 2009
Here are the speculations I've had on the clockworks and their chess counterparts since around this time last year:

Kane - Quite obviously the king. Head of the operation, he's likely the most important piece to take out in order to gain power for the pirates of the spiral. In chess, taking out the king wins you the game.

'Milady' - Firstly, I love that name. Who was it that came up with it...Anne? Ah, well, that fact leaves me. Milady has been rumored to be very powerful indeed, and I wouldn't doubt that at all, since she (by force of elimination, if not anything else) seems to be the queen. I truly fear her wrath.

Bishop - Noble Tyler Strong, I here commend your wordplay. Bishop does indeed take a different angle on attacking, and that even contributes to his obvious counterpart as a bishop of the chess formation.

Rooke - In chess, a rook piece is a tower, symbolizing a force of defense. This is definitely embodied in Rooke, who is the tank of the Armada.

Phule - Take a guess. Just take one... Phule's a bishop! One can say that Phule as well has a slightly different angle of operation, but the real kicker is in his name. The word fou in French, translated to fool in English, references to the split in the bishop piece's cap. Not only is Phule's name a play on the English translation, but he also wears a split jester's cap.

Deacon - Aniecorbie, I have concluded that Deacon is both knight and bishop. Also called a Princess or an Archbishop, a Deacon piece in chess is a compound between a bishop and a knight, considered a 'fairy chess piece'.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DS Devereaux on Dec 15, 2014 wrote:
Here are the speculations I've had on the clockworks and their chess counterparts since around this time last year:

Kane - Quite obviously the king. Head of the operation, he's likely the most important piece to take out in order to gain power for the pirates of the spiral. In chess, taking out the king wins you the game.

'Milady' - Firstly, I love that name. Who was it that came up with it...Anne? Ah, well, that fact leaves me. Milady has been rumored to be very powerful indeed, and I wouldn't doubt that at all, since she (by force of elimination, if not anything else) seems to be the queen. I truly fear her wrath.

Bishop - Noble Tyler Strong, I here commend your wordplay. Bishop does indeed take a different angle on attacking, and that even contributes to his obvious counterpart as a bishop of the chess formation.

Rooke - In chess, a rook piece is a tower, symbolizing a force of defense. This is definitely embodied in Rooke, who is the tank of the Armada.

Phule - Take a guess. Just take one... Phule's a bishop! One can say that Phule as well has a slightly different angle of operation, but the real kicker is in his name. The word fou in French, translated to fool in English, references to the split in the bishop piece's cap. Not only is Phule's name a play on the English translation, but he also wears a split jester's cap.

Deacon - Aniecorbie, I have concluded that Deacon is both knight and bishop. Also called a Princess or an Archbishop, a Deacon piece in chess is a compound between a bishop and a knight, considered a 'fairy chess piece'.
Wonderful commentary. I believe that I was the first to speculate that "Milady" is the name/title of the Lady Elite ( I discovered that I could say 'milady' in game ). I don't believe that she could be the Queen piece, it is too powerful, I still believe that she's the Knight and her class will be a Swashbuckler.

Yes, Kane is the King, the one we must "checkmate" to win, but the King is a passive piece, couldn't he be a combination of King & Queen?

I didn't know that about "fairy chess pieces" thank you for that.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Grin Reaper on Oct 19, 2014 wrote:
Hmmm. I didn't know that. It would make sense however. But you have got to remember I'm basing this off of names (Bishop, Rook, etc). I was simply speculating on the fact that the 2 sides of Phule's mask is white and black just like the two sides. Also why is Deacon a bishop? I'm not denying your opinion, but I'm honestly curious. thanks for the post, and I hope to see an answer soon. Goodbye
Simply put, deacon is an office in the Anglican Church, A bishop is a higher church office. Deacon = clergy = bishop.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
anecorbie on Dec 15, 2014 wrote:
Simply put, deacon is an office in the Anglican Church, A bishop is a higher church office. Deacon = clergy = bishop.
Fair enough, but there is already someone called Bishop, who seems to obviously be the Bishop. That's what I mean when I say "Based of of names." Still I do see your point.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
The Grin Reaper on Jan 9, 2015 wrote:
Fair enough, but there is already someone called Bishop, who seems to obviously be the Bishop. That's what I mean when I say "Based of of names." Still I do see your point.
Wait I just realized. You say Deacon is a higher rank in church. But no one seemed to think about the holy wars. I know technically, they were Crusaders not knights, but for the sake of argument they're close enough, right? Right? Goodbye now.