Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Starting Epics

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
I just started a Swashbuckler, and I have to say Sarah Steele's starting epic is RIDICULOUSLY annoying. Every single time I try to hide both Sarah and I (Sarah has Walk in Darkness) it's just repel boarders, repel boarders, repel boarders. Is there any way to change it?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
AlphaWolf02 on Sep 13, 2014 wrote:
I just started a Swashbuckler, and I have to say Sarah Steele's starting epic is RIDICULOUSLY annoying. Every single time I try to hide both Sarah and I (Sarah has Walk in Darkness) it's just repel boarders, repel boarders, repel boarders. Is there any way to change it?
I agree with ya there. I rarely use her hide at all cause she will just repel out of it. Yea I don't understand the logic of that one either.

I would love to have a Ratbeard education on why this is a good part of gameplay mechanics for I will admit that I am just not seeing the benefits of this skill for her.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
It may be a bit annoying but it gets better. My main pirate is a Swashbuckler, and that Repel Boarders has saved my pirate's life multiple times. Try keeping Sarah behind you and/or your other companions when she's hidden, and send her out the next turn. That way Repel Boarders won't trigger as often. This setup works quite well in my experience.

There is no way to change it, it's a starting epic. Many have complained about it, but I sincerely hope KI does not change Sarah's Repel Boarders. Like I said before, it seems annoying now but it gets more useful later.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
MistyDragon13 on Sep 13, 2014 wrote:
It may be a bit annoying but it gets better. My main pirate is a Swashbuckler, and that Repel Boarders has saved my pirate's life multiple times. Try keeping Sarah behind you and/or your other companions when she's hidden, and send her out the next turn. That way Repel Boarders won't trigger as often. This setup works quite well in my experience.

There is no way to change it, it's a starting epic. Many have complained about it, but I sincerely hope KI does not change Sarah's Repel Boarders. Like I said before, it seems annoying now but it gets more useful later.
That's a good strategy, I'll try that more often. Thanks.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
What if the idea of starting epics was just completely destroyed? Then Misty would still have her repel, and Chrissy would have something else. Rainbows!

Commodore
May 31, 2009
AlphaWolf02 on Sep 14, 2014 wrote:
What if the idea of starting epics was just completely destroyed? Then Misty would still have her repel, and Chrissy would have something else. Rainbows!
Rainbows? There's one in Achaea I think...oh, that's not what you meant!

True, that would give us some more freedom in companion setup. Way back when in those days when I was just a level four running in confused circles as I tried to figure out where to go next, I didn't understand companions at all! I think it would be a little confusing for new players to have to pick out an epic right away when they don't even know what it does. I know I would have stared at my computer screen thinking, "What sorcery is this?"

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Heh, moving Sarah to the back is standard for me, unless there's an enemy that she can reach next turn. Sometimes I forget I'm wearing gear that gives me Flanking and that has outed me more times than I can count! Still, its a good talent to have, and I've used it to my advantage.