Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Combo Weapon Question

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2011
I've gotten mixed answers, and in game I see mixed results.

I am a privateer and have the slashy weapons ability. I also have trained staffy weapons 2.

Right now I am using Kshatriya's Shield which is a Slashy/Smash Combo (Note I don't have smash weapons trained)

During a very generous Nefarious 5 run (3 awesome weapons dropped)

I received Dragon-Axe of Doom which is listed as a Smashy/Slashy Combo and I am unable to equip it (I know I'm under level), but also because it says I need Smashy Weapons 2.

Is the order that the weapon combo name is list make a difference? Is it because it is rank 2?

Why can I equip one combo, but not the other?

Please help, I'm so lost.

Thank you in advance for your help.

~Clumsy Calamity

Petty Officer
May 25, 2012
I'd say that you're not lost, just overthinking the situation. Think of those weapon training prerequisites as being there for exactly that - you need further training in order to use that weapon. As a privateer part of your training is to be able to use a sword and shield. Similarly buccaneers are trained to use large two-handed. If you want to use heavy, destructive, and otherwise unwieldy weapons like them (or staves that channel powerful magic), then you need further training to use them properly.

Gameplay-wise you could view it as a way for each class to have its own signature weapons and combat styles, and in order for other classes to use them, they need to spend the practice points to get those signature weapons.

Canny Matthew Tolliver
Able Caleb Tolliver
Clever Alexis Tolliver

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2011
Not what I was asking. (Although re-reading my initial post I did a poor job of asking my question). Let me try again.

For Combo weapons do you need to have both talents trained in order to use the weapon?

I ask because I am able to equip one slashy /smash combo, but not another.

~Clumsy Calamity

Developer
Calamity PixieShad... on Sep 7, 2014 wrote:
Not what I was asking. (Although re-reading my initial post I did a poor job of asking my question). Let me try again.

For Combo weapons do you need to have both talents trained in order to use the weapon?

I ask because I am able to equip one slashy /smash combo, but not another.

~Clumsy Calamity
Underneath the weapon name you may see something like "Smashy/Slashy Weapon."

That simply lets you know what talents will benefit the weapon. In this case, you'll get damage bonuses if you have either Smashy or Slashy.

On the left hand side of the weapon card, you may *also* see, "Requires: Smashy Weapons 2."

This is the actual requirement to equip the weapon.

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2011
Thank you Ratbeard!

This makes much more sense now!

~Clumsy Calamity