Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Major unbalances.

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
So, this thread is about the unbalances between witchdoctors and buccaneers. This is from a 75% pvp standpoint and then a 25% pve standpoint, so mainly pvp.
Buccaneer companions, without a doubt, are better than witchdoctor companions. All classes are meant to be equal yet it's clear which one you'd rather choose. I have some points and proposals to make the witchdoctor class better.
1stly, their range is attrocious. Witchdoctors are known for their infinite/high ranges and ability to deal damage from a far, yet all of their companions (i am yet to see one other than old scratch) have a range of 3, with old scratch having a range of four. How is 3 squares a far distance? That's technically standing right next to your opponent!
2ndly, the ratio between will/strength is broken. Buccaneers are more likely to get relentless on a witchdoctor than witchdoctors are to get a mojo echo on a buccaneer. However, this is mainly because of accuracy. Accuracy plays a small part in the likeliness that you will get echo's/relentless. Speaking of accuracy...
3rdly, Witchdoctors have the worst accuracy out of all the classes! Why they have such low accuracy is beyond my understanding, surely if you're casting a spell it's almost guaranteed to work, but oh well.
I have some proposures to make for all witchdoctors:

They must all have at least 3 attacking powers. This means the serpent augur now gets soul reaver and ghostwail, Mormo stays the same with powers, Carcius Grimtooth gains Mojo Storm and Mournsong, old scratch gets Mojo Blade and Chain lightning. Yes, they may seem op, but really it balances it out since they're so fragile and can't hit anything when not using a power.

Their range increases by 1, so serpent augur and carcius get a range of 4, old scratch gains a range of 5, etc.

If these changes are considered or implemented into the game, i think we would have more of a balance, in PvP and PvE.

My reasoning is: I've seen full buccaneer teams, full musketeer teams, the use of one privateer (the marchioness) and catbeard together in a team, full swashbuckler teams, but zero full witchdoctor teams. Because they're so unusable in any metagame, including PvE. Hydra's little weaker minions could end up killing them so easily.

If you agree or have any ideas, let me know down in the replies! :D

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 65

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
First of all, it might help to rename the thread as it is about witchdoctor vs buccaneer companions, not the characters themselves. As for your ideas, I like the idea of a range increase, maybe even more than one, so witchdoctors would have possible ranges of up to 6 or 7 (like the characters do). However, I think giving witchdoctors 2 or more abilities each would indeed be overpowered, especially abilities along the ghostwail track. Then, your companions could kill an opponent before they even have a chance to defend if you go first.

Ensign
Nov 02, 2012
Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Um. What? The ideas suggested in here are...are...ridiculously overpowered! I mean no offense whatsoever, but I think that the idea of every single pirate getting Old Scratch's Chain Lightning at level 34 is...atrocious! As a witchdoctor, I can tell you how much it would hurt my class if everyone got Chain Lightning. Sure, we would get it twice, but could you imagine the havoc that would be wreaked everywhere - in PvP, in PvE, even in Cheesehunting! (reference) I actually wanted some modicum of difficulty in the storyline, thanks.

With all due respect.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
DeathWiz101378 on Aug 12, 2014 wrote:
So, this thread is about the unbalances between witchdoctors and buccaneers. This is from a 75% pvp standpoint and then a 25% pve standpoint, so mainly pvp.
Buccaneer companions, without a doubt, are better than witchdoctor companions. All classes are meant to be equal yet it's clear which one you'd rather choose. I have some points and proposals to make the witchdoctor class better.
1stly, their range is attrocious. Witchdoctors are known for their infinite/high ranges and ability to deal damage from a far, yet all of their companions (i am yet to see one other than old scratch) have a range of 3, with old scratch having a range of four. How is 3 squares a far distance? That's technically standing right next to your opponent!
2ndly, the ratio between will/strength is broken. Buccaneers are more likely to get relentless on a witchdoctor than witchdoctors are to get a mojo echo on a buccaneer. However, this is mainly because of accuracy. Accuracy plays a small part in the likeliness that you will get echo's/relentless. Speaking of accuracy...
3rdly, Witchdoctors have the worst accuracy out of all the classes! Why they have such low accuracy is beyond my understanding, surely if you're casting a spell it's almost guaranteed to work, but oh well.
I have some proposures to make for all witchdoctors:

They must all have at least 3 attacking powers. This means the serpent augur now gets soul reaver and ghostwail, Mormo stays the same with powers, Carcius Grimtooth gains Mojo Storm and Mournsong, old scratch gets Mojo Blade and Chain lightning. Yes, they may seem op, but really it balances it out since they're so fragile and can't hit anything when not using a power.

Their range increases by 1, so serpent augur and carcius get a range of 4, old scratch gains a range of 5, etc.

If these changes are considered or implemented into the game, i think we would have more of a balance, in PvP and PvE.

My reasoning is: I've seen full buccaneer teams, full musketeer teams, the use of one privateer (the marchioness) and catbeard together in a team, full swashbuckler teams, but zero full witchdoctor teams. Because they're so unusable in any metagame, including PvE. Hydra's little weaker minions could end up killing them so easily.

If you agree or have any ideas, let me know down in the replies! :D

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 65
WDs are the only class that i have not yet played, so although my opinion is based off insufficient experience, i will respond to the best of my ability anyway.

your right, you really do not see alot of 100% witchdoctor teams, well, ever. but that is because it would be extremely unbalanced, and is not really a viable strategy. witchdoctors have low health and armor, and not so great range, but WD companions DO have 2 saving graces: AoEs, and summoning. i know the possibility to fizzle is a pain, but with old scratch out there with 9 blocks being hit almost everytime, i got no complaints. and i know, the allies you summon are super weak, but even if they only survive 2 turns, that is two turns that someone on your team was not attacked. the only real change i would make is to improve the accuracy.

Matthew Walker, level 65, level 15.