Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Does ANYONE understand Jack's Quest?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2014
Ok, i've tried out Jack's Quest in Traitor's cave, and I do NOT understand it at all. It doesn't make any sense...Can someone who understands it explain it to me? It's really confusing...

Petty Alicia Cog

Developer
[SPOILERS]

I can break it down for you:

Jack is a ghost (instead of simply being dead) because he's haunted (no pun intended) by his guilt: before he joined Ratbeard's crew, he worked for Avery - but he was a spy, he was ratting out Avery to the Sharks (heh, another pun!).

He was selling them security secrets, but he didn't know what they were planning. So for the rest of the quest chain, you go find out. You unravel the conspiracy slowly, uncovering the following secrets:
  • The Sharks mean to kill Avery and take over Skull Island
  • The Sharks have a LOT of double agents sprinkled throughout Avery's staff
  • The Cutthroats are actually being directed by another Shark clan, the Threshers
  • The real center of the Conspiracy aren't even Threshers - they're Prawns: weird psychic Shrimp that are an ancient evil that's recently returned from some kind of absence "outside". The Prawns disguise themselves as Sharks using psychic illusions, but the PC manages to get magical immunity to it.
At every point, you fight either agents or Sharks or Prawns, and finally trace your way to the Prawn stronghold and defeat Emperor Prawn, wrecking their plans completely. In so doing, you eliminate the threat to Avery and Skull Island, which Jack was directly contributing to via his spying. This done, Jack can find peace. End of quest line.

Does that help? Admittedly, of the new quest lines, this was the Gonzo one - it feels more fantastical than the others, but it also features a big threat to Skull Island and a nifty dungeon at the end. Once I wrapped my head around the Prawns and got a feel for them, they were so funny that I couldn't resist some odd embellishment.

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2014
Blind Mew on May 16, 2014 wrote:
[SPOILERS]

I can break it down for you:

Jack is a ghost (instead of simply being dead) because he's haunted (no pun intended) by his guilt: before he joined Ratbeard's crew, he worked for Avery - but he was a spy, he was ratting out Avery to the Sharks (heh, another pun!).

He was selling them security secrets, but he didn't know what they were planning. So for the rest of the quest chain, you go find out. You unravel the conspiracy slowly, uncovering the following secrets:
  • The Sharks mean to kill Avery and take over Skull Island
  • The Sharks have a LOT of double agents sprinkled throughout Avery's staff
  • The Cutthroats are actually being directed by another Shark clan, the Threshers
  • The real center of the Conspiracy aren't even Threshers - they're Prawns: weird psychic Shrimp that are an ancient evil that's recently returned from some kind of absence "outside". The Prawns disguise themselves as Sharks using psychic illusions, but the PC manages to get magical immunity to it.
At every point, you fight either agents or Sharks or Prawns, and finally trace your way to the Prawn stronghold and defeat Emperor Prawn, wrecking their plans completely. In so doing, you eliminate the threat to Avery and Skull Island, which Jack was directly contributing to via his spying. This done, Jack can find peace. End of quest line.

Does that help? Admittedly, of the new quest lines, this was the Gonzo one - it feels more fantastical than the others, but it also features a big threat to Skull Island and a nifty dungeon at the end. Once I wrapped my head around the Prawns and got a feel for them, they were so funny that I couldn't resist some odd embellishment.
Thank you, Blind Mew. Now I understand completely. It helped a lot. I was wondering what the prawn was for back in a previous month's newsletters, now we know.