Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Wounded penalty too punishing?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
I know this is a strange thing to put up about one specific thing, but in the test realm in the higher levels (I'm talking around 50) I noted once my companion got "wounded" It would take a few hours, I believe it was 3. And I didn't want to do the "wake up" option because it would just snowball into him being much weaker, so I went to the reviver guy (I forget the name, magic mike? and I also caught the reference there from a movie there, KI, kudos to whoever else gets it) And it was 16,000+ gold to revive even in the first stage of being wounded, and mind you, an average of everything else for level 50-ish items is around 5000 I believe, and the money bought companion promotes at 4000 along with companion points, so I myself believed that was simply WAY too unbalanced and punishing. However I get that KI was trying a new way to find circulation of companions, but still, it's quite bothering. I'll take any opinions and points of view on this subject. And feel free to correct me on something or tell me something I'm unaware of that makes it less punishing. I thank anyone who gives feedback!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
DuncanRoland The E... on May 5, 2014 wrote:
I know this is a strange thing to put up about one specific thing, but in the test realm in the higher levels (I'm talking around 50) I noted once my companion got "wounded" It would take a few hours, I believe it was 3. And I didn't want to do the "wake up" option because it would just snowball into him being much weaker, so I went to the reviver guy (I forget the name, magic mike? and I also caught the reference there from a movie there, KI, kudos to whoever else gets it) And it was 16,000+ gold to revive even in the first stage of being wounded, and mind you, an average of everything else for level 50-ish items is around 5000 I believe, and the money bought companion promotes at 4000 along with companion points, so I myself believed that was simply WAY too unbalanced and punishing. However I get that KI was trying a new way to find circulation of companions, but still, it's quite bothering. I'll take any opinions and points of view on this subject. And feel free to correct me on something or tell me something I'm unaware of that makes it less punishing. I thank anyone who gives feedback!
Well I would love to help to you gauge the cost for a Max companion but I have had three get knocked out in test and I have been unfortunate (or fortunate depending on how you look at it) enough to have a glitch that every time they got knocked out, no wounding happened. Once was with my Inoshishi Necromancer and twice it was one of the new class companions but when I checked my roster they were all fine. I REALLY want to hear Mitch tell me they were "Only Mostly Dead" I am dying to hear his lines but this glitch is keeping my crew magicly healthy. I guess I just need to go to Aquila and just pick on some giants and NOT be a good captain until someone actually gets truly wounded. Eventually it's gotta happen................right?

Developer
If your Companion takes a wound and goes on Bed Rest, we would really much rather that you use a different companion until the wound goes away.

We have added a mechanism for you to avoid this (Miracle Mitch), but it is going to cost you.

Miracles don't come cheap, you know.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on May 5, 2014 wrote:
Well I would love to help to you gauge the cost for a Max companion but I have had three get knocked out in test and I have been unfortunate (or fortunate depending on how you look at it) enough to have a glitch that every time they got knocked out, no wounding happened. Once was with my Inoshishi Necromancer and twice it was one of the new class companions but when I checked my roster they were all fine. I REALLY want to hear Mitch tell me they were "Only Mostly Dead" I am dying to hear his lines but this glitch is keeping my crew magicly healthy. I guess I just need to go to Aquila and just pick on some giants and NOT be a good captain until someone actually gets truly wounded. Eventually it's gotta happen................right?
I got to hear Miracle Mitch's lines, Chrissy. He says "Luckily, your friend was only mostly dead" LOL. Love The Princess Bride easter egg here.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Ratbeard on May 5, 2014 wrote:
If your Companion takes a wound and goes on Bed Rest, we would really much rather that you use a different companion until the wound goes away.

We have added a mechanism for you to avoid this (Miracle Mitch), but it is going to cost you.

I totally understand Ratbeard and I agree with the concept totally. It's just that the Princess Bride is one of my ultra favorite films and I just cannot wait to see what you have done with the nod. I just want to hear Mitch's lines so I can once delightfully giggle at the Mew's cleverness. Then, I promise to continue with the rotation as I really love the idea of rotating them.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Ratbeard on May 5, 2014 wrote:

"Miracles don't come cheap, you know."

Tell me about it...I have 3 miracles at home, cha-ching.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
DuncanRoland The E... on May 5, 2014 wrote:
Magic Mike.....LOL. I got what your saying, but like Ratbeard already indicated...his name is Miracle Mitch.

Ensign
Jul 09, 2011
I'm really ok with this aspect of the test realm, and I have a level 65 Witchdoctor so I know it can take some time to heal those wounded companions. For me it's an opportunity to use my rarely used companions!

I also love the movie reference, the perfect movie to reference for this game! Miracles don't come cheap to cure a 'mostly-dead' pirate. Thanks for that, Ratbeard

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2010
What has me a little concern about this new Wounded idea is that I have a very poor internet connection and often my connection will drop during an battle. Not a huge problem as it is now as I can just revive the dead companions after logging back in (normally two or three of them will die by the time I log back in) and redo the same battle.

However, I'm assuming that with this new change it means that those companions will require rest first, as I very likely can take three or four times to complete a single battle without my internet connection dropping, I was wondering if there will be any change to what happens now when you lose connection? (still waiting for test to download - after a couple of days - before trying myself).

I realise that they have to make sure people don't just "pull" their connection when things are going badly, but I hope they don't forget about those of us that do have very poor connections and don't punish us too much becuase of it.

Ensign
May 22, 2008
A system that makes people want to stop playing is just bad game design :(

Lieutenant
Dec 02, 2009
I have to say I agree with that the damage cost is to high I dont loose many battles but yesterday i did the cost of 4 companions is brutal. I buy a new boat in every realm I go to and the cost of upgrading your outfit is ok but If I have to pay to heal my crew thats like a penalty to us for playing its like they want to slow us down to give them time to make new content I dont like it .

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
demonic47 on May 10, 2014 wrote:
I have to say I agree with that the damage cost is to high I dont loose many battles but yesterday i did the cost of 4 companions is brutal. I buy a new boat in every realm I go to and the cost of upgrading your outfit is ok but If I have to pay to heal my crew thats like a penalty to us for playing its like they want to slow us down to give them time to make new content I dont like it .
Well the whole idea is to NOT pay for the miracle. You can if you want to but it is not necessary at all. They want to encourage you to get used to using more of your top line companions. It will make the game much more varied and challenging in a good way to learn to adapt your play style by using another companion that can kick tush just as well, just in another way. Just use someone else as the favorites heal. You just may find some more favorites just by giving them a chance.

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2010
Chrissy Th'Blesser on May 10, 2014 wrote:
Well the whole idea is to NOT pay for the miracle. You can if you want to but it is not necessary at all. They want to encourage you to get used to using more of your top line companions. It will make the game much more varied and challenging in a good way to learn to adapt your play style by using another companion that can kick tush just as well, just in another way. Just use someone else as the favorites heal. You just may find some more favorites just by giving them a chance.
Although I'm in favour of using all your companions (over time) there is one obvious issue with this new design... if you lose the battle with all your "top" companions, doesn't that mean that it will even be more unlikely that you will win if you try again using your "secondary" companions?

I actually like the new changes (from what I have read so far, I’m still unable to test them to any degree for various reasons). But going off some of the statements made in this forum it does look like they have set the "cost" of losing a battle too high (don’t forget this is essentially a Kids game).

Ensign
Jul 27, 2013
I think it would be a great idea to have it because I always love a challenges and even if I do lose I still have 4 pages of companions left. But money to me is the problem it's to much even for me and I am level 65 or is it just based on your level?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Logansan on May 12, 2014 wrote:
Although I'm in favour of using all your companions (over time) there is one obvious issue with this new design... if you lose the battle with all your "top" companions, doesn't that mean that it will even be more unlikely that you will win if you try again using your "secondary" companions?

I actually like the new changes (from what I have read so far, I’m still unable to test them to any degree for various reasons). But going off some of the statements made in this forum it does look like they have set the "cost" of losing a battle too high (don’t forget this is essentially a Kids game).
They want you to realize that you have more than three "Top" companions. This way you will use the others more and realize how great they really are.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
epicflame272912 on May 12, 2014 wrote:
I think it would be a great idea to have it because I always love a challenges and even if I do lose I still have 4 pages of companions left. But money to me is the problem it's to much even for me and I am level 65 or is it just based on your level?
Yes, the higher level the companion, the higher the cost to revive them.

Developer
Logansan on May 12, 2014 wrote:

It depends on how you define "secondary companions" and what level we're talking about.

At 65th level you will have more than a dozen top-tier companions-- more than enough to take a few passes at any given fight. Here are the top tier companions everybody gets:

1. Mooshu companion (Kobe, Egg Shen, Kan Po, Subodai, or Wing Chun)
  2. Bonnie Anne
  3. Class companion (Marchioness, Grimtooth, Fan Flanders, Chantal, or Quint)
  4. Kraken Skulls companion (Ensign Emmett, Louis, Mormo, Sarah, or Barnabus)
  5. Presidio companion (Lucky Jack, Birgus Latro, Milo, Dead Mike, or Gaspard)
  6. Ratbeard
  7. Old Scratch
  8. El Toro
  9. Magnificent Seven
  10. Monkey King
  11. Gracie Conrad
  12. Catbeard
  13. Hawkules

We draw a clear distinction between "top" companions and "favorite" companions. It has always been our design goal that players branch out beyond 3 or 4 "favorite" companions. Our approach to encouraging this has obviously changed, but the goal has not.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I personally think the system works great. To me it helps you think more about your strategy....which in the long run is always an epically good thing.

Even in Aquila (when the cost to 'revive' becomes much greater), with proper training and learning as much about your companions, their Epic Talents and how to use them- it can be highly conceivable that you can go 5, 10,15 or even 30+ battles without ever losing a companion at all. Studying them and coming up with good 'gameplans' based on different enemies is crucial to not even having to worry about them being wounded at all, and thus avoiding those outrageous doctor bills.

The new companion system makes avoiding wounded companions, sooooo much easier as well. If you choose to, you can dictate who shows up in battle, plan accordingly and more than likely avoid any wounded companions at all. Even with 3-5 rows of random companions available, you should wind up with a great battle crew, while the others earn their keep. There's a lot to say about developing great strategies by keeping things random as it definitely does force you to learn more about each and every crew member and strategize accordingly.

If the cost of 'reviving' wounded companions seems too steep, then it may just be time to rethink or develop new strategies that may help prevent and avoid them being wounded in the first place. Even if you do manage to lose a companion here and there, there should be an excellent chance that another fine crew member can fill in for future battles until the wounded companion gets mended.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I see this as a good lesson in strategy. I f you have been using your companions as expendable 'meat sheilds', then you need to rethink your plans. Plus there is the free resets that can help you, train your favorites in the Scapper talent so they recover quicker.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
Chrissy Th'Blesser on May 12, 2014 wrote:
They want you to realize that you have more than three "Top" companions. This way you will use the others more and realize how great they really are.
Having the old system made you use other companions anyway, which is what made it interesting and challenging. I have several lesser companions that I grew to like more when they appeared randomly.

Having the current system forced on you in this fashion is wrong. The length of time for healing the wounded shouldn't be as long. The gold cost shouldn't be that high. There are schools that have many more companions than others that they can tap into.

Here's another thing to think about: Many pirates have not and will not collect their side quest companions. Why? The lack of tomes due to the outrageous gold cost and lack of tomes found in the game. The training of many of these companions can cost quite a bit of gold. Many pirates also don't train what companions they do have to the max, because they want to utilize what little tomes they have to their advantage, which is waiting to train them as many levels lower than their pirate as they can get away with.

Ensign
May 22, 2008
I think, minimally, first mates should be immune to wounding.

Ensign
Nov 28, 2012
Ratbeard on May 12, 2014 wrote:
It depends on how you define "secondary companions" and what level we're talking about.

At 65th level you will have more than a dozen top-tier companions-- more than enough to take a few passes at any given fight. Here are the top tier companions everybody gets:

1. Mooshu companion (Kobe, Egg Shen, Kan Po, Subodai, or Wing Chun)
  2. Bonnie Anne
  3. Class companion (Marchioness, Grimtooth, Fan Flanders, Chantal, or Quint)
  4. Kraken Skulls companion (Ensign Emmett, Louis, Mormo, Sarah, or Barnabus)
  5. Presidio companion (Lucky Jack, Birgus Latro, Milo, Dead Mike, or Gaspard)
  6. Ratbeard
  7. Old Scratch
  8. El Toro
  9. Magnificent Seven
  10. Monkey King
  11. Gracie Conrad
  12. Catbeard
  13. Hawkules

We draw a clear distinction between "top" companions and "favorite" companions. It has always been our design goal that players branch out beyond 3 or 4 "favorite" companions. Our approach to encouraging this has obviously changed, but the goal has not.
Won't this have an opposite effect though? Won't players use companions outside of this "top" tier list even less precisely because healing them isn't cheap? I think that having this game mechanic discourages players (especially the newbies) to experiment with the "weaker" companions.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
In my opinion wounded penalty for companions is good, what's the point in having allot of companions if you only use a certain few? :P Also it helps to make new strategies and gives consequences to our actions! A good lesson for kids!

Petty Officer
Jul 26, 2011
I actually think this approach is less efficient RBeard...

When companions were always randomized, at least one companion every battle was one you weren't super happy to see in action

But now we basically control which ones we get. Now, even with this whole wounded wait 5 hours thing, I never use more than 4-5 different companions ever!

I mean it's a neat Idea but now all but about 6 companions are rendered useless

At least, it's like that for me ( sorry Bonnie your lucky number 7 on my list )

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
For anyone that is not aware yet, you can still completely, 100% randomize your crew (which you couldn't do before the updates)- KI has given us that choice as an option. You don't have to send out any companions on tasks or maybe just assign a few to the tasks and then set your companion battle option to 'Random'.

Just go to the Gear Tab at the top of the screen, select 'Options' from the drop down menu, click on the 2nd joystick tab coming from the left. When the menu appears look at 'Combat Unit Selection'. If you want randomization, just click on the yellow arrows and select random for 'total 100% randomness' or 1st mate for guaranteed 1st mate followed be total randomness for other battle crew members.

Just leave many or most of your companions unassigned from tasks and you will get the randomness that you enjoy and are wanting. If your pirate is a lower level with only a handful of companions, then you are a bit limited to who shows up but that's always been the case. For those that are higher levels with many companions (even 2+ pages)....with warriorscreed being a grand exception- 82, you can set to random, not assign half of your companions and still get a great variety in battle or not assign any and get massive randomness.

I like to switch it up and had mine set to random for a while, with a page worth on tasks and got page 2 and page 3 companions in the same battle- so the randomization is totally in our hands. By setting the 'Combat Unit Selection' option and choosing who is assigned tasks we have total control to receive 100% random battle crews,100% in order or anything in between- to me it's a win/win situation with all sides being accommodated.

In my opinion it is a near perfect scenario and system, that we have total control over. We just have to set the game options to our own likings and then enjoy!