Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pirate Band!

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
GLOCKENSPIEL...that sounds intriguingly fantastic...at first I thought that was a German speech! I think I would like to try my hands at playing that simply for the name alone. In all seriousness, you are right in saying that the Cello is an instrument of sure joy and beauty. And those Bagpipes, Bicycle and Balloons instruments would be nice to have a go at. (I looked up Peter Schikele's works, thank you for that!!!)

I couldn't help but laugh because I definitely remember the good ol' days of using clothes pins to attach baseball cards and playing cards to the spokes of my bike and just listen to the wheels whine. Thanks Chrissy, that brought back some very fond memories.
Lol Thank you Valkoor and you are indeed welcome. I remember having the privilege of watching Professor Schikele perform and that bike just made my jaw drop. They actually got recognizable notes out of it and it produced a followable melody just by varying the speed. It was truly amazing and had me dreaming of riding my bike as a kid and trying to adjust my speed to have that beloved "buzz" turn into music too. That was the only reason they put jokers into a deck of cards, right? You don't use them for games so it HAD To be just for us kids to put on our bikes. Yes I thought I was a bit of a daredevil on the bike too. I seem to remember having contests on who could ride on this block wall the furthest as we had built a ramp to get up to it. All that with no helmets too, lol. My how DID we survive.

Anyway, another name for the Glockenspiel is the Bell Lyre. It is basically a Xylophone that you could carry. My band leader had a love for the exotic names and loved using its original name and it kind of stuck with me too. I am so glad you enjoyed my trip down memory lane too.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ordeith on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
Violin. I can imagine Cunning Connor Carter playing his violin dramatically... and then dueling another pirate with his bow.
Oh that is just so PERFECTLY piratey. Beautiful imagery.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Thank you. I always enjoyed growing up as a kid and my Pop's band coming to play at family get-togethers (including 400+ in attendance 3 day Crab Feasts). Us grandchildren would always pick up an instrument and join in on the playing and singing- and dancing of course. And my kids and their cousins have already joined in on the fun as well. I for one think that Bluegrass is very underrated, because to me they are some of the most talented musicians I have heard. A lot of Bluegrass music is soooo complex and fast paced and amazin. But it is often dismissed before it is given a chance, because to many it sounds a bit unusual upon first hearing it. But I enjoy and it is nice to know that there are others here who do as well.
I have been to many a Bluegrass festivals and loved them all. I remember going to one with my best friend in California at the Santa Monica Pier that was truly awesome. The gifted musicians were everywhere. It's one of my loveliest memories with him as we listened to the great music blended with the cry of seagulls and the smell of the sea in the wind in our faces. *Sighs blissfully* Yea I think I would be hanging around your band a LOT.
What an awesome privilege to be able to grow up with such talent. A 3 day crab fest? Wow does that sound fun. To be able to join right in and absorb the music while you participate, what a fantastic memory. I sure would love to meet your Pop and his marvelous band.

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
Well Sam would have to borrow them from Mike Oldfield, but he'd play Tubular Bells.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
My pirate Griffin would play the trumpet and the Guitar ( I play both in real life) depending on the circumstance.
I have always thought of my new privateer Cyrus as someone who would play the flute ( don't you ask )

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
I have been to many a Bluegrass festivals and loved them all. I remember going to one with my best friend in California at the Santa Monica Pier that was truly awesome. The gifted musicians were everywhere. It's one of my loveliest memories with him as we listened to the great music blended with the cry of seagulls and the smell of the sea in the wind in our faces. *Sighs blissfully* Yea I think I would be hanging around your band a LOT.
What an awesome privilege to be able to grow up with such talent. A 3 day crab fest? Wow does that sound fun. To be able to join right in and absorb the music while you participate, what a fantastic memory. I sure would love to meet your Pop and his marvelous band.
Ah, yes...the good ol' Bluegrass festivals, I remember them quite well- what a fun time. Growing up we would yearly make a trip to Galax, Virginia, at the start of the Blue Ridge Mountains, for their annual Bluegrass Festival- at the time it was just called The Fiddler's Convention, or at least that's what we called it . Most years, my Pop and his band would perform on stage and it was such a great time and the people were so incredibly nice. Now they call it the Old Time Bluegrass Fiddler's Convention and every few years we still make the trip. Your memories and description of the festivals at the Santa Monica Pier sound like a blast and I bet it was amazing to experience that in such a great location.

And heck, hanging around my band- I don't think so. You better believe you would be joining right in the magnificent, merry music making. Perhaps you could use your Pennyfarthing mount to try your hand at PDQ Bach's bicycle and card instrument. That would surely fit right in with my ragtime Jug Band.

Our Crab Feasts were of epic proportions. The whole neighborhood would be on 'lockdown' for that weekend and every family would have their own friend's and family come join in the fun. My family alone is pretty huge and we would welcome anyone who was just passing through to join us. Each house in the neighborhood served as a 'station' including one with a band or two (including Pop's Stringbusters) w/ dance floor, volleyball, horseshoes, other outdoor games, slip-n-slides for all ages, makeshift campgrounds, and of course a makeshift mess hall with scores of tables and bushel after bushel of crabs (as well as tons of other good eats). The grandchildren would have their own Jug Band (complete with a bucket bass and pots and pan percussions) set off to the side of the Pros and we wouldn't miss a beat. I sure miss those Feasts, what a grand time.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Griffen Deverux on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
My pirate Griffin would play the trumpet and the Guitar ( I play both in real life) depending on the circumstance.
I have always thought of my new privateer Cyrus as someone who would play the flute ( don't you ask )
Oh wow I totally forgot I took guitar lessons before my back put that out of commision. ( pun totally intended ) Yea I would love to be strumming along the deck encouraging the onlookers to sing along. A real troubadouress.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Have ye thought of the pirate bands name yet, that be important. How about "The Wild Krakens", or "Batacuda Skull Blade", or even "The Shark Brood" so think about it mate

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
Ah, yes...the good ol' Bluegrass festivals, I remember them quite well- what a fun time. Growing up we would yearly make a trip to Galax, Virginia, at the start of the Blue Ridge Mountains, for their annual Bluegrass Festival- at the time it was just called The Fiddler's Convention, or at least that's what we called it . Most years, my Pop and his band would perform on stage and it was such a great time and the people were so incredibly nice. Now they call it the Old Time Bluegrass Fiddler's Convention and every few years we still make the trip. Your memories and description of the festivals at the Santa Monica Pier sound like a blast and I bet it was amazing to experience that in such a great location.

And heck, hanging around my band- I don't think so. You better believe you would be joining right in the magnificent, merry music making. Perhaps you could use your Pennyfarthing mount to try your hand at PDQ Bach's bicycle and card instrument. That would surely fit right in with my ragtime Jug Band.

Our Crab Feasts were of epic proportions. The whole neighborhood would be on 'lockdown' for that weekend and every family would have their own friend's and family come join in the fun. My family alone is pretty huge and we would welcome anyone who was just passing through to join us. Each house in the neighborhood served as a 'station' including one with a band or two (including Pop's Stringbusters) w/ dance floor, volleyball, horseshoes, other outdoor games, slip-n-slides for all ages, makeshift campgrounds, and of course a makeshift mess hall with scores of tables and bushel after bushel of crabs (as well as tons of other good eats). The grandchildren would have their own Jug Band (complete with a bucket bass and pots and pan percussions) set off to the side of the Pros and we wouldn't miss a beat. I sure miss those Feasts, what a grand time.
What fantastic memories. Thank you SO much for sharing more of them. I got my Pennyfarthing warmed up and a Joker clipped on and the second joker in my pocket as a stand by. I might even try a little balloon singing. Ole Prof Schickele and Johnny Depp in Benny & Joon have truly inspired me.

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Hmm, very interesting thing to consider...

While a number of my characters have instrumental talent, none of them so year have outclassed Evangeline, a dexterous pianist and vocalist. She has a very beautiful voice, smooth and calm, intellectual and collected. Her skill on the piano is better than anything else she does. She has that required concentration and ability to sing and play the piano at the same time. (Something I have trouble with. Ah, well.)

I'd imagine Emma with an acoustic guitar in hand, finishing a simple song and then whacking some poor random person over the head with it.

Another character of mine with musical talent is Sonata Strong, or Sarah as her real name is. She earned her name for a reason. She may be great with the piano when she wants to be, her skill as a violinist is much better.

This should be surprising, but Lamia, the deceased daughter of a famous singer who reanimated as a sentient zombie, has a pretty amazing voice.

I can picture Marina and Karina (yes, their names rhyme intentionally), maid and mistress, doing something along the lines of harpist and a cellist, respectively.

Monica Hawkins, sister to James Hawkins, is not bad with a flute, in particular one of Bison origin. Her brother is pretty skilled with a marimba.

Ciao.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Highlander Fox of ... on Apr 3, 2014 wrote:
Hmm, very interesting thing to consider...

While a number of my characters have instrumental talent, none of them so year have outclassed Evangeline, a dexterous pianist and vocalist. She has a very beautiful voice, smooth and calm, intellectual and collected. Her skill on the piano is better than anything else she does. She has that required concentration and ability to sing and play the piano at the same time. (Something I have trouble with. Ah, well.)

I'd imagine Emma with an acoustic guitar in hand, finishing a simple song and then whacking some poor random person over the head with it.

Another character of mine with musical talent is Sonata Strong, or Sarah as her real name is. She earned her name for a reason. She may be great with the piano when she wants to be, her skill as a violinist is much better.

This should be surprising, but Lamia, the deceased daughter of a famous singer who reanimated as a sentient zombie, has a pretty amazing voice.

I can picture Marina and Karina (yes, their names rhyme intentionally), maid and mistress, doing something along the lines of harpist and a cellist, respectively.

Monica Hawkins, sister to James Hawkins, is not bad with a flute, in particular one of Bison origin. Her brother is pretty skilled with a marimba.

Ciao.
Fantastically interesting and creative band Emma. I rather enjoyed the clever storytelling aspect of your reply as well. What an eclectic assortment of band members and instruments. With that much diversity and originality, I for one would be willing to shell out big bucks and stand in a serpentine-esque line for hours on end, in the bitter cold for a shot to hear a band of the nature.