Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pirate Band!

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Apr 13, 2010
If your pirate was in a band, which instrument would he/she play? My Georges would play the trombone, trumpet, and saxophone. My other pirates (Joe, Grace, Olivia) would play the clarinet, flute, and drums.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Oh, an interesting question, GBalance! As it happens, my pirates do love music. Anne Radcliffe sings, Charlotte Richardson plays the viola da gamba (the ancestor to the cello, rather similar in sound), Genevieve Devereaux plays the recorder, and Maria Mitchell is very accomplished upon the pianoforte and harpsichord. Anneke Nightingale has a sweet singing voice, but quite soft, and doesn't play any instruments, but she is an expert dancer. They can all entertain themselves and others quite nicely!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Really great question GBalance! It adds a dimension to our pirates, making them more "real" as for instruments the question could be answered by: where were you raised, what music comes with that culture?

Esperanza Devereaux was raised in Mooshu by an acrobatic troupe - theater training would require her to know some music so she would play drums or the bamboo flute ( both very easy to carry around on a ship )

Bold Bess Nightingale was raised in Grizzleheim, being a buccaneer, she had no time for music, unless its the beat of swords against shields

Silver Isis was raised in mysterious Krokotopia, I'll bet cymbals, rattles, drums, flutes, and harps were a big part of her education.

Marion Kidd was also raised in Mooshu, in the Marleybone trade area, Her education would have included the pianoforte and singing, unfortunately Marion is tone deaf.

Black Morgan Moone was raised in Marleybone by a marine she had the traditional upbringing of a "proper" gentlewoman of Marleybone, Pianoforte and standing harp.

Darcy Abbott raised in Scrimshaw- "The concertina, Mate . That's wot I plays!"

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
My two max pirates (a witch doctor girl and a privateer girl) would play the saxophone and the clarinet and the trombone and the piano and the drums and the tuba... Basically all of zee instruments

Lieutenant
May 09, 2009
Great question

hmm, I think i would go for the trumpet.( El Toro could be my assistant, cause you know, his power once he gets promoted has a trumpet.)

Yours truly,
Noble Ryan Thompson
( We could be known as the " El Trumpet Duet" .)

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
GBalance101 on Mar 28, 2014 wrote:
If your pirate was in a band, which instrument would he/she play? My Georges would play the trombone, trumpet, and saxophone. My other pirates (Joe, Grace, Olivia) would play the clarinet, flute, and drums.
Harmonica defiantly. If used right it can sing like an angle. Also good when I get caught by the armada. (If that ever happens. I beat Rooke four times deacon three and bishop four so BRING IT ON

-Jack nightgale lvl 65 buccaneer

On wizard101 I beat malistare at lvl 33 (with help of course)

Administrator
TheDragonspyrePira... on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
Harmonica defiantly. If used right it can sing like an angle. Also good when I get caught by the armada. (If that ever happens. I beat Rooke four times deacon three and bishop four so BRING IT ON

-Jack nightgale lvl 65 buccaneer

On wizard101 I beat malistare at lvl 33 (with help of course)
My pirates would be holding down the beat in the background! (I play the drums IRL)

p.s. Awesome job beating Mali. I think my greatest claim to fame with Malistiare was when I defeated him with no gear on!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
Aug 23, 2010
I would play the saxophone and bring the jazz into the band. I play a saxophone IRL anyway so I know what I am doing.

Sly Luke Davenport 65 Swashbuckler
See you in the spiral!

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
My pirates would be holding down the beat in the background! (I play the drums IRL)

p.s. Awesome job beating Mali. I think my greatest claim to fame with Malistiare was when I defeated him with no gear on!
That deserves a round of Applause. It must have been tough.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Wow . That is the coolest thing I have ever seen. I was biting my nails by the end. The Mana count was truly making me squirm. Beyond well done. *Bows to the Masta*
Truly legendary.

Petty Officer
Nov 29, 2011
Violin. I can imagine Cunning Connor Carter playing his violin dramatically... and then dueling another pirate with his bow.

Lieutenant
Jan 19, 2014

That's you in the past? Heh, nice.

Lieutenant
Jan 19, 2014
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Excellent thread and idea GBalance!

Although I don't seriously play any instruments myself, besides the occasional misadventure here and there, I have a lot of music rooted in my family tree. My grandfather plays in a Bluegrass Band called "The Stringbusters" and he also makes all kinds of music instruments- violins/fiddles, banjos, guitars, mandolins, dulcimers, hammer dulcimers, ukuleles and more.

As for my pirate band, hmm...I think that it would be a band paying tribute to the great late 1800's early 1900's Louisville/Memphis Blues, Ragtime and Jazz "Jug Bands". Seeing as there aren't really too many instrument shops in the Spiral, this would be the perfect type of band and music for my crew. They would scrounge together what they could find to produce some pretty amazing sounds. As for my pirate band line up:

Virtuous Valdus Voss - Jug (Gallon)- produces sounds similar to a sousaphone

Dashing Boris De Bouff - Stovepipe (somewhat similar to a didgeridoo in how you produce the sound)

Nimble Brom Nesbit - Wash Tub Bass (upside down washtub, with hole, attached by string to upright broomhandle)

Cynical Devesh Groot- Washboard (gotta love that washboard sound)

Charming Quincy Clegg - Comb and tissue paper Kazoo...can't have jug band without a well-played Kazoo.

Two-Faced Valkoor Ohlen - Percussions, notably spoons, large pot & wooden spoon, and maybe a bucket

....and of course no Jug Band would be complete without Emmett Otter who would be on a guitar fabricated from a not-in-current-use spine of a Scrimshaw Drake and a tin cigar box.

We of course, would play some of the songs from Jim Henson's Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas special like; "There ain't no Hole in the Washtub", "Riverbottom Nightmare Band", and "Bar-B-Que". I had long ago forgotten about that great movie until I played Pirate101 and first saw Ensign Emmett. Another finely inserted Easter Egg from Mew and Crew, one that some of us slightly older pirates may appreciate. Too many to keep track of, that's for sure.

And that's my pirate band. Thanks for the great thread topic GBalance!

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
Silver Dino Hawkins is a very strange pirate. He made a new instrument called ship. Well actually he found another use for a ship. You see one day Dino was sailing in the avernus, and the Loch Ness monster showed up. Dino heard tales of old folklore, that music could sooth the dragon. But Dino had no loud instrument, so he instead used his galleons horn to make a beat. And then the beast actually danced to it!

Silver Boris Silver on the other hand somehow trained some bumbaloons to sing in high pitched voices, he is that guy that waves that wand thingy and directs the crew.

Friendly Michael Jackson adds the groove to the show, with some pretty sick dance moves. He has his own Aztecosaur break dance squad.

And Hawkules also wanted to join, so we let him play the triangle. And he loves it. Ting!
Old Scrach wanted to show us his yodelling skills... Just bring some earmuffs.

If you ever meet this misfit band, they are called the sailing singers of the spiral. They usually play in the trafalgar vortex, to cover their noise until they get better. Tickets are 5 gold coins. An album is 10. Someday we will have a concert...

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009

challenge accepted

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
While I have only dabbled in music in real life, some piano, enough to be able to play Name That Tune with my friends as they tried to decipher what the heck I was trying to play , I have played some trombone, some glockenspiel and some bass drum in high school bands. As we are talking fantasy here and I can play anything I wish I think I would love to play the Cello. To me the voice of the cello resonates with my soul the most strongly. It is like my soul is singing to God when I hear one. Also I would love to play that bicycle and playing card instrument invented by PDQ Bach in Pervertimento for Bagpipes, bicycle & Balloons. Now THAT looks fun.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
Excellent thread and idea GBalance!

Although I don't seriously play any instruments myself, besides the occasional misadventure here and there, I have a lot of music rooted in my family tree. My grandfather plays in a Bluegrass Band called "The Stringbusters" and he also makes all kinds of music instruments- violins/fiddles, banjos, guitars, mandolins, dulcimers, hammer dulcimers, ukuleles and more.

As for my pirate band, hmm...I think that it would be a band paying tribute to the great late 1800's early 1900's Louisville/Memphis Blues, Ragtime and Jazz "Jug Bands". Seeing as there aren't really too many instrument shops in the Spiral, this would be the perfect type of band and music for my crew. They would scrounge together what they could find to produce some pretty amazing sounds. As for my pirate band line up:

Virtuous Valdus Voss - Jug (Gallon)- produces sounds similar to a sousaphone

Dashing Boris De Bouff - Stovepipe (somewhat similar to a didgeridoo in how you produce the sound)

Nimble Brom Nesbit - Wash Tub Bass (upside down washtub, with hole, attached by string to upright broomhandle)

Cynical Devesh Groot- Washboard (gotta love that washboard sound)

Charming Quincy Clegg - Comb and tissue paper Kazoo...can't have jug band without a well-played Kazoo.

Two-Faced Valkoor Ohlen - Percussions, notably spoons, large pot & wooden spoon, and maybe a bucket

....and of course no Jug Band would be complete without Emmett Otter who would be on a guitar fabricated from a not-in-current-use spine of a Scrimshaw Drake and a tin cigar box.

We of course, would play some of the songs from Jim Henson's Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas special like; "There ain't no Hole in the Washtub", "Riverbottom Nightmare Band", and "Bar-B-Que". I had long ago forgotten about that great movie until I played Pirate101 and first saw Ensign Emmett. Another finely inserted Easter Egg from Mew and Crew, one that some of us slightly older pirates may appreciate. Too many to keep track of, that's for sure.

And that's my pirate band. Thanks for the great thread topic GBalance!
That's an awesome and unique band! I'm found of bluegrass myself!

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
Wow, this is fun seeing all the instruments everyone's pirates play! I hope it's alright if I include some wizards...

Pearl would probably play the fiddle, just because of the ease of transportation, and the fact that her mother once taught her how to play an erhu. Also, she can sing in mezzo soprano or alto.

Connor was raised in Marleybone and played the cittern (it's part of the lute family), and was given a LOT of odd looks because citterns were only played by women.

Scarlet, who is a wizard that joined in on piracy for a bit, plays the piano. (I actually play piano IRL, but none of the other instruments listed so far. ) She also sings first soprano... (and those notes in first soprano are HARD to reach! )

Yeah, there we go.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
That's an awesome and unique band! I'm found of bluegrass myself!
Thank you. I always enjoyed growing up as a kid and my Pop's band coming to play at family get-togethers (including 400+ in attendance 3 day Crab Feasts). Us grandchildren would always pick up an instrument and join in on the playing and singing- and dancing of course. And my kids and their cousins have already joined in on the fun as well. I for one think that Bluegrass is very underrated, because to me they are some of the most talented musicians I have heard. A lot of Bluegrass music is soooo complex and fast paced and amazin. But it is often dismissed before it is given a chance, because to many it sounds a bit unusual upon first hearing it. But I enjoy and it is nice to know that there are others here who do as well.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
While I have only dabbled in music in real life, some piano, enough to be able to play Name That Tune with my friends as they tried to decipher what the heck I was trying to play , I have played some trombone, some glockenspiel and some bass drum in high school bands. As we are talking fantasy here and I can play anything I wish I think I would love to play the Cello. To me the voice of the cello resonates with my soul the most strongly. It is like my soul is singing to God when I hear one. Also I would love to play that bicycle and playing card instrument invented by PDQ Bach in Pervertimento for Bagpipes, bicycle & Balloons. Now THAT looks fun.
GLOCKENSPIEL...that sounds intriguingly fantastic...at first I thought that was a German speech! I think I would like to try my hands at playing that simply for the name alone. In all seriousness, you are right in saying that the Cello is an instrument of sure joy and beauty. And those Bagpipes, Bicycle and Balloons instruments would be nice to have a go at. (I looked up Peter Schikele's works, thank you for that!!!)

I couldn't help but laugh because I definitely remember the good ol' days of using clothes pins to attach baseball cards and playing cards to the spokes of my bike and just listen to the wheels whine. Thanks Chrissy, that brought back some very fond memories.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
Omar plays an array of wind instruments including the flute, recorder, Shawm, and charmer's flute.
Maria is more of a singer, but she is more of a percussionist.
Hobbes plays a lively fiddle.
Sebastian loves raging on the organ and piano (thought he is known to send a few keys flying).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Golden Guardian on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Silver Dino Hawkins is a very strange pirate. He made a new instrument called ship. Well actually he found another use for a ship. You see one day Dino was sailing in the avernus, and the Loch Ness monster showed up. Dino heard tales of old folklore, that music could sooth the dragon. But Dino had no loud instrument, so he instead used his galleons horn to make a beat. And then the beast actually danced to it!

Silver Boris Silver on the other hand somehow trained some bumbaloons to sing in high pitched voices, he is that guy that waves that wand thingy and directs the crew.

Friendly Michael Jackson adds the groove to the show, with some pretty sick dance moves. He has his own Aztecosaur break dance squad.

And Hawkules also wanted to join, so we let him play the triangle. And he loves it. Ting!

If you ever meet this misfit band, they are called the sailing singers of the spiral. They usually play in the trafalgar vortex, to cover their noise until they get better. Tickets are 5 gold coins. An album is 10. Someday we will have a concert...
* Ties a bag of 10 coins for the album and another 5 for a concert seat to a scarakeet and orders him off to the Trafalgar Vortex. *

Gunner's Mate
Apr 13, 2010
Quick Pearl on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Wow, this is fun seeing all the instruments everyone's pirates play! I hope it's alright if I include some wizards...

Pearl would probably play the fiddle, just because of the ease of transportation, and the fact that her mother once taught her how to play an erhu. Also, she can sing in mezzo soprano or alto.

Connor was raised in Marleybone and played the cittern (it's part of the lute family), and was given a LOT of odd looks because citterns were only played by women.

Scarlet, who is a wizard that joined in on piracy for a bit, plays the piano. (I actually play piano IRL, but none of the other instruments listed so far. ) She also sings first soprano... (and those notes in first soprano are HARD to reach! )

Yeah, there we go.
Now I wish I picked the trumpet! (I play trombone IRL. Fun, but very hard to carry.)

-George Gordon, lvl 37

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Golden Guardian on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:

Hey Golden Guardian, your band sounds fantastic, well maybe not to the ears. Hawkules on triangle and Scratch yodeling sounds like a winning combination to me- although the thought of Scratch yodeling is simply hilarious.. Being that your band at the moment may be a bit out of tune and precarious to the ears, I thought of a possible alternate name for your band...Sailors of Song- or...S.O.S, at least until they can better harmonize and fine tune their craft!