Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Aquila is a little... well hard

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Aug 08, 2012
I'm finding Aquila hard so far, and I'm level 59 at the beginning of Aquila. CURSE THOSE HARPIES.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Puppylove1021 on Mar 13, 2014 wrote:
I'm finding Aquila hard so far, and I'm level 59 at the beginning of Aquila. CURSE THOSE HARPIES.
Yea, it's tough but just adjust your fighting style to what you are fighting and you should do fine. If not then do a search using the beast you are having issues with and you will find many a tip right here.

Developer
Hit 'em where they're weak.

If I recall correctly, I had pretty good success defending with Catbeard and Ratbeard, and attacking with Old Scratch.

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2012
Being the last world in the most recent update it is supposed to be hard, but I do understand your dislike of the harpies I found them very difficult and annoying as well. If you are having difficulty to the point of being unable to complete some quests I suggest you do some easier side quests to gain xp and level up. Also you can farm some coins on the way with side quests and use the coins to buy companion training tomes to make them stronger in battle.

Bosun
Aug 08, 2012
Ratbeard on Mar 14, 2014 wrote:

If I recall correctly, I had pretty good success defending with Catbeard and Ratbeard, and attacking with Old Scratch.
Luckily I'm going to finish his 2nd promotion quest (yes I still have it) today hopefully.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

WOOP another Scratchy fan. * Gives secret Scratchy handshake * Our club is small but VERY powerful .

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013

So technically you defended with yourself? Or you got some illegal mojo from a witchdoctor friend to make a double of you. Whatever it is does the captain know he is really ratbeard?

-Jack nightgale lvl 65 buccaneer (Btw did a different skull on purpose, thought this one just deserved it.

Petty Officer
Feb 29, 2012

No offense Ratbeard, but...you use Catbeard? That's odd. And about the hard issue, my sister died 4 times while fighting Ophidian Ships for the oracle.
Noble John Parker, Dark John and Fearless Connor. !

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Harpies were difficult for me, and actually were the first creatures to ever kill me x. x, I then went back and levelled up a bit, and tweaked my companions a bit as well, giving your companions the ability to damage the enemies as much as they can, is a good thing to do, like giving them riposte2 or vengeance strike2 and also First Strike2

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Puppylove1021 on Mar 13, 2014 wrote:
You think Harpies are bad? I have one word for you - SATYRS!

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
anecorbie on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
Hydra

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Noble Tyler Strong on Apr 3, 2014 wrote:
Hydra
Oooh yar, How could I forget she/him/ it?

Ensign
May 27, 2012
I agree that harpies and satyrs are difficult and although it is fun to go into a battle with your friends, sometimes it pays not to, especially against these. It is important to spread your companions out as these guys have wide ranging hits (better to lose one companion than all of them ). Persevere and you may end up, like I do, going back to them as the rewards are worth it

Ensign
Jul 02, 2009
Ettins are very bad for musketeers and witchdoctors because they are melee types.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Aquila is hard right now, but by the time the next books come out it will start to look too easy

Ensign
May 23, 2010

ratbeard, do you have any advice for fighting the Hydra? i'm a level 65 swashbuckler and i'm having troubles beating the hydra

Petty Officer
Jan 18, 2013
Well, I think it's pretty hard, but that's probably because my nautical level is really low. But, since it is the newest world, so it should naturally be really hard, or at least harder than the last ones.

Petty Officer
Jan 18, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 3, 2014 wrote:
Oooh yar, How could I forget she/him/ it?
Oh, boy. I haven't gotten to Hydra yet, but after hearing people talk about him, I'm not sure I want to.

Ensign
Jun 03, 2012
Harpies and the Hydra weren't much of a problem for me, as a witchdoctor and my far ranged attacks I didn't lose much health. The one thing is that I have a horrible Marleybone Galleon and I cannot defeat the Scylla. If you don't know what the Scylla is, its a 4 headed hydra that you have to defeat with your ship. It is solo and its like defeating 4 ships all alone and the ships have 3,000 health. I see here on this topic that everyone has a problem in Aquila. I am so stuck on the Scylla, plus even if I did beat the Scylla my friend and I did the whole game together and since it is solo if any of us beat it the other one will be jealous. Kingsisle atleast make it so you can team up with ships or make them easier. I have given up on Aquila after trying to defeat the Scylla about 20 times. Right now I am working on my level 30 and trying to get more nautical experience. I am currently level 54 in nautical experience and I still can't beat it! Aquila gets harder and harder as you progress on into the game sooner on later it is almost impossible. Most of the level 65's in the game have stopped at a point in the game like the Hydra which you battle at level 65 or the Scylla also at 65. When Kingsisle adds another world no one will do it because not many people have beat the game completely. - Olivia Freeman level 65and Strong Alexis Strong level 30

Petty Officer
Feb 05, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
No don't say the name! Don't say their name! Satyrs are just plain hard. Witchdoctor goat people. What's worse than that?

Daring Destiny Dove- Lvl 65 Musketeer

Petty Officer
Feb 05, 2013
Bucisfav on May 22, 2014 wrote:
Ettins are very bad for musketeers and witchdoctors because they are melee types.
Not necessarily. I strike at range, and they are low health when they finally get to me, and by then, my eagle archers downed them with a over watch.

Daring Destiny Dove- Lvl 65 Musketeer

Petty Officer
Feb 05, 2013
Olivia Freeman on Jun 26, 2014 wrote:
Harpies and the Hydra weren't much of a problem for me, as a witchdoctor and my far ranged attacks I didn't lose much health. The one thing is that I have a horrible Marleybone Galleon and I cannot defeat the Scylla. If you don't know what the Scylla is, its a 4 headed hydra that you have to defeat with your ship. It is solo and its like defeating 4 ships all alone and the ships have 3,000 health. I see here on this topic that everyone has a problem in Aquila. I am so stuck on the Scylla, plus even if I did beat the Scylla my friend and I did the whole game together and since it is solo if any of us beat it the other one will be jealous. Kingsisle atleast make it so you can team up with ships or make them easier. I have given up on Aquila after trying to defeat the Scylla about 20 times. Right now I am working on my level 30 and trying to get more nautical experience. I am currently level 54 in nautical experience and I still can't beat it! Aquila gets harder and harder as you progress on into the game sooner on later it is almost impossible. Most of the level 65's in the game have stopped at a point in the game like the Hydra which you battle at level 65 or the Scylla also at 65. When Kingsisle adds another world no one will do it because not many people have beat the game completely. - Olivia Freeman level 65and Strong Alexis Strong level 30
Hey, don't forget the crab things that board your ship after you kill the 2nd head. The Scylla is a nightmare. Took me like, 12 times. I had to buy a Aquila galleon, but that didn't do the trick, because I couldn't buy any parts O.O But eventually my brother and me killed it.

- Daring Destiny Dove- Lvl 65 Musk

Ensign
May 27, 2012
Olivia Freeman on Jun 26, 2014 wrote:
I feel your frustration with the Scylla, Olivia but it is not impossible. Unlike other ship battles, once your health gets really low you will not get an on board battle until after you've defeated all four heads. This is the way I have done it in the past and has worked for me. Enter the battle from either side of the hydra not straight on, keep your ship a little further back, defeat a head and if your health is still looking good, go for another head and so on. If your health is getting low, back off a little, heal and then carry on. You can actually let your health go down further than you would normally do and once you've defeated all four heads, heal and confidently sail into the battle against the Scylla. They are nasty little creatures but it is Aquila after all and rewards are worth it. Once you've made it, don't forget to find those chests of gold ... best of luck and fair sailing friend

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Satyrs are not so bad: don't stand in clusters however; spread out, or they will clobber you. If you are going to cast a spell on them, do so from a distance or set the center of an area spell outside a satyr, and you will not trigger witch hunter.

The hydra mostly requires patience: follow the rules, try to hit as few heads as possible when the ebon head is down so as to trigger fewer heads to deal with. However, those first heads have a lot of power - get rid of them as fast as possible. I've had consistent good luck with the hydra battles since the update, but some people still report the bug, so if the ebon head isn't showing up, exit the fight and start again (setting a mark outside the hydra cave before the fight is a good idea in case you need to come back)

Scylla is best dealt with by using the Tab key during the ship battle. Cast your ship spells, and heal the ship if needed, then hit 'Tab' and run around on deck quickly taking care of what Scylla spawn tokens you can find within about 15 seconds, then run to the wheel and get back into the ship battle, and repeat. Fussy, yes, but worth it when you just have a few of the Scylla spawns to deal with at the deck fight. The first time I did the battle, I didn't realize using the Tab key was so important, and boy did I have lots of Scylla spawn to deal with! I thought it was just supposed to be challenging that way!

Ensign
Dec 08, 2012
I haven't hit aquila yet but i'm level 57 and coming to it thanks for telling me what I should do!