Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

I need some tips to defeat privateers.

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jan 19, 2014
Since I can't renew my membership until next week for reasons I won't get into, I decided to play some PVP for the first time on my maxed Withdoctor character to help pass the time. Even though PVP is barebone at the moment, I was having really enjoyable matches against other players, regardless on how wide level gap is. Then, I played a few matches against a team with maxed privateers. Soon, my fun turn into sheer frustration.

In a few short turns, the privateers turn their companions into demi-gods. Increase criticals, increase dodge, increase defenses, increase everything. By the time my squad made contact with the enemy, I felt like the battle was already lost. Long story short, my team took a savage beating in that match.

There's no denying that Privateers are dangerous in PvP. Some of the hot topics and my firsthand experience proves that. So, is there any general strategy I should know so I can defeat Privateers and their allies easier? I know Witchdoctor have Purge Magic to remove buffs but you must have an unit around you in order to work. Wtchdoctors can't afford to take a beating like the Buccaneers so it's a risky move to use. Plus, it can remove your allies' buffs which obviously isn't good.

Any good tips is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ensign
Feb 08, 2014
Your a witch doctor so don't go towards the enemy. Let the enemy go to you. Also if they're demi-gods then just use charm on one. I can't really think of anything else except don't use mojo blade/reaver. Privateers have good enough will to take them.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
CoolRebon on Mar 1, 2014 wrote:
Since I can't renew my membership until next week for reasons I won't get into, I decided to play some PVP for the first time on my maxed Withdoctor character to help pass the time. Even though PVP is barebone at the moment, I was having really enjoyable matches against other players, regardless on how wide level gap is. Then, I played a few matches against a team with maxed privateers. Soon, my fun turn into sheer frustration.

In a few short turns, the privateers turn their companions into demi-gods. Increase criticals, increase dodge, increase defenses, increase everything. By the time my squad made contact with the enemy, I felt like the battle was already lost. Long story short, my team took a savage beating in that match.

There's no denying that Privateers are dangerous in PvP. Some of the hot topics and my firsthand experience proves that. So, is there any general strategy I should know so I can defeat Privateers and their allies easier? I know Witchdoctor have Purge Magic to remove buffs but you must have an unit around you in order to work. Wtchdoctors can't afford to take a beating like the Buccaneers so it's a risky move to use. Plus, it can remove your allies' buffs which obviously isn't good.

Any good tips is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
well i have pretty much quit random pvp and moved onto clan pvp (maximum of only 2 pirates per class per team) but target a privateer and it is likely they will keep buffing and neglect themselves or if they do shield themselves, leave their companions without a valuable buff for a round

Gunner's Mate
Jun 27, 2013
Just kill their companions first. A privateer without them is dead. Don't take risks and focus on one companion, even though it has yellow or red.

Lieutenant
Feb 15, 2014
i am a privateer
try to decrease their will

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
There is no denying that in pvp privateers are almost impossible to beat. mainly, i go with 2 options: rush in the beginning, before they can truly get their buffs together, or let them use all their buffs and do your best to avoid combat until the duration is complete. facing them in their full force is a bigger suicide mission than beachhead.

Matthew Walker, level 65
Sly Sloan Silver, level 39

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
You can't beat an all privateer team. Way too many buffs that stack, way too many heals and damage and generally everything from accuracy, to dodge to damage to critical chance to even damage reduction. Don't bother trying to go against an all privy team.

You can't beat an all musketeer team. Way too many traps that cover the board, way too many agility buffs, way too much over-watch burst fire etc... Don't bother trying.

You can't beat an all witch doctor team. Way too much mojo storms, juju's and charms and many sneaky tricks. Don't bother trying...

You can however beat an all swash or buck team, since these guys tend to focus on buffing themselves and be a one man show, rather than being an AoE warrior or team buffing expert. Swashes have a team hide, but barrage that and they lost their only good AoE team effect spell. Their poisons are lethal however, but can be countered since they don't stack. Actually we have 12, and as a last resort that's pretty lethal. Bucks have reckless frenzy, if used wisely then that's a major threat since they are hard to kill. A buccaneer that farms for good gear is a massive threat, and a few of them in a group with strength buffs are lethal. These 2 classes can be defeated by a mixed team easier than another classes.

Conclusion:
A mixed team can not beat an all class team.

Tips for witchdoctors:
-Counter a privateers will by your own juju and will boosts.
-Farm for the 3 valors armor drops that your class can get, and perhaps some valors fortress that gives +50% damage absorbtion. Stack this with your spirit shield.
-Farm for moo-Manchu wand, that gives +6 range.
-Farm for mojo-storm drops.

The only class I have seen that defeated a privy on a 1v1 was a witchdoctor, so take courage friend!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Ok here's a deal. I'll trade information if you give some tips for defeating witchdoctors, buccaneers, swashbucklers, and musketeers. That's only fair right? Then again, I can be a pirate and not tell you a thing...

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
This is what posting your pvp strategy is like: *messenger arrives and gives letter to opposing general* The General reads the letter, "Greetings this is the French Army. We wanted to let you know that we will be crossing the English channel this morning at sunrise and wanted you to know so that you can be ready for our attack. Upon landing we will circle around to your rear guard, kill them and sabotage your artillery and supplies. We wanted you to know so you could place more guards there and protect your stuff.

We wanted to send this letter to let you know how we plan to attack because we feel a surprise ambush would be unfair. Thank you for giving us this time to level the playing field. See you tomorrow."

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
DuranteRamses87 on Mar 3, 2014 wrote:
This is what posting your pvp strategy is like: *messenger arrives and gives letter to opposing general* The General reads the letter, "Greetings this is the French Army. We wanted to let you know that we will be crossing the English channel this morning at sunrise and wanted you to know so that you can be ready for our attack. Upon landing we will circle around to your rear guard, kill them and sabotage your artillery and supplies. We wanted you to know so you could place more guards there and protect your stuff.

We wanted to send this letter to let you know how we plan to attack because we feel a surprise ambush would be unfair. Thank you for giving us this time to level the playing field. See you tomorrow."

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Humor and joking around is one thing but please be careful to not take this too far. Coolrebon did the right thing by coming here and asking for information. It is what we do. When a pirate asks for help then we do what we can to answer their question and we help. We do not choose sides, we help ALL who ask. Please don't carry any PvP side loyalties into this message board family. We are all safe here and we all help each other. OK?

Lieutenant
Jan 19, 2014
Ok here's a deal. I'll trade information if you give some tips for defeating witchdoctors, buccaneers, swashbucklers, and musketeers. That's only fair right? Then again, I can be a pirate and not tell you a thing...

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Musketeers- Play the waiting game.

Witchdocotor- Use cover to block WD line of sight.

Buccaneers- Focus fire.

Swashbucklers- Don't let your buccaneers attack them.

There you go. Tips with interest.

Lieutenant
Jan 19, 2014

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
If you don't want to spill the beans on how to fight Privateers, that's fine.I'm sure you don't want to reveal your secret strategies or maneuvers or whatever tricks you have in your pockets. However this is a PvP forum and strategy is part of PvP.

I'm just looking for general information on what do vs. Privateers. I'm not sugarcoating my intentions nor I'm being vague about it.

Lieutenant
Jan 19, 2014
feasible*. Alright, thank you pirates for your help.

Ensign
Feb 08, 2014
If your a witch doctor then summon your minions. Those are good 8 soldiers (All minions). That will ruin their valors and give them a whole lot more people to fight. So if you summon all thats 12 people you have to fight instead of four