Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

RatBeard's Hand?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 22, 2011
I recently upgraded RatBeard to Rat Admiral, and he now has a hook for a hand. Why is this, because I read all the quest dialogue and nothing came up about him losing his hand. Is there a story behind this, or is it just, the game, ya know?

-Wolf Hawkins, 55

Captain
May 13, 2011
General Jack Squat on Jan 22, 2014 wrote:
I recently upgraded RatBeard to Rat Admiral, and he now has a hook for a hand. Why is this, because I read all the quest dialogue and nothing came up about him losing his hand. Is there a story behind this, or is it just, the game, ya know?

-Wolf Hawkins, 55
one of his attacks is hitting with his hand. maybe KI wanted it to look more dangerous. still, he uses both hands when blocking with his sword so its a little screwed up

Lieutenant
Dec 13, 2008

-Wolf Hawkins, 55
It was just a Visual thing. One of the producers said that they just thought it looked cool so kept the look with the hook. Hey. That rhymed!! I'm so punny.
Stormy Sam, 65

Captain
Oct 15, 2012

-Wolf Hawkins, 55
here is my theory
while celebrating rat beard was cutting some bread to make toast and accidentally cut off his hand i dunno.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
So far it's just the game, there may be some backstory but it has never been revealed.
Personally, I hoping it's just a cosmetic thing, a fake hook that just looked so good, Ratbeard couldn't pass up wearing it.

That or Ratbeard lost his hand in a tragic knitting accident.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013

-Wolf Hawkins, 55
It's just a look I'd say I bet he has got his hand curled up in there lol

Petty Officer
Mar 29, 2012
I think they just do it for the real pirate-look

Blaze

Captain
May 13, 2011
CdeWinter on Jan 23, 2014 wrote:
So far it's just the game, there may be some backstory but it has never been revealed.
Personally, I hoping it's just a cosmetic thing, a fake hook that just looked so good, Ratbeard couldn't pass up wearing it.

knitting? did he want a shark skin sweater? (if anyone didnt know, shark skin is very rough. it was used before sandpaper was invented)

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
I tend to agree with Witchdoctor Darius that his hand is fine, and Ratbeard is using the hook as a weapon - or perhaps, to satisfy pirate vanity! I rather miss his hand, really, as I always thought Ratbeard's gloved hand had been modeled exceptionally beautifully.

Though I like Scarlet's suggestion of Ratbeard suffering from a tragic knitting accident, especially as knitting is not usually considered a dangerous activity! (Though I did once hear double pointed needles -- the kind you use to knit in the round, and historically the ones used much more prevalently -- described as being 'piratical' due to their more 'weapon-like' look. Arrr!)

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
CdeWinter on Jan 23, 2014 wrote:

Definitely the knitting accident. That is brilliant. And I'm sure Bonnie Anne will never let him live it down.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Anne Radcliffe on Jan 23, 2014 wrote:
I tend to agree with Witchdoctor Darius that his hand is fine, and Ratbeard is using the hook as a weapon - or perhaps, to satisfy pirate vanity! I rather miss his hand, really, as I always thought Ratbeard's gloved hand had been modeled exceptionally beautifully.

Though I like Scarlet's suggestion of Ratbeard suffering from a tragic knitting accident, especially as knitting is not usually considered a dangerous activity! (Though I did once hear double pointed needles -- the kind you use to knit in the round, and historically the ones used much more prevalently -- described as being 'piratical' due to their more 'weapon-like' look. Arrr!)
That was just a joke lol it is probably just to make him look cooler

Ensign
Jun 25, 2011
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Deadpoolfanguy on Jan 31, 2014 wrote:
I dont think he will want to anser this thread...
He did answer the question, quite recently in his "Story Thread 3 The Search For Plot" On January 27th @ 8:23am about 2/3 of the way down the page. He is responding to a set of questions from Trimond297