Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbucklers do only half damage with....

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Swashbucklers do only half damage with shooty/slashy weapons. I don't normally play swashbuckler but playing mine with others and doing half their damage while using a shooty/slashy weapon and having more base damage than they do is beyond BS, especially when I'm even using critical cards and they aren't hitting criticals. This matter needs looked into cause damage shouldn't be halved cause you are using a combination of weapons instead of two weapons of the same type.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
I agree with this as well. I have noticed that in theory, a swash with stabby/shooty would be a top tier PvP strategy, with high power range attacks and high power close up attacks. not to mention the scatter shots, which could hit multiple enemies with EXTREMELY high damage. the only issue is that the physical attacks hit with at least 25% less damage than the damage info on my character says it should, and, when using the scatter shots that do 2x damage, it does only about 50% of my max damage from the character info. This really has to be fixed, for I see no reason the damage should be cut.

-F.R. Holystone
lv. 65

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
I meant with shooty stabby weapons, though I'm sure shooty slashy probably is the same way. I'm convinced that a duel weapon combination in use by the swashbuckler class incorrectly cuts its damage in half.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
note: note, when I say cuts damage in half I don't mean weapon damage I mean damage actually done... that is to say given two identical pirate characters one using shooty stabby and the other simply stabby a non-critical poison will do say 100 damage for the shooty stabby and 200 for the stabby only. Again, this needs looking into.

Developer
I'll look into it-- this would definitely be a bug.

Can you provide me with more information? Your level, your talents, and the weapon you're using, for starters.

Community Leader
Combo weapons do not necessarily receive all the same bonuses, that straight weapons do.

I stopped using combo weapons on my Witchdoctor because of it.

Pointed it out here a few times, but developers felt it was working as designed/desired.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Elemutation on Sep 29, 2013 wrote:
I agree with this as well. I have noticed that in theory, a swash with stabby/shooty would be a top tier PvP strategy, with high power range attacks and high power close up attacks. not to mention the scatter shots, which could hit multiple enemies with EXTREMELY high damage. the only issue is that the physical attacks hit with at least 25% less damage than the damage info on my character says it should, and, when using the scatter shots that do 2x damage, it does only about 50% of my max damage from the character info. This really has to be fixed, for I see no reason the damage should be cut.

-F.R. Holystone
lv. 65
I play max level musketeer and privateer, swashbuckler I reluctantly level up since I have one that is high enough in level, and a low level witchdoctor. Musketeer and privateer are by far my favorites, though witchdoctor does have potential if only mine was high level. My swashbuckler though I feel useless upon. At level 55 with stabby/shooty I went to Mooshu only to end up playing with a level 35 privateer that did more melee damage than my swashbuckler per attack as my swashbuckler's damage is clearly being cut in half. My companions are horrible compared to my other classes as I have a hard time buffing and healing them as a swashbuckler, my swashbuckler is seriously gimped due to the horrendous programming error and I refuse to switch to pure stabby weapons as I literally fall asleep playing my swashbuckler if I do since its literally that boring to me. Canister shot on my swashbuckler is funny to watch, and I do have good cards. If the damage issue were fixed I'd still prefer my musketeer and privateer and likely even my witchdoctor over it but at least I wouldn't have to feel embarrassed every time I play with someone else upon it.

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
I've done some research and came up with the same thing y'all are... weird...

I guess Swashbuckler's should stick with Stabby weapons and leave the shooting to Musketeers... Apparently, we move too much and have a hard time getting a good hit, lol

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
When using shooty stabby and likely other combinations with guns I'm unable to attack with stuff like canister shot and throwing daggers when the first space isn't empty. This is yet another error that needs fixed. I guess swashbucklers were never meant by the programmers to use stabby-shooty weapons.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
seasnake on Oct 1, 2013 wrote:
When using shooty stabby and likely other combinations with guns I'm unable to attack with stuff like canister shot and throwing daggers when the first space isn't empty. This is yet another error that needs fixed. I guess swashbucklers were never meant by the programmers to use stabby-shooty weapons.
after paying more attention to this, this sort of thing tends only to occur in dungeon areas, non-dungeons seem to be fine

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Ratbeard on Sep 30, 2013 wrote:
I'll look into it-- this would definitely be a bug.

Can you provide me with more information? Your level, your talents, and the weapon you're using, for starters.
level 57 swashbuckler, and doing less melee damage than a level 35 privateer... any combo shooty weapon does this on my swashbuckler and I haven't tried other combo weapons other than stabby-shooty and slashy-shooty

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
Bloody Belle on Sep 30, 2013 wrote:
I've done some research and came up with the same thing y'all are... weird...

I guess Swashbuckler's should stick with Stabby weapons and leave the shooting to Musketeers... Apparently, we move too much and have a hard time getting a good hit, lol
meh, thats not actually legitimate, the weapon i have is shooty stabby, and when i use it, my shadow dance dont work no more

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Speed Switch on Oct 1, 2013 wrote:
meh, thats not actually legitimate, the weapon i have is shooty stabby, and when i use it, my shadow dance dont work no more
I often wonder if hide in shadows gives the damage bonus its supposed to, I sure can't tell a difference when I hit something using it and when I hit something when I'm not.

Administrator
Our game testers have run several tests trying to reproduce what is being described here and have been unsuccessful. They would like some additional information if those who are experiencing this issue could provide it:

What specific combo weapons (names needed) are you using?
What specific normal weapons (names needed) are you comparing them against?
What are your talents?
Were you using any buffs?
Were there any debuffs involved?

It was mentioned that this acts differently in dungeons than other locations--this should not be the case; however, giving specific information of the location you tested this in would help.

Names of locations tested?
Does this happen every time in this location?
What are the mobs you're facing?

Thanks for your time and reporting! If there is an issue, we'd like to isolate the problem and get to the root of it.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Captain
Oct 26, 2012
Dear Sir Jack the One-Eyed, I am a level 65 (silver dino hawkins). Might I remind that for both the weapons I was using the "team hiding" spell.

As of now I have no problems with my bestarius set (a shooty/stabby) (140-240 damage), it is working fine and seems to be giving the damage correctly per spell. For example an epic "sneak attack" can consist of 2 hits of 350+ damage most of the time.

This current set is doing well compared to the myrmidion brace, if not better.

With my promotheus set (a shooty/stabby) (130-226 damage I think its stats were) set I once had, the issue was completely different. In an epic "sneak attack" spell I would do at max 2 hits of 250 damage, which is significantly lower than the bestarius set.

Suprisingly, even when I applied Great Juju and various other agility boosts, my damage with the promotheus were around the same, if not less. (I applied team spell before i did boosts, and attacked before hiding spell vanished for attacking boost).

The issude for the p.set is same no matter where I am.

Silver Dino