Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Darkness and shadows' epic fail...

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 10, 2009
Ok I know there's a thread about this already, but I feel it needs to be brought up again. Since the December 12 update, walk in shadows and darkness was changed to say it doubles your attack(2x fist) As we all know, there have been major problems with this. It does in fact double your damage on a normal melee attack, but using skills (sneak attack, back stab, assassins strike) I have found it fails at least half the time. To me, this is almost completely defeating the whole purpose of our skill set and it needs to be fixed ASAP. Ratbeard posted in another thread that he wants to revamp this. Please fix this!!!

Brody Armstrong
Lvl 31 frustrated swashbuckler

PS: is darkness and shadows also supposed to double skills like mojo strike and gunnery? Or is it for melee only?

Ensign
Jan 05, 2010
Here is my problem with these talents. Why are enemies still able to block attacks when your walking in shadows or sneak attack. If these talents cloak you, how are they able to block your attacks still?

I used walk in shadows and tried to hit an enemy twice both times I was blocked. That kinda defeats the purpose of "Walking in the Shadows" and other stealth moves if enemies can still block you when your supposedly "hidden".

Ensign
Jun 03, 2009
Before the update they only worked on back stab and assassin's strike. Now it should work on all melee attacks. This late tweeking is a real pain, though managable, we as the consumer should not have to manage. All the tweaking should have been completed. One of my gripes is that it is an automatic 2+ turn ability, during that time in pvp anyone with a targetable AoE can, not only, break your stealth and negate the extra damage, but also have another turn to ply around with while you're left looking silly.

PvP should be like normal P101 battles, not Blue teams turn, then red teams, but all teams. PvP is supposed to be dynamic, not time consuming. The current modle is like pulling nails.

Maybe make walk in shadows make you immune to AoE until it is broken by the user or by the time limit.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I think it is good the way it is.

The way I visualized it just now is to move behind the enemy/mob/player, attack, and THEN stealth.

A player cannot do an AoE move without a unit to target, correct?

A musketeeer could easily avoid this dilemna by employing his/her traps. But even if you don't get to stealth, I don't think that would be gamebreaking for a Swashbuckler.

Wait for an opportune moment, then stealth, then attack, avoiding traps and becoming a direct target of attack.

Ensign
Mar 10, 2009
Thanks for your replies, however this thread is quickly turning into a pvp discussion, and that wasn't my intent. I want to hear from an admin why my shadow and darkness is failing to double the damage of my skill attacks (sneak attack, back stab and assassins strike) literally it fails about 80%. I hope y'all get this fixed soon. Meanwhile, I'm going back on my musketeer where all my skills work properly. :-/

Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
Shiningfantasia on Jan 12, 2013 wrote:
I think it is good the way it is.

The way I visualized it just now is to move behind the enemy/mob/player, attack, and THEN stealth.

A player cannot do an AoE move without a unit to target, correct?

A musketeeer could easily avoid this dilemna by employing his/her traps. But even if you don't get to stealth, I don't think that would be gamebreaking for a Swashbuckler.

Wait for an opportune moment, then stealth, then attack, avoiding traps and becoming a direct target of attack.
In regard to "cannot do an AoE Move without a unit to target".. my experience is that this is not true. Privateer's gunnery can be set on an open square, musketeers can drop bombs/traps on top of you, Bonnie's Scatterblast is directional, Witch has directional attacks, Musk has directional attacks, objects like barrels can be targeted, pets can move near you and be targeted, etc.

It's very rare that, in PvP, I actually get to attack with hiding still active. It's more of a delay tactic.

Developer
I've just finished testing this thoroughly, and it is working as intended. As follows:

HIDE + normal attack = x2 damage

Normal Sneak Attack 1 = x2 damage
HIDE + Sneak Attack 1 = x3 damage

Normal Backstab 2 = x2 damage. Plus BLEED 50% for two rounds (total +100% damage in bleed). Total damage after bleed = x3
HIDE + Backstab 2 = x3 damage. Plus BLEED 50% for two rounds (total +100% damage in bleed). Total damage after bleed = x4

Normal Assassin's Strike 3 = x3 damage. Plus BLEED 100% for two rounds (total +200% damage in bleed). Total damage after bleed = x5
HIDE + Assassin's Strike 3 = x4 damage. Plus BLEED 100% for two rounds (total +200% damage in bleed). Total damage after bleed = x6

This will put you in the ballpark for all results. Your exact results will vary according to:

1) the weapon you have equipped (we multiply weapon damage...)

2) your stats

3) your critical hit roll

4) the defender's armor value.

Ensign
Mar 10, 2009
Thank you so much Ratbeard! This gives us a very good idea about what these skills should do damage wise. Now the only problem is, it's impossible to see what damage ur doing unless it crits, cuz the damage shows up above the top of the screen lol :/

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
So walk in darkness doesn't work with ranged skills?
Ops!

I have thought that my highest hit wich was around 1000 damage was because i used walk in darkness plus a 2xdamage inferno shot, maybe was just a lucky crit?

Eccentric Roberto Bellamy
Confunded Duke of Hannibal

Ensign
Oct 13, 2012
Clownsanity on Jan 21, 2013 wrote:
So walk in darkness doesn't work with ranged skills?
Ops!

I have thought that my highest hit wich was around 1000 damage was because i used walk in darkness plus a 2xdamage inferno shot, maybe was just a lucky crit?

Eccentric Roberto Bellamy
Confunded Duke of Hannibal

yes it does just put on critical boost and stats boost then use walk in darkness

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
herobrine029 on Feb 19, 2013 wrote:
yes it does just put on critical boost and stats boost then use walk in darkness
Ah ok thx ^^.

The OP did a question wich is still not answered:

-quote gtipett-

PS: is darkness and shadows also supposed to double skills like mojo strike and gunnery? Or is it for melee only?

I tried it and i could confirm that shadow walk plus mojo strike doesn't work, since mojo is a spell (same with mojo blade), i don't know if it works with staffy weapons ^^, would be nice to have some weapon icon on the card description for to solve any trouble ^^.