Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Bonnie Ann's Double Tap

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 29, 2009
Has anyone else been experiencing issues with Bonnie Ann's 'Double Tap' talent? I will give you a prime example:

I was farming the Burno Chapel for some of Phule's gear the past couple of days and Bonnie Ann's attacks went like this; Attack, Burst Fire [Defeats Enemy], Double Tap, Burst Fire [Defeats Enemy], Double Tap, Burst Fire [Defeats Enemy] etc. etc.

I have literally seen Bonnie Ann clear the entire fight with just 'Double Tap'. Please look into this.

Also as a misc: For a while now I have noticed that when the camera switches to a companion/enemy who is off-screen they appear to have just fallen and landed on the battle board.

Community Leader
Line Mountain on Jan 25, 2013 wrote:
Has anyone else been experiencing issues with Bonnie Ann's 'Double Tap' talent? I will give you a prime example:

I was farming the Burno Chapel for some of Phule's gear the past couple of days and Bonnie Ann's attacks went like this; Attack, Burst Fire [Defeats Enemy], Double Tap, Burst Fire [Defeats Enemy], Double Tap, Burst Fire [Defeats Enemy] etc. etc.

I have literally seen Bonnie Ann clear the entire fight with just 'Double Tap'. Please look into this.

Also as a misc: For a while now I have noticed that when the camera switches to a companion/enemy who is off-screen they appear to have just fallen and landed on the battle board.
I've seen Bonnie Anne take down a two mobs with a chain of Burst Fires, but since I don't have a higher rank of Double Tap, she only ever uses it once. She is a pretty powerful character and if you have her set up correctly, she can do some very serious damage!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
May 31, 2010
I'm pretty sure that's working as intended. It's a fairly specific selection of skills, and it has several important limits. First, Bonnie Anne only even has the option for this setup after you've finished all of her promotions. Second, doing this means you had to give up Overwatch or Quick Draw, or any of the other talents she can learn. And finally, it'll only work if Bonnie Anne gets the finishing blow on an enemy - if she's clearing whole rooms, you're probably not fighting things at your own level. (Or you've spent the whole fight *not* focusing on a single target.) Head to MooShu and pick a few fights with Inoshishi Bandits, and then see if you still think that build is "overpowered."

Burst Fire only has a chance to activate, and only if the attack hits in the first place. The chance is rolled for each attack, but I've gone entire fights without it happening once. Especially against really Dodgy enemies like the Inoshishi Bandits. Double Tap will only activate when the enemy is defeated by the character with that talent. I prefer to take talents like Quick Draw or Overwatch, which give my characters a chance to fire during the enemy turn. (I don't usually take Return Fire though - enemy ranged attackers seem to mostly have very high Accuracy, and rarely miss when attacking any of my ranged crew members.)

From my point of view, Overwatch is a more generally useful skill than Double Tap, since Overwatch could potentially be triggered every turn if the enemy keeps running around. Double Tap can only trigger once per enemy per fight. IE, if you're facing four enemies, the best possible case is that Double Tap will go off three times during the entire fight. (It won't activate for the final enemy because there's nothing else to use the bonus attack on.) And getting all three bonus attacks would require that the Double Tapper gets the finishing shot on every enemy.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
If you are farming Phule, this phenomenon should not surprise you.

Community Leader
That is how a Rank 2 epic talent works.

It can be triggered up to 3 times a round.

Bonnie Anne is one of my top 5 companions in the game, she can literally "clean house" with that rifle!

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Jun 11, 2011

Dude, it's unfair, but i'd be happy!

Ensign
May 29, 2011
ShadowsBetween on Jan 25, 2013 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's working as intended. It's a fairly specific selection of skills, and it has several important limits. First, Bonnie Anne only even has the option for this setup after you've finished all of her promotions. Second, doing this means you had to give up Overwatch or Quick Draw, or any of the other talents she can learn. And finally, it'll only work if Bonnie Anne gets the finishing blow on an enemy - if she's clearing whole rooms, you're probably not fighting things at your own level. (Or you've spent the whole fight *not* focusing on a single target.) Head to MooShu and pick a few fights with Inoshishi Bandits, and then see if you still think that build is "overpowered."

Burst Fire only has a chance to activate, and only if the attack hits in the first place. The chance is rolled for each attack, but I've gone entire fights without it happening once. Especially against really Dodgy enemies like the Inoshishi Bandits. Double Tap will only activate when the enemy is defeated by the character with that talent. I prefer to take talents like Quick Draw or Overwatch, which give my characters a chance to fire during the enemy turn. (I don't usually take Return Fire though - enemy ranged attackers seem to mostly have very high Accuracy, and rarely miss when attacking any of my ranged crew members.)

From my point of view, Overwatch is a more generally useful skill than Double Tap, since Overwatch could potentially be triggered every turn if the enemy keeps running around. Double Tap can only trigger once per enemy per fight. IE, if you're facing four enemies, the best possible case is that Double Tap will go off three times during the entire fight. (It won't activate for the final enemy because there's nothing else to use the bonus attack on.) And getting all three bonus attacks would require that the Double Tapper gets the finishing shot on every enemy.
I think you guys are getting the wrong idea. She/he never said double tap was overpowered or unfair. I think she's/he explaining a glitch. If you've ever farmed phule before, a TON of enemies come in that battle, so it'd take more than 3 double taps to "clear the house". It could be that this person is experiencing a glitch that double tap reacts more than its supposed to.

Ensign
Dec 15, 2012

i notice that double tap can also work with fires so if your on a ship get bonnie anne to blast a fire cus then she will then do a double tap on some thing

Petty Officer
Jun 06, 2009

Is Bonnie Ann defeating the entire enemy team bad? No, it's amazing! There's no need to adjust it or look into it at all.