Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

PvP

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
Community Leader
I would love to see Pvp as the ships actually doing the battles between players. I know you can get armor and weapons for them but why?

Owner of Paige's Page Perilous Paige. "Honorary Black Cat of the entire Pirate 101 Fleet"
Community Leader
Paige MoonShade on Mar 14, 2012 wrote:
I would love to see Pvp as the ships actually doing the battles between players. I know you can get armor and weapons for them but why?
Hi Paige!!!

That would be cool, and makes sense. I pictured epic 4 vs 4 battles with players on the grid, but using the ships could be very interesting.

Using ships reminds me of the old Tradewars BBS game. It was text based so you couldn't see what was going on but you were able to upgrade your ship's different attributes and attack others or even tank their attacks. It was like open world pvp where you had to be on guard at all times. Kind of like WoW, anyone is fair game.

Maybe we could have both, individual team pvp and ship battles.

Cannot wait to see this game mature!!

Community Leader
Ahoy! Jester :)

Oh Arr!. I could see t' ships battlin' with six pounder fire goin' off, rammin' speed, so much more could be goin' on with these battles. I played a few text( browser) based games aft then ;)

Both would be awesome.

Owner of Paige's Page Perilous Paige. "Honorary Black Cat of the entire Pirate 101 Fleet"
Ensign
May 21, 2008
Jester on Mar 14, 2012 wrote:
Does it exist and if not will it be added in the future?
Yes, though I can't promise it will be there at launch (if you'll recall, PvP wasn't supported when we launched Wizard, either.) I also have some ideas that I would like to add to combat before PvP comes online, I think it would make it a lot more interesting and fun.

J Todd Coleman
Kingsisle

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
One thing I have to say about PvP. I hope that PvP would not become open PvP as described by Jester ... that would not only kill the game for me, but for others that think and play like me.
As long as PvP is kept seperate from the PvE world, and PvP rewards don't unbalance the game in terms of PvP vs. PvE equipment, I would never have a problem with it.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Actually, I am not even Sure if KI could do this, but one Idea, is to make a PVP realm, where you can literally fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. You can also have friends join your crew, so you can have those 4v4 battles, ship battles, the whole 9 yards.
Only problem with this, it would require high levels to be in one area and low levels be in another area. And, if there is a high level on the crew, they would automatically be taken to the highest level area of the party. That would keep things balanced and fair and not allow puppet teaming.
Just my thoughts on the pvp subject.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Quite honestly, considering the nature of Wizard101 and Pirate101 being 'family' oriented more than anything, I would say not to include PvP at all, on any realm, except keep it in an enclosed and seperate environment like in Wizard101.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Shiningfantasia on Jun 2, 2012 wrote:
Quite honestly, considering the nature of Wizard101 and Pirate101 being 'family' oriented more than anything, I would say not to include PvP at all, on any realm, except keep it in an enclosed and seperate environment like in Wizard101.
The problem there, is that PvP has majorly slowed the expansion of Wizard101. Without PvP, wizard101 would not have as many issues with creativity, spells, wands, gear, etc. PvP seriously limits what each school can and can't have.

This game is a bit different, so it's harder to limit it's expansion, considering there are no power pips and pips for school & secondary school spells, etc. If you train it, you can use it. The only reason I suggested the realm for PvP, is because this game specifically, is designed for such an adventure. It's like being in a Vast Ocean, sailing the Seas, and eventually, you come upon another ship. Ahoy, there be plunder a brewin, Man the Cannons!

This game is made for such a scenario and would be marvelous in such a concept. It also makes it very different for 1v1 pvp, as you don't know what companions you would get in battle with you. You might get 2 of your low level companions, while your opponent gets all 3 of his top level companions.

Yeah, will be interesting to see how this will develope into the game.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I do realize PvP is immensely popular. I had commented to my Group leader at work one day "I really don't like PvP."
His response to me was "Then why play a MMO?"
That made me realize, that the reason the majority of people play mmo's is to kill other people. I feel really lame for being one of the only ones in the world that does not enjoy PvP. I even tried to MAKE myself like PvP by playing Aion and Modern Warfare. I quit both.
A seperate realm would probably be fantastic. What would probably work better, I think, if you made a challenge prompt. "<Player> challenges you to warfare!" [Yes] or [No].
But, that of course would promote complacency, and it may make PvP less realistic.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Shiningfantasia on Jun 6, 2012 wrote:
I do realize PvP is immensely popular. I had commented to my Group leader at work one day "I really don't like PvP."
That made me realize, that the reason the majority of people play mmo's is to kill other people. I feel really lame for being one of the only ones in the world that does not enjoy PvP. I even tried to MAKE myself like PvP by playing Aion and Modern Warfare. I quit both.
A seperate realm would probably be fantastic. What would probably work better, I think, if you made a challenge prompt. "<Player> challenges you to warfare!" [Yes] or [No].
But, that of course would promote complacency, and it may make PvP less realistic.
Oh, awesome Idea, I like that even better. Wtg Shining!

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I am flattered! I am all red in my face now and all giggly. ** BLUSH
Came to me from the duel prompts initiated by World of Warcraft players when not in a PvP zone/realm.
xD

Ensign
Jan 24, 2010
For what it's worth, I'm not fond of PvP either. I like to enjoy an immersive story line, engaging characters, challenging quests, and the scenery :)

If PvP IS implemented in Pirate101, I do hope it is entirely separate from PvE, so as to avoid the problems we currently have in the Spiral, with the inequity that exists between PvE and PvP. I want this game to be free of the verbal fisticuffs :)

Just my thought,

CannyB

Ensign
Feb 12, 2009
Several "hack and slash" MMOs have the option of rolling on either PvP or PvE servers. Both types of servers have dedicated PvP battlegrounds, so even if you roll on PvE you can do PvP. On the other hand, these games are not nearly as affordable as KI games; there is a monthly subscription even after paying for the game client and each expansion.

I play on a PvE server in "the game that shall not be named" (inside joke with Friendly), but players can challenge me to a dual at any time - even players from my own faction. I get a pop-up in my face when it's requested. Boy is it annoying when I'm trying to quest and I get ten requests for a dual from the same player in 30 seconds. I had to install an add-on to automatically decline each dual. Yes, it would be better for me as the consumer to merely be able to set this an an option in the game interface (automatically decline all dual invitations). But if this "not named" game had a settings option for to users to shut off everything annoying about the game, they would have to hire half of the state of California to keep up with the code.

It's pretty typical for PvE skills to get borked in order to make PvP balanced. In general, I think that developers work hard to provide PvE gear and other experiences to help boost the game value for PvE players in the face of these changes.

Community Leader
I play MMO's for the connection with other players. Not really into the PvP aspect either. One reason I like Wizard101 The PvP section is way over in Unicorn way. I do not have to go there if I do not wish to. So you are not the only one. ;) I do PvP in players houses when they have events as these are fun and friendly style of PvP.

I agree and like the idea of separate realm or like Wizard101 maybe a world just for PvP as I would love to try it with Pirate101 but not sure if I can handle the "I want to hurt you feeling of PvP" It will be interesting to see how Pirate101 will differ from Wizard101 in PvP game play, to see if I enjoy it or not.

Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
This is exciting! I can't wait to see what it's like. My boat is still basically driftwood with a cannon held on by bubblegum and duct tape, but I am envisioning armadas clashing in the sky.

The idea of Team PvP that starts in broadside combat seems extremely cool.

Ensign
Jun 19, 2009
To add my thoughts, I would also not like open world pvp. I'm sure us Pirates are very honourable ones, who would much prefer to duel other pirates where what goes on in the esteemed "arena" or maybe "arena skyway?" stays there. I'm up for PvP in every respect though.

With the possibility of different battle fufillment requirements for non-ship combat, the variety of PvP type gameplay you could do is interestingly a lot broader than Wizard101, and I'm sure there could be the same variety involving ships too.

Ensign
Feb 25, 2010
Lunarus on Aug 11, 2012 wrote:
To add my thoughts, I would also not like open world pvp. I'm sure us Pirates are very honourable ones, who would much prefer to duel other pirates where what goes on in the esteemed "arena" or maybe "arena skyway?" stays there. I'm up for PvP in every respect though.

With the possibility of different battle fufillment requirements for non-ship combat, the variety of PvP type gameplay you could do is interestingly a lot broader than Wizard101, and I'm sure there could be the same variety involving ships too.
"The Battlewinds"

Ensign
Oct 20, 2011
I think there's so much they can do with it to make it more than a simple PVP Dueling battleboard. Why not have a separate stormgate that whisks you away to an even more remote and unsettled area of the spiral. In this desolate area, there is no law just straight up broadside combat and plunderin').
Pirate Crews (I understand that crew has been established as a "group" in P101 so it'd need a new moniker but...) can work together to establish a stronghold. Once they do, they can do PVP quests and battles to aquire new upgrades to said fortresses. They can amass fleets of ships to pillage and plunder or to simply rule the skies. Of course, whatever you have on your ship is fair game if you lose so make sure it's either very well equipped (so you don't lose) or sparcely equipped (so you don't lose much).
Of course, this is coming form a person that loathes PVP so this may not appeal to an actual PVPer. However, if this existed, even I might consider PVPing.

Ensign
Dec 12, 2010
Just a PVP-related suggestion - I very much like the powers and talents as they are now. The one thing that I'd like to address is the possibility of a 'reshuffle' type power in P101, to get all of powers back and be able to reuse them. There's nothing like that in the game right now and I would like to ask (beg even, lol) - PLEASE keep it that way. As it is, you have to be wise with how and when you use those skills - and no battle can go on forever. You can't keep healing over and over. After a certain point, defeat on one side or another imminent. I love that for the PvP aspect of this (no 10 hour+ battles) , and also for the PvE aspect. It forces you to think twice before throwing something away. I can already see people down the line asking for this sort of a power so that they never have to worry about being defeated - please don't do it. The way it is now is perfect, imho.

Oct 31, 2008
Online game play used to focus mostly on PVP styles of play, players looking for challenges in shooter games that AI couldnt hold their own on. However MMOs are for interactive game play, not necessarily battles against each other. What type of "play" can vary, I for one did so many of those shooters early on I have no interest in PVP anymore.
I understand a need for PVP, all the pirate games I have tried, have had it.
I know of one pirate game I tried a few years ago, where the "ocean/map" had areas that were pvp.
If you entered those waters, you were subject to battle. If you steered clear of those waters... you were fine. As long as those waters could easily be avoided by players that didnt want to PVP it was fine.
I stopped playing that game because it required me to sail right through these areas on occasion, and they had players that would just sit and wait for unsuspecting non-pvp players entering the zone because the game did not give you a choice, these PVP players would then ruin/ransack the ships of the questers, ruining hours of play/work, etc. People are often evil when it comes to their computer games.
I think a different realm(s) for PVP is a good idea. Might also be easier to implement a slightly different rule set should PVP environment require it.

Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
Katherine Light on Aug 13, 2012 wrote:
Just a PVP-related suggestion - I very much like the powers and talents as they are now. The one thing that I'd like to address is the possibility of a 'reshuffle' type power in P101, to get all of powers back and be able to reuse them. There's nothing like that in the game right now and I would like to ask (beg even, lol) - PLEASE keep it that way. As it is, you have to be wise with how and when you use those skills - and no battle can go on forever. You can't keep healing over and over. After a certain point, defeat on one side or another imminent. I love that for the PvP aspect of this (no 10 hour+ battles) , and also for the PvE aspect. It forces you to think twice before throwing something away. I can already see people down the line asking for this sort of a power so that they never have to worry about being defeated - please don't do it. The way it is now is perfect, imho.
I agree. I'm a huge fan of deck manipulation in Wizard101, but you can't deny the insane match lengths that are going on now. I really like that there's a limited pool to draw defense spells from.

Ensign
Oct 27, 2009
Maybe in addition to a formal arena, what about an outer winds area (like the outer rim in star wars ^^) where you could attack anyone within so many levels of you? The out winds would be an area where all civilization has long broken down, dangerous monsters roam, and unbelievable treasure awaits for the few who manage to return alive . The deeper you go into the area the wider the level restriction gets, the more dangerous the monsters get, and the greater the rewards). I'm thinking the skyway would be near ds? Where ever it is, it should scream danger.

Ensign
May 02, 2010
I very much love that once a power is used it is gone. That will go a long way and making sure any particular power does not become overpowered, breaking the balance. I do not like the idea of a ranked matched system though, honestly the ranked match system at this time has been a mess in w101. I would wait tell you get it just right there before you consider such a system for pirates. I would start with a practice system first and let players work out any major issues that way first and go from there..

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
Pvp will be added in at a later date, and I know it wasn't in w101 at launch. I myself like to do pvp every now and then as its a fun pass-time when I don't feel like questing. I'm more into casual pvp play then super-competitive pvp though, meaning I want to win but I like to try to have fun too.
In Eden Eternal and World of Warcraft (aka the game that shall not be named), whenever you want to pvp someone, they will get an option on whether or not they want to duel that person in a 1v1 pvp match then and there (battles aren't turn-based in those games, meaning you have to keep/think on your toes if you want to make as few mistakes as possible), and that may work here as well.
If KI does work similar to w101, it'll probably be somewhere on skull island, since in w101 the pvp arena is in wizard city, but we'll see what the future holds.