Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What is a Buccaneer?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 15, 2012
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
DashThunder on Nov 2, 2013 wrote:
Can a Buccaneer use a single handed sword
Yup, there are all kinds of stuff you can use and you can even stitch the look of another weapon onto yours as long as it is the same type.

Ensign
Dec 15, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Nov 3, 2013 wrote:
Yup, there are all kinds of stuff you can use and you can even stitch the look of another weapon onto yours as long as it is the same type.
ok thx also do u have any suggestions to as what class I teach into as my secondary class for my buccaneer people say privateer while others say witchdocter what do u recommend?

Ensign
Dec 15, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Nov 3, 2013 wrote:
thx chrissy

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
DashThunder on Nov 5, 2013 wrote:
ok thx also do u have any suggestions to as what class I teach into as my secondary class for my buccaneer people say privateer while others say witchdocter what do u recommend?
Well I can tell you what mine has. My Chrissy strong is currently level 59. She trained in Privateer for the heals and for slashy weapons as there are lots of strong combo weapons that are smashy/slashy , Like the Dragoon Greatsword that with her current boosts gives her 307 in damage stats and before that she had Friar Sand's weapon and was able to get double boosts as it is also smashy/slashy. Also she trained in Swashbuckler for stabby weapons as smashy/stabby can be quite high in damage. She also used the Swashbuckler Fast to increase her reach and of course she got Walk in Shadows for the damage boost and that wonderful ability to hide while waiting for a heal, which has made the difference in winning and a loss in more than one fight. She also picked up Hurl Knife from the Swashbucklers. This way she can be the great bruiser that she is designed for but can also sneak around and do the light looking swashy stuff that can really do some damage.
Hopefully this is helpful for you. Please feel free to ask any other questions.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hey DashThunder,

My pirate is a level 65 named Two-faced Valkoor Ohlen. I have trained him similar to the way Chrissy has trained hers and found that it is a great way to go. I used practice points for some of the privateer healing powers and for some of the swashbuckler powers too. I currently have these powers (some with gear, some through practice pts)- walk in shadows, assassin's strike, sneak attack, assassin's mist, hurl knife and dance of steel.

As Chrissy stated, these are excellent powers for a who already is equipped with high health, heavy armor and multiple vengeance strikes and blade storms. Like she said the ability to stay hidden that comes from walk in shadows (or shadow step) is a very valuable power. You can heal without worrying about taking damage the next turn, use shielding powers while hidden, wait for your better powers to come up and let's not forget the x2 damage. If you use hidden power, use healing/shielding/or other buffing powers for first few turns and then on last turn of hidden use another power like Assassin's Strike or Sneak Attack, you can do tons of damage. Also the ability to poison can come in handy big time. Especially if you come so close to finishing off an enemy with another attack and then they are hit by that extra dose of poison- it can mean the difference between your pirate taking damage from one extra enemy.

One other tip that works for me is for when you get reckless fury at level 65. Use as many of your shielding powers (Leviathon's Call, Kraken's Lament, Triton's Song, Valor's Shield or any others) as you can before going with reckless fury. It saves you from taking a lot of damage. Without any shielding my pirate takes about 157 damage with every successful reckless fury strike. When I use all of my shielding powers first he only takes 21 pts of damage per successful hit. Huge difference maker in battle. You can hide, shield then go in with reckless abandonment.

Good Luck in game and in life

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Buccaneers rules, not only this class got awesome strength and great defense. This class also got high health and last a long time in battles,based on my gaming experience.Did I mention it makes the game a lot easier ? Based on my experience I have progressed in the game very quickly as a Buccaneer, and was a lot of fun.

" Hit Hard and never give up."- Reckless Nicole Ramsey

Lieutenant
Oct 29, 2012
what is the buccaneer
ONLY... the best class ever
i love being a buccaneer
so good power ups and tasks.

Petty Officer
Nov 10, 2012
sweettaffey on Nov 3, 2012 wrote:
Which ship do you think is best for a Buccaneer to have? Frigate or Gallion or other?

I like the Gallion for the double cannons, however Monquista Gallion looks too pretty for a Buccanneer and I don't think Frigate parts will fit on a Gallion, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know if Frigate parts fit on a Gallion?
every ship equipment of a hull type of the same will fit on all of the classes

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
My favorite pirate is a Buccaneer and i do like the Go at them strategy :)

Ensign
Nov 02, 2013
Mordekai on Mar 1, 2012 wrote:
Buccaneers are sturdy warriors, who rely on brute strength to overcome their enemies. They wear the heaviest armor, carry the biggest weapons. What Buccaneers lack in grace or finesse they make up for with raw courage: withstanding enemy attacks is the key to a Buccaneer's strategy.

If you are a Buccaneer look for ways to boost your STRENGTH
Though, I like Buccaneers and Musketeers, I seem to find buccaneers weaker, though my Musketeer has a lot of long ranged skills, my buccaneer seems to have less skills and less protection. Though, buccaneers are stronger than musketeers, they just have less protection, and stuff.

By- A level 11 Musketeer and level 11 Buccaneer

Petty Officer
Dec 21, 2013
we should all feel sorry for Mordekai the threshers killed his tribe he is the only hammerhead cutthroat left
I am a buccaneer named Terri from I like him he may be like prepare yourself in a kinda rude tone and are you afraid ... you should be but he can be nice he may be brutal and strict but on the inside he is loving and nice
buccaneers learn to be true swordsman and fight in heavy armor without being slow.
if you want me I in mooshu at the part where ninja pigs kill that bird doing splits on two pieces of bamboo I at the cave of whispers waiting on help

Terri the buccaneer

ride the skys to die

Ensign
Apr 28, 2012
I've noticed that not many girls are buccaneers. I am. I'm level 14. LOVE IT!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
orangeapplett on Jun 5, 2014 wrote:
I've noticed that not many girls are buccaneers. I am. I'm level 14. LOVE IT!
Welcome to the message boards Orangeapplett.
I have a lady Buccaneer and my Chrissy Strong kicks some royal tush and loves it.

Ensign
Jun 19, 2014
Ensign
Jun 21, 2013
As having a Max as well, to me a Buccaneer is the tank of the game, having intense armor, going out on the front line and clearing out the field so the rest can catch up and help later on. Also they have the heaviest weapons, while being able to take intense hits, they can deal heavy damage as well.
- Sneaky Valerian Chamberlain 65

- Not about what you level you, just how you act to the lower levels 65 , ,

Ensign
May 31, 2013
Mordekai on Mar 1, 2012 wrote:
Buccaneers are sturdy warriors, who rely on brute strength to overcome their enemies. They wear the heaviest armor, carry the biggest weapons. What Buccaneers lack in grace or finesse they make up for with raw courage: withstanding enemy attacks is the key to a Buccaneer's strategy.

If you are a Buccaneer look for ways to boost your STRENGTH
Buccaneers are the best other than swashbucklers

Ensign
May 04, 2014
Just hit level 59 as a privateer (my first character).

When I was in the early levels, I saw buccaneers as pretty generic, at least the companions. Ratbeard was fun as a character, but not a great fighter really and Egg Shen was occasionally productive. Then I "got" my first swashbuckler, El Toro (I have only used the companions you meet in game so far), and was stunned at the amount of damage they did. For a while I used El Toro, Ninja Cat and Monkey King as my three companions, swashbucklers all, just watching them riposte everything in sight and wondering why I would ever bother with a buccaneer.

However, now in Marleybone, and facing lots more musketeers and others. Nothing to riposte against, and really need companions with powers to proactively have epic/super/mega attacks. Give Egg Shen a little relentless, and then the powers Ratbeard gets as Rat Admiral, and I have a newfound respect for buccaneers. The variety of powers and talents is pretty cool, even with just the companions.

Much love to you buccaneers. I think I may play one as my next character.

Ensign
May 30, 2014
Personally, I think buccaneers make good first-time pirates. I started out as a buccaneer, then went back and got one pirate of each class to level 10, then bought membership and I've been on my buccaneer ever since (I'm planning to return to my others once I'm done with her though!).
Because buccaneers have such great defences (if you play them right), they're great for experimenting with. As a buccaneer you may still be able to tough-out a battle even if your strategy doesn't work out. So you can learn from your mistakes without necessarily having to die and redo a particular battle over and over again. The game is faster-paced that way, and then playing through as another pirate seems less repetitive.
Of course, I'm sure that's true of any class if you're careful enough. But buccaneers seem especially perfect for it.

Cunning
Iris (46)
&
Megan (10)
&
Natalie (10)
&
Molly (10)
&
Bridget (10)
Quinn

Ensign
May 13, 2011
They are my favorite class because of the damage rate.

Ensign
Apr 18, 2010
Dreadknott223 on Oct 23, 2012 wrote:
Can you train to wear heavy armor as a Musketeer and where do you buy the training point at to obtain the heavy armor skill.
like not relvant

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2013
Buccaneers are strong and persistent warriors who never give up in a fight and are the toughest of all living beings. If there's one thing a buccaneer should know, it's always fight before you think, because when you see a tough guy who doubts your toughness, prove him wrong and pummel him with power of a true buccaneer. Strength is the key to taking down your foes, and the more you have, the easier it will be to take down enemies. Speaking of enemies, true Buccaneers should always be feared and never messed with. Those poor enemies don't know what they're in for when they encounter one and they know they have 2 choices, and it is very hard to decide which one to choose: Run away like a wimp, or fight like a true opponent. Unfortunately, they are no match for you, and they would surrender quickly. All Buccaneers out there, remember that you have true power inside you, and do not be afraid to use it. Be brave, daring, and courageous. All Buccaneers must have those 3 feelings. Axes and maces and powerful weapons are to be desired for yourself. -By Practical Gorman Whitman

No need to be applause my long but very inspiring speech about Buccaneers.

Ensign
Aug 28, 2014
Practical Gorman W... on Jan 10, 2015 wrote:
Buccaneers are strong and persistent warriors who never give up in a fight and are the toughest of all living beings. If there's one thing a buccaneer should know, it's always fight before you think, because when you see a tough guy who doubts your toughness, prove him wrong and pummel him with power of a true buccaneer. Strength is the key to taking down your foes, and the more you have, the easier it will be to take down enemies. Speaking of enemies, true Buccaneers should always be feared and never messed with. Those poor enemies don't know what they're in for when they encounter one and they know they have 2 choices, and it is very hard to decide which one to choose: Run away like a wimp, or fight like a true opponent. Unfortunately, they are no match for you, and they would surrender quickly. All Buccaneers out there, remember that you have true power inside you, and do not be afraid to use it. Be brave, daring, and courageous. All Buccaneers must have those 3 feelings. Axes and maces and powerful weapons are to be desired for yourself. -By Practical Gorman Whitman

No need to be applause my long but very inspiring speech about Buccaneers.
Well said!

Buccaneers are the best class for a person who likes to not spend TOO much time buffing, but still wants to be able to charge in without dying. (I am one of these people )
A good thing about us Buccaneers is that we can draw attention to ourselves, directing it away from our precious Companions.
We also get Vengeance Strike, a very useful epic that lets us strike back when attacked.
We get to use Smashy and Big Choppy weapons, which are very useful tools for pummeling our enemies.
Make sure to keep your companions trained, too! A Captain is only as good as his/her crew, and it's true for each and every Buccaneer captain out there.
For all the Buccaneers out there, be proud of your class. If any opponent bests you, train, get stronger, and overcome your weaknesses. Then, prove to them that YOU are the better warrior. Listen to Mordekai, our class trainer. He is a true Buccaneer.

Stay strong,
- Black Pearl

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
As a Buccaneer adventuring the skyway was not easy. This is still my favorite class, known for it's multiple damage in combat and a little speed boost from the raised in Moo Shu trait.She is faster than the typical Buccaneer. I'm just waiting for a level cap incearse to continue the main storyline. Also known for thire bravery and often fight in the front line in battle. This class earned the nickname in my opinon the warrior pirate faction or the dauntless class.

Tip-Try framing for the Gortez's axe and/or the Fairair Sand's weapon. If got lucky and got these/this rear weapon(s). Your Buccaneer (s) ( or other class, I don't recommend giving heavy weapons to witchdoctors but it's your choice.) is/are forced to be reckon with. I'm still trying to farm this items but no luck on either weapons sadly.

Lieutenant
Nov 11, 2012
A Buccaneer's power is very high, they can be Very powerful. But their Weapons Are Hard To Find.

Jack Emmet, Buccaneer