Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What If You Could Gift Areas?

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I got to thinking about people who start playing the game for the first time recently. As of right now you can already earn crowns if you get an IRL friend to buy crowns. This is good but how does that encourage your friend to play the game as they likely wouldn't buy crowns until after they have tried the game to begin with so in a way that defeats the purpose.

I starting thinking about what I would do to improve this and I got the idea what if when you refer an IRL friend to Pirate 101, they got the first bought area free! How they could do it is by making a special code good for 72 hours after your IRL friend logs into their Pirate 101 account, that would add your pirates as true friends as well as giving them the first area free, this would give them more time to see if they like the game before the decision to buy crowns, membership, or neither.

After that what if you could gift areas to your true friends? I think that would be a nice way to get your IRL friend to play with you!

What does everyone think of this idea?

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
RRRRZZZZ419 on Aug 9, 2018 wrote:
I got to thinking about people who start playing the game for the first time recently. As of right now you can already earn crowns if you get an IRL friend to buy crowns. This is good but how does that encourage your friend to play the game as they likely wouldn't buy crowns until after they have tried the game to begin with so in a way that defeats the purpose.

I starting thinking about what I would do to improve this and I got the idea what if when you refer an IRL friend to Pirate 101, they got the first bought area free! How they could do it is by making a special code good for 72 hours after your IRL friend logs into their Pirate 101 account, that would add your pirates as true friends as well as giving them the first area free, this would give them more time to see if they like the game before the decision to buy crowns, membership, or neither.

After that what if you could gift areas to your true friends? I think that would be a nice way to get your IRL friend to play with you!

Wow, that's a great idea! I suppose the only thing is, KingsIsle wants (er, should I say, needs) money. Gifting areas or even gifting the whole game sounds like a way to beat around paying for a membership... Although it is expensive to buy areas, so if gifting areas is the same amount of Crowns you can use to buy an area for your account, it would require you to buy Crowns, so... Great idea!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

( Wonders if Dino knows anything about businesses selling a service & finance in general... )

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Basically, you can buy your in-real-life friend a Gift Certificate for enough Crowns to buy several of the initial areas of the game.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 9, 2018 wrote:
( Wonders if Dino knows anything about businesses selling a service & finance in general... )
Why does that matter if gifting areas would cost the same amount of crowns as the person buying the area themselves, I think Helpful Aurora Parker is right that if this idea was implemented there is no way Kingsisle would give the person a discount that gifted the area to their IRL friend.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Why does that matter if gifting areas would cost the same amount of crowns as the person buying the area themselves, I think Helpful Aurora Parker is right that if this idea was implemented there is no way Kingsisle would give the person a discount that gifted the area to their IRL friend.
Why do you think this is a good idea? Either they get their own crowns for membership or to buy an area - it's not hard to do this.
There are many items available that a friend can gift to another friend, even gifting crowns with a gift certificate. This will add more agony on players from beggars it's bad enough when I help someone then hear "Please gift me a pack/mount/gear." so this will cause: "Please gift me this area!"

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 11, 2018 wrote:
Why do you think this is a good idea? Either they get their own crowns for membership or to buy an area - it's not hard to do this.
There are many items available that a friend can gift to another friend, even gifting crowns with a gift certificate. This will add more agony on players from beggars it's bad enough when I help someone then hear "Please gift me a pack/mount/gear." so this will cause: "Please gift me this area!"
How could you help someone if they didn't own the area their quest was in, if they wanted the area from you they would be forced to ask first and you wouldn't have to listen. I think is would be a good idea because it would be a nice way to quest with IRL friends through the game. If they were new to Pirate 101 they might not know how crowns work and spend them recklessly, if you could gift them the area they would for sure have it. Of course almost all good ideas can have something bad that comes from them.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Aug 12, 2018 wrote:
How could you help someone if they didn't own the area their quest was in, if they wanted the area from you they would be forced to ask first and you wouldn't have to listen. I think is would be a good idea because it would be a nice way to quest with IRL friends through the game. If they were new to Pirate 101 they might not know how crowns work and spend them recklessly, if you could gift them the area they would for sure have it. Of course almost all good ideas can have something bad that comes from them.
If you want to help IRL friends, then you can buy them a game card or gift certificate. If they choose to squander their crowns on something else, that's up to them.
There are already methods in this game to do what you've described.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
RRRRZZZZ419 on Aug 12, 2018 wrote:
What you're suggesting here sounds more like you're trying to push/drag your reluctant In-Real-Life friend through the game rather than help them enjoy it and discover its wonders for themselves.

"They would be forced to ask" you to buy the area if they didn't have access? You wouldn't trust them to spend their crowns wisely after you explained how they work?

If you have a real-life friend who would like to try Pirate101, the best way to help them is to answer questions and be there when they need you, but then back off while they go exploring on their own. If you are constantly baby-sitting them with your higher level pirate and defeating their enemies for them, telling them what gear to use or what companions and powers, how is that fun for them?

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Willowydream on Aug 13, 2018 wrote:
What you're suggesting here sounds more like you're trying to push/drag your reluctant In-Real-Life friend through the game rather than help them enjoy it and discover its wonders for themselves.

"They would be forced to ask" you to buy the area if they didn't have access? You wouldn't trust them to spend their crowns wisely after you explained how they work?

If you have a real-life friend who would like to try Pirate101, the best way to help them is to answer questions and be there when they need you, but then back off while they go exploring on their own. If you are constantly baby-sitting them with your higher level pirate and defeating their enemies for them, telling them what gear to use or what companions and powers, how is that fun for them?

But people who haven't played Pirate 101 or Wizard 101 may not understand how the "crowns" system works, especially people who aren't even teenagers yet. So while my idea does seem like it would be "babysitting them", for someone of a young age it could be helping them.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Aug 14, 2018 wrote:
But people who haven't played Pirate 101 or Wizard 101 may not understand how the "crowns" system works, especially people who aren't even teenagers yet. So while my idea does seem like it would be "babysitting them", for someone of a young age it could be helping them.
If they're that young, then they're getting their crowns from parents or a guardian. They will tell them what their crowns are for.
Many players new to P101 or W101 have also played other MMOs, all these games have a monetary system geared to real money put into the game. Even I, with my limited experience ,understood that "Crowns" ( or what ever the game named them ) were items or services only available with real money as soon as I hit my first "paywall".
I find KI games unique, in that I don't have to have membership to access areas; I have an option. It's nice that you worry that others may not understand how to play, so maybe you can include this in the game play tips thread from Bat Masterson; to inform others how to use their crowns.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
RRRRZZZZ419 on Aug 14, 2018 wrote:
It's not rocket science. Most on-line games have a similar system for in-game purchases, whether they call it crowns or gold or pixie-fairy credits. If you have a really young player, then you probably don't want them to have vast chunks of crowns at once, but for someone so young they don't understand how money works any way, presumably they'd have an adult nearby keeping an eye on them.