Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbuckler Companion: Fan Flanders issue

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 16, 2012
Hello fellow pirates. I have an issue with my companion Fan flanders. (the companion from the quest "Inhuman Resources" for swashbucklers) No matter how many ranks of the talents Dodgy and Tough that I give her, she always dies and frankly, its starting to get on my nerves. If not for her agility buff, I wouldn't be using her at all. I need advice on how to best deal with this. If any of you could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Pretty Kaitlyn Everhart Level 55 swashbuckler
Melody Dove level 30 privateer

Community Leader
Fan tends to be a pretty squishy unit, particularly if she is very underleveled (5+ levels below your pirate). As you said, giving her dodgy 4 and tough 4 is a must (also give her rough 4 and accurate 4). She is best paired with El Toro, as his dodge buff will put her dodge up to around 200 (at max level, not sure what it is exactly at your level). This will make her very likely to consistently dodge anything except musketeers, who are unlikely to chain on her regardless, and some buccaneers with Turn the Tide 2+.

As for epic talents, I run first strike 3, relent 2, and blade 1, but there are a lot of possibilities. For a PvE-centered build, I'd probably run riposte 2, blade 2, relent 2 to maximize her damage output. Finally, be on the look out for opportunities for enemies to trigger her flanking, breaking her hide (when paired with fog), and possibly submitting her to counter-chains. An enemy will be able to force-trigger her flanking when there is an exactly 1 square gap between fan and another melee unit.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Ensign
Oct 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on Aug 9, 2019 wrote:
Fan tends to be a pretty squishy unit, particularly if she is very underleveled (5+ levels below your pirate). As you said, giving her dodgy 4 and tough 4 is a must (also give her rough 4 and accurate 4). She is best paired with El Toro, as his dodge buff will put her dodge up to around 200 (at max level, not sure what it is exactly at your level). This will make her very likely to consistently dodge anything except musketeers, who are unlikely to chain on her regardless, and some buccaneers with Turn the Tide 2+.

As for epic talents, I run first strike 3, relent 2, and blade 1, but there are a lot of possibilities. For a PvE-centered build, I'd probably run riposte 2, blade 2, relent 2 to maximize her damage output. Finally, be on the look out for opportunities for enemies to trigger her flanking, breaking her hide (when paired with fog), and possibly submitting her to counter-chains. An enemy will be able to force-trigger her flanking when there is an exactly 1 square gap between fan and another melee unit.
My fan flanders is only 1 level below me. I do use El Toro but I made the mistake of giving him Repel Boarders. Fan has first strike 2, riposte 2, blade 1 and relent 1. She is only level 54 and my pirate is level 55. I always strategically place Fan so that neither Toro or Sarah are opposite her thus triggering the flanking.

Pretty Kaitlyn Everhart level 55 swashbuckler
Melody Dove level 30 Privateer

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I must say I've noticed a lot of swashbuckler's not taking the time to properly prepare Fan for combat before sending her into the fray. What sort of enemies are you fighting, and do you change your strategy for using Fan to address the talents and powers of those enemies? Are you using any sort of protection power on her? Are you using Armor doubloons to protect her fragile person? Are you protecting her with a ranged companion or a buccaneer with Hold the Line while you get her set up for her attack?

Community Leader
KaitlynEverhart on Aug 10, 2019 wrote:
My fan flanders is only 1 level below me. I do use El Toro but I made the mistake of giving him Repel Boarders. Fan has first strike 2, riposte 2, blade 1 and relent 1. She is only level 54 and my pirate is level 55. I always strategically place Fan so that neither Toro or Sarah are opposite her thus triggering the flanking.

Pretty Kaitlyn Everhart level 55 swashbuckler
Melody Dove level 30 Privateer
Fan definitely needs to have Relentless 2, as it massively increases her damage output. If you get a chance, reset your Toro too.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP