Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Some Bloody Flames Questions

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hey RB, I just had a couple of questions about the Blood Flames from Captain Blood's Jacket.

I have noticed that on many occasions the Flames become extinguished after only one enemy runs into them and takes damage from them. Sometimes they stick around after the enemy is damaged by them and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they will damage two enemies before calling it quits. And I've also seen some flames hit/damage three separate enemies in one round and still stick around until the end of the round, and hit an adjacent enemy before poofin' out-- thus doing 1000+ damage four times over, before they exit the board.

I was just curious how the mechanics work for the Blood Flames and if it is just a random roll on how long the Flames stick around (and perhaps what that roll was). I've tried to observe any consistencies, but for the most part it seems rather random and no specific scenario determines how many times they can do damage before they are extinguished, when enemies come into contact with them. I thought it may have to do with the whole ally/neutral/enemy side of the board, zone thingy. But I've seen on many occasions it work every which way in all three zones.

So, how exactly do the mechanics work for Blood Flames?

Thank you in advance for any reply and or insight.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Aug 5, 2016 wrote:
Hey RB, I just had a couple of questions about the Blood Flames from Captain Blood's Jacket.

I have noticed that on many occasions the Flames become extinguished after only one enemy runs into them and takes damage from them. Sometimes they stick around after the enemy is damaged by them and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they will damage two enemies before calling it quits. And I've also seen some flames hit/damage three separate enemies in one round and still stick around until the end of the round, and hit an adjacent enemy before poofin' out-- thus doing 1000+ damage four times over, before they exit the board.

I was just curious how the mechanics work for the Blood Flames and if it is just a random roll on how long the Flames stick around (and perhaps what that roll was). I've tried to observe any consistencies, but for the most part it seems rather random and no specific scenario determines how many times they can do damage before they are extinguished, when enemies come into contact with them. I thought it may have to do with the whole ally/neutral/enemy side of the board, zone thingy. But I've seen on many occasions it work every which way in all three zones.

So, how exactly do the mechanics work for Blood Flames?

Thank you in advance for any reply and or insight.
I'll see if I can pay closer attention to specific scenarios when using the Blood Flames....and make note of them. Maybe I will be able to pinpoint some consistencies that will help better understand how the mechanics of the Flames work. Don't get me wrong I absolutely am thrilled when three enemies walk into the same Flame, they take damage, two of them end their turns adjacent to that Flame and at the end of the round they both get blazed by it again, before it poofs out.

I'm just curious about how it happens that way sometimes and at other times, it's a 'one-and-done' deal. And it doesn't appear that any specific thing affects the various scenarios. But perhaps some more research will help. Or maybe I should just chalk it up to chance and pure randomness?

But if you happen to have any neat programming insight to add, Ratbeard (and of course, time to spare and share)-- I'd surely enjoy learning more about how the Blood Flames perform.

Developer
Well, I didn't design this one (that's one of the reasons it's a persistent thorn in my side...) but let me peek inside and see:

The Blood Flames summon a prop, with a duration of 10 turns. (So they'll burn out after 10 turns regardless.)

The flame prop deals damage based on the summoner's spell power.

The flame prop has 1 hit point.

The flame prop has two interact options, the most notable of which is that you can attack it.

The flame prop has one game effect on it ("burning") with two different triggers-- On_Enter, and On_Tick.

It deals magical damage.

After dealing damage (regardless of what trigger activated) it has a 75% chance of burning out.

I believe that last sentence fully answers your question, but I was in a giving mood.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Ratbeard on Aug 9, 2016 wrote:
Well, I didn't design this one (that's one of the reasons it's a persistent thorn in my side...) but let me peek inside and see:

The Blood Flames summon a prop, with a duration of 10 turns. (So they'll burn out after 10 turns regardless.)

The flame prop deals damage based on the summoner's spell power.

The flame prop has 1 hit point.

The flame prop has two interact options, the most notable of which is that you can attack it.

The flame prop has one game effect on it ("burning") with two different triggers-- On_Enter, and On_Tick.

It deals magical damage.

After dealing damage (regardless of what trigger activated) it has a 75% chance of burning out.

I believe that last sentence fully answers your question, but I was in a giving mood.
Mighty kind of you, Ratbeard.

I really appreciate the giving of your time and also for digging into the Flames-- OUCH!! I can imagine how someone else's creation can complicate things at times. I get that in my line of work all the time (carpentry/construction). Like when I have to go in and fix, build upon and/or work around someone else's already-in-place work.

But that is definitely far more info than I had hoped for-- thank you kindly. And that last sentence does indeed fully answer my questions(s). So those times when a Flame burns 3 incoming units, and still does damage at the round's end, must really defy those 75% chance odds! The rest that you offered up is still actually pretty cool to know, as well. It always sounds more interesting coming from those that know how to speak the language. And I still actually enjoy learning how 'it' all works. I've always been fascinated by how things work...anything and all things.

Without sounding too clueless, does the 'On_Enter' just refer to the "burning" when a unit comes into contact with it...by way of entering an adjacent square? And the 'On_Tick' is the "after-burn", that comes at the end of the round? Sounds pretty straight forward, but I just wanted to make sure.

And I'm thankful that it deals magical damage. For my Buccaneer would have a hard time boosting the Flames' damage output without Old Scratch and Spell Power Doubloons. Though I did train him in Spooky 1/Spooky 2 so that he could add some oomph to the Flames and heals.

Again, thank you very much!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
A couple more questions if and when you get a free moment.

How come the damage from the 'On_Enter' interact point doesn't kick in before Epic chains. Like the other night during a Kane run, Queen moved a few tiles and ended in a turn in a tile adjacent to a flame. She also ended up Flanking one of my units and she had less than 500 health (the flames each did 2000+). Before the Flames damage kicked in, her Flanking did and then a chain of about a dozen or so Epics (from her, Quint and Gracie).

Their positioning and moving in crew behind them is key to their effectiveness (especially solo, in tough instances). I also noticed that they do no damage if an enemy unit moves through another unit that is already adjacent to one-- even when landing next to a different Flame. Kind of like a no damage version of Hold the Line, when passing through an ally negates the HtL. Queen had no enemy units next to her, nor did she move through one. She also did not start next to any Flames. She moved about 3 or 4 tiles and stopped adjacent to one, along with Flanking Quint and also being adjacent to Gracie. Then her Flanking and the ensuing chain kicked in. It seems that the 'On_Enter' should have been triggered before the Epic chain.

So, should the Flames do damage first? Or is this one of those aspects that has helped add to that "thorn in the side", that Blood Flames has proven to be?

Thank you in advance.