Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Scent for Pirates

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 23, 2012
There have been many complaints about swashbucklers' hide powers due to the fact that they can't be removed, and

protect the targets from most attacks. I think it would be a good idea to add gear for pirates that give scent as a way

to have a better counter, just like when one had to get Bishop's goggles and purge magic to counter privateer

powers. This would allow the power to remain unchanged, while giving others a way to defend against it.

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2012
Companions can have QD3/FS3, both which remove the hidden effect. This is a completely viable counter IMO, since any school can use it.

Scent for your pirate completely abolishes the point in hiding. Why waste a turn hiding when it's removed the next round from scent. Isn't it supposed to have 2x damage, not just hide for 5/3 rounds?

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
there was an item but bucklers complained about it and had it removed

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Ninja Kirby on Aug 10, 2015 wrote:
There have been many complaints about swashbucklers' hide powers due to the fact that they can't be removed, and

protect the targets from most attacks. I think it would be a good idea to add gear for pirates that give scent as a way

to have a better counter, just like when one had to get Bishop's goggles and purge magic to counter privateer

powers. This would allow the power to remain unchanged, while giving others a way to defend against it.
As others have mentioned, but didn't elaborate on.....there use to be gear with scent in the game that rendered hide completely ineffective and was removed. Unlike a pet (which is uncontrollable), a player with scent can move to any "hidden" unit to remove it and any hidden unit cannot approach the target with scent at all. No other talent can render a power completely ineffective has scent on gear. Below is the thread that convinced Ratbeard to remove scent from Fin's Goggles.

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-shipyards/to-ratbeard-discussion-of-hidden-and-scent-8ad6a41447f29a6a0147faea7b1b0640

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
Scent on a pirate effectively immunizes that pirate from all copies of a class's prime power. This is unacceptable.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
In my experience, FS3/QD3 does not remove the hidden effect until the hidden unit is right next to them and ready to strike. Also, a hidden melee unit (Buccaneer - hidden by Fog) moved right next to my Bonnie Anne (who had QD3) and was still hidden. Maybe QD3 only sees other Musketeers? In another fight, a Swashbuckler was able to move right next to Ratbeard (he had FS3) and became visible when his attack started. Ratbeard did strike first but neither of my Musketeers attacked with Overwatch. So far, from what I have seen, FS3/QD3 are not counters to either Fog or Hide. A true counter would be where the hidden units becomes visible to the entire team when the Companion can see them at the distance of his/her/its sight capability.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
As I understand scent, only when the pet with scent is right next to the hidden unit, is the hidden unit "seen".

Ensign
Oct 18, 2009
i know right, this update does not even do anything to the over powered bucklers at pvp

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2012
The Helpful Pirate on Aug 11, 2015 wrote:
In my experience, FS3/QD3 does not remove the hidden effect until the hidden unit is right next to them and ready to strike. Also, a hidden melee unit (Buccaneer - hidden by Fog) moved right next to my Bonnie Anne (who had QD3) and was still hidden. Maybe QD3 only sees other Musketeers? In another fight, a Swashbuckler was able to move right next to Ratbeard (he had FS3) and became visible when his attack started. Ratbeard did strike first but neither of my Musketeers attacked with Overwatch. So far, from what I have seen, FS3/QD3 are not counters to either Fog or Hide. A true counter would be where the hidden units becomes visible to the entire team when the Companion can see them at the distance of his/her/its sight capability.
QD3 only shoots at gun users (It doesn't function like Overwatch, lol). FS3 only strikes melee users. Overwatch can't target hidden enemies, it is working as it was intended. It is a FIRST STRIKE so why would FS3/QD3 activate when no-one is about to hit them?

What is the point in hiding if someone can just carry Bonnie with O3, destroying the hidden effect. This doesn't make sense if you are supposed to not be targetable while you are hidden. This would unbalance the game because Swashbuckler is very fragile. They are meant to be quick and deal MASSIVE damage. It would be way more difficult to win in PvP if you can't even use your own class's powers. Lets not even get into the subject of BF.

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2012
tenmaxz11 on Aug 11, 2015 wrote:
i know right, this update does not even do anything to the over powered bucklers at pvp
Oh look! Another OP Buckler for the win! NOT! Believe it or not, Swashbuckler loses. Its not a matter of "I Black Fogged, crown me as your new king, MWAHAHA!". If you believe that Buckler is invincible, you are setting yourself up to lose.

Instead of complaining that Buckler is OP, why not try to figure out a counter yourself about it. How about that Highland Charge, Shadow step, Raise Barricade (Now with 5), Battle Zeal, or even maybe your own hide. Do you want me to point out what is OP about every class? Every class has its advantages and disadvantages.

Learn how to use your powers effectively, and the other player will be at a major disadvantage. You are making PvP into an art form that is not how it was meant to be. Do you know you can still shield stack? How about that 150 damage Buckler does to you then? Not so OP, huh.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Helpful Pirate on Aug 11, 2015 wrote:
Quick Draw is used against an attack by a musketeer on that companion with that talent. A melee attack never triggers a quick draw, a range attack never triggers a first strike.
The situation with the Swashbuckler exposed by Ratbeard's first strike, where you say your musketeer companions failed to Overwatch - overwatch is only triggered when an opponent moves ( and must be seen to move ) within the overwatch area. The SB was already within the area when he began his attack.
Understanding how talent attacks work can give consistent results, learn to use them.
When facing hidden opponents - do they have:
Over Watch, if so move toward them
Cheap Shot, move past them ( unless they also have hold the line )
Repel Boarders, go stand in one square near them ( Sarah is particularly prone to this )
Flanking ( ugh, Fan ) also any SB with those Nefarious Knives. Get between them ( consider yourself the filling of a flank sandwich ).
Readied Spell, just like over watch; only for witchdoctors.