Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Promoting Positive Ranked PvP

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Nightblood1995 on May 28, 2015 wrote:
What do you mean? The only 'luck' factor I can see taking place in Pirate101 is whether or not you Crit, and what level of Crit you will receive. Going first or second in Ranked PvP doesn't really change anything, because if you go first you might be able to move first but if you go second you can play defensively and read your opponent's intentions. So, in my opinion, the 'going first' argument is (thankfully) not a valid issue in Pirate PvP.

If I misread what you meant, I apologize in advance.
While I agree with luck not really being that much of a problem (exculding Doubloons), here are the things effected by luck:
Dodge/Blocks
Damage Amount
Critical Chance
Relentless/Burst Fire/ Mojo Echo
Doubloons

Ensign
Jun 30, 2013
Nightblood1995 on May 28, 2015 wrote:
What do you mean? The only 'luck' factor I can see taking place in Pirate101 is whether or not you Crit, and what level of Crit you will receive. Going first or second in Ranked PvP doesn't really change anything, because if you go first you might be able to move first but if you go second you can play defensively and read your opponent's intentions. So, in my opinion, the 'going first' argument is (thankfully) not a valid issue in Pirate PvP.

If I misread what you meant, I apologize in advance.
Ahoy!
What I meant was exactly what you've said. The fact that only luck decides who will win, without minding the little effect of strategy, is the problem. And I'm only remarking of W101 PvP, not P101. On one hand, going second against your opponent leaves you with only very little hope to win in most cases. Take storm against fire or balance with the storm going second for instance. What's the chance of the storm winning against the best 2 classes while storm is the second lowest tier school while the opponent went first? Tower and Volcanic shields spam, lots of damage, Loremaster or Fire From Above or Krampus and finally the heavy reliance on luck for crits. Do you get my point now?
On the other hand, if the storm player gets the first turn, he still has a big chance of winning, but might still have to rely on luck, the card draws may be bad, he might get a critical hit landed on him/her, the opponent can get lucky with a pet heal, etc.
And you wasn't mistaken in your reply. Actually, in P101 PvP, going first or second or having a crit on is very common and doesn't always turn the tide. For example, the opponent can't cast defenses right before you hit if he starts first, hence the order of the teams' turns doesn't make that big of a difference.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Mindy GoldenHeart on May 30, 2015 wrote:
Ahoy!
What I meant was exactly what you've said. The fact that only luck decides who will win, without minding the little effect of strategy, is the problem. And I'm only remarking of W101 PvP, not P101. On one hand, going second against your opponent leaves you with only very little hope to win in most cases. Take storm against fire or balance with the storm going second for instance. What's the chance of the storm winning against the best 2 classes while storm is the second lowest tier school while the opponent went first? Tower and Volcanic shields spam, lots of damage, Loremaster or Fire From Above or Krampus and finally the heavy reliance on luck for crits. Do you get my point now?
On the other hand, if the storm player gets the first turn, he still has a big chance of winning, but might still have to rely on luck, the card draws may be bad, he might get a critical hit landed on him/her, the opponent can get lucky with a pet heal, etc.
And you wasn't mistaken in your reply. Actually, in P101 PvP, going first or second or having a crit on is very common and doesn't always turn the tide. For example, the opponent can't cast defenses right before you hit if he starts first, hence the order of the teams' turns doesn't make that big of a difference.
You forgot to note that in W101 there is a possibility of a 'fizzle'. This doesn't happen in P101, our power attacks go through, with a chance of a critical.
I think that 'luck' as a variant to P101 PVP is very low, the PVP here is strategy heavy. If you make foolish mistakes you'll lose to a smarter, more savvy opponent.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Voodoo Cornelius on May 29, 2015 wrote:
While I agree with luck not really being that much of a problem (exculding Doubloons), here are the things effected by luck:
Dodge/Blocks
Damage Amount
Critical Chance
Relentless/Burst Fire/ Mojo Echo
Doubloons
Hmm, I see what you mean. I knew about Dodge/Block, Damage and Crit having the random 'luck' factor (or at least a 'ranged' factor) but Relentless/Burst Fire/Mojo Echo can be manipulated to go off more, from what I've experienced that is. My Peter Quint, for example, ALWAYS gets at least one Relentless or Blade Storm off, mainly because I gave him those two talents so he'd keep hitting in order to increase his chances of activating one or both talents. In addition, I gave him Strong along with his other stat boosts, which does increase your chances of activating those types of talents. If your Companion/Character's main stat is higher than your target's the calculation is used to determine how often your Relentless/Blade Storm/Burst Fire/Mojo Echo will activate. So, in a way, you can kind of control how often those activate simply by boosting your main stat as high as possible. That's just from what I've experienced though, so if I'm wrong on some of the details I stand corrected.

I never had much of any Doubloons so I can't comment about those, but since it's in your suggested list I'll be sure to remain aware of that, thanks!

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Mindy GoldenHeart on May 30, 2015 wrote:
Ahoy!
Ah, well, that's probably the biggest reason I left W101 and don't like their PvP system. In P101, it doesn't matter who goes first since you both don't move at the same time, which is a beautiful system in itself. Promotes strategy over 'randomness'. I can agree with you, the current PvP system we have in the game is flat-out awesome! I wouldn't want it to change any other way, but when Ranked comes into play I hope nothing drastic happens.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on May 31, 2015 wrote:
You forgot to note that in W101 there is a possibility of a 'fizzle'. This doesn't happen in P101, our power attacks go through, with a chance of a critical.
I think that 'luck' as a variant to P101 PVP is very low, the PVP here is strategy heavy. If you make foolish mistakes you'll lose to a smarter, more savvy opponent.
luck is still very heavy here, i'll use my earlier match against a clanmate for this, toro one rounded tonka from full health, then dodged my toro which had zeal and call to arms, and then landed a riposte, another match against another clanmate kevin, was about to flawless the next round, he one shotted me from full health with a mega hidden assassin, even though i had outplayed him every other round, one lucky assassin won him the game

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
zuto4011a on Jun 1, 2015 wrote:
luck is still very heavy here, i'll use my earlier match against a clanmate for this, toro one rounded tonka from full health, then dodged my toro which had zeal and call to arms, and then landed a riposte, another match against another clanmate kevin, was about to flawless the next round, he one shotted me from full health with a mega hidden assassin, even though i had outplayed him every other round, one lucky assassin won him the game
And the match we did last night how I would of won one turn sooner if my soul shroud did not hit my baar and hit one of the many summons there is luck in pirate101 pvp

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Well, we all know the 'luck' factor here isn't as aggravating nor primarily decisive before the first round compared to W101. However, I do also recall Ratbeard stating in another post years ago that luck is another tool we need to master; do we send one unit to 1v1 with another unit or do we send all our units to attack 1 unit at a time? It does play into strategy, and every Talent plays off of many different factors. Your main stat (Strength, Agility, Will) may influence how often, and what level, your Crit but it does not decide if you will hit or miss before it goes through (which is decided by Accuracy and Dodge). So, if you max out your Agility but have the worst Accuracy in the game, it doesn't matter since you'll hardly hit your target to begin with. The same applies vice versa: if you have the lowest main stat possible but have the highest accuracy you will most likely hit more often, but you'll hardly ever Crit or activate specific Talents. Also, keep in mind that Dodge/Accuracy are clinched after a certain point: there is no way to Dodge every attack or land every hit; there will always be a slight chance to Dodge/Block and a slight chance to Miss; so don't think that by maxing out your Dodge on yourself or a Companion means you won't ever be hit . This is probably my favorite 'part' of the game: nothing is guaranteed, so strategize accordingly.

P101 PvP is still a lot more strategy-based than W101, which is normally decided on the first round by who goes first. Either way: luck is still somewhat influence-able and easy to accommodate for. If you leave things up to chance, then you're getting what you ask for. If you take no chances, then the results are of your own actions.

Lets not forget the original concept of this thread: Promoting Positive Ranked PvP. In other words: how you would like to 'better' the old system.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
To promote a positive Ranked experience I would like to have the "FLEE" option altered. I'm sure we've all experienced being abandoned in the middle ( or even start ) of a match. It seems some pirates can't stand being defeated and think fleeing will protect their record, or they don't trust the team they're playing with to heal or help them.
I would like to see the FLEE button replaced by a CONCEDE or SURENDER button. How this would work is this: if a pirate wishes to concede a match, they will click on the button, but they won't automatically be able to leave.
A notice then appears to the other pirates that says "One of the team would like to concede/surrender, do you agree?" With a "YAR" or "NAR" available. A concession/surrender must be unanimous, otherwise the match continues.
I'm interested in hearing feed back on this idea, is it too harsh?

NOTE: This is not blaming a low level pirate who flees when confronted by a team way beyond their level, fleeing in that case is sensible. And since we're talking about ranked PVP, I don't think an under leveled pirate will be facing such a situation.

Developer
Nightblood1995 on Jun 2, 2015 wrote:
Well, we all know the 'luck' factor here isn't as aggravating nor primarily decisive before the first round compared to W101. However, I do also recall Ratbeard stating in another post years ago that luck is another tool we need to master; do we send one unit to 1v1 with another unit or do we send all our units to attack 1 unit at a time? It does play into strategy, and every Talent plays off of many different factors. Your main stat (Strength, Agility, Will) may influence how often, and what level, your Crit but it does not decide if you will hit or miss before it goes through (which is decided by Accuracy and Dodge). So, if you max out your Agility but have the worst Accuracy in the game, it doesn't matter since you'll hardly hit your target to begin with. The same applies vice versa: if you have the lowest main stat possible but have the highest accuracy you will most likely hit more often, but you'll hardly ever Crit or activate specific Talents. Also, keep in mind that Dodge/Accuracy are clinched after a certain point: there is no way to Dodge every attack or land every hit; there will always be a slight chance to Dodge/Block and a slight chance to Miss; so don't think that by maxing out your Dodge on yourself or a Companion means you won't ever be hit . This is probably my favorite 'part' of the game: nothing is guaranteed, so strategize accordingly.

P101 PvP is still a lot more strategy-based than W101, which is normally decided on the first round by who goes first. Either way: luck is still somewhat influence-able and easy to accommodate for. If you leave things up to chance, then you're getting what you ask for. If you take no chances, then the results are of your own actions.

Lets not forget the original concept of this thread: Promoting Positive Ranked PvP. In other words: how you would like to 'better' the old system.
Lets not forget the original concept of this thread: How you would like to 'better' the old system?

This sounds like fun. Can I play?

1. Fix buff stacking so that the matches play out closer to the intended design
  2. Fix a handful of (PvP) problematic powers, talents, and items
  3. Randomize the first turn order and find an equitable fix for the first turn advantage
  4. Introduce some new things to shake players out of their complacent routines
  5. Implement a robust ranking, scoring, and reward system that borrows from the best (hardest) lessons learned from W101
  6. Do all of the above while pleasing both the PvP and PvE players

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Nightblood1995 on May 31, 2015 wrote:
Hmm, I see what you mean. I knew about Dodge/Block, Damage and Crit having the random 'luck' factor (or at least a 'ranged' factor) but Relentless/Burst Fire/Mojo Echo can be manipulated to go off more, from what I've experienced that is. My Peter Quint, for example, ALWAYS gets at least one Relentless or Blade Storm off, mainly because I gave him those two talents so he'd keep hitting in order to increase his chances of activating one or both talents. In addition, I gave him Strong along with his other stat boosts, which does increase your chances of activating those types of talents. If your Companion/Character's main stat is higher than your target's the calculation is used to determine how often your Relentless/Blade Storm/Burst Fire/Mojo Echo will activate. So, in a way, you can kind of control how often those activate simply by boosting your main stat as high as possible. That's just from what I've experienced though, so if I'm wrong on some of the details I stand corrected.

I never had much of any Doubloons so I can't comment about those, but since it's in your suggested list I'll be sure to remain aware of that, thanks!
Oh, I was just pointing out what had luck to do with it, most of these can be heavily effected in your favor, again, excepting doubloons.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ratbeard on Jun 2, 2015 wrote:
Lets not forget the original concept of this thread: How you would like to 'better' the old system?

3. Randomize the first turn order and find an equitable fix for the first turn advantage
  5. Implement a robust ranking, scoring, and reward system that borrows from the best (hardest) lessons learned from W101
If you achieve #6 it'll be a miracle!

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008

Reading things like this make me excited! Even small teases like this of what might possibly come in the future help get the playerbase excited.

Thanks for the reply Ratbeard.

To stay in topic, I think that unlike Wizards101, when ranked does come around it will have to be divided by levels. The levels between players makes a bigger difference here than in wizards. In Wizards it is very possible to have a level 50 wizard beat a level 70 wizard if they happen to match up in ranked. In Pirates however, I don't see how a level 50 pirate can beat a level 65 with the difference not only in player levels, but also companions level.

Not sure how it could be implemented so that waiting times for matches doesn't take forever, but maybe something like max of 5-8 levels difference between the two players? Not sure, but this would improve the old wizard system and prevent unbalanced duels.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

That's it? Man you've got an easy job! That is, of course a joke, covered in playful sarcasm. Building a home for a client and fully appeasing them, can be quite a daunting task. But, I sir, would not want to have your job or to have to tackle the task of pleasing both sides of the 'Pv Spectrum'.

Actually, scratch that, I would like that job...I do enjoy a fantastic challenge.

Play on MacRat...play on!

Developer
Alex Hawkins on Jun 3, 2015 wrote:
Reading things like this make me excited! Even small teases like this of what might possibly come in the future help get the playerbase excited.

Thanks for the reply Ratbeard.

To stay in topic, I think that unlike Wizards101, when ranked does come around it will have to be divided by levels. The levels between players makes a bigger difference here than in wizards. In Wizards it is very possible to have a level 50 wizard beat a level 70 wizard if they happen to match up in ranked. In Pirates however, I don't see how a level 50 pirate can beat a level 65 with the difference not only in player levels, but also companions level.

Not sure how it could be implemented so that waiting times for matches doesn't take forever, but maybe something like max of 5-8 levels difference between the two players? Not sure, but this would improve the old wizard system and prevent unbalanced duels.
We do try to seed players against equally matched opponents, but this is trickier in P101 than you might think. Players who are the same level may have companions of widely disparate levels, and even then, players who have companions of the same level may not choose to use them. We could force you to lock in your teams before matchmaking, but this seems less fun; ditto for choosing "balanced" teams for you at match time.

This is to say nothing of each player's equipment and skill.

I have a head full of ideas on how to make a very balanced and predictive matchmaking system, but that has to be weighed against the amount of server time and player wait times it would require-- especially when viewed against a simpler, less restrictive level-based system that will certainly be "good enough" more often than not.

I do believe that at the top levels of competition, where it matters most, players will tend to be quite evenly matched on all metrics-- player level, companion level, gear, and skill.

Generally speaking, we would rather that players who queue for a match do get some kind of match, even if it is wildly lopsided, than to never get to play at all.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Ratbeard on Jun 3, 2015 wrote:
We do try to seed players against equally matched opponents, but this is trickier in P101 than you might think. Players who are the same level may have companions of widely disparate levels, and even then, players who have companions of the same level may not choose to use them. We could force you to lock in your teams before matchmaking, but this seems less fun; ditto for choosing "balanced" teams for you at match time.

This is to say nothing of each player's equipment and skill.

I have a head full of ideas on how to make a very balanced and predictive matchmaking system, but that has to be weighed against the amount of server time and player wait times it would require-- especially when viewed against a simpler, less restrictive level-based system that will certainly be "good enough" more often than not.

I do believe that at the top levels of competition, where it matters most, players will tend to be quite evenly matched on all metrics-- player level, companion level, gear, and skill.

Generally speaking, we would rather that players who queue for a match do get some kind of match, even if it is wildly lopsided, than to never get to play at all.
you could match people within 100 rank point of each other normally and add the match with anyone button, the best will rise which will result in fair matches, maybe another match requisite when choosing a match, companion lvls, say you choose lvl 65 only the lvl 65 companions would be shown when choosing companions, and if you dont have enough or any then the option for that lvl of companions is not available and also add a match with any button for this too, now if someone were to get say 3000 warlord that warlord could then be matched vs 2 privates with same lvl companions and pirates if a match could not be found, a player with this much skill will most certainly need to fight multiple opponents to have a challenge, i also have a question, would the class of your opponent be viewable while choosing companions? choosing jane canary, wild bill, and duck holiday wouldnt be ideal vs a buck

Developer
Sorry it's not explicitly mentioned in my post above, but yes, obviously your PvP rank will be considered as well.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

I am loving #4. Sounds like you have some fun surprises up your sleeves.

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
Nightblood1995 on May 24, 2015 wrote:
I've heard your point numerous times from other players when I used to attempt to get into PvPing. Practice PvP won't teach you much when it comes to Ranked, which is the primary issue. You veteran PvPers out there know what to do and can run with it, those that are new to the whole system end up as punching bags for the pros when they're simply trying to learn how to get the hang of things. This thread is not about eliminating PvP nor the Ranked system, it's about promoting a positive system that works well for beginners and pros alike.

And I'd have to disagree with the "Losers just take it with a grain of salt and move on to the next match" mindset, because everyone learns differently. If someone wants to learn to PvP, but is having a hard time learning, who are we to tell them they should give up cuz they're not 'gifted' or 'lucky' or 'smart'? I find the scoring system to be the biggest issue, those new PvPers that try to get in (and turn into fresh meat for the pros) have to watch their 'score' plummet; when you add in the fact that anyone around you can pull up your character stats and see you score, it can get to be seriously embarrassing fast.

Technically, the Badge system is already in place in Wizard101; you have to defeat a certain number of players for specific badges (may not be Rank titles, but it's very similar).

How does changing the system to where it's Badge-style without the scoring system lessening the challenge factor in any way? You're still going to go up against pros and rookies alike, you're still going to have to strategize and plan wisely, so how is removing the scoring system suddenly making the Ranked arena a playground?

Thanks for your feedback too, by the way! You have some very good points!
The biggest thing I disagree with is removing a ranking system, the idea is we need a place to at some point separate the pros/veterans from the noobs (Yes noob as in new, not bad) so how are these newer players going to learn if they have a 50/50 chance of getting a pro every match? Kind of bad and discouraging for newer players don't you think? That's the main reason the ranking system MUST STAY in this instance because how are people going to improve if they rely on pulling newer players so when they hit a pro they get discourage and quit but when they pull a noob they get a bit wild and see 'hey I can win a match' now making them have a roller coaster of emotion is if we made no ranking system to seperate this, rank is actually better for this. When you fight players of your skill lvl you slowly learn new strategies when you run into these improving/pro players ranking up, I remember on wiz when I knew nothing about pvp I got up to knight by grinding I had a horrible record but I saw hey I could beat some people so it encouraged me to learn more so when I hit the captain+ ranks I was able to put the determination into learning these top tier strategies because I saw that hey I'm not bad I'm in the middle but I can get better and reach the top IF I learn how.

This is the whole purpose of rank, and pvp in general, trying to create an environment for everyone in the first place is impossible even for pve wise, pvp is a lot harder and some people just don't have what it takes to learn it, who said that's bad? PvP is a harsher enviroment, its for thick thinned players to battle it out to prove whose the best, taking away a ranking system just doesn't work. They will most likely have practice matches in place for your goal you want to achieve here but you need to understand PvP is more of, here it is, here's how it works, buck it up and learn how to win if you care about it/strive to be on the top or go back to PvE

Developer
Ranked PvP will have (wait for it...) a ranking system.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
What orange says sounds harsh but its the truth with every games pvp, eat or be eaten, pvp or pve, pvp isnt for everyone, the battles are tough, the players even tougher, the only thing i pray for is this games community wont be like destinys, i could fill 2 posts just listing all the various things they think need to be changed, and there are a lot

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011

Love the ideas! May I add one more? Can we implement a system where if you move a character to one spot, their portrait on the board moves to wear they'd be so you can put another companion in the (now empty) same spot on the same turn? Example: Kobe and I are side by side. I move forward while he moves behind me in one turn. To me, this seems more realistic and promotes even more strategy, I personally don't see how you can't move a character into a space that just opened up on the same turn, that's kind of wasting a turn. If there's a reason for this, I'm all ears; just curious is all.

#5 is why I love this game so much XD you guys take everything you learned from Wizard101 and revamp/make everything better!

Can't wait for Ranked! I have a feeling it'll be very fun and memorable!

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
anecorbie on Jun 2, 2015 wrote:
To promote a positive Ranked experience I would like to have the "FLEE" option altered. I'm sure we've all experienced being abandoned in the middle ( or even start ) of a match. It seems some pirates can't stand being defeated and think fleeing will protect their record, or they don't trust the team they're playing with to heal or help them.
I would like to see the FLEE button replaced by a CONCEDE or SURENDER button. How this would work is this: if a pirate wishes to concede a match, they will click on the button, but they won't automatically be able to leave.
A notice then appears to the other pirates that says "One of the team would like to concede/surrender, do you agree?" With a "YAR" or "NAR" available. A concession/surrender must be unanimous, otherwise the match continues.
I'm interested in hearing feed back on this idea, is it too harsh?

NOTE: This is not blaming a low level pirate who flees when confronted by a team way beyond their level, fleeing in that case is sensible. And since we're talking about ranked PVP, I don't think an under leveled pirate will be facing such a situation.
I am all in favor for this. A brilliant idea! However, you also gotta remember that just because the other person can't flee (if you don't want them too) doesn't mean they won't just sit there and skip their turn either. Which is where teamwork needs to come into play. Just something to keep in mind

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
TechnomagePvP on Jun 4, 2015 wrote:
The biggest thing I disagree with is removing a ranking system, the idea is we need a place to at some point separate the pros/veterans from the noobs (Yes noob as in new, not bad) so how are these newer players going to learn if they have a 50/50 chance of getting a pro every match? Kind of bad and discouraging for newer players don't you think? That's the main reason the ranking system MUST STAY in this instance because how are people going to improve if they rely on pulling newer players so when they hit a pro they get discourage and quit but when they pull a noob they get a bit wild and see 'hey I can win a match' now making them have a roller coaster of emotion is if we made no ranking system to seperate this, rank is actually better for this. When you fight players of your skill lvl you slowly learn new strategies when you run into these improving/pro players ranking up, I remember on wiz when I knew nothing about pvp I got up to knight by grinding I had a horrible record but I saw hey I could beat some people so it encouraged me to learn more so when I hit the captain+ ranks I was able to put the determination into learning these top tier strategies because I saw that hey I'm not bad I'm in the middle but I can get better and reach the top IF I learn how.

This is the whole purpose of rank, and pvp in general, trying to create an environment for everyone in the first place is impossible even for pve wise, pvp is a lot harder and some people just don't have what it takes to learn it, who said that's bad? PvP is a harsher enviroment, its for thick thinned players to battle it out to prove whose the best, taking away a ranking system just doesn't work. They will most likely have practice matches in place for your goal you want to achieve here but you need to understand PvP is more of, here it is, here's how it works, buck it up and learn how to win if you care about it/strive to be on the top or go back to PvE
I thought I clarified this in my previous replies to this thread, I apologize if you weren't able to see it. I never intended to state the Ranking system should be removed, I meant to state that the scoring system should be revamped. From my experiences in Wizard101's PvP, losing seemed to cause you to lose a lot more points than winning. I could be totally wrong and if I am I apologize, it's just how it seemed to me.

Something I would suggest: if you win you get (for example) 100 points whereas if you lose you only lose like half that. Kind of gives players a chance to 'rebound' in their next match, if you get what I mean?

Again, sorry about that. I'd edit my original post if I could but, alas, it won't allow me to. If you were talking about me referring to switching the Ranking system out with the Badges system, there's little difference technically except one has scores while the other has 'kill count'. If you're opposed to that idea, I understand and respect your feedback X)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
What does the PVP community feel about spectators? I've witnessed some fascinating duels in W101, should P101 have grand stands from which to watch the participants? Should there be an option to 'mute' spectator chatter?